-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Does anyone like these? I got a couple new sets a while back. The 243 die was actually a 7mm-08 die, but both sets I got are terribly hard to adjust, for this very long term RCBS user. I have had pure Hell trying to size brass with them.<P>The sizing operation is so much harder to do with these dies than any others I have. I always set up a new set of dies for an individual rifle and buy new, even if I have a set for the same cartridge already. I was able to use different dies during the sizing operation.<P>On the same brass the Hornady dies stopped at random places during the operation and jumped and jerked all over the place. The same brass in RCBS dies worked smoothly and perfectly in my Bonanza Co-ax press.<P>Decided the other day to send them back with a nasty letter. Anybody had similar results?<BR>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
HR IC

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sitka Deer,<P>I've never cared for them either.<P>My problem is with the decapping pin. Because Hornady decided to use the locking nut to "squeeze" the rod, as a means to hold it in position, as opposed to threading the rod, I've had the whole decapping rod slide down the die when lowering the ram (raising the press handle.) Seems like no matter how tight I torqued that nut, the rod would still sometimes slide down, and get stuck in the case. Even lubing the inside of the necks didn't always work.<P>On one set of dies, I threaded that rod, and added another lock nut to hold it. What a pain.<P>Their bullet seating die, with the fancy guide that drops down works okay. But often the guide gets jammed up into the die, and doesn't do it's "guiding" job at all.<P>I've become a big fan of RCBS and Redding dies now. Given a choice, I always buy Redding dies.

Brian

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have but one set of Hornady's in .300 Win mag and bullet run-out is only .001" (= same as my Redding competition dies). Could be a fluke but then, I paid the price of regular dies to get competition grade quality. Based on that single experience, I won't hesitate to buy them again.

Andre
--------------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I like the seating die for general apps, but like the rest of you, the resizing die sucks because of that collet.<BR>I have a decapping pin sitting in front of me with the cartridge still wrapped around it. It went in and stayed in.<BR>It just reinforces my belief that expander balls and cases don't mix (unless you've got no choice).<BR>Since I shoot only bolt action and single shots, sizing the neck and the occasional run into a Redding body die work for me...regardless of cal.<P>Safe Shooting!<BR>Steve Redgwell<BR>303british.com

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Decapping rods held in by a two slot collet are a pain.To make them work follow the same instructions as drill chuck tapers.WASH ALL TRACES OF OIL with a good solvent.Tighten hard but don't strip the threads.good luck on that.A easy way to free the rod ,use a tubing cutter.Guess how I know [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
To my way of thinking the de-capping rod was just a bad idea, not a fatal flaw. The rough way that they work was what really annoyed me. The difference was amazing. I even over oiled the die, just to make sure it was not for lack of lube. While it helped when there was too much oil there, as soon as it was swabbed out with a clean rag and cycled with a couple pieces of brass it was right back to jerking.<P>While machining tolerances might be tight on them, I've not had a problem with other makes. But I am not looking for bench-rest accuracy either.<BR>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a couple of sets of the New Dimention dies , and they work superbly for me . Have not seen any of the problems you guys report . If you have one that does not resize correctly , I recommend you contact Hornady , they have great customer service and I am sure they will make it right for you . I bent a decapping rod , stritly my own fault . A quick phone call got me a new one within three days , no charge .

L
L
Wow! I can't believe everybody hates the new dimension dies. I have 2 sets and have never had a problem. A little reflection on it has made me pause. My dies are in 7-08 and .284 Win. Both have short necks, I tumble my cases and lube the neck with mica before sizing. I also load cast bullets so I expand the case necks with M-dies more often than not.<BR>I'm glad you guys brought this up. I might consider sticking with RCBS dies in calibers with longer necks.<P>Dean

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (16gage, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 52 invisible), 2,760 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,550
Posts18,510,298
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.