Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
pka45 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Is it too much to ask for a stainless (or even nitride), micro-length, decent OAL-capable, fast twist 223 bolt rifle?

I guess it is.

Also, Howa, come on and import that SS Mini!

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What does micro-length mean?

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
P
pka45 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Micro length action.

My other requirement is weighing under 6 lbs. I’m too picky, I know.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Buy a Howa mini and Cerakote it whatever color you want. wink

Or buy a mini action and CF barrel and stock. My Howa .223 9 twist is the most accurate factory rifle I have. It’s heavy AF though with a Varmint profile barrel.

Isaiah 6:8

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by pka45
Is it too much to ask for a stainless (or even nitride), micro-length, decent OAL-capable, fast twist 223 bolt rifle?

I guess it is.

You’re asking for a mini action 223 but requesting a fast twist and decent OAL. You won’t get the oal with the mini so the twist doesn’t help much.

Tikka connects the most dots but it sounds like the action length will bother you. I’m not sure if the standard length Howa is offered with a faster twist barrel or not?

IC B2

P
pka45 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Yeah, the Howa is the closest. With bottom metal to get 2.45ish OAL and a decent stock, but it’s not stainless!

The Tikka would be great too, but I can’t handle that giant action on what should be a petite rifle…

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The new Remington's have an 8 twist. Pick up a short action and shorten the barrel until you get under 6 lbs. I have a Ruger American compact in .223 with an 8 twist and 18" barrel. I have never weighed it but it's less than 7 lbs. The only downside is the magazine.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by kwg020
I have a Ruger American compact in .223 with an 8 twist and 18" barrel. I have never weighed it but it's less than 7 lbs. The only downside is the magazine.

kwg

A very easy and worthwhile fix, buy an AI magwell directly from Ruger so you can use the AI magazines. turns the downside into an upside, then to finish it off schitt can the trigger and put on a timney

P
pka45 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I have an American to use at work, but I’m too snobby for that Tupperware stock smile

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yeah, the Howa is the closest. With bottom metal to get 2.45ish OAL and a decent stock, but it’s not stainless!

The Tikka would be great too, but I can’t handle that giant action on what should be a petite rifle…

The mini with bdl seems closest to the listed want. Shoot out the barrel and replace it with stainless. I prefer a stainless action but I can live with cm there.....a cm barrel irks me more than a cm action. Just grabbed one in Grendel and I'll likely rebarrel at some point....but I'll enjoy the cm barrel for a while.

A stainless M7 action with .223 bolt, AICS bm, and a stainless barrel is a nice custom route. Can also be done in bdl or adl.

A Defiance anti in the M7 length with a .223 bolt, AICS bm, and stainless barrel of choice is the upper end of light done right....though it's still going to be large compared to the mini.

A stainless Kimber Montana in .223 is close but needs mag work for oal and a faster twist.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

I guess it is.

I've got a friend gacking through this at present. Kimber is really the only option if you're looking for a SS action, scaled down diameter (it's still long enough for 2.8" cases), that the mag-box can be modified to accept a ~2.5" COAL, and you still need a new bbl with a faster twist for most of the higher BC 75gn+ projectiles. NOBODY makes one outta the gate. Perhaps when the KIWI Fieldcraft is reintroduced???

Last edited by horse1; 02/20/23.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
What does micro-length mean?

Ask your wife.. ha ha..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Build what you want.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kwg020
The new Remington's have an 8 twist. Pick up a short action and shorten the barrel until you get under 6 lbs. I have a Ruger American compact in .223 with an 8 twist and 18" barrel. I have never weighed it but it's less than 7 lbs. The only downside is the magazine.

kwg

I'd probably just chop an SS700 at 18", thread it, and put it in a McMillan of Edge-fill. It might not be sub-6lb, but it won't be that much over.

Now with even more aplomb
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Ok,,,,, FWIW this is what I've been Shooting for awhile now, and both Shoot-Lights Out, as long as I do my part..... and the weight isn't an issue for me, but then again,,,, I'm just an Old Retired Marine,,,,,, but I've been Doggin, since about 1963, or there abouts...... cry
Lj cool

Attached Images
LJ's Been Busy in Alaska (1).jpg (64.46 KB, 960 downloads)
Last edited by AK375DGR; 02/20/23.

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
P
pka45 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by AK375DGR
Ok,,,,, FWIW this is what I've been Shooting for awhile now, and both Shoot-Lights Out, as long as I do my part..... and the weight isn't an issue for me, but then again,,,, I'm just an Old Retired Marine,,,,,, but I've been Doggin, since about 1963, or there abouts...... cry
Lj cool

I need mine to be smaller and lighter than that, so I can carry 7 of them at once, along with my 100# dumbbells, and run faster than my buddies on their snowmobiles, and shoot 25 wolves per day, since 1928, and still have enough energy to come home and play with my 5 sets of male triplets, from the 5 times I was in the same room as my wife for more than 60 seconds, and then brag about it on internet gun forums… smile

Good advice all, and thanks for the laughs. I’m hard to please; I know this. As does my wife.

The Montana is a great option, and probably the best one for me, but if my 223 is the same size as a 308, something just seems off…

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Build one on a M700 action and run AICS mags/BM. An advantage over a micro action is commonality of form factor with your “real” rifles, and also almost unlimited high quality aftermarket parts.

Mine is an AI (hey jeff, 2008 called, they want their 223AI back, lol) and frankly, the AI is worth it, if you have the twist and COAL to properly take advantage of the extra case capacity.

My kid wrecking clays at around 500. Pac Nor barrel, Timney trigger, Outlander stock and Greyboe BM (thanks Stick).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
P
pka45 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Beautiful pic. I do love the AI and would much prefer it, but it seemed too much to ask for in a production rifle. Maybe I just need to buy a Mini action, have it nitrided, AI'd, and put it in a carbon stock...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Beautiful pic. I do love the AI and would much prefer it, but it seemed too much to ask for in a production rifle. Maybe I just need to buy a Mini action, have it nitrided, AI'd, and put it in a carbon stock...

I love the .223AI. I've had them ADL and BDL (with the mag box mod) on 700's and 7's. They can be made to feed ok....but after using the first AICS, they're all AICS now. That however is Rem action based.

Thinking specifically of the mini, I'd like to see Jeferson Oudoors bdl and blind mag setups to see if they are centerfeed. If they are, it might make the .223AI feed smoother.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks pka! She’s a good kid.

I did the rebarrel on mine, and yes the AICS mags made a world of difference with the feeding, but I should’ve cut more of a bevel at the chamber mouth while I had it all set up originally. It was my first rebarrel and I erred on the side of caution; I left it a bit too sharp and you can feel that steep AI shoulder going over it. One of these years I’ll pull that barrel back off, throw it on the lathe, and fix that.

I also have a couple pounds of Lever and the intent is to switch it over from H335 to the Lever (with 75 ELD’s). But boy, the H335/75 ELD combo “ain’t broke” if you know what I mean!

If you look closely there’s a little brake on the muzzle. I made that; it’s a 2-slot semi copy of the early Holland brake. It wasn’t to reduce recoil per se, it was to reduce muzzle jump so I could see the little bullets hit at longer ranges. Works great! LOUD.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,215
Posts18,485,495
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.