Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I found a sako V 375 h&h locally, camo stock, blued barrel. No ports or threads. its $900.....IS that a solid price and also will i regret having a 375HH with no muzzle brake?

HR IC

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I haven't had a muzzle brake or ports on any of the five or six different .375s I've owned. The recoil of a .375 will certainly get your attention, but I wouldn't call it abusive or unruly. I think the .338 Win Mag is more unpleasant to shoot, own my opinion, than the .375 H&H.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Gotta agree with Dan. My xtr m70 338 kicks alot more than my Whitworth 375. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Interesting and good to know….does anyone know if this stock is factory ?

Attached Images
IMG_6259.jpeg (34.97 KB, 298 downloads)
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That Sako weighs plenty. I wouldn’t stress about the recoil. Substantial yet slow if that makes sense.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska
I haven't had a muzzle brake or ports on any of the five or six different .375s I've owned. The recoil of a .375 will certainly get your attention, but I wouldn't call it abusive or unruly. I think the .338 Win Mag is more unpleasant to shoot, own my opinion, than the .375 H&H.

My observations and gut feelings are,that 375's simply wear more barrel contour(mass),in an oft shared stock,so their felt recoil tends to be less. Hint.

To fuel same,some 375 stocks are purposely made of greater surface area and wear recoil pads of merit. Pardon common sense and Physics. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you shoot a .338 with a 225 grain at 2800 fps and a .375 with a 270 grain at 2550 fps, the .338 has more energy than the .375 because velocity is squared when calculating energy, even though the .375 has more momentum as momentum is mass x velocity.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
If you shoot a .338 with a 225 grain at 2800 fps and a .375 with a 270 grain at 2550 fps, the .338 has more energy than the .375 because velocity is squared when calculating energy, even though the .375 has more momentum as momentum is mass x velocity.

Is this true at more realistic mv’s for both cartridges……2900 or so for the .338 WM and 2700 or so for the .375 H&H?

For my answer to the OP’s question……my old Win. Model 70 .375 H&H has far less felt recoil than my wife’s .338 WM. She ran some 300’s through the H&H and thought it to be pretty tame! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I know of one that has been sitting on the rack at a not so local gun shop. It has a hydraulic recoil pad , doubt it was shot much.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SniffleKchunt,

You'd need to pull more than a few spark plugs,to make a 375 run that slow. Not that you shoot anything,other than your mouth and Imagination. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska

The 'Horn swung by the other day with his newest 416 Rem and we were talking/gawking scopes on Boomers. His wears the Trijicon 1-6x Accupoint and my newest 375 the Brownie MPO 1-6x. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Right out of the gate,he mentioned how the 416 was MUCH softer shooting,than his Flyweight 375 in a Ti stock. My POS Winny shoots rather soft,as such things go and part of that is mass,with the balance being ergo's and buttpad surface area/quality. I let my Flyweight 375 H&H AI go to 'Humper and it defied logic,on how soft it shot 270's in it's Fibergrain AW MacaMillion handle. Hint.

Because both scopes are SFP,I think I prefer the Brownie's reticle. I also prefer it's illumination and turrets(Mil/Mil). Coming full circle,the Swiffer 1-6x HD MQ is my favorite of the ilk and FFP Mil/Mil to boot. Win/win. Hint.

We were shaking our heads and laughing,on how Rifle/Scope Companies soooo badly botch such EASY schit. It'd be tempting to grab a 700 Alpha 1 in 7/300 Mag and stab a Flyweight 21" 375 H&H spout on it. Winchester has NO answer. Hint.(grin).....................

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
BUY IT!

That is a great price for a Sako .375 H&H.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I run the .338 Win Mag 225 grain Barnes at 2950 fps. I wouldn't bother with a .375 unless running 350's at 2300. You can always load 300's in a .338.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SniffleKchunt,

Your Imagination and Pretend,are taking you to places that don't exist...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

It's funnier than fhuqk when you Google aloud,while wearing a bib to catch the drool. Pardons wares and performance that exist. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick
SniffleKchunt,

Your Imagination and Pretend,are taking you to places that don't exist...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

It's funnier than fhuqk when you Google aloud,while wearing a bib to catch the drool. Pardons wares and performance that exist. Hint.

You buy all the rifles in all the chamberings...but you don't really hunt with them. Sure, if someone kills a bear you put your rifle and hat in front of it and pretend you shot it, and you photo shop other photos...but it's mainly just fantasy. As stated recently you buy all these rifles and scopes for the Dopermine hit.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SniffleKchunt,

Your very WELL founded and copious Insecurities,are fhuqking HILARIOUS...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

There's zero need for you to corroborate that someone with your "means","abilities" and "comprehension",simply couldn't begin to fathom the fhuqking magnitude. Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU and your ilk can "afford" to "contribute". I need to put a new rifle together. Hint.

Film at 11:00. HINT.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
SniffleKchunt,

Your very WELL founded and copious Insecurities,are fhuqking HILARIOUS...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

There's zero need for you to corroborate that someone with your "means","abilities" and "comprehension",simply couldn't begin to fathom the fhuqking magnitude. Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU and your ilk can "afford" to "contribute". I need to put a new rifle together. Hint.

Film at 11:00. HINT.

You know Little Stick, I'm the only true friend you have. All the others think you're just a fhuchked up piece of schidt or they just try to obtain some benefit from you. Who else is helping you with all the "issues" going on in your head? I'm the only one helping you "see" what is wrong with you. Now, do you want to tell me about what happened back in Oregon? Putting together another rifle will just increase your dependency on the Dopermine and will require more "hits" in the future.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 05/13/23.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
I run the .338 Win Mag 225 grain Barnes at 2950 fps. I wouldn't bother with a .375 unless running 350's at 2300. You can always load 300's in a .338.

Same ( 225’s @ 2950) on wife’s .338. I use my .375 (AI) for NA game only…..been running 250 TTSX’s (only high BC Barnes available when I got them) @ 3130, will be building a load with 270 LRX’s (hoping for 3K+) this summer. I have no need for any bullet over 300 grains in NA…..plus I can’t push them fast enough for longer ranges! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SniffleKchunt,

Of course I KNOW,that your suffering being you,pales to Pretending to be a part of me...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Between the Stock Doc,a Navy SEAL and Kali Kid,I reckon 180's will sing nicely. Google as you MUST,as you Pretend aloud. Hint.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
SniffleKchunt,

Of course I KNOW,that your suffering being you,pales to Pretending to be a part of me...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Between the Stock Doc,a Navy SEAL and Kali Kid,I reckon 180's will sing nicely. Google as you MUST,as you Pretend aloud. Hint.

You need to do something to the stock...it looks schidt. Too '70's. Need to repaint it, otherwise you won't use it much (like all your other rifles) because it looks so schidt. Oh, and it's good you found an alternate use for the nail polish.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 05/13/23.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SniffleKchunt,

Extoll upon how many times a day you think about me,the durations of same and what I'm wearing...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon wares that exist,as you "live" vicariously. Hint.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
SniffleKchunt,

Extoll upon how many times a day you think about me,the durations of same and what I'm wearing...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon wares that exist,as you "live" vicariously. Hint.

Little Stick, life's too short to hunt with an ugly rifle. Hint.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SniffleKchunt,

You be SURE to "convince" yourself,of all the things you can't begin to afford...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
friend of mine bought a Sako mannlicher carbine in 375 back in the 90s for cheap. he sold it cheap also......

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Jericho
friend of mine bought a Sako mannlicher carbine in 375 back in the 90s for cheap. he sold it cheap also......
Well that was stupid. Love mine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,110
Posts18,502,282
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.