Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Any rust blued would be Super Grades. They may or may not have Super Grade markings. The front sight ramp is an indicator. I think all 243 had soldered ramps. Stippled, 14 serrations 18 serrations, etc.

The word is Striations (lines) 14 would be common on 1955-1957. 18 would be from approx 410000 serial number range. There are a couple of experimental ramps used from 55-57 as well, starting at 325000 serial number.

What do you have?

Last edited by sbrmike; 05/05/23.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Any rust blued would be Super Grades. They may or may not have Super Grade markings. The front sight ramp is an indicator. I think all 243 had soldered ramps. Stippled, 14 serrations 18 serrations, etc.

The word is Striations (lines) 14 would be common on 1955-1957. 18 would be from approx 410000 serial number range. There are a couple of experimental ramps used from 55-57 as well, starting at 325000 serial number.

What do you have?

The one that I bought from your buddy. Stippled and shiney blue.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by robertham1
BSA- when I get the .243 standard in the link above I’ll shoot you some pictures of the bottom metal
When your brother contacted me regarding that rifle, everything looked great. Was there an issue with the bottom metal we couldn’t see? I also like the fwt model your brother bought. You guys will have to let me know how those rifles shoot. Thanks!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
To butchlambert:

That is a possibility as original to 1956. The 18 Striation version would definitely not be original to 1956. No date puts it @ 1956 or later. The Stippling was used from 243 introduction to 1955. Plus Rule lists a few experimentals 55-57 and specifically lists a Stippled version used sporadically from serial 325000 in 1955 until 410000 in 1957.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
that is nice per-64, stock has been refinished as others have posted ,$1500.00 - $2,000.00 is the retail value . good luck,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
BSA- when I get the .243 standard in the link above I’ll shoot you some pictures of the bottom metal
When your brother contacted me regarding that rifle, everything looked great. Was there an issue with the bottom metal we couldn’t see? I also like the fwt model your brother bought. You guys will have to let me know how those rifles shoot. Thanks!!

Not that I know of. I should have it next week and will report back

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Not that I know of. I should have it next week and will report back

Ok, just wondering why you were going to send pics of the bottom metal?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
After pulling my head from my arse, and checking my reading comprehension. I see where I was mistaken.

I thought you and iskra were agreeing that the bottom metal on the linked rifle looked off. I now see I was mistaken!

Last edited by robertham1; 05/06/23.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Iskra raised the question on the Guns International 243 floor plate color.

For those commenting that Iskra’s stock looks refinished, with the quality of photo, what are you basing that on?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i own 10 pre-64 model 70`s none have that shiny of a finish but the rifle is still a dandy to buy.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

I
iskra Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Some disjointed response comments from above, not necessarily in order.

A point of order on Winchester 70 "dating". First, that serialization number via best source "Polishing Room" data, may widely differ from he barrel date found in under stock breech area. "Barrel date" reflects when the barrel manufacture was completed. Assembled quickly or shelved for a decade or more! Factually some rare chambered Model 70 rifles with SNs in early Postwar and barrels dated prewar! An period known as "Barrel Cleanup era" as Winchester disposed of old prewar stock barrels creating legit "Factory new rifles!" such as my 55xxx SN Model 70 Carbine in 7mm.

Model 70 receivers were not built out in sequential order and may vary in terms of calendar year dating's to such as intro of chambering! I don't doubt there were factually some prewar dated receivers not built out until postwar too. The situation is "collector presumption" as being pretty rigid. We know for instance that the Factory did make custom accommodations such as D&T scope holes before production line reality. But collectors work on probability theory and simply disdain to accord a probability factor. If it's not of "known" production factory features", it's fatally "Non-original! Case closed & I agree with that! Credible "Provenance" the only exception... Maybe! smile Custom "group orders" as documented such as the Gopher Shooter Supply "barrel sights delete" are such exceptions forming "Class" of variation.

Concerning blue, the dull blue prevailed in the late forties forward to my knowledge. Prior a deeper 'higher polish' blue but "Custom Shop plus... "Your experience may have varied." I'd check "The Good Book: Rifleman's rifle if I could just find it!

