-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a 92 SRC I'm thinking about having restored. I know there are some smaller guys that do "Turnbull quality" work around the Country, and I'm hoping someone could point me towards one or two. My guy recently retired!
Thanks,
Ed

GB1

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
gunstockrefinishing.com They restored/refinished a 1937 savage 99 R that had been varnished with a paint brush by some idiot Paid $485 dollars for the rifle and it was in bad shape. Wouldn't take a $1000 for the rifle now. Very pleased with the results. Easy to deal with, honest, tells you what he will do or goes with what you want done. Was located in northern Virginia 2019. I think he's still in that area.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Correction on that address: It is finegunstockrefinishing.com. Sorry about the first address, went back and checked my correspondence with him to make sure I gave you the correct site.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the tip, Coach.
He looks like he does great work.
I also need a guy for the metal work, if anyone has a tip.....Thanks again

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have no personal experience with them but someone had recommended to me Glenrock Blue at gunbluing.com.

I just haven’t got around to sending it to them.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have used finegunstockfinishing to restore a Springfield 1922 M2 stock, he did fine work at a reasonable cost in a timely manner. Glenrock Blue is used by many engravers to blue their work, they have an excellent reputation.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
When I had the Savage 99 restored John used a gunsmith he knew and trusted to reblue the rifle as well. Work was excellent for my needs.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I saw this the other day. The purist wouldn’t like it but the end result turned out pretty well. Basically case harden the model 70 receiver and reblue the barrel.

Refinish Model 70

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That a very cool video, ldg. Thanks for sharing.
Still looking. I need some fairly serious metal work along with some wood help.
Thanks for the replies,
Ed

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The bluing and color case hardening were great, but the doofus sanded the checkering off the stock then did a bubbasmith job of oil finishing. A recut of the checkering and a pores filled oil finish or lacquer finish would have complimented the other work.

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Hi IDG397, Tanking major exception to your Post concerning color case hardening of the Model 70 receiver on two counts. First, certainly not taking "purist" term, to my mind, in the execution of a Model 70 "restoration" as absolutely "Not" in any sense of the term. Second the balance of what appears suggested as innocuous aesthetics as factually of great significance in tradeoff!

Contrast: Lever mild carbon steel "color case hardening" of era 'best in class' action designs strength factors and metallurgy available. Of "chamberings" also in reflection of pressures/stresses contemplated... All those factors, add "pursuant to manufacturer oversight"! What the Winchester-competent factory renders, let no man put asunder! Net of color case hardening "quality restoration... Fine!

As moved to Bolt action rifles, contemplating inherently greater chamber strengths, adding two 'tech generations'; later with "Nickel Steel" improvement" in route to "Chrome Moly". Execution in Model 70 Receiver, bolt and barrel steel. A steel which may itself reflect some scientifically determined & controlled "surface hardening" of an era decades past in use upon materials similarly of decades past as "best available"... The 'balanced purview' of worthiness. Even in such 'tech', color case hardening featuring infusion of carbon in some high wear applications (such as gear teeth) possible and appropriate of continuous effects of wear. But not necessarily where occasional high stress "component impact deformation" such as bolt lugs to receiver mating surfaces, a different 'spec' proposition! The metallurgy "tailored for the metal in respect of "application"!

Undoing factory specs themselves based on hard core materials science... For the sake of "pretty"... What the heck? The term "restoration" reaching "silly'. Moreover misrepresentation as unnecessary hazard of deviating from most worthy of 'pricey' CroMo utilization!

The 'net-net', of what's good, acceptable, factual "restoration" in a Model 9x lever rifle - IF properly accomplished - entirely "your rifle, your choice". But requesting kindly don't speak of "restoration" as backyard smithy "rule of thumb science" in metallurgy!

Whew...! And just wordy take!
Best and no offense intended... Just advocacy! smile
John

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

187 members (257 mag, 7887mm08, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 18 invisible), 1,572 guests, and 874 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,504
Posts18,490,610
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.