Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Anybody calling at night?

Tips, tactics, gear used?

I do have a red and green scope mounted light.

Will I need a headlamp or a handheld for scanning?

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 02/19/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have the big boars come in to calls quite often at night. Baby cottontail and pup distress have both pulled in several this year. Try to hunt near a creek or river as they concentrate coons quite densely. I walked about a half mile of river bank the other night out calling coyotes. I was using a thermal and saw probably 15-20 coon on the walk in. Killed two from my second set that both came to the call. One probably weighed 30+ pounds. He looked like a damn bear in the thermal and was about 4’ from the call when my buddy shot him. My call has a fighting coon sound on it but I’ve never tried it as I’m always trying to kill coyotes. Coons have tremendous night vision so be aware of that. I’ve seen several spot me from 100 yards or more while walking quietly without a light. Good luck, I’m sure you’ll kill several if there are coons where you’re calling.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Red light for scanning and shooting. Baby cottontail is a good bet.

One of many...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by ingwe; 02/21/23.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Talked to the local game warden. The way the regs are written it appears you can use a light but once you get to the fine print no lights for coons at night. Just coyotes.

Guess if a coon shows up on a coyote stand he gets to walk!!😎😎

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Talked to the local game warden. The way the regs are written it appears you can use a light but once you get to the fine print no lights for coons at night. Just coyotes.

F that

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Rickshaw

F that

Exactly. What do the hound guys do when they get a coon treed? Gonna be tough to see them without a light.

If you REALLY want to be law abiding, coons will come to a fight call in the daytime...late evening preferred .

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Rickshaw

F that

Exactly. What do the hound guys do when they get a coon treed? Gonna be tough to see them without a light.

If you REALLY want to be law abiding, coons will come to a fight call in the daytime...late evening preferred .
Bad wording on my part. Can use a light if treed with hounds.

We call them in the daytime, I was just wanting to try some night time calling for them.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 02/21/23.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
the Lucky Duck guys are showing that you can call coons all day long. They got a pretty good video on Youtube showing some up and close double barrel shotgun action.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A friend of mine did coon calling in the day time just last week. They had a fighting coon call and they were coming out of every tree. I want to give it a try sometime.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Have had good luck with a "coon puppies" distress sound.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TRnCO
the Lucky Duck guys are showing that you can call coons all day long. They got a pretty good video on Youtube showing some up and close double barrel shotgun action.
That is a good watch. They have a couple of older ones that have some up close action.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,482 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,679
Posts18,493,859
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.