Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
This week I purchased a Ruger M-77 257 Roberts and serial # places it February 1990 manufacture. The owner had the original box, M-77 instructions and parts list booklet, 1 box of Winchester Western 8-12-1992 reloads and another box of reloads of same date ( 8 empty cases, 7 loaded cases and 5 missing cases).

In addition, a package of two trigger overtravel adjustment set screws and a hex head key, plus DIRECTIONS FOR REPLACEMENT OF RUGER M -77 TRIGGER OVERTRAVEL ADJUSTMENT SET SCREW instructions.

The "instructions pertain only to the replacement of the M-77 trigger adjustment set screw that have not been factory epoxied into place. Rifles that have had the screw epoxied into place have a "T" etched on the underside of the bolt handle and do not require a replacement screw. Attempting to remove an epoxied screw will result in irreparable damage to the screw and its housing. "

This rifle does not have a "T" etched on the underside of the bolt handle. I asked the owner why he did not install the new screws and he said he is no gunsmith.

I looked over the instructions and it looks like I should be able to accomplish it. Anyone do this set screw replacement and tips to accomplish?

Last edited by StumpDodger; 05/07/23.

Go Ahead And Backup
HR IC

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It was easy, I unscrewed original screw and then screwed new one in, but decided not to do the rest.

I decided it was a lawyer thing and I like being able to adjust the triggers.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I remember doing it years ago but that’s about all I remember. I don’t recall any problems.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by StumpDodger
This week I purchased a Ruger M-77 257 Roberts and serial # places it February 1990 manufacture. The owner had the original box, M-77 instructions and parts list booklet, 1 box of Winchester Western 8-12-1992 reloads and another box of reloads of same date ( 8 empty cases, 7 loaded cases and 5 missing cases).

In addition, a package of two trigger overtravel adjustment set screws and a hex head key, plus DIRECTIONS FOR REPLACEMENT OF RUGER M -77 TRIGGER OVERTRAVEL ADJUSTMENT SET SCREW instructions.

The "instructions pertain only to the replacement of the M-77 trigger adjustment set screw that have not been factory epoxied into place. Rifles that have had the screw epoxied into place have a "T" etched on the underside of the bolt handle and do not require a replacement screw. Attempting to remove an epoxied screw will result in irreparable damage to the screw and its housing. "

This rifle does not have a "T" etched on the underside of the bolt handle. I asked the owner why he did not install the new screws and he said he is no gunsmith.

I looked over the instructions and it looks like I should be able to accomplish it. Anyone do this set screw replacement and tips to accomplish?
You CAN accomplish this task, its very easy by following the instructions. I’ve performed this procedure several times on tang safety rifles, and its quite simply.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Got it done. Now to work on trigger pull weight.

Go Ahead And Backup
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,046
Posts18,500,919
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.