-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This Marlin 336 SC in 35 Remington has become one of my favorite deer rifles. I don't recommend converting a collector Marlin 336 SC to a straight grip. But when someone else has started, and screwed up the conversion, I didn't mind finishing it correctly. It turned into a slim and very handy 35 Remington that is very accurate.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Harry
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
My 336 (last of the Remington Marlin models) 35Rem has developed chronic vertical stringing. Scope and mounts checks out okay and I've tried tight and loose mag screws and even removed the mag tube but to no avail. How do you bed one of these?

Only had about 600rnds through it so far.

curious, “Have you chronographed your load?” It would be interesting to see shot to shot variation

I’ve not messed with the bedding on my 336’s. Maybe check on a Marlin site or google

Loads are good.

I gave the bedding a go through the week - just a slim smear on the two "rails" of the forestock (that's all the contact area available). Made it a good tight fit.

Tried it at the range yesterday - with tight mag screws I still got the vertical stringing, with loose mag screws I got general overall less acceptable group sizes.

The vertical stringing is typically a tight cluster with a shot or two going high or low. The first shot on a cold barrel is always going be the worst offender - more often than not, high.

I don't know what happened but it used to like loose mag screws.

I've tried it with the mag tube off previously but it didn't completely eliminate stringing or improve accuracy reliably. I might just try it again with the mag tube off.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 336 (last of the Remington Marlin models) 35Rem has developed chronic vertical stringing. Scope and mounts checks out okay and I've tried tight and loose mag screws and even removed the mag tube but to no avail. How do you bed one of these?

curious, “Have you chronographed your load?” It would be interesting to see shot to shot variation

I’ve not messed with the bedding on my 336’s. Maybe check on a Marlin site or google

Loads are good.

I gave the bedding a go through the week - just a slim smear on the two "rails" of the forestock (that's all the contact area available). Made it a good tight fit.

Tried it at the range yesterday - with tight mag screws I still got the vertical stringing, with loose mag screws I got general overall less acceptable group sizes.

The vertical stringing is typically a tight cluster with a shot or two going high or low. The first shot on a cold barrel is always going be the worst offender - more often than not, high.

I've tried it with the mag tube off previously but it didn't completely eliminate stringing or improve accuracy reliably. I might just try it again with the mag tube off.

I know you said loads are good. No way the sizing die could have gotten screwed in a little further and changed the headspace ? I don't know if that would even matter.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by jeeper

Loads are good.

I know you said loads are good. No way the sizing die could have gotten screwed in a little further and changed the headspace ? I don't know if that would even matter.

My FLS die is set to neck size only - I've not had the need to FLS any brass yet, and haven't yet set the die to suit my rifle (haven't had any fired brass that was tight enough to need FLS). Brass life has been good - 14 reloads so far and counting.

It's definitely a bedding issue - I can switch it reliably between "string mode" and "pattern mode" by the tightness of those magazine screws now.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one that shotgun patterned that I relieved the forearm wood that touched the barrel and bedded the ends of the wood on the forearm at the receiver and at the end cap. This was a SC model with the short mag tube and end cap. It shot a little better after that. The wood was really tight before that and I had to fight to get the end cap on every time I took it down. The gun was an old one that hadn't been shot much if at all. After about 200 rounds through it, it started shooting really well and still does.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I neutral bed the forearm to the barrel, bed forearm to receiver, butt stock to receiver, barrel bands tight on every lever action I own and they all shoot good this way. My Marlin is a solid, consistent, sub MOA shooter and my Winchesters are 1-1.5 MOA.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The cost of Marlin's has exploded, sad but true. Here is my 336A and she didn't look like this when I brought her home from the pawn shop.

[Linked Image from c1.staticflickr.com]

Refinish thread...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...h/true/finished-336-project#Post12392227

Dave

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

My Marlin 1895 in 45-70 did the same thing when it started getting hot. I just accepted it as a lever gun thing. I only used it for hunting deer, so it didn't matter. I always sight in my hunting rifles with a dead cold barrel anyway.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jeeper

Loads are good.

It wouldn't. Headspaces on the datum line

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You bedded a floating fore end? To what. Who told you to do that?

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,591 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,949
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.