Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
What's the general consensus on a pair of Leica Geovid 10x42 HD binoculars, specifically the model with built in rangefinder? One of the local shops has a pair in excellent condition, but I am curious if any of the optical "clarity" is compromised by including the rangefinder feature. I really have no use for the range finder where I hunt, and would be more of a novelty than anything, but I could use another set of quality binoculars. What other binoculars would be comparable in a similar price range? I *believe* these were made in Portugal, can't remember for sure.

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Are these the model with the closed bridge?

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Not sure what that means.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Yes, I am pretty sure that's the exact same binoculars.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
They are excellent, I have been using the model pictured since 2015 and even though I have other top end glass they continue to impress.
Everybody's eyes/face is different but if they seem like a good fit and are priced fairly I'd buy them, I'm sure you'll be happy.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If you don't need the rangefinder, what's the point of even looking at a LRF binocular?

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by handwerk
They are excellent, I have been using the model pictured since 2015 and even though I have other top end glass they continue to impress.
Everybody's eyes/face is different but if they seem like a good fit and are priced fairly I'd buy them, I'm sure you'll be happy.

I'm curious how they would compare with a pair of Japanese Leupold BX-3 Mojave 8x42's.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I own a pair along with the Swaro EL Range. Both are absolutely excellent. If you can pick them up for about $1900 or so, they're a great pair to have.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by CanadianLefty
I own a pair along with the Swaro EL Range. Both are absolutely excellent. If you can pick them up for about $1900 or so, they're a great pair to have.

I don't think these listed for more than $1300 new, but I could be mistaken.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
you are correct Jason...at east I've never seen them in the past new for more than $1500.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jason280

I'm curious how they would compare with a pair of Japanese Leupold BX-3 Mojave 8x42's.

Jason, I can answer that for you. Since I use the BX3 Mojave when hunting. However, mine are the 8x32's. I love the Mojave binoculars. So much, in fact, that I have 2 pair. For hunting, they are ideal because they only weigh 17 oz's. Your x42's are a little heavier, but same same glass. The Leica's are superior in glass quality. When looking through the Leica's you will notice a clearer and cleaner view right away. Now, let's go one step further in comparison. My buddy has a set of 10x42 Vortex Furry HD 5000's. The Leupold BX3 Mojave falls in between the Furry's and the Leica's. Yes, the Mojave binocular's are clearer to my eyes. That's just my take and remember everyone's eyes are different. YMMV.. The Leica's you are asking about have been discontinued for a newer model. A lot of places were selling them at a greatly discounted price. The ones I bought were $1,199.99. I bought them before the new model came out, but the store was making room for them to hit the shelves. I'd imagine if you buy them at close to that price, you will be very happy with them. However, if they are upwards of $1,400.00, buy the newer ones, for just a few bucks more!!! The new ones offer more range and new styling.

you are correct Jason...at east I've never seen them in the past new for more than $1500.

They were right around $1,600.00 at one point. Last year, before they were discontinued.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

When they first came out they were around $2249 at Cabela's, plus tax. Maybe I need to check the exact model number on the box. They are still worth over $1800+ especially compared to my over $4000 ELs

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by CanadianLefty

When they first came out they were around $2249 at Cabela's, plus tax. Maybe I need to check the exact model number on the box. They are still worth over $1800+ especially compared to my over $4000 ELs
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Oh look it's Scott Neigh of Hamilton, Ontario who blogs against conservatism, who reviews the queer bars of Toronto, who comes to the Campfire to see what conservatives are interested in.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You're right longarm.....this Canadian Lefty clown is a complete fraud, lefty, libtard, and covtard. He deserves no respect or attention.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by JGRaider
You're right longarm.....this Canadian Lefty clown is a complete fraud, lefty, libtard, and covtard. He deserves no respect or attention.