Varmint Guy: I intentionally stated "nineties era", reflecting when I acquired the rifle. Sorry if any lack of clarity and thanks for the opportunity for me to make clear.

I've added yet another question to a growing list "pending getting to my guns with time to review". Or fate what it is, my Estate, if to give a "S**t! smile

Thanks to all contributors here, I'ts been fun! Let's do it again soon! Just 'other subject perhaps!' smile smile smile

Best!
John

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
After pulling my head from my arse, and checking my reading comprehension. I see where I was mistaken.

I thought you and iskra were agreeing that the bottom metal on the linked rifle looked off. I now see I was mistaken!

Ok my friend. I was wondering what may have been the issue. Everything on that rifle looks original to me. Great score!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by iskra
Some disjointed response comments from above, not necessarily in order.

A point of order on Winchester 70 "dating". First, that serialization number via best source "Polishing Room" data, may widely differ from he barrel date found in under stock breech area. "Barrel date" reflects when the barrel manufacture was completed. Assembled quickly or shelved for a decade or more! Factually some rare chambered Model 70 rifles with SNs in early Postwar and barrels dated prewar! An period known as "Barrel Cleanup era" as Winchester disposed of old prewar stock barrels creating legit "Factory new rifles!" such as my 55xxx SN Model 70 Carbine in 7mm.

Model 70 receivers were not built out in sequential order and may vary in terms of calendar year dating's to such as intro of chambering! I don't doubt there were factually some prewar dated receivers not built out until postwar too. The situation is "collector presumption" as being pretty rigid. We know for instance that the Factory did make custom accommodations such as D&T scope holes before production line reality. But collectors work on probability theory and simply disdain to accord a probability factor. If it's not of "known" production factory features", it's fatally "Non-original! Case closed & I agree with that! Credible "Provenance" the only exception... Maybe! smile Custom "group orders" as documented such as the Gopher Shooter Supply "barrel sights delete" are such exceptions forming "Class" of variation.

Concerning blue, the dull blue prevailed in the late forties forward to my knowledge. Prior a deeper 'higher polish' blue but "Custom Shop plus... "Your experience may have varied." I'd check "The Good Book: Rifleman's rifle if I could just find it!

Varmint Guy: I intentionally stated "nineties era", reflecting when I acquired the rifle. Sorry if any lack of clarity and thanks for the opportunity for me to make clear.

I've added yet another question to a growing list "pending getting to my guns with time to review". Or fate what it is, my Estate, if to give a "S**t! smile

Thanks to all contributors here, I'ts been fun! Let's do it again soon! Just 'other subject perhaps!' smile smile smile

Best!
John

Don't be getting your panties in a bunch. You want me to start a thread on some rifles I just bought? The std wt is all original, except for the stock. It happens man, but I only paid $700 for it, with the Leupold on top.. Just how the cookie crumbles. I need to take the girlfriend out to dinner, but you guys are more than welcome to tear this one apart, while I'm out and about. Just got home, so things have been busy!!!!! Doesn't have the original 22G 3C rear sight, and the sling swivels have been chromed!!! It also has a trigger shoe I'll be removing when I get some time.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
It's a 1953 270 win, though not a 243. The last 243 fwt (had 2 to pick from) I had in hand was $800.00 and all original. Still kicking myself in the azz for not buying either one of those!!!!!

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
BSA, I will throw a few things about that gun. Pure late 1960's look! I generally don't like a high gloss finish on wood but that color and grade wood looks very nice shined up! Looks like a Weatherby Mark V or one of those high end guns out of Japan. If it was mine I would change the recoil pad for two reasons. I don't like how they didn't continue with the toe line. Plus the pad shows signs of aging much more than the rest of the gun. I would lose the chrome bits too. I would be proud to hunt with that gun.

Is that a trigger shoe or a Canjar Single Set? Either way I prefer plain old M70 Win triggers, but a Canjar Single Set is a good trigger and worth a few bucks!

