Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Lucked into 2 pre 64 model 70's over the weekend. Although they are not all original, they are nice to look at and shoot.

1953 STD wt in a custom stock:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
When I got it, it was wearing an older Leupold M8 6X gloss scope in a one piece redfield mount. I like a variable power scope better, so I threw an old like new Leupold Vari-x IIc 3-9X40 on it. Took it to the range today, with as minimal components as a guy could get:

When I bought this rifle, the shop also had 10 pcs of new primed brass for $5, so I snagged that too. That is what I shot today. 5 shots to get it somewhat dialed in and 5 on target:

Gotta love it when you get lucky like that. Scope is one I bought for $150.00 a couple months ago. Seemed to adjust well enough and looks like it holds zero. The bullets I found at the small town Ace Hardware that also sells reloading components. Threw that load together on a whim and a prayer. I'm thinking the rifle shows some promise.

I pulled the matte finish front sight hood off and will replace it with a nice polished blue one I have coming in the mail.

The other cool rifle I found last weekend is a 1956 270 FWT. I pulled the gloss Leupold 2.5-8x36 off because it was pretty beat up. Threw a brand new Burris on it, mounted in some Leupold QRW bases and Burris Zee rings:

It looks fairly clean in the pic, but it's been used quite a bit. Bore is still in excellent condition though. Rifle has been glass bedded and whoever did it, did a great job. Here are some more pics that show how worn the finish is on the stock:

Factory finish is flaking in some spots, as they always do when hunted hard:

I'm just waiting on a red pachmayr for this one. As soon as I get one, it's getting installed and I will send some bullets downrange. I'm thinking it should shoot at least 3 shots into an inch. We will see though.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Hard to beat a 270

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
a lot to like there...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Hard to beat a 270

It sure is a great cartridge. One of my best friends used a 270 when we were kids, and has owned and used one since. I always used a 30-06, so we were always in competition. I've had 270's in the past, but always ended up selling them. After selling my last pre 64 270fwt, I told myself I was done with them and sold all of my components!!!! Even the 300 150gr Nosler partitions, that I had for years. I sold those bullets last fall, as luck would have it. Starting all over, with nearly no reloading components for the 270w, but one of my good buddies is bringing me 3 boxes of ammo tonight. As I get older, I have more of an appreciation for different cartridges. Knowing the 270 is damn good, and has been since it's debut in 1925. Flat shooting and hits hard. I'm just glad I have enough room in the safe for these 2 rifles.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by handwerk
a lot to like there...

Thanks handwerk. I can't wait to get a red pachmayr on that fwt. Whoever had that rifle really liked it. They drug it around everywhere, it was pretty dirty when I got it and the stock is dinged up and scratched in spots. It has good character. The bluing is getting thin in spots as well. A rifle that you basically don't have to worry about, to a certain extent I guess..

BSA MAGA
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
bsa, you right about those shooters you don’t have to worry about getting a new scratch on it, just keep feeding it what it likes and it keeps you smiling every time you take it out. My brother had a 270 like that and killed anything that it hit….you did good on them finds.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Hard to beat a 270

Originally Posted by handwerk
a lot to like there...

You aren't kidding. It's near the top of my favorites for just plain old getting it done.

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've always been a 30-06 and 6.5-06 guy. Found a JOC tribute on the classified that CRS luckily decided to sell. Started shooting a .270 win. and it has become my favorite cartridge. A 130 grain bullet rolling along at 3100 from a non magnum is pretty much as good as it gets. You can shoot 90s through 150s, maybe heavier. That versatility right there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm down to having only one 270 from three. I sold a Dakota to a buddy and gave a 700 to a teen girl to take her first moose [61"].
I've been shooting 270s for 60 years and can't remember what all I've killed. Currently I'm shooting 130 TTSX over RL16 and love it.
I did load some 160NPs over RL26 and took a very large cow moose a couple years ago......very effective.

Whoops.....forgot.....I do have another Mountain Ascent in the safe.....unfired.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I’ve never had a 270 that wouldn’t shoot great cartridge

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice rifles. Hard not to like a .270 BSA. Never understood why you were always posting they were gay.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MikeS
Nice rifles. Hard not to like a .270 BSA. Never understood why you were always posting they were gay.

Because it pisses people off, and I like to joke around with guys here. Some take me too seriously though. Anyone that really knows me, knows I pretty much like and appreciate all cartridges. I load for and shoot just about everything. I think it also boils down to teasing my buddy that is a bigtime 270 guy. Like I said previously, there was always a friendly competition between us. I've admitted many times that from what I've seen, the 270 is generally slightly more accurate than the good ol 30-06. Should I say more "inherently" accurate?

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool, so we're in agreement that the 6.5 Creedmoor is the only gay cartridge then...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since the 8mm Lebel of course!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
For me a good pre 64 fwt 270 is the gold standard for a deer rifle by which any other rifles are judged.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by patbrennan
For me a good pre 64 fwt 270 is the gold standard for a deer rifle by which any other rifles are judged.

