Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Nessmuk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
I have carried these in service. I know it is not the same. I am asking for one with the outward appearance, excepting the carry handle and other parts.
I want the solid butt stock, the triangular hand guard's, matte black.
I don't want some stupid folding, erector set butt stock.
I don't want a forearm that looks like manufactured bee habitat.
I do want to mount a scope on a rail
I do want to put it from safe to fire, and back again, without it being a two hand affair.
Is that a clear enough description, without knowing all the "correct" terms, nomenclature, model names?
As far as I am concerned, they are all AR's, M15's, copies of service rifles.
When I describe my Marlin lever action, I don't go 8nto some wided breakdown based on configuration. It is my Marlin lever 30-30.
I'd like an AR, 5.56, as I described. Nit picking internet correction police aside.

Last edited by Nessmuk; 02/16/23.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You need to check out the link I posted.
You'll have to buy an A3/A4 (flattop) with round handguards and replace them with the triangles you want.

Politics is War by Other Means
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Nessmuk
I have carried these in service. I know it is not the same. I am asking for one with the outward appearance, excepting the carry handle and other parts.
I want the solid butt stock, the triangular hand guard's, matte black.
I don't want some stupid folding, erector set butt stock.
I don't want a forearm that looks like manufactured bee habitat.
I do want to mount a scope on a rail
I do want to put it from safe to fire, and back again, without it being a two hand affair.
Is that a clear enough description, without knowing all the "correct" terms, nomenclature, model names?
As far as I am concerned, they are all AR's, M15's, copies of service rifles.
When I describe my Marlin lever action, I don't go 8nto some wided breakdown based on configuration. It is my Marlin lever 30-30.
I'd like an AR, 5.56, as I described. Nit picking internet correction police aside.
thats the joy. Build em like you want em.

Love the erector butt stocks for hunting guns. So easy to change length of pull for different shooters.

Get the parts and put it together.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tyrone
You need to check out the link I posted.
You'll have to buy an A3/A4 (flattop) with round handguards and replace them with the triangles you want.
The other option would be to buy the tools and buy the parts you want. Go to AR15.com and they have a beginner section and a builder section. There are places that sell the new version of the triangle hand guard. To get an original pair without any broken teeth could be pricey. The skinny barrel with the front sight tower can be found. This is the 20" with the 1/7 twist. The original is a 1/12 twist.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts...s/ar-15-20-a1-rifle-barrel-1-7-assembly/
here is the 1/12 twist
https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts.../ar-15-20-a1-rifle-barrel-1-12-assembly/

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
N
Nessmuk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Which twist is best for varmint hunting bullets?

IC B2

N
Nessmuk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
I tried AR15.com
I was flooded with spam emails. I call them spam anyhow, very pernicious.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Which twist is best for varmint hunting bullets?

If you're talking about light, short bullets anything from 1-7 to 1-12 will work. The faster twists are for stabilizing long heavy bullets.

1-8 is a very common rate of twist found in AR barrels these days. Many bolt rifles still use the 1-12 twist. The original AR/M16 had a 1-12 twist.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
You can look into Rock River Arms. They have the A4 sold without the carry handle in left or right hand.I have the Stag and it has the removable carry handle. I bought it to have an iron sight center fire to have fun with and never have any sort of optic on it. Lots of fun!

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=92

Last edited by PaintedDesert; 02/16/23.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PaintedDesert
You can look into Rock River Arms. They have the A4 sold without the carry handle in left or right hand.I have the Stag and it has the removable carry handle. I bought it to have an iron sight center fire to have fun with and never have any sort of optic on it. Lots of fun!

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=92

That RRA is a nice rifle and they have a 1 moa accuracy guarantee, if that matters. All the op would have to do is change the handguard out to his liking. I'd just shoot it as is, with the handguard shown, but that is just me.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like you got it figured out…

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
But it seems nobody is making a real A2 upper, or even selling the upper receiver any more. I heard some chatter about PSA offering retro upper receiver at some point, but it's not happening yet.

PSA does make A1 slickside and otherwise upper receivers with the fixed carry handles, but they're gone within 15 minutes whenever they drop them, and most end up on GunBroker at $300-500. They're under the H&R brand, I have a blem one that I got on my 4th try attempting to beat the scalpers. The blem was a slightly off center takedown pin hole, not enough to prevent use but just enough to be annoying.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ClayBelt
But it seems nobody is making a real A2 upper, or even selling the upper receiver any more. I heard some chatter about PSA offering retro upper receiver at some point, but it's not happening yet.

PSA does make A1 slickside and otherwise upper receivers with the fixed carry handles, but they're gone within 15 minutes whenever they drop them, and most end up on GunBroker at $300-500. They're under the H&R brand, I have a blem one that I got on my 4th try attempting to beat the scalpers. The blem was a slightly off center takedown pin hole, not enough to prevent use but just enough to be annoying.

Geez, that sounds expensive to me. Wonder how much a good receiver would cost?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If I was a guessing man, I'd say it'll probably be about 170 before shipping and tax once they iron out the issues which made the last couple batches blems. Mine came from the last batch and was $140, $168 once tax and shipping was taken care of.

N
Nessmuk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Is there a down side to buying an 80% receiver and building from there? Will accuracy be the same, if a quality barrel and bolt are bought?
Using a right hand receiver isn't a big deal, so long as it has a brass deflector.

Last edited by Nessmuk; 02/17/23.

N
Nessmuk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
If I have somehow, at some time, in some way, managed to phrase a question in such a fashion as to get some ones knickers in a bunch, well...

Excuuuuse Me!

Last edited by Nessmuk; 02/18/23.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I have somehow, at some time, in some way, managed to phrase a question in such a fashion as to get some ones knickers in a bunch, well...

Excuuuuse Me!

Huh???? What are you talking about?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is there a down side to buying an 80% receiver and building from there? Will accuracy be the same, if a quality barrel and bolt are bought?
Using a right hand receiver isn't a big deal, so long as it has a brass deflector.
I would not screw with an 80%. FWIW, YMMV

Politics is War by Other Means
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Excuuuuse Me!

Your original post is very contradictory. As is the title, compared to what you seek. That is why you are getting some of this feedback.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Excuuuuse Me!

Your original post is very contradictory. As is the title, compared to what you seek. That is why you are getting some of this feedback.

Most guys here are trying to help him, but I don't think he gets it..

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Excuuuuse Me!

Most guys here are trying to help him, but I don't think he gets it..

That's how it comes across.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

350 members (12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 35 invisible), 1,718 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,002
Posts18,481,273
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.