Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
iskra Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
I'll see that .243 Fwt value question and cast my own 243 Standard Weight valuation request! smile smile smile She's of 1959, appears all original happily with about 95 percent condition. Bore is great. I know a fair amount about the rifle genre itself but am 'lost in space of 'good old days' perspective valuation! No immediate plans to sell, but seeking a "collector value" versus field gun if differential. Pix below.
Appreciate opinions.
Thanks & Best!
John

Attached Images
R95-5U.jpg (21.38 KB, 362 downloads)
R95-19.jpg (27.76 KB, 361 downloads)
R95-9U.jpg (17.47 KB, 363 downloads)
R95-13U.jpg (23.83 KB, 364 downloads)
R95-18.jpg (29.77 KB, 360 downloads)
Last edited by iskra; 05/01/23.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I thought you were the "expert"??? I just saw one like that sell today for $1,800.00 roughly. It was about 98% condition and all original. As you know, the standards are harder to find in this chambering than the fwt models. Yours is not quite as desirable as a pre '58, but still very nice. I'm assuming it has the composite butt plate? As some of us know, prices on the pre 64 model 70's are going down a little. As compared to about 2-3 years ago. Well, some of us know that. Yours is nice John. What do you think it's worth?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Sounds reasonable to me, it is a nice rifle. I love mine and would not part with it for that, but the wood on mine is extraordinary. Dark, hand checkered, lots of striping and figure.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
A standard weight just went on sale at GI, curious 243 and 308 featherweight and 243 standard weight exactly what is being asked here. Pricing seems very reasonable wouldnt think they would last long

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Before pre-64 M70’s became de rigueur here on the ‘fire purchased a 95%+ .243 Standard Rifle for $1,000 shipped in the Classifieds. As I recall it languished there for a day or two.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Lucky!

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

I know where that one went..

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
refinished stock.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by richj
refinished stock.
On which?

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
refinished stock.
On which?
refinished stock.

Maybe on the OP's. Pics are kind of crappy.. Hard to say for sure.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Certifiable

I know where that one went..

Good snag!!

BSA MAGA
I
iskra Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
That "recent" Web reference above, a beauty! The bluing on the bottom metal doesn't look right, but perhaps the camera, lighting or most likely "Shopped" as in retouched for whatever reason. It looks more like "new" blue-black featherweight alloy. To my own aged eyes!

My above rifle wasn't on the top of my Model 70 acquisition 'hit parade' as making it mine. I would have preferred such in .308, but the rifle 'happening' as in font of me. Price & condition nice and that .243 chambering to my experience in that early nineties era, "uncommon" in SWt.
BSA, the butt plate is steel. Yet era correct parameters and more desirable than plastic. I'm happier with steel & for me a few positive 'clicks'!
Far as expertise... No. Advanced student, good with that. My question here carefully worded - I thought - simply asking valuation of the rifle as depicted since, as said not keeping up with pricing. No inference intended re "what it is".
Even pricing, Adding we live now in a world of such inflation, arising to any investment as speculation. My position on toilet paper "futures" as just "hunkered down"!! smile
Thanks to all for the commentaries.
Best!
John

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Iskra: My two specimens of pre-64 Winchester Model 70 Standard Rifles are of the later era (564,XXX & 523,XXX) but they are both in pristine condition.
I would not sell either of mine for $1,800.00.
Did you mean to say "sixties era" in your just above post NOT "nineties era"?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by iskra
That "recent" Web reference above, a beauty! The bluing on the bottom metal doesn't look right, but perhaps the camera, lighting or most likely "Shopped" as in retouched for whatever reason. It looks more like "new" blue-black featherweight alloy. To my own aged eyes!

My above rifle wasn't on the top of my Model 70 acquisition 'hit parade' as making it mine. I would have preferred such in .308, but the rifle 'happening' as in font of me. Price & condition nice and that .243 chambering to my experience in that early nineties era, "uncommon" in SWt.
BSA, the butt plate is steel. Yet era correct parameters and more desirable than plastic. I'm happier with steel & for me a few positive 'clicks'!
Far as expertise... No. Advanced student, good with that. My question here carefully worded - I thought - simply asking valuation of the rifle as depicted since, as said not keeping up with pricing. No inference intended re "what it is".
Even pricing, Adding we live now in a world of such inflation, arising to any investment as speculation. My position on toilet paper "futures" as just "hunkered down"!! smile
Thanks to all for the commentaries.
Best!
John

You are correct. The steel butt plate specimen is generally more desirable. However, one with a refinished stock, is not as desirable. Flip a coin there. Someone said the stock was refinished. Now, there were 2 rifles posted in this thread and that guy did not specify which one he was referring to. However, Yours would appear to be along those lines, as the composite butt plate rifle does not appear to be. Based on the pictures I have seen. Again, as we all know. Good pictures are required for a full assessment. You know how that works. Even though you are not looking for a full evaluation of the rifle, that is the only way you are going to get an honest assessment of value. Just how the cookie crumbles. What was posted is an honest comparison, and I believe the composite butt plate rifle is worth more than the one you pictured. Honestly, it's in much better condition. And as we know, condition and originality is everything. You can always ask your buddies in the other Winchester internet forums. Maybe see what they say?

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
BSA- when I get the .243 standard in the link above I’ll shoot you some pictures of the bottom metal

I
iskra Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Robert, my words above as speculation only and based on instant eval. No great analytic product! BSA regarding my .243 Standard Model 70, I'd concur that the stock looks too shiny for original in the pix. I frankly haven't paid much attention to it. The subject matter only drawn out as conjuring the prior post re "Featherweight" .243. Regardless of the bottom metal question, you hit the nail on the head re an outsized question weighing in more heavily than butt plate materials. That rifle isn't convenient to whisk out for hands on eval and the pix I use for all purposes here are from a cheap camera with only intent, to document for insurance and my own research purposes. Any use for "prime time' materials, then purely coincidental!
Nuff said, I bow to your observation as entirely valid and 'on point'! When eventually an item for sale, a buyer can view & construe! smile

I do appreciate the estimates derived from folks here as generalization. Guns despite wild price deviations are a relative "steady state universe" compared to many "staid, conservative" investments of past decades as now - such as bank failures and bond holders involved! A 'different planet'!
Best & hope no readers here are in any "Hedge Funds or Bitcoin-esque adventures! frown
John

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Any way to date a standard 243 Mod pre64 barrel?

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Just the barrel?
Winchester discontinued the under barrel date stamp in 1956, 243 Standard rifles were first catalogued in 1955, but who knows? If its still in the stock one could narrow it down a bit, pretty difficult to get a definitive date

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The barrel did not come with the receiver and the receiver is a 1956 model.
I'm definitely not a Winchester guy. Were some finished in rust blue or the high gloss blue?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

714 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16Racing, 63 invisible), 2,868 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,844
Posts18,478,302
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.