Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Not sure it's a negative, but loading the 3rd round in the carbon mag is kind of a bitch. It's very tight going in and feels like the mag spring is completely compressed.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I called a local shop today to see if they had any Elements coming in 7 PRC. My timing was good because they had just got 2 of them in. I hurried and headed to town. When I walked in the shop 1 was on the counter and a guy had just finished the paper work for it.

Luckily I got the other one and they gave me an additional 10% off because they are putting all seekins rifles on sale in April so they went ahead and gave me the discount a bit early. It was only $2360 after the 10% off of the sticker price.

They also had 1 box of factory 175 eldx ammo for sale with it. It's pretty light with a thin barrel but going element was the only way to get the 22" barrel length I prefer. Now I need to decide which scope to put on it. Might start with a bushy lrhs 4-18. I wish I had an extra 3-12 lrhs for it.

I think I'm going to like this rifle, especially if they get some stock spacers out for it soon. The stock is just a bit short for me but the rumor is that spacers are in the works. I've already taken the loudener off the muzzle.

Bb

Bb, have you shot your rifle yet? I want a Havak ph II, but hoping it will be a solid .75 MOA shooter. Would be disappointed otherwise.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I called a local shop today to see if they had any Elements coming in 7 PRC. My timing was good because they had just got 2 of them in. I hurried and headed to town. When I walked in the shop 1 was on the counter and a guy had just finished the paper work for it.

Luckily I got the other one and they gave me an additional 10% off because they are putting all seekins rifles on sale in April so they went ahead and gave me the discount a bit early. It was only $2360 after the 10% off of the sticker price.

They also had 1 box of factory 175 eldx ammo for sale with it. It's pretty light with a thin barrel but going element was the only way to get the 22" barrel length I prefer. Now I need to decide which scope to put on it. Might start with a bushy lrhs 4-18. I wish I had an extra 3-12 lrhs for it.

I think I'm going to like this rifle, especially if they get some stock spacers out for it soon. The stock is just a bit short for me but the rumor is that spacers are in the works. I've already taken the loudener off the muzzle.

Bb

Bb, have you shot your rifle yet? I want a Havak ph II, but hoping it will be a solid .75 MOA shooter. Would be disappointed otherwise.

I'm patiently waiting on the ph2 as well. Extra weight and barrel will be fine for my plans.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't dismissed an upper end Browning with a factory McMillan stock.

I have a Hells Canyon / McMillian in 6.5 CM that shoots 3/4" MOA easily. Have shot it out to 1K yards.

Not a campfire favorite but I hold my own when at the range!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sorry guys, I haven't even decided what scope to go with on it yet. Our snow is finally melting and I should be to the range soon. It was definitely test fired at the factory. I foamed it with wipe out and the next morning got a lot of blue from copper and a good amount of carbon.

I'm a little worried this thing is going to ve a scope killer like my 7-08 fieldcraft. I think I'll start it with something easily replaced or repaired. I don't want it to eat one of my lrhs scopes because they don't make them anymore. Maybe I'll go with an athelon 2-12 at first. I've got one on my 22 Creedmoor that I want to swap for something with a finer reticle anyways. It seems that others have the 2-12 on elements and they seem to be holding.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 04/08/23.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have 18 rounds through mine (with Athlon 2-12x) without issues. Recoil is noticeable but not punishing. I think any decent scope will be fine. Feels just like a 7 Rem Mag in a heavier rifle, so doubt it will be a scope killer.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Cleaned after 18 rounds and back at it today with 17 more rounds through it. Finished up with rounds 33 - 35 (100 yds):

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It does seem to prefer the 175 ELD-X hunting ammo to the 180 ELD-M match ammo. If this is repeatable, might not make sense to dick around loading for it grin

Last edited by JGray; 04/10/23.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JGray
Cleaned after 18 rounds and back at it today with 17 more rounds through it. Finished up with rounds 33 - 35 (100 yds):

It does seem to prefer the 175 ELD-X hunting ammo to the 180 ELD-M match ammo. If this is repeatable, might not make sense to dick around loading for it grin
You should probably just go ahead and sell all your other rifles.
laugh

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGray

That does make it hard to obsess over goofing around at the loading bench.

What’s the best it’ll do with the 180’s?

Last edited by beretzs; 04/10/23.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
This is pretty representative of what I'm seeing with both factory loads. Around 1 MOA and improving with more rounds through it.

The 4 shot group on the right with 180's includes the 1st fouling round after cleaning, which I believe is the upper left hole in the group.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looks great to me J. Seems like both loads are pretty fair. Nice to have options.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
JGRAY--how was shooting the rifle with the brake on? Did it improve your shooting? Thanks.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Haven't shot it with the brake yet. Put it on briefly and took it back off. I do plan to compare shooting it with the brake vs without at some point...

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm going to put the 2-12 athelon on mine tonight and put the 4-16 athelon tac on my 22 Creedmoor. Hopefully we'll get a nice day to get to the range soon. Yesterday, I could see the lawn and today it's covered in drifts.

Bb

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Since it shoots that 175 load so well, it would not make sense to dink around with load development given the cost and scarcity of components these days; unless you plan to shoot it a lot. I’ve got a lightweight 30-06 that shoots a Barnes LRX load so well that I stopped trying to build a better mousetrap.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, Algotguns, Akhutr, 5 invisible), 1,463 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,415
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.