Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
So years ago bought late model BBR in 270, great rifle, then within the last year got an early model BBR in 30/06 from an auction, now found out I was successful in getting this one in 300 win mag, again an earlier version.
Very accurate rifles.,

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
HR IC

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
NICE !!!!

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Congrats. that's a nice selection of cartridges you have.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Been awhile but at one time I loaded for 17 calibers including obsolete ones, not sure how many now. eek

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My dad has a 7 mag bbr still new in the original box. It has a factory error on the stock clear coat were there's a spit about the size of a penny where there's no clear coat. I put in a satellite dish for a guy near Star Valley Wyoming that owned a little gunshop and took that bbr and a ruger no1 30-06 on trade.

The ruger was supposed to be mine for all the weekends I spent driving to Wyoming to work on satellite dishes for my family's electronics business. I brought I thousands every weekend I went and often didn't get paid so the ruger was going to cover that. That is until stepmom found out and demanded my dad sell my ruger and bring her the cash.

I don't think star valley Wyoming area had seen a satellite repair guy for years in the late 80s. We'd just drive down the road and see dishes pointing in the wrong direction and stop. Sometimes we'd sell 3 full new 10 foot wine guard dish systems in a day. Come back the next weekend and put them in. We sont new receivers and gear drives like crazy. Word spread like crazy because those Wyoming guys loved it that we did a good job. However, our distributor in saw how much our sales went up suddenly and pretty much cut us out of wyoming. I was a heck or a run for a while though. Pulling a flat bed trailor loaded up with an 85 gmc 4x4 with the gutless 305 in it from Burley to star valley. I remember staying In a Swiss looking hotel in Alpine that's since been torn down. Funny the memories a rifle can bring back.

Bb

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Years ago, first big game rifle I purchased for myself was a BBR in 300 Win Mag. Thought I was on top of the world! Lol! Very nice rifles you have, enjoy!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Man, I want one of these in 25-06 pretty bad. Been watching them on GB for a while.
Happy for you!

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Simplepeddler
Man, I want one of these in 25-06 pretty bad. Been watching them on GB for a while.
Happy for you!
I also am thinking I would like one in 25/06 and maybe 243.

Have those calibres but not in a BBR

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well rifle arrived, looks great but safety is stiff and I will have to take it apart to check out.
Ran some plastic dummy snap cap rounds threw it but they did not get extracted, factory loaded rounds functioned fine and ejected well.
So will make up some dummies from real brass just to see.
Still have to borescope it and give it a cleaning to see how it is bore wise.
Oh and the tasco scope is either canted or maybe the cross hairs rotated, again will have to see.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
So scope is canted, so tried to loosen the screws and two came lose and two others broke my Allen wrench, so looks to be red stuff, so ended up just undoing the windage screw and turned scope off, so will use a better scope and new dovetail rings from Leupold and that will fix my issue.

Later I can try drill the heads off and see if I can save the other rings.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I took apart an AR mount w/scope the other day where the works had been slathered in red loctite. What a pain. The fact that no screw heads stripped is a testament to the quality of fasteners that Burris uses. I just knew one would spin. I also found that compressing the rings a touch in a bench vise took off enough tension to where my torx wrench was mainly just fighting the glue, which it eventually powered through.

Now with even more aplomb
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Bought a bbr in 30-06 off my biology teacher when I was in 7th grade. Had the deep blue and fancy walnut. Paid him 270 bucks in change and ones for about 2 years until it was mine. Had a 3x9 swift on it that my dad bought for a Christmas present. Didn't know what I had and like an idiot sold it in college. Wish I still had that rifle. Great actions and I loved how the clip could be removed from the floor plate.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have three, one is my original with the nice looking stock with both rosewood fore end and grip cap from 1980 and my two recent ones that were early models with the dark wood and only rosewood on grip cap and angled fore end, not rounded like my layer model.

In hiindsight I should have known to heat screws first.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My first centerfire was a BBR in 30-06 I bought new around 1986 with a gloss Leupold 2.5-8. Think I paid about $600 for the package. That rifle is every bit as accurate as any of my Sako's or Weatherby's.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yep, if you ever run into this, just heat the screws with a sharp tipped electric soldering iron. It helps a lot, where nothing else works. I don't use red loctite on anything gun related. No need to. I'll use blue on base screws, or green for bedding AR barrel extensions into the receiver, but never red. That is just asking for trouble.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
As cruiser1 says my original 270 from 40 years ago prints cloverleafs, is very accurate.
Now on this one with scrubbed bore I found some pitting about 4 inches ahead of the chamber, it should not affect accuracy, but hate finding stuff like that.

And after taking the whole scope off with rings attached I found every thing including dovetail in base were all coated with red loctite, and even after all that they managed to have the scope canted.
So replaced the unit with my own using Leupold rings.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 45 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,238
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.