Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I was looking at a pre-64 model 70 in 375 H&H and was wondering what the average going rate….ballpark…on the rifle if it was in honest condition? It hasn’t been altered in any way that I can see.

I hate being “that guy” but I’m making an exception this time. 😀

Thanks in advance guys. 👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
"That guy".... The one up really late at night asking questions? "Honest condition" doesn't really say what condition it's in. Is it 80, 90, 95% condition? If it is unaltered/all original, that is a plus.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I said honest condition because it’s almost 70 years old and not abused…. I’ve always disliked the percentage based numbers but I understand why some people do so for a percentage I’d say it’s 85%+. It’s damn near 70 years old so I think it’s in excellent shape for its age. I might have to go back and look at it closer…

It had a rear site that I think is factory but it’s not the same as the one on my 1 year older 30-06…the 375 rear site was a “rough V” with no outline.

I’m being “that guy” because these threads, like the one I started 😀, are exceedingly difficult to answer without pictures and details but I decided to throw the dice and do it anyway.

I think they’re asking $1200 or $1300 which seemed like a good deal for a pre-64 375.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I said honest condition because it’s almost 70 years old and not abused…. I’ve always disliked the percentage based numbers but I understand why some people do so for a percentage I’d say it’s 85%+. It’s damn near 70 years old so I think it’s in excellent shape for its age. I might have to go back and look at it closer…

It had a rear site that I think is factory but it’s not the same as the one on my 1 year older 30-06…the 375 rear site was a “rough V” with no outline.

I’m being “that guy” because these threads, like the one I started 😀, are exceedingly difficult to answer without pictures and details but I decided to throw the dice and do it anyway.

I think they’re asking $1200 or $1300 which seemed like a good deal for a pre-64 375.

That is a hell of a good deal, based on your description. It sounds like it may be an original sight. It would look like this:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IF it is all original and in 85% condition, that rifle will hold it's value which is right around $2,800.00+, from what I've seen. I'd buy it at $1,200.00. I've sold rechambered 375's for more than that.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
12-1300 is a STEAL on anything original P64 375 in nice condition that hasn’t been chopped or whooped on too bad. The darned actions are going for 1k pretty easily most days.

Semper Fi
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Saw a really.minty pre 64 375 bring 3275 last Friday at a local auction...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks a lot guys. I’ll go check it out!

That is the exact same rear site. Thanks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks a lot guys. I’ll go check it out!

That is the exact same rear site. Thanks

When you do, check it over really well for cracks in the stock. Behind the tang especially. Also, It should also have a 25" barrel. Some guys have shortened them, so keep an eye on that. Another thing to watch out for is, make sure it is an H&H receiver. It will look like this from the top side looking down:

Make sure it looks like this, with the holes closer in the rear bridge and the cutouts at the rear and front of the bridges to allow for the longer H&H cartridges. Don't laugh, there have been guys that bought an H&H rifle, only to find out that it was built on a standard receiver.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks. It was a 25”bbl and I specifically looked for cracks but it looked great. The bore was bright with strong rifling.

I’ll update tomorrow.

Thanks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks. It was a 25”bbl and I specifically looked for cracks but it looked great. The bore was bright with strong rifling.

I’ll update tomorrow.

Thanks
An unmolested action (no extra side mount holes) is worth nearly the ask; hopefully it’s still there for you.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

I’ll update tomorrow.

Thanks

Great news, looking forward to the update.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

I’ll update tomorrow.

Thanks
An unmolested action (no extra side mount holes) is worth nearly the ask; hopefully it’s still there for you.

For sure!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sweet, can't wait for pictures and the rest of the story!!

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Sounds like late 80s or early 90s price to me... great deal, especially if original!!! Nothing wrong with a little "patina" from love and use... just gives them character and certainly has not hurt the interest in old Winchester levers if that means anything.

If nothing else Ace', you have provided a great cabin fever diversion and have got the "fire competitive juices boiling away. I, like many others, will likely make an extra effort to force myself to hit the local hide-outs here in the next day or so looking for "treasure!!!"

