Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I ordered the medium's because their good to 42mm.Funny the way it is now is perfect for eye relief and height.Neck maybe like an Orangutan.

Last edited by sqweeler; 04/18/23.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sqweeler
I ordered the medium's because their good to 42mm.Funny the way it is now is perfect for eye relief and height.Neck maybe like an Orangutan.

That's funny.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Those straight tubes with no objective bell always look a little high, but I agree that that one looks particularly high. May not be an issue for squeeler, however.

That’s the reason I never use a scope without an objective bell. I’d use a Leupold 4X Compact.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
I have the same rifle. It had a VariX3 2.5-8 on it when I bought it that wouldn’t hold zero and had coating rubbed off the lenses. I thought it might have been the bases as one screw hole was stripped. Tapped it out to 8-40. Sent scope back to Leufold and they replaced it with a VX3 2.5-8 which then it killed after about 100+ rounds. Sits scopeless now and I still haven’t figured out what I want to replace it with. Thinking a Trijicon LPVO. Used Talley extended bases and screw lock detachables and probably will again.

I have had a few hard kicking Winchester 70 classics that broke a bunch of scopes...the culprit was a big discrepancy between what the front and rear bridge height actually was and what the base manufacturers thought it should be. No matter what bases I put on those rifles, they broke scopes because the front/rear bases ended up at slightly different heights. I finally bedded the bases to level them...no more broken scopes.

Might not be your problem, just thought I'd mention.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TX35W
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
I have the same rifle. It had a VariX3 2.5-8 on it when I bought it that wouldn’t hold zero and had coating rubbed off the lenses. I thought it might have been the bases as one screw hole was stripped. Tapped it out to 8-40. Sent scope back to Leufold and they replaced it with a VX3 2.5-8 which then it killed after about 100+ rounds. Sits scopeless now and I still haven’t figured out what I want to replace it with. Thinking a Trijicon LPVO. Used Talley extended bases and screw lock detachables and probably will again.

I have had a few hard kicking Winchester 70 classics that broke a bunch of scopes...the culprit was a big discrepancy between what the front and rear bridge height actually was and what the base manufacturers thought it should be. No matter what bases I put on those rifles, they broke scopes because the front/rear bases ended up at slightly different heights. I finally bedded the bases to level them...no more broken scopes.

Might not be your problem, just thought I'd mention.

That should always be checked, without question. However, I have never had an issue like that with any era model 70 I have. On a mauser 98, yeah. It's a very common issue. The model 70 receivers I've had, have been spot on. Especially the pre 64's. However, A late 7 digit classic for example, could have issues. I've also never had a model 70 break a scope. However, proper mounts and rings were always used.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My M70 375 wore a 1.5-5X Leupold when I took it on an unsuccessful brown bear hunt in 2015 when I retired. It now wears a 2-7X Leupold.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of the best of 3 pre-64 M-70s owned was an Al Biesen slightly custom modified 375 for Alaska,
which started out original: but was moisture/water proofed, glass bedded, reinforced stock and affixed with a G&H QD mount
with Leupold Alaskan scope.
Along the way, he re-chambered it for the 375 Weatherby. Practical and accurate. Heavy bullets worked fine. First rate rig.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I’ve used the 4x Leupold.

The 6x36

And the 6x42

I like the 6x36 the most and what currently resides on it.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Monster? Not!!

My last .375 was a Winchester 70 Alaskan. I put a Leupold 4.5-14X on it in Leupold mounts with medium rings.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I hope one day I find someone to shoot it. smile

Hold it down to 50, maybe 75 rounds per day. It's not bad at all. The recoil is fairly "big" but it isn't sharp and jabby like some of the 30-ish caliber magnums. I'd rather shoot a .338 or especially a .375 H&H to a .300 Win Mag or .300 Weatherby in the same gun. Numbers may not lie but they mislead.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

BSA MAGA
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I hope one day I find someone to shoot it. smile

I’d shoot it. Shucks, I’d take it off your hands and save you the pain altogether. I’m considerate like that.😁 That looks like a really useful rifle. Congrats.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
The 375 is going to be a pussycat compared to these I've been shooting out of an 870 for deer for 35yrs.Was happy when it went rifle from shotgun here in N.Y. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Does look better with a low ring with this scope...and shoot's nice.Trigger is a little creepy.The lower the weight the creepier it get's. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by sqweeler; 04/23/23.
E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Yes a little high.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (204guy, 1minute, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 222ND, 1OntarioJim, 63 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,935
Posts18,479,992
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.