Last edited by sbrmike; 05/07/23.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sbrmike
BSA, I will throw a few things about that gun. Pure late 1960's look! I generally don't like a high gloss finish on wood but that color and grade wood looks very nice shined up! Looks like a Weatherby Mark V or one of those high end guns out of Japan. If it was mine I would change the recoil pad for two reasons. I don't like how they didn't continue with the toe line. Plus the pad shows signs of aging much more than the rest of the gun. I would lose the chrome bits too. I would be proud to hunt with that gun.

Is that a trigger shoe or a Canjar Single Set? Either way I prefer plain old M70 Win triggers, but a Canjar Single Set is a good trigger and worth a few bucks!

Thanks Mike. I agree on all accounts. Yeah, I will probably replace the pad with a red pachmayr. However, there is still some life left in this one. The rifle fits me very well and the stock feels great in the hands. Generally I like to hunt my fwt's or lightweight magnums, but this stock fits me like a glove. It also does not have the dreaded roll over cheek piece, that I don't like. It sure does look 70's Weatherby style to me as well. It is very shiny/glossy. My first thoughts were to remove that from the checkering, at least, but I don't know if I want to bother with it? It's functional, as is. I was working on it today, cleaning it up. But it did not need much cleaning up at all. The more I looked at the bluing and the bolt face and crown, the more I think it was not fired much at all. Here are some more pics from today, after I installed my preferred scope mounts. I had an old gloss Leupold Vari-x IIc 3-9X40 laying around, so I replaced the M8 6x. I also did like you said and replaced the chrome plated sling swivels to something more useable:

Something is not quite right with this matte finished front sight hood too. It does not fit as well as others I've had, and the other ones I have are more of a polished blue finish. I ordered 2 hoods today, and will possibly use this one on my new to me fwt. As most of that rifle is matte finished.

The rifling looks excellent too, so I'm thinking it's going to shoot very well. I also looked at my Rules book and in 1952, they used a Marbles 69 sight. This is a 1953 rifle, and I did not see which sight it uses. My best guess is a marbles 69 (which it appears to have), or a Lyman 16B. So my first inclination was wrong. I figured it would have used a 22G 3C.. Again, any comments are welcome. Hopefully it's not cluttering the OP's thread!!! Thanks!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You guys seen many of the Heavy Barrel P64 243s? Any ideas what they’re going for, for a clean one?

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
You guys seen many of the Heavy Barrel P64 243s? Any ideas what they’re going for, for a clean one?

I saw some on gunsinternational a while back. Prices ranged from $1,600 -$6,000+. Depends on condition and who is selling it. I just looked and found one in rough condition, with a long target scope on it for $2,295.00. They list it as "90%" condition, but it appears to be much worse to me. If you are looking for a real clean one, I'd probably expect to pay around $2,800.00. Perry county had one listed at around $1,600.00 and they said it was "95%" condition. It was in less condition than that, and also had a really thin butt plate installed. Condition and lack of originality deemed it a $1,600.00 rifle. I'm assuming you are asking about the varmint model, and not the target model??

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yup. Varmint model.

Semper Fi
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
hey BSA, you did really well on that 270 - congrats !
And while stock isn't original, I don't know if I would change it - that's a nice "working" rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by stealthgoat
hey BSA, you did really well on that 270 - congrats !
And while stock isn't original, I don't know if I would change it - that's a nice "working" rifle.

Thanks stealthgoat. I don't know about you guys, but it seems like every time I see a 270, it is over $1,100.00. I run across good 30-06's all the time. I'm thinking I'll just leave this 270 as is, like you said it's a good working rifle. Now I wish I would not have sold all of my 150gr Nosler partitions!!!

I was just looking at Leupold M8 6x scopes on ebay and the first one I saw was at $250 and some buy it now prices from $329-$450.00+. Dang, I did not realize the straight powered scopes were selling for that much!!

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

240 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 35WhelenNut, 30Gibbs, 338Rules, 32 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,863
Posts18,478,602
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.