Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Isn’t the American Royal BBQ contest in KC the biggest in the country….

Just saying…

I learned how to BBQ from two different teams there - OMG it’s good stuff…

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
What about Alabama & Georgia BBQ? Some damm good hickory smoked pork barbecue down that way in places.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I don't know where vinegar based sauce derived from but IMO it's just bad bad bad

North Carolina

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like it all, but my favorite is whole hog eastern NC style.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If it ain't cooked on wood and it ain't pork it ain't bar b que

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
If it ain't cooked on wood and it ain't pork it ain't bar b que

A Carolina swamp dweller, it figures.

Which vinegar sauce do you like? Massengill or Summers Eve? grin

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Does Tucker Carlson prefer Texas BBQ or that other crap from KC???

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by mathman
I'm sure some Carolina style purists would call me a heathen. That's all right though, I can handle incoming fire. grin

Yeah, I mean, it’s not like you’re advocating for putting ice in one’s bourbon… laugh

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The bbq can get by with being mediocre as long as the chili on the side has beans in it.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I like all BBQ.
To me, the best does not need any sauce at all. Regardless of the name of the town, or style. If it is so dry it needs sauce you may be eating warmed up leftovers.

I like it smoked over a wood fire, it can be brisket, chicken, deer/lean pork German sausage, pork chops, ham steak, beef steak, ribs or whatever. I like it cooked hot enough to char the outside and seal in the moisture.
Enjoy

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
If you ever have a chance, try this place. It's a religious experience.

http://www.lexbbq.com/about-lexington-barbecue/

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 5sdad
The bbq can get by with being mediocre as long as the chili on the side has beans in it.

I understand your delusion about beans in chili. In Minnesota ketchup is considered hot sauce and Busch Light passes for beer. It all goes together. grin

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I understand your delusion about beans in chili. In Minnesota ketchup is considered hot sauce and Busch Light passes for beer. It all goes together. grin

Amen.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hudge
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Best bbq I have ever had was from a food truck/trailer vendor in New Hampshire.

I can enjoy any "style" done well. I am not sure I even have a favorite. Had some very good ribs at whole hog cafe in Little rock last week. They were had a mild, sweet, full depth smoke and a rub that was fairly neutral.

Whole Hog is good, but I think it’s not near as good as it was 10+ years ago. McClards in Hot Springs and Nicks in Carlisle all have good BBQ. That being said, I’ll take KC or Memphis style most times a good brisket done right is hard to beat.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I like the KC kind better than the North Carolina BBQ, which makes me gag. St. Louis BBQ is pretty good, too.

Locally, we have a place called Mark's Feed Store, which serves possibly the very worst excuse for BBQ ever made outside of North Carolina, I suspect he's from NC, considering how awful it really is.

I ate at Moonlite BBQ in Owensboro just last Friday, but as always, I go for the buffet, and the Friday special fish. They have a lot of varieties of BBQ at Moonlite, but I'm not a fan of it.

I can eat brisket, but I wouldn't drive to Texas for it. I like beans in my chili, too.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
Originally Posted by Hudge
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Best bbq I have ever had was from a food truck/trailer vendor in New Hampshire.

I can enjoy any "style" done well. I am not sure I even have a favorite. Had some very good ribs at whole hog cafe in Little rock last week. They were had a mild, sweet, full depth smoke and a rub that was fairly neutral.

Whole Hog is good, but I think it’s not near as good as it was 10+ years ago. McClards in Hot Springs and Nicks in Carlisle all have good BBQ. That being said, I’ll take KC or Memphis style most times a good brisket done right is hard to beat.
My PC fugged up, So i'l try this again... Scott McLard sold out in 2020, Ending the Legacy that started in 1928... No more sliced pork plates with beans & slaw for me, Damn!...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Very little 'custom cooked' bbq/smoked meat that I don't enjoy.

Cooked a shoulder on the egg Saturday.
Nothing but a brown sugar based rub added.
Nothing special, just good pork.
Saturday evening I had it with a little regular tomato based sauce, last night I used spiced vinegar sauce.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
OK, but please elaborate.

Pork shoulder cooked with hickory wood, usually about 16 hours, then pulled and served with sauce on the side if wanted. It’s pretty much the same thing you’d find all the way down towards Nashville and over into West Tennessee. Personally I like what’s cooked here locally better than anywhere else

Would Old Hickory BBQ from Owensboro count as an example?

I hit it every time I go to Whittaker's. I find the BBQ to be excellent, but the Banana Pudding is world-class: time stands still, and angels serenade me.

FC

I ate there one time, and didn't like it. However..........I was informed later that I'd ordered the sliced and sauced pork, instead of the pulled pork. I'm going back sometime and try it again. My wife likes the buffet at the Moonlite, and that's where we usually go, and it's not bad, otherwise their BBQ is kinda lame.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
It doesn't matter where it comes from. BBQ is the worst excuse for food there is. No wonder it was fed to the darker race.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
They both want to be Alabama barbeque when they grow up.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 15,816 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,200
Posts18,543,539
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.