B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Raspy
Originally Posted by slumlord
Well yea, no shît

But for every day folk, no one is gonna make change off of a Krugerrand for a bottle of dollar general grape dimetap cold medicine for a sick baby.

So maybe about 3 smoothed-out mercury dimes would suffice for currency swap.

Aside from fat peking duck or pint of booze

For small grocery type items, a few years ago, I picked up 300 each, 1/10th ounce silver rounds, for $1.25 each....they are about the size of dimes...but now they are about $5 each....stock up on silver, ammo, and guns.
you have 1/10 silver rounds, that you wish to trade. I have a 12 gauge loaded with buckshot. What do you think your trade status is

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I think of it just as Slummy put it, a currency swap. It's been referred to this way since I began studying the subject 45 years ago. A dime or quarter in leu of a five gallon bucket of of hyper inflated paper.
22RF thought of same, & I thought so too. Until I grew up a bit & realized what desperate folks are capable of. Ain't trading ammo to somebody that will kill me with it just to get back what they traded for it.
Small denominations of silver for currency, bigger weights of gold might help maintain wealth, but otherwise not spendable for everyday things that might me needed.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by blanket
Originally Posted by Hastings
Be easier to trade ammo
For a short time, yes. What happens next is a de facto government gets set up and money is scarce and barter sets in. That is when an easily identified U.S. coin with known silver or gold content becomes valuable.
Look to history, whiskey was the coin of the realm. A metal has less value in a trade than a commodity
True, except coins of precious metal are easy to transport and if I need eggs you might not want my cornmeal or turnips. Currency of gold and silver coins have served for thousands of years. The trouble with barter is finding someone with something you need that needs something you have to trade.

Whiskey was a good way to sell grain because it didn't spoil and along with being easier to transport it was in demand. Abraham Lincoln spoke of his father trading in whiskey as a sort of money.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
For small grocery type items, a few years ago, I picked up 300 each, 1/10th ounce silver rounds, for $1.25 each....they are about the size of dimes...but now they are about $5 each....stock up on silver, ammo, and guns.
you have 1/10 silver rounds, that you wish to trade. I have a 12 gauge loaded with buckshot. What do you think your trade status is
Is that a fresh, new 12 gauge or one that has been sitting around for a decade and a half, changed hands about 20 times and has verdigris on the brass?

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lead with a little copper.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

anyone pretending that what blanket posted, isnt going to be whats happening, will be in for a very rude awakening.
letting anyone know you posses anything of value is going to get you dead, unless you have the means to protect what you have.
those who didnt ,will wish they'd invested in lead.

.... like tears in the rain
A
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A
Well yea, no shît

But for every day folk, no one is gonna make change off of a Krugerrand for a bottle of dollar general grape dimetap cold medicine for a sick baby.

Absolutely Nothing ..

Say it Again..

Absolutely Nothing..

Good God Ya’ll ..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well yea, no shît

I have 1/10 silver rounds, a loaded 12 gauge, an AR and a handgun, you have a 12 gauge. I think my bargaining position trumps yours.................... smile

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Which brings us back to my original thesis.

People with guns and ammo will set commodity prices.

I'd probably trade for your 1/10th as an antibacterial (thanks, I hadn't thought of that).

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
penicillin for fish, is the same penicillin for humans , and is available online, for a fraction of the cost.
Fishicillan.

.... like tears in the rain
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Cull- as in old 90% pre 64 coinage that posses no numismatic value

For example you can get cull mercury dimes for about 4$ each from Ampex

Would this be a medium?

Ir would other essentials serve better?

Silver is about $22 an ounce
The answer is yes and yes.
Many posters think they will survive when shtf with fire arms. Literally everyone will have fire arms.
Realistically, shtf scenarios are long away, though I will admit living in a metro area today is similar.
One reason silver coins as referred as 'constitutional' is that they are delineated there in.

Many states are currently telling the Fed.gov to piss off, that they are recognizing gold and silver coins (an bullion) as "specie" I'll let you look that up. Some are telling (in their bills) them that they will not allow the government to change to an electronic currency, than not recognizing it or enforcing it. Unfortunately, some are.

Shtf scenarios have been going on since the dawn of time. In the US, for decades upon decades, though more recently since 1965. There is nothing wrong with spending fiat dollars (worthless) on
fire arms, ammo, whiskey, medicines, and everything one would need. That is smartness indeed. Silver coins and bullion are and will be the confidence carried for a long time yet. If you don't think that people have been preparing for all of the above, many have not. To "poopoo holding silver and some gold may be the biggest mistake one might make.

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
To "poopoo holding silver and some gold may be the biggest mistake one might make.
Indeed.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook

anyone pretending that what blanket posted, isnt going to be whats happening, will be in for a very rude awakening.
letting anyone know you posses anything of value is going to get you dead, unless you have the means to protect what you have.
those who didnt ,will wish they'd invested in lead.
Absolutely, one needs food, shelter, trading material such as metal, eggs, potatoes, etc., and the means (lead and brass) to protect it, and the will to protect it. The will to protect it is probably the most important.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
A
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A
I just wonder how many people are you going to Kill before Peace settles in and Commodity Trading begins again ..

Will you ever see it ..

I’ll bet your life span would be about that of a Ukie Soldier ..

What is it now 45 mins ..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well yea, no shît

You act like it's am either or.
My .223 will take you out long before your 12 gauge comes in range. Then I have your 12 gauge and my silver.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

This video proves it all. People don't value silver and it won't be a good medium of exchange.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have long range and short-range guns, and a lot of silver from when I was a paper boy back in the day. Wife and kids might have a problem protecting our stuff but not me have done it before.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Calvin

This video proves it all. People don't value silver and it won't be a good medium of exchange.
You don't get it. The majority of people won't get it till they go to the farmer's market (because the grocery stores are out of everything) and the only thing sellers are accepting in exchange for their produce anymore is silver and gold.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

You don't get it. The majority of people won't get it till they go to the farmer's market (because the grocery stores are out of everything) and the only thing sellers are accepting in exchange for their produce anymore is silver and gold.

Proof is in the video. Vast majority of people consider a chocolate bar more valuable than a bar of silver. As the one guy said, "you can't eat silver".

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Proof is in the video. Vast majority of people consider a chocolate bar more valuable than a bar of silver.
Yeah, now. That will change fast when no one will accept anything but gold and silver, though.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1badf350, 257 roberts, 16penny, 1234, 160user, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 1,963 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,887
Posts18,497,882
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.