Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
A lightweight Rem 700 SA just came to live with me. Mountain Rifle barrel, excellent trigger, Ti stock. The action has been blueprinted. Is it customary to set the barrel back when this work is done? Mine has clearly been set back. It measures 22” to the bolt face rather than to the front of the receiver. It’s clearly been marked 257 Roberts, not factory markings, and the proof marks are on the right side of the barrel.

HR IC

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Thank you. I think it was single point cut and the whole 9 yards done. I wondered about the head spacing requiring a setback but couldn’t find anything specific on Google-foo. The barrel is 21.25” at the front ring. Very clean work.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you true an action on a lathe you are making the thread size larger so you typically rebarrel it because the old barrel threads won’t make contact well enough… so it’s not as much a setback as replacement unless it was a really long shank (not normal)..

the guy should touch up the lug surfaces on both the action & bolt, and square the bolt face… if he’s blueprinting…

then again some guys call running a “tap” into an action truing it …. But not IMHO…

Last edited by Spotshooter; 05/08/23.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Bolt face to crown is the correct way to measure.

IIRC on yours the proof marks are actually centered underneath the scope? Are the normal Remington markings then on the underside of the barrel?

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
My proofs are to the right of center under the scope bell.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Any/all S/A Big Green 257 Bob's are pieces of fhuqking chit,as COAL is beyond trite. Hint.

Setting an OEM Bob spout back,will reduce a Linda Lovelace throat,while doing NOTHING for concentricity. Hint.

"Blueprinted" is a vague term,capturing nothing that makes a fhuqk,by literal definition. Hint.

Cerrosafe is your BEST friend. Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I’m not overly concerned about COAL and being able to push my loads. I think the factory length will give me what I want for the woods hunting I do. I have a 25-06 if I want more cartridge. Or something bigger. Any setback was for correct headspacing I think rather than concentricity.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Thinking" ain't your long suit and your "understanding" of Blueprinting is fhuqking HILARIOUS. Hint.

Headspace is measured in the .001" realm and your setback sure in the fhuqk exceeds that grossly. Hint.

Long way iof saying,you bought a 257 Bob Dumbfhuqk,from a Dumbfhuqk and you are assuredly a Dumbfhuqk. Congrats?!? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
You’re probably right. In your calm & courteous way. If it isn’t whizzing rain down I’ll take it to the range tomorrow. Hell, it may not even shoot.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Old rooster, what was it originally chambered for? Those markings should be on the underside of the barrel yes? Was it always a 257?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is no standard definition for truing or blueprinting. It does sound like some bubba smithing. Most gunsmiths worth their salt won't screw a factory barrel back on after all that work, nor will they install a new premium barrel without also doing the work.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Wolverine, ima pull it out of the stock when I get home. I’ve had no time to do more than wipe it down since I picked it up.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
sounds like a factory set up to me...its the total length of the barrel not from the lug forward

Last edited by gene270; 05/08/23.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The so-called blueprinting of a Remington action will usually consist of several straight- forward machining operations which, if done correctly, will improve straightness and concentricity. If done incorrectly, they will only change dimensions. If threads are recut with a single point cutter, the thread size may or may not be increased significantly. With the way vee threads work, a slightly oversized thread will do no harm. If barrel setback is done to improve concentricity, it will have to come back at least the length of the existing neck. If only to minimize headspace, a few thou will do. It is the shoulder of the barrel and the face of the receiver which determine headspace. If the face of the receiver is re-cut, as it would be in a typical blueprinting job, headspace will be reduced. Trueing the bolt face will restore headspace to the previous measurement, or nearly so.
Quite often, the entire blueprinting operation is thinly disguised bullcrap which is sold to a gullible customer by an inept gun builder. While the machining is basic enough, there are still some semi-complex consequences of each operation. True the receiver face, and headspace is reduced. True the boltface and headspace is increased. Recut the locking lug seats and locking lugs, and headspace is increased while primary extraction camming is reduced. Striker travel is reduced.
I consider the blueprinted action to be one of the less beneficial features to be found in a custom rifle; even when done well. GD

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Got to the range for a short session with the 257. I had 3 different loads on the shelf and just grabbed them. The last load of 100 gr Hornadys shot exactly 1” at 100 yards. With a little load development it will be fine. I’m not crazy yet about the 6x Meopta. One more range session and I’ll decide if I want to keep it or switch to a 3x9 Leupold.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by OldRooster
Got to the range for a short session with the 257. I had 3 different loads on the shelf and just grabbed them. The last load of 100 gr Hornadys shot exactly 1” at 100 yards. With a little load development it will be fine. I’m not crazy yet about the 6x Meopta. One more range session and I’ll decide if I want to keep it or switch to a 3x9 Leupold.

Any particulars?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by OldRooster

Any particulars?

Put me in line if you think you hate it and don’t want it darkening your rifle grin

Semper Fi
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
mathman,

The optics were good, I could pick out .25 cal holes at 100 yards. I believe the eye relief was what was cited in the specs at 3.7” though I felt like I was crawling up the stick a bit. At 100 yards I missed the other 3x I gained with a good 3-9. The adjustments are good and crisp and it holds adjustment, at least sitting the 257. I’m going to give it another session or two to see if I fall in love.
As for loads, it didn’t care for the Federal Premium 117s (none of my 257s have), 117 Hornadys over 4350 were minute of deer - 2 1/2”’ to 3”><. 87s over 4350 we’re good at 1” and so were 100s. Next up will be loads 100s & 117s over H414?and RL22.

Last edited by OldRooster; 05/09/23.
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
👍

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (10gaugemag, 338Rules, 300_savage, 35, 375sunrise, 7mm_Loco, 14 invisible), 1,459 guests, and 825 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,651
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.