-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As someone who has lost half of his hearing, and has tinnitus, I promise you, you want to keep what you have.

My question is, what is the best in-the-ear electronic plugs ya'll have found, in any price range?

Muffs get hot on a dove hunt.

GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Target shooting, foam plugs plus Caldwell electronic muffs. Hunting, nothing.

A while back someone said he doesn't ("use" or "need" - I forget the term he used) hearing protection for .22, only for bigger stuff.

IIRC one should use hearing protection for anything above 85 decibels. .22 runs about 140db.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I use the SoundGear Phantoms. I use them for competitive shooting and they work great. I checked with my health insurance provider and they cover hearing aides as long as I show hearing loss at an audiologist. They are custom molded and programmed for my level of hearing loss and they are sound suppressing as well. They bluetooth connect to my phone as well. Best part is, I did not have to pay a dime, not even for getting fitted for them. I love them.

Soundgear Phantoms

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Peltor 6S when it's cool out. Foam when it's hot.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
https://www.walkersgameear.com/raptor-headset/

Love this setup. I keep my ears stuffed with the best foam plugs for me. And, with the Raptor on my ear bones I can still hear the Squirrels scratching, barking or cutting up in the trees.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I started carrying ear muffs when I started using braked rifles a few years ago, not really entirely effective as sometimes you just don't have the time to put them on when a shot presents itself. I have since gone to hunting suppressed only and don't see me going back, all new rifles are set up for suppressors and that's what I plan on using until I can't anymore. Have one with another in process, a real game changer for me.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
At the range I always use foamy plugs and depending on the pistol or rifle I’ll use Leights amplifying muffs also.

Hunting from our box stands I clamp the muffs on my leg and if I hear anything like birds or squirrels cutting up, I put them on and turn on the amplifying mode.

If nothing is going on I clamp them on the top of my head about an hour before sunset so it’s easy to pull them down quickly with minimal movement. In any event, about 1/2 hour before sunset I’ll put them on and turn on the sound so if anything shows up there’s no delay in shooting.

I learned my lesson about 10 years ago while sitting in a box blind. I shot a coyote with my 20” 30/06 carbine without any protection and I’ll never do it again.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
navlav8r - cheap foam type ones ( not those soft plastic layered ring jobs) with the cord are great. Throw a few in your case and jacket pockets. Leave them hanging around your neck and you won't even know they are there and they typically offer greater protection than full blown muffs. I have these things everywhere. Once less piece of anything to lug around.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by las
Target shooting, foam plugs plus Caldwell electronic muffs. Hunting, nothing.

A while back someone said he doesn't ("use" or "need" - I forget the term he used) hearing protection for .22, only for bigger stuff.

IIRC one should use hearing protection for anything above 85 decibels. .22 runs about 140db.

I use to shoot alot of indoor 22RF in my early years/ never use plugs or muffs/ hearing is shot now/ ear doctor told me that a 22RF is the worst to shoot as you don't know it's doing damage till its to late/ 82 lost in my left ear and 52 on the right/ I say alot of WHAT drives my wife nuts

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have electric ear plugs and electronic muffs. If I’m shooting with other people I’ll use one of those. If I’m by myself shooting targets, I mostly use foam ear plugs or regular muffs. If I’m hunting, the electronic ear plugs might be the best option for me.

Foam ear plugs are cheap and effective.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Usually only wear something afield when dove hunting. Always wear foam plugs, sometimes with muffs on top, at the range, depending on what’s being fired.

Tomorrow I’m going out turkey hunting carrying my S&W 5.7. Will have a pair of Walker plugs along JIC. That thing is plenty loud, not .357 loud, but more than I want to endure for even one shot unprotected. The Walker plugs aren’t great protection, and the cord annoys the crap outta me, but better than going cowboy.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Peltor. They are AMAZING. I use the. For everything. Ducks, deer, dove, etc.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Bighorn
On a recent hunt, I used ear protection from AXIL GS Extreme. These are electronic, rechargeable, and do a great job of shutting down gunfire noise while allowing sounds at normal or amplified levels. I was shooting my 475 Linebaugh handgun, not exactly a quiet firearm, and was happy with the sound reduction. Also, comfortable to wear all day.

I bought a set on Black Friday deal, two for one. They were good but would not recharge. I tried both sets and then returned them and got two more. And they would not recharge. No idea if it was me, or what but I could not get the four sets to recharge. Company returned my money. They were comfortable but I couldn’t make them work.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've tried a bunch, some listed above. I wish I could find some that allow me to equilibrate while calling. It never sounds right with ear protection, and I've tried some expensive electronic versions.

The few shots a year I take at big game don't have much of an effect on my hearing. It's the thousands of rounds shot at birds every year that do real damage.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love my Otto Noizebarriers. Spendy but wish I would have bought them years ago.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just a set of brandless Mickey Mouse ears. Quick to pop on and off with no batteries to worry about.

Should my mind fail and I forget, some wadded up paper towel or toilet paper. Haven't tried any pistol cartridges yet.

Worst is a braked 30-378 that kills anything within a 200-foot radius when it barks.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/15/23.

1Minute
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

These work pretty well for me when bird, duck and deer hunting. Pretty cheap to.

https://www.earplugstore.com/health-enterprises-acu-life-impact-ear-plugs.html

Last edited by Mike_S; 05/16/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
stxhunter wins the internet today! grin grin grin grin

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Some pretty good options here: https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/best-hunting-ear-protection/
For what it's worth, I wear the new AXIL XCOR ear buds and I think they're excellent.

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (badwolf, BDR1, batch, BB3, 10 invisible), 1,465 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,056
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.