Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The hilarious thing about the 308 'Chester is that is generally shoots better than well, despite violating several tenants of precision; it has an "old" shoulder angle, many rifles have lands you can't "chase" and fit the magazine length and has several decades of ammunition, brass and bullet design changes that all rear their heads when trying to make repetitive accuracy. But it still does.

It also eats about every known rifle powder speed without much fuss, and is wide ranging in that regard. It will generally make its nominal speeds with those powders as well.

HR IC

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I've owned more .308 Winchesters than any other chambering except maybe .223. Those rifles included a 760, M1A loaded model, 700 5r milspec, 700 Police, and a semi custom sporter wearing a Douglas barrel.

Each one of those rifles were/are capable of fine accuracy, and were very easy to load for. It's a wonderful cartridge and one I'll be shooting for many years to come.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A 308 has been my favorite centerfire caliber for years, it's accurate, doesn't eat burn out barrels like the over bored cartridges, and has plenty of power for anything I'll ever hunt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Originally Posted by mathman
If you can't group 1" regularly with a 308 I don't believe it's the cartridge that's the problem. I didn't use a typewriter to shoot the groups i posted above.

+1

Have quite a few, and only my Win M100 carbine won't do it. Most have done it with minimal effort.

My 100 does..and with factory ammo
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Originally Posted by mathman
If you can't group 1" regularly with a 308 I don't believe it's the cartridge that's the problem. I didn't use a typewriter to shoot the groups i posted above.

+1

Have quite a few, and only my Win M100 carbine won't do it. Most have done it with minimal effort.

My 100 does..and with factory ammo
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My BAR loves the Norma 150gr ammo. Probably better try it in the M100 too.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always considered the 308 a carbine cartridge. I finally bought a bull barreled 700 BDL and some match bullets. I don’t consider that 700 as a hunting rifle - paper shooter only. But my 600 Mohawk I do. I have no idea how many 308’s I’ve owned, most were 600 Mohawks or 660’s. But I’ve had 700’s, an AR in 308, a Mauser 98, Winchester 70, a Tikka, and a Ruger 77. The only ones I really liked were the 600’s.

I like the 30-06 much more than the 308 for a hunting rifle.

I never desired a 6.5 man bun. If I were to get a 6.5 it would be either a 264 or 6.5-06 or 6.5-06AI. But if a 6.5x55 in a Remington Classic we’re to come along…

Last edited by Bugger; 04/24/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 308 Win rifles shoot OK.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bugger
But if a 6.5x55 in a Remington Classic we’re to come along…

About 12 years ago I found one on the used gun rack at the Cabelas in Sidney, NE. I had a buttload of points from their club card and cashed them in on the rifle. Really a sweet shooting thing. I have always wanted one in 7x57 but have not come across one.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I got some Horn 155 bthp and CFE 223 to try. The CFE with the Horn 150 flat base shot MOA, but nothing spectacular.

My identical Tikka T3 in 6.5 Creed is still besting its bigger brother. I still think the 308 is great as a hunting cartridge but a little overrated in terms of 'inherent' accuracy. The 270 Win has been more accurate in my experience too.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Wonder how many long range hits were made by sniper teams in combat that went between 500-800 meters with a 7.62x51. With today’s super match grade barrel accuracy and bullet technology it’s only gotten better. It’ll never overtake the 6.5 Creedmoor in very long range work, but for larger game (500-1,000+lbs) the 308 Win, IMO, hits harder with more authority and more blood loss from the muzzle out to 400 yards. Having almost 17% more frontal area and easily 40 gr - 60 gr more of bullet weight it provides tremendous power for hunting big animals, more so than the 6.5mm Creedmoor can provide with its lighter bullet weights and pencil size holes. I could care less about what’s happening out at 700 meters, but that’s just me. To each his own.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by djb
I got some Horn 155 bthp and CFE 223 to try. The CFE with the Horn 150 flat base shot MOA, but nothing spectacular.

My identical Tikka T3 in 6.5 Creed is still besting its bigger brother. I still think the 308 is great as a hunting cartridge but a little overrated in terms of 'inherent' accuracy. The 270 Win has been more accurate in my experience too.

For the last couple of packaging changes I haven't found these to produce the groups several of my rifles are capable of with other bullets.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Yea, those flat base hornadys are just so-so.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
They have been for me since they changed the ogive.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
200 grain norma oryx, 46 grains leverevolution, 2600 fps. Exceeds the minimum bison legal requirements here in AK.

Decent little thumper for most Alaskan game, whereas the 6.5 douche-nozzle is worthless.

The 308 winchester is a real American:

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Decent little thumper for most Alaskan game, whereas the 6.5 douche-nozzle is worthless.

Explain that to Charles Sheldon...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Rossimp
Wonder how many long range hits were made by sniper teams in combat that went between 500-800 meters with a 7.62x51. With today’s super match grade barrel accuracy and bullet technology it’s only gotten better. It’ll never overtake the 6.5 Creedmoor in very long range work, but for larger game (500-1,000+lbs) the 308 Win, IMO, hits harder with more authority and more blood loss from the muzzle out to 400 yards. Having almost 17% more frontal area and easily 40 gr - 60 gr more of bullet weight it provides tremendous power for hunting big animals, more so than the 6.5mm Creedmoor can provide with its lighter bullet weights and pencil size holes. I could care less about what’s happening out at 700 meters, but that’s just me. To each his own.

100% agree

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You CLUELESS Drooling Fhuqktards are a hoot...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

"Frontal area",hits "harder" and "power" are Window Licking staples. Hint.

The boys issued a fhuqking 308,had zero "choices" and 'surprisingly" most of the "vaunted" heritage was Pre-LRF and a fhuqking guess at best. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Physics just "happens" to matter and the Transonic slip of a 308 is fhuqking HILARIOUS,compared to a 264 Kreed. Hint.

You Amazingly STUPID Fhuqks never disappoint,by simply doing your best. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick
You CLUELESS Drooling Fhuqktards are a hoot...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The boys issued a fhuqking 308,had zero "choices" and 'surprisingly" most of the "vaunted" heritage was Pre-LRF and a fhuqking guess at best. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Physics just "happens" to matter and the Transonic slip of a 308 is fhuqking HILARIOUS,compared to a 264 Kreed. Hint.

Have you ever killed anything, anything at all at long range?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SniffleKchunt,

Ain't it a fascinating CONSTANT,that you've never seen or shot ANY of it...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Cheer up...it were yet ANOTHER "slow" day. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Have you ever killed anything, anything at all at long range?

No, but dammit he's ready. Lol. The virtual numbers are all set for the virtual hunting. Have to have high BC, long OAL, and low virtue for that game.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, achlupsa, 5 invisible), 1,513 guests, and 826 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,323
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.