Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
So we have lost power again. Probably the 10th time since christmas. We have lived here 23 years and have never lost power until this winter. Saw numerous people warning about upcoming power outages in the fall, but sadly didnt take it serious. We are getting a gen installed, but that wont be for a little while yet. We have heat taken care of, so all good there. Questuin is, can anyone confirm that these power issues are now the new norm with this f uc k stick of an illegal government we have now? Ive read they are killing coal fired power plants and the grid is taking a serious beating. Surely someone here has some knowledge on this

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Stands to reason.
Not sure of your area,but here in NewYorkistan they are pushing electric everything.
W/o massive upgrades,doesn't seem like it will work.

Last edited by rong; 03/04/23.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Check out what is going on in Cape Town.... The lose power 3-4 days a week these days.... But thst has nothing to do with who is managing things down there these days...

You might try calling your Senator.....if you can find him that is...it seems that his staff keeps blocking anyone who asks about him.

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 03/04/23.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Grid stability is very local. Talk to your lineman and find out what's going on.

I know the linemen hate the area we live. Power is out all the time. NG generator is about mandatory.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Someplaces are worse than others.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting guys. Thanks for the comments. Last nigth was the last straw. Finally got the wife on board. Starting the process of getting a gen installed

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We lost power last night as the storms rolled through. It was restored in about 5 hours. Spent the night eating ice cream and drinking Bourbon. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We spent $10,000 installing a Generac this fall. Hope to never use it. Last week, we had ice forecast with the possibility of losing power. We wound up on the edge and just had enough of a glaze to make driving/walking an adventure. I know full well that the only thing that spared us from more ice and a power outage was the fact that I had bought the generator. Since the population of the town is right around 2500, I think that a "thank you" donation of $4 per person would not be a financial burden on anyone and would reimburse me for protecting the town.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I lost power for 4 days last month due to an ice storm which uprooted trees, broke branches, and even caused a large TV antenna to collapse(onto a power line). This is the second time in 3 years that we've had a major power outage. After 2021, I bought a small 2KW generator that really helped out. I wish I had spent more time on wiring but it was good enough.

[Linked Image from lh3.googleusercontent.com]

Quando omni flunkus moritati
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The problem is directly related to power companys skimping on right of way maint. that is they aren't trimming & cutting enough tree's. When the dericho hit here some years ago, many including me were without power for a week or more, during a heat wave, 100*. Hell, it hasn't been that hot since. The power Co., APCO caught so much heat they have been prunning every since. The POLICY before that don't do any prunning, even if a tree was leaning on a power line, until power was lost !!! I was able to buy a 9000 gen at Northern tool the next day. They were shipping in gen's from Warehouse's down south in violent weather territory. Hell 9000 watts is nothing trying to power a modern house. That won't run central air. Anyway I poured gas in the gen night & day, running several fans, toaster , coffee maker frig's & freezer. I figured I would spend $1,500 a month on that noisy bitch without AC. Gotta say that makes The electric bill seem like a bargain

"not too grumpy"
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I should go out and look, but I think we've run about 90 hours on our whole house gen since first of the year. It fires every Monday evening for 5 mins to make sure everything is working. It's not cheap, but it's nice to have.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Most of our outages are 18 hrs plus.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
We never lost power for 23 years of living here and we have had much worse storms than what we have been dealing with this year. Hell, its been an easy winter here. Our power company has called twice this winter already with a recording to start reducing power use or they were going to do rolling black outs. None of this has ever happened here. Eye opening for us and has forced us into other ways to power our home. Not sure when the electrician is going to make it here, but it wont be soon enough.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where you at Champ?

Never had outages that lasted here in 23 years, but we used to get flickers and
brown outs. Reseting clocks almost daily.

Bedford REA. We are at the end of a loop, I can see the circuit breaker fron the living room window. A few years ago they put up new lines, and ended the problem.

Not sure what you need or for how long, but you can run house good enough for
me on a 5-8k generator. For awhile.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
It takes 12 or 18 hours before we even consider firing up the generator.

I am MAGA.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Commyfornia is pushing everyone here to get Solar.

I have received 5 calls form contractors in the past month and I received a letter from Edison power Company.
almost demanding that I get Solar this past week.

One of the Contractors that called me. I really screwed with her.
I told her that I already have partial Solar and that I am not hooked up to the Grid so Edison can not suck all of my power during the day and leave me in the dark at night.

She went on to do the hard sell.
And I told her that if Edison and the Contractors did not stop the Harassment about installing Solar.
I would upgrade my system and tell Edison to come take the meter off of my house.

The lady did not know what to say.
I was the one that had to hang up because I think she was looking threw her little book trying to find what she was supposed to say in response to what I told her.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
While I live in south west Mississippi we have similar problems. In times past the regulated utilities which thankfully we still have were more concerned about reliability so spent more on transmission and distribution systems. Now they put off O&M costs as long as possible so that they can charge those expenses off to storm damage which they can do as a capital expense and make more money on those repairs than they are allowed to do on regular O&M operating expenses. So - reliability suffers. I retired from the generation side of one of those utilities and saw what they did to transmission and distribution. Your outages are probably due to problems with the distribution lines servicing your area which doesn’t help as you are still without power.

I put in a whole house natural gas fueled standby generator before I retired after seeing a small town ~ 13 miles from me go without power for a week because the utility did not have the parts required for repair anywhere within their system…. This isn’t going to get any better. If you can afford a generator, get one - you won’t regret it.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Where you at Champ?

Never had outages that lasted here in 23 years, but we used to get flickers and
brown outs. Reseting clocks almost daily.

Bedford REA. We are at the end of a loop, I can see the circuit breaker fron the living room window. A few years ago they put up new lines, and ended the problem.

Not sure what you need or for how long, but you can run house good enough for
me on a 5-8k generator. For awhile.
Im close to prince gallitzin

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
How long do you guys think chest freezers could sit without power in a fairly cool garage before the food begins to thaw? I understand this would just be opinions. 12 hrs no power and mine were still froze solid. Im figuring a day maybe?

Last edited by gunchamp; 03/04/23.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I'd be firing up LP and pressure canning before waiting for someone to have an answer....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 52 invisible), 17,781 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,889
Posts18,538,530
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.