Ain't freedom great!? smile

Pasties - ketchup or gravy?
Old Fashioned - whiskey or brandy?

Me

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MJones
I read all about you blow hard Texans and how you people think yor are the best .Your bbq sucks Mexican ass and looks like a cancer lung , Kc style is so much better .

So Mr. 200+ posts decided he wants to make a name for himself as the new campfire d-bag..........ok then, have at it.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by EdM
We stopped at Blacks on the way home from visiting my son ... It was darn good.

Black's definitely doesn't suck. cool

The wife & I recently watched a show about Tootsie @ Snow's BBQ. Mrs. FC was drooling through the whole program... and she's a vegan. We may have to invent an excuse to go to that part of TX.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Best bbq I have ever had was from a food truck/trailer vendor in New Hampshire.

I can enjoy any "style" done well. I am not sure I even have a favorite. Had some very good ribs at whole hog cafe in Little rock last week. They were had a mild, sweet, full depth smoke and a rub that was fairly neutral.

Whole Hog is good, but I think it’s not near as good as it was 10+ years ago. McClards in Hot Springs and Nicks in Carlisle all have good BBQ. That being said, I’ll take KC or Memphis style most times a good brisket done right is hard to beat.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I read all about you blow hard Texans and how you people think yor are the best .Your bbq sucks Mexican ass and looks like a cancer lung , Kc style is so much better .

He is just trying to stir us up, nobody is that dumb.

If it isn’t cooked with mesquite on a seasoned pit, it ain’t cshit! This is what a real pit looks like, built this not long ago.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

What does it cost nowadays to build one like that?

It would take 1500.00 in plate, pipe, wheels, hinges etc, plus labor. It would kill 60 hours to build and paint it. It takes time to go gather up the parts. Anything metal has skyrocketed since the Commie 19 hit. A 4x8 sheet of 1/4 plate is 300.00. People won’t pay what it costs for a pit like that. They wouldn’t pay what the parts cost, much less labor too. Welding rods, grinding wheels are expensive now too.
I made them, did a football pot, was the only way I could make any money at all on building a pit. When they let us start working OT, quit the pit building business, much easier work.

Yes, and I've been there with friends who were hollering, "Build me one !!".

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Next up: Chili~ Beans or no beans

And Stay Tuned For: Mexican Food~ Red or Green Sauce

Rye.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Having eaten only one example of Texas and one of KC, Texas won hands down. Memphis style is better than either, and West Kentucky is the best of all.

Are you talking about mutton?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Caplock
Hey now East Texas can cook some pork ribs but the best beef BBQ comes from mostly central Texas. When you say brisket they mean Texas style.... All the Carolina BBQ I've been exposed to was pulled pork and reminded me of Sloppy Joes smothered in sweet sauce

Around here you put the sauce on yourself. That said, when I pull pork shoulders, I do sauce it up very slightly with vinegar/pepper sauce, not so much as you'd notice. From there, I put out the bottle of vinegar/pepper sauce and the other two Carolina style sauces, the very slightly sweet and quite spicy tomato based sauce or mustard sauce. All homemade at my house.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I like most styles and items pretty well, but I'm least enthusiastic about pulled pork. I've enjoyed it many times, it's just not at the top of my list.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

He is just trying to stir us up, nobody is that dumb.

If it isn’t cooked with mesquite on a seasoned pit, it ain’t cshit! This is what a real pit looks like, built this not long ago.

What does it cost nowadays to build one like that?

It would take 1500.00 in plate, pipe, wheels, hinges etc, plus labor. It would kill 60 hours to build and paint it. It takes time to go gather up the parts. Anything metal has skyrocketed since the Commie 19 hit. A 4x8 sheet of 1/4 plate is 300.00. People won’t pay what it costs for a pit like that. They wouldn’t pay what the parts cost, much less labor too. Welding rods, grinding wheels are expensive now too.
I made them, did a football pot, was the only way I could make any money at all on building a pit. When they let us start working OT, quit the pit building business, much easier work.
Thats what I was thinking, about 3-4 grand. I'm just going to weld a new firebox on mine.

