Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I’m going to try 2 or 3 of those recommended. Thanks so much. Looking forward to the trip and reporting back.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck abbydog, it will be fun finding out which bullet your rifle loves best hey?

Looking forward to hearing the results.

Last edited by KillerBee; 06/01/23.

KB

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
... an older (late 70s) Canadian friend of mine from Saskatchewan has shot plenty of Canadian moose with his Remington 742 Woodsmaster in 30-06 Sprng ... with few exceptions 1-shot kills ... like most in his age group his eyesight has declined ... the gun is currently topped with an ancient Bushnell Scopechief 2.5-8x scope with "command post" reticle from the 70s he dug out of a musty cupboard in his basement ... he'll probably do the same this fall if Trudeau doesn't take his rifle from him (it's a semi-auto) ... his ammo? ... factory 180 grain Remington Core-Lokt ... the Canadian Tire price tag on the box "SALE PRICE $6.95"

Proud Life Member of the NRA & GOA
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
abbydog -- wishing you the best on your hunt.

On the moose loads I shoot 165gr out of my 06 and have had great results on both elk and moose. All of the animals I have shot with the 06 are under 300 yds (with 90% under 200) and no follow up required.

quote=pricedo]... ... his ammo? ... factory 180 grain Remington Core-Lokt ... the Canadian Tire price tag on the box "SALE PRICE $6.95"[/quote]

Nice price --- salaries were low in those days as well so that would be a major savings.

Hugh
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by HughW
abbydog -- wishing you the best on your hunt.

On the moose loads I shoot 165gr out of my 06 and have had great results on both elk and moose. All of the animals I have shot with the 06 are under 300 yds (with 90% under 200) and no follow up required.

quote=pricedo]... ... his ammo? ... factory 180 grain Remington Core-Lokt ... the Canadian Tire price tag on the box "SALE PRICE $6.95"

Nice price --- salaries were low in those days as well so that would be a major savings.[/quote]

… I hope he gets to keep his REM 742 and join the hunt this year … 15 years with the RCMP and 12 with the Edmonton Police Service so he would unfortunately be among the law abiding crime free group that Trudeau is in a big hurry to disarm

IC B2

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
In the 70’s that’s all you can buy was 180 grain Core Lokt. I’m picking up some bullets today, hopefully the shop will have what I’m looking for in stock.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by abbydog
In the 70’s that’s all you can buy was 180 grain Core Lokt. I’m picking up some bullets today, hopefully the shop will have what I’m looking for in stock.

... and they did the job ... "THE DEADLIEST MUSHROOM IN THE WOODS" ... seemingly all the dead bear, deer & moose never knew that Core-Lokt is not a "premium" bullet ... Sssshh ... don't tell anybody

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
if your buying ammo i would buy 180 gr. Nosler Partition loaded ammo , if your a reloader 180 gr. Nosler Partitions are still a great choice. good luck ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by pete53
if your buying ammo i would buy 180 gr. Nosler Partition loaded ammo , if your a reloader 180 gr. Nosler Partitions are still a great choice. good luck ,Pete53

... Nosler brand factory ammo ... good luck finding that north of the 49th ... I've seen a few boxes of Federal blue box (decent ammo with core n'cup bullets) in the Canadian Tire Stores up there ... plenty accurate for shooting an animal the size of a hwy billboard at 50 yds ... in heavy canuck brush you won't see them much farther than that unless you're hunting timberland clear cuts which can be a 1000 yds or more wide

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Before they were discontinued, used Hdy. 190gr BTSP. Now, a 208gr or 178gr ELD-M. Either bullet in either a .308Win or .30-'06. Doing some loads with 225gr ELD-M in the .308, still experimenting to see what it will group. If it works out, will probably use them exclusively.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by pricedo

... Nosler brand factory ammo ... good luck finding that north of the 49th ... I've seen a few boxes of Federal blue box (decent ammo with core n'cup bullets) in the Canadian Tire Stores up there ... plenty accurate for shooting an animal the size of a hwy billboard at 50 yds ... in heavy canuck brush you won't see them much farther than that unless you're hunting timberland clear cuts which can be a 1000 yds or more wide

i bet Lost River Ammo would build some ammo or some others would for a price ,just got to be smart enough to know how to find ammo or load ammo yourself.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A decent idea, though perhaps not for the confirmed handloader, is to buy some of the ammo listed on GB right now. 30-06 ammo featuring the Barnes TTSX or the Fed Trophy Bonded Tip are available in quantity for roughly $35 a box. A fellow could do much worse than to buy a bunch of these. A few hundred bucks would yield a lifetime’s worth of premium hunting ammo.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Canuck Shooter - try heating an SST in a low propane flame until the tip erupts. Let it cool and clean up the minimal residue with a pin. Devastating is an understatement.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by pricedo

i bet Lost River Ammo would build some ammo or some others would for a price ,just got to be smart enough to know how to find ammo or load ammo yourself.

... considering my first 3 moose were shot with a Winchester 94 levergun in 30-30 with 170 gr Core-Lokts (2 were 1-shot kills) just about anything off the shelf in 30-06 Sprng should do the job ... I'd go with the heaviest bullet which is usually 180 grain ... certainly wouldn't be paying double bubble for so called premium ammo ... you can't get deader than dead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am with you pricedo, I have killed big bull moose at long range with Winchester SuperX 180 Gr. for $28.00 a box at Canadian Tire.

Plus out of my .30-06 they are super accurate. I see no reason to upgrade to expensive "New Technology - Fancy Dance" cartridges. Dead is Dead.

450 Yards, cost of cartridge $1.47 a cartridge cool

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 06/26/23.

KB

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by KillerBee
I am with you pricedo, I have killed big bull moose at long range with Winchester SuperX 180 Gr. for $28.00 a box at Canadian Tire.

Plus out of my .30-06 they are super accurate. I see no reason to upgrade to expensive "New Technology - Fancy Dance" cartridges. Dead is Dead.

450 Yards, cost of cartridge $1.47 a cartridge cool

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

… but, but, but the premium ammo is guaranteed! … guaranteed to lighten your wallet that is 🤪

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While moose can be killed with plain vanilla shells some of us are more comfortable using Nosler Partitions. Based on years of experience with them I know exactly what to expect each and every time.

Jim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
While moose can be killed with plain vanilla shells some of us are more comfortable using Nosler Partitions. Based on years of experience with them I know exactly what to expect each and every time.

Jim

After years of experience with Winchester SuperX on both moose and deer, I can say the same thing, all but 1 moose dropped dead in its tracks.

I am also a Nosler Fan, I shoot Nosler Trophy Grade ABLRs 190 gr. out of my .300 Win Mag. Nosler are also excellent IMO. Very Pricy in comparison though.

Last edited by KillerBee; 06/27/23.

KB

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The cost of premium bullets is peanuts compared to the overall cost of the hunt. Nobody said that standard slugs won’t work; only that premiums offer an advantage for certain specific situations. Why not stack the deck in your favor? FWIW, my choice in moose bullets also takes grizzlies into consideration. I’ve seen a few up close and don’t trust them one bit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No Grizz in NFLD, just black bears. I kill them with arrows, don't even need a .30-06 hehe.

KB

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (204guy, 16penny, 1_deuce, 280Ackleyrized, 260Remguy, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,621
Posts18,474,017
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.