Good luck with the rest of the "hunt!"

Last edited by lundtroller; 02/28/23.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Aces...you buy this thing? If not, you can just PM me the info and I'll remove the temptation for you. LOL

He went over yonder way
P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
ha, ya, regardless if somethings not right, id be on it.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I bought a pre-64 375 H&H almost a year ago to the day. Very clean gun, all original. I'm not sure what percentage I'd assign to it but similar to your assessment I considered it very good condition relative to the age of the gun. I believe it was manufactured in 1960 but I'd have to look at the serial number. It was not a Super Grade. I paid $2,000 and was pretty happy with that price. I've monitored them since. I would say most of them are being listed between $2700 and $3500 (but you can "ask" whatever you want for them).

For what it's worth, I threw a Leupold VX6HD 1-6-24 scope on it and mine is a tack driver. Might be my favorite gun in the safe. Fits like a custom.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think you did great at 2k for a clean 375!

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Hey guys…sorry for not getting back to this thread but I do appreciate everyone giving their learned opinions, that’s why I love this site. I’ve said before that a guy could carefully vet the active members here and if he chose a half dozen or so he could accomplish anything! The knowledge is vast and freely shared and I appreciate that.

Update…

I had time (and remembered) so I swung by and surprised that it’s still there. It is original EXCEPT the original owner bought it 1954 and had it rechambered immediately to 375 Weatherby….other than that it is, in some respect, still a 375 H&H with the luxury of churning out fire formed 375 Weatherby brass. 😀

It’s $1299 and I had it set aside while I continue to mull over something that I don’t need….but it’s NEVER been about need, it’s always been about feeding the illness. 😀

Thanks again guys.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Unless you are buying a gun for collector status I do not understand why folks get all bent out of shape over one being rechambered to 375 Weatherby. If you are actually going to hunt with a gun it is going to get beat up some and that will lower its value to a collector. So will it be a hunting tool or a safe queen?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey guys…sorry for not getting back to this thread but I do appreciate everyone giving their learned opinions, that’s why I love this site. I’ve said before that a guy could carefully vet the active members here and if he chose a half dozen or so he could accomplish anything! The knowledge is vast and freely shared and I appreciate that.

Update…

I had time (and remembered) so I swung by and surprised that it’s still there. It is original EXCEPT the original owner bought it 1954 and had it rechambered immediately to 375 Weatherby….other than that it is, in some respect, still a 375 H&H with the luxury of churning out fire formed 375 Weatherby brass. 😀

It’s $1299 and I had it set aside while I continue to mull over something that I don’t need….but it’s NEVER been about need, it’s always been about feeding the illness. 😀

Thanks again guys.
Let me know where it is and I may have a go at it, I could use the action

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

So you want to arbitrarily look at it and decide what "for it's age means?" When a perfectly valid designation for condition is available as a standard? That is beyond ridiculous! A long while back I sold a huge stack of rifles brand new in boxes here from the '60s and '70s. Would they be better than new for their age?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you want to sell the stock let me know👀

Shoot it and enjoy it!

A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
I know this is an old post but found exactly what I was looking for and wanted to say thanks

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by adamsguy
I know this is an old post but found exactly what I was looking for and wanted to say thanks

This is an old thread. I'm wondering if the OP ended up buying said rifle in the OP? The price would have still been pretty good, even though it had been rechambered to 375 WBY. I actually sold one a couple years ago, and got far more than the price the OP stated. As for the 375 H&H pre 64 model 70, if in original condition, they sure hold their value well. I saw one over the summer that was original, and the asking price was $1,999.99. That rifle didn't last long on the rack either. I went back to check on it, and it was gone a month later. Then I saw another one in better condition for nearly $3,000.00.. Like what has been said here, by some guys in the know: The H&H actions are worth the asking price of the OP's complete rifle in question. Then the stocks are worth quite a bit as well, if all original.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,301
Posts18,487,087
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.