It would take 4000.00 to get me to build one like that now. Gasses for cutting torch and rods are out of sight too.
I have a 250-gallon propane tank I want to make one out of someday.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AdventureBound
Brings to mind this guidance for being polite and considerate to those less fortunate:

You never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas, he will tell you. Otherwise, you’d just embarrass the poor fellow.

grin laugh

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Caplock
Hey now East Texas can cook some pork ribs but the best beef BBQ comes from mostly central Texas. When you say brisket they mean Texas style.... All the Carolina BBQ I've been exposed to was pulled pork and reminded me of Sloppy Joes smothered in sweet sauce

Around here you put the sauce on yourself. That said, when I pull pork shoulders, I do sauce it up very slightly with vinegar/pepper sauce, not so much as you'd notice. From there, I put out the bottle of vinegar/pepper sauce and the other two Carolina style sauces, the very slightly sweet and quite spicy tomato based sauce or mustard sauce. All homemade at my house.

I'd go for the spicy tomato based sauce to amp up the pork. I'm sure some Carolina style purists would call me a heathen. That's all right though, I can handle incoming fire. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Next up: Chili~ Beans or no beans

And Stay Tuned For: Mexican Food~ Red or Green Sauce

You're from WI, you know the truth.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A few random thoughts to help verify my top signature line:

To me, bbq is all about the sauce, which I like on the sweet side, adhering to the meat.
I am not a big fan of excessive char, or bark, if you will. I am after meat, not charcoal.
All of the different woods, secret rub concoctions, and incantations do little for me - again, I'm about the sauce.
BBQed sausage is not something that I crave - too greasy.
GOOD slaw is a must. I prefer a creamy to a vinegary. One thing about slaw is that never, ever, under any circumstances should a #$^%ing food processor be used in its creation - thinly hand-sliced, never chopped. Another thing about slaw is that it should be a sweet compliment to the meat; it should not be something to make a person's eyes water.

Added: A further strike against me - as to sauce, please leave out any hickory flavoring.

Last edited by 5sdad; 04/24/23.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm equal opportunity when it comes to BBQ and don't think I've had bad in/from TX or KC.

And some of the best I've had is Speed Queen Bar-B-Q in Milwaukee.
Best be armed when you pick it up.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 5sdad
A few random thoughts to help verify my top signature line:

To me, bbq is all about the sauce, which I like on the sweet side, adhering to the meat.
I am not a big fan of excessive char, or bark, if you will. I am after meat, not charcoal.
All of the different woods, secret rub concoctions, and incantations do little for me - again, I'm about the sauce.
BBQed sausage is not something that I crave - too greasy.
GOOD slaw is a must. I prefer a creamy to a vinegary. One thing about slaw is that never, ever, under any circumstances should a #$^%ing food processor be used in its creation - thinly hand-sliced, never chopped. Another thing about slaw is that it should be a sweet compliment to the meat; it should not be something to make a person's eyes water.

Prepare for incoming fire. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Texas roast beef sucks donkey balls. I've been smoking pork butts since the mid-1960's when I worked the pit at my grandparents' restaurant just north of Nashville. BBQ comes from a pig, not some Texas steer!

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In Dahlhart TX there’s a bbq joint that the wife and I stop at either coming or going on our trip to the land of AZ.

In KC there was a bbq joint just north of the Air Force base that I thought was great. (It burned down many years ago.) it was called County Line BBQ.

Having lived in KC and West Texas - several years in both, I’d be happy with either.

On our annual journey to Tulsa we stop at a bbq joint that has great KC bbq. They offer a choice KC or St. Louis style - I always go with KC.

Then there’s Memphis style bbq.

I’m just happy that I don’t have to travel far for great bbq. There’s good bbq in SF and at my house.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Texas roast beef sucks donkey balls. I've been smoking pork butts since the mid-1960's when I worked the pit at my grandparents' restaurant just north of Nashville. BBQ comes from a pig, not some Texas steer!

You've been smoking something else too.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1234, 68 invisible), 16,586 guests, and 1,029 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,193
Posts18,543,431
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.