I'd buy you a drink to that Pat!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
would be a shame to cut the stock on that featherweight

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by blairvt

I would agree however I think it's already been cut judging by the second picture that doesn't show a buttplate.

Nice grabs BSA, even though it's not OEM the stock on that standard is pretty cool. Looks like a stock and checkering pattern you used to be able to order from Herters back in the day.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by blairvt

Its already been cut. An easy way to tell when looking at them is the distance of flat behind the montecarlo. You can also measure from the sling swivel to the end of the butt. A lot of guys here will notice that kind of thing at first glance. I agree with you though, but it was a shame that it has been cut!!!! Yesterday I threw a smaller red pachmayr up to it to check LOP and when doing that, it measures 13 7/16". I generally like 13 1/2" when hunting because I am usually wearing a jacket and also the strap of my back pack gets in the way. This rifle will work out very nicely, I'm hoping. It's beat up enough that I wont' worry about using it on yotes or other things like that either. Of course I'll do my best to keep in in the condition you see it here. I may also wait on just the right used Mcmillan to come along too.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cool, so we're in agreement that the 6.5 Creedmoor is the only gay cartridge then...

Ha ha.. How did I know you were going to say that!!!

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

He can't help but to project his insecurities. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

He can't help but to project his insecurities. grin

At least you haven't highlighted anything in red Professor... 😄

What you guys really need is the 7.6 Creedmoor!

Creedcool

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Shit, I've got the original.

[Linked Image from gunsmagazine.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Hopefully in an older model 99!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Sorry, I'm a bolt action guy.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

The old 300 Savage is a sweet little cartridge.

Check these out. You guys might appreciate these old boxes and brass:
From the 60's or 70's.

Found them yesterday. Got lucky, as 28 out of 40 pcs were primed/new.

I like old Winchester brass. One box was once fired from the box of 130gr Power point ammo, and one of the boxes of primed brass had 12 pcs that were once fired. Didn't mind paying the $10/box, as the boxes are probably worth more than that.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Who was that talking about a horse shoe stuffed where?? Well, took the std wt out today, to fireform some new primed brass. Well, the brass is older than I am, so I don't know if I can really call it "new". Anyway, the stock was really popping today, so I had to take a pic for you guys:

Then I proceeded to fling some boolits downrange, even though it was windy as a bastid:

Those ballistic tips are old too. I was probably in the third grade when they were made?

Now, what surprised me was how consistent the Hornady 150gr SST shoots. Charge weights from 55.5, 56, and 56.5gr printed in the same spot. Keeping in mind, the rifle was zeroed the other day with the 56.5gr load:
Sorry, it looks like 4 shots, but it was 5. The rifle seems to put 2 through the same hole for some reason. Here's a better one where you can actually see 5 holes:

Group size basically the same too.

As I thought about it today, after shooting the rifle, no one in their right mind would have sold this rifle for the small amount I paid for it. You kind of have to feel sorry for the guy that was on his death bed, or his children that let this one go!!!!!!!!!!!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by earlybrd
I’ve never had a 270 that wouldn’t shoot great cartridge

Same here. They just shoot damn well. Great cartridge for sure...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Cool pair. I'd rather a rifle used "responsibly", than a mint one. They are more budget friendly, plus you don't have to be the first guy to ding it in 60 years. If you ever get bored of one, let me know.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by keystoneben
Cool pair. I'd rather a rifle used "responsibly", than a mint one. They are more budget friendly, plus you don't have to be the first guy to ding it in 60 years. If you ever get bored of one, let me know.

I agree buddy. I will likely do like you did, and throw the fwt in a micky and call it a day. Will have to patiently wait for the right one to come along though. Until then, I will throw a red pachmayr on the cut stock and use it as is.. The STD will stay as is. I'm really liking that one. I knew it was going to be a good shooter, as the rifling is pristine. But, it's surprising me, as to how well it's actually shooting. The rifle doesn't appear to have been fired much in its lifetime. It's 70 years old this year too!!! It's in incredible condition for its age.. The custom stock is growing on me too. Ha ha..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The fwt is in fine hunting condition now, except I may want to seal up the stock eventually!! It's far from original anyway, and the original finish is flaking like they do. I was waiting to get the red pachmayr. It came in yesterday, but I was too busy playing at my new 1,000 yard range.

The rifle in question:

I'll take it out here in a bit and see how it shoots. I have a few boxes of factory ammo I got from a buddy, that I may burn up. Well, I will probably burn up 1/2 of it? We will see how she shoots. Feels good in the hands, but like I say, I may end up refinishing the stock to protect it from the rain and snow when hunting it.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,853 guests, and 1,461 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,731
Posts18,475,935
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.