Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by KillerBee
No Grizz in NFLD, just black bears. I kill them with arrows, don't even need a .30-06 hehe.

A well placed arrow will do in any beast on the planet. Just be sure to use a premium broadhead. 🤭

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
No Grizz in NFLD, just black bears. I kill them with arrows, don't even need a .30-06 hehe.

... after turdo throws all the guns into blast furnaces and melts them you'll still be hunting ... you can make bows out of natural materials unless turdo plans on banning trees as well

Proud Life Member of the NRA & GOA
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If ever there was a time for the 220 grain Core Lokt, this ought to be it.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
... the woke gang will be going after hunting in earnest ... no hunting ... no legal need for guns ... within 10 years the rich & connected and the indigenous peoples will be the only ones legally permitted to hunt in Canada ... enjoy shooting & hunting while you can ... the last hunting generation in Canada

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I am surprised that no one mentioned the Hornady 180 and 200g, they act like partitions.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WMR

A well placed arrow will do in any beast on the planet. Just be sure to use a premium broadhead. 🤭

As Folklore has it re the word: Premium

Here is a Premium 10,000-year-old arrowhead that they were using to kill big game way back then.

The reason why it's a Premium Arrowhead is that when the Indian Chief asked the arrowhead maker to