Print Thread
Hop To
G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
So many makers, & so I understand, no standards. Guess I'm saying I don't know crap about AR10, but getting interested in them.

Is there a good source or place to learn a lot of the ins & outs, what fits what, etc.?

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's a fairly short list imho. Upper/lower receivers, BCG you'll want to grab all from the same manufacturer. Barrel/handguard/magazines are reliant on being either DMPS/LR308 pattern or ArmaLite pattern, neither are compatible. Beyond that it's mostly AR-15 parts anyways

G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanks for the reply, it's a start.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
POF Rogue (which I have and I'm very happy with ) or Ruger SFAR which tries to accomplish what the Rouge has already done but will probably prove reliable and is from a good company. The others mentioned are for the most part much bigger and heavier.
Your call
Good Hunting
Lj

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best advice I can give you, because I built half an AR10 before i bought an assembled upper! 😖😥

When ordering parts, ask, "Is this part DPMS (or which ever system you use) compatible?"

I bought, sold, and still have several AR10 parts that I wasn't aware wouldn't "fit" until it was too late! LOL!

Hint: DPMS "cut" seems to be the most popular and most available.

IC B2

G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanks guys,

Building one is probably out. A factory built is probably in order.

The SFAR started my interest in a 7.62 AR. The POF is nice, but more money than I'll spend for what will basically be a toy. Those led me to look a a 16" Springfield Saint. It's a pound heavier than the SFAR, but lighter than most anything offered elsewhere. Just pondering on one, maybe the want will pass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
@ gunzo
Without a doubt, I understand that DIY isn't always the cheapest route.
...but DIY gives you a sense of satisfaction that can't be measured by $'s.
It also gives you the ability to build(assemble?) a rifle with all the geegaws and doodads YOU want. Not just what a manufacturer offers.
...and it gives you the flexibility to acquire a rifle like Johnny Cash's "Cadillac"! ONE PIECE AT A TIME!! LOL!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
@ gunzo
It also gives you the ability to build(assemble?) a rifle with all the geegaws and doodads YOU want. Not just what a manufacturer offers.
...and it gives you the flexibility to acquire a rifle like Johnny Cash's "Cadillac"! ONE PIECE AT A TIME!! LOL!

Too much headache as far as I'm concerned. That's why I bought this one. The only thing I changed was the butt stock (PRS), charge handle (Raptor), and installed a better 2 stage match trigger in it:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It does everything I want it to do. I have not been disappointed in the decision. It always shoots sub moa:

That rifle runs flawlessly too. I have never had a hiccup with it. Many ways to skin a cat on this one, but that is the route I chose.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"... Too much headache as far as I'm concerned. That's why I bought this one. The only thing I changed was the butt stock (PRS), charge handle (Raptor), and installed a better 2 stage match trigger in it: ..."

That's another "plus" to the AR's. You don't have to run to a gunsmith everytime you have a problem.....or want to rebarrel.....or rechamber. New barrel and BCG and you're good to go.
Gunsmiths should "hate" AR's. LOL!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
@ gunzo

Too much headache as far as I'm concerned. That's why I bought this one. The only thing I changed was the butt stock (PRS), charge handle (Raptor), and installed a better 2 stage match trigger in it:

It does everything I want it to do. I have not been disappointed in the decision. It always shoots sub moa:

Kool. I want one that shoots that good in a .308
That rifle runs flawlessly too. I have never had a hiccup with it. Many ways to skin a cat on this one, but that is the route I chose.

Last edited by JD45; 03/17/23.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been sitting here the better part of the day trying to talk myself out of putting another large framed AR together. Since acquiring that LR-308 in .260, I've been pondering whether I want to continue messing with 6mmAR and 6.8 SPC even though either will put a pig down. I ditched 5.56/.223 a while back for hog hunting purposes (never even really got started with that, really). Isn't more better? Or maybe it was because that .260 is dead nuts accurate...far more than necessary.

I am afflicted!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have one I put together not long ago. Shoots just fine but it is heavy. A 308/ I would rather lug a lighter bolt gun myself.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
You might find some useful info on www.308AR.com. I haven’t looked at it lately, but if you poke around on it, you may find it useful for platform differences/compatibility as well as history. YMMV

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunzo
Those led me to look a a 16" Springfield Saint. It's a pound heavier than the SFAR, but lighter than most anything offered elsewhere. Just pondering on one, maybe the want will pass.

I picked up a 16" Saint Victor .308 last winter. While it functioned well enough, the accuracy was awful, like 5MOA+. Springfield swapped out the barrel and it was immediately acceptable with regards to my accuracy expecations, which include shooting cheap hunting ammo into 1.5" or less for three rounds at 100yds.

The rifle would have been fine with just a simple trigger swap (the factory trigger is more like a good combat trigger), but I had a spare MagPul STR buttstock, which is my preferred stock for a hunting rifle. I also swapped the factory adjustable gas block for a Wotjek model with spring-detent clicks. Runs nicely with my YHM R2 can. And I couldn't resist the urge to hit it with some Krylon. It's no longer a lightweight with 3lbs of night vision scope and illuminator, but it runs right and shoots softly. Naked gun goes right at 8lbs, which isn't too bad.

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've posted this before, but if you want to read through a good guide for what is compatible and what is not, this is for you:

AR10 compatibility reference guide

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
imo the best AR-10 types at least for the money sig 716 or Springfield Saint Victor. I'm sure there are those just as nice or nicer in full custom builds or really high end dollars but.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Rock River

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you end up doing a DPMS build I've got a spare 20" big gunner

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For an ACTUAL AR-10, I go with Armalite.

Other than a 1x4 no other changes needed.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 2500HD, 35, Akhutr, 17 invisible), 1,617 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,949
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.