Thems the facts!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

JG, I was hoping you would chime in with Jason's question regarding the comparison between the Leupold BX3 bino's and these LRF bino's. My eyes are not always the greatest, so these comparisons can be highly subjective. I just pulled off a new Zeiss V4 because it looked terrible to my eyes. I also know you don't like Leica's warranty, or lack thereof. Would you suggest a different brand, like the Vortex? Thanks..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

JG, I was hoping you would chime in with Jason's question regarding the comparison between the Leupold BX3 bino's and these LRF bino's. My eyes are not always the greatest, so these comparisons can be highly subjective. I just pulled off a new Zeiss V4 because it looked terrible to my eyes. I also know you don't like Leica's warranty, or lack thereof. Would you suggest a different brand, like the Vortex? Thanks..

Hello there bsa. I think you've got the BX3 nailed......I have the 8x32 and it's great, amazing actually given it's not HD (whatever HD means anymore). I actually gave mine to my son so I haven't got them around to compare to the Fury AB's unfortunately. Those Fury's are interesting.....they aren't the brightest optic out there, but they are pretty dang sharp and usable through last shooting light. They definitely aren't Leica optics though and it's easy to see. I'm not a fan of Leica's CS, but if I were going alpha I'd look at Leica first and last. I think the Fury RF is just as good though, easily. 10-4 on the eyeballs......mine are 62 yrs old nowadays....I need all the help I can get.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Hello there bsa. I think you've got the BX3 nailed......I have the 8x32 and it's great, amazing actually given it's not HD (whatever HD means anymore). I actually gave mine to my son so I haven't got them around to compare to the Fury AB's unfortunately. Those Fury's are interesting.....they aren't the brightest optic out there, but they are pretty dang sharp and usable through last shooting light. They definitely aren't Leica optics though and it's easy to see. I'm not a fan of Leica's CS, but if I were going alpha I'd look at Leica first and last. I think the Fury RF is just as good though, easily. 10-4 on the eyeballs......mine are 62 yrs old nowadays....I need all the help I can get.

Good informative post. Thanks!! I'm sure that will help a lot of others out there and the OP. Optics are a funny thing, as when I'm using my buddies Vortex fury 5000 HD at the range, they look damn good to my eyes too. I think it's when you have different ones right in front of you, is when you can really tell a difference. Going into it blind, I'd probably pick the Vortex, to be honest. Hard to beat the warranty. I did a follow up on my buddies Vortex, when his 3 year old boy dropped them on the cement pad at the range and broke both eye pieces. Vortex had them back to him in a month, even though it was right after hunting season. I ended up giving my buddy a set of compact Nikon binocs for his kids to play with when they are at the range.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I agree......it's hard to know what you're missing unless you have them side by side. I'm to the point, I'll admit, that I'm not seeking out the latest, greatest alpha glass anymore though. I will add.....I was very surprised at how good the GPO rf/bino is.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
JG, sorry to hear your experience with Leica CS has been poor. I've used them twice and both times they went above and beyond my expectations.

The first time was several years ago when I bought a used Geovid that had been left on the dashboard of a truck in the Arizona sun and the armor was literally cooked and the eyecups were brittle. I sent them back to Leica and they completely refurbished them and didn't cost me anything other than shipping to them.

I recently sent a Geovid in for an eyecup that was frozen in the down position. They repaired them and overnighted them back to me. The total turnaround time including transit time in me shipping them back to Leica was eight days, and they provided email updates every step of the way.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
They have treated me pretty well lately as well.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What a loser. The truth will set you free.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I liked the idea of a combo range and bino, but couldn't get by the consideration of what to do when the rangefinder crapped out. I have 40 yr old binos that work flawless, but never a rangefinder over 10-12 years before issues arise

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Jason280

the Leupolds aren't even in the same universe to compare. at least to me. I have one of the Leupolds issued and spend a lot of time using them for surveillance work. one of the things I have learned is they absolutely kill my eyes with strain if I spend more than a couple minutes using them at a time. I don't have the same issue with my personal owned leicas

Last edited by gitem_12; 01/03/24.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love mine. Had it about 4 years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If anyone is interested I happen to have a Leica Geovid 10x42 rangefinder bino I'm getting ready to list. They are my dad's and in mint condition.

I'm also going to list my Leuca Ultravid HD 10x42.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,382 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,695
Posts18,475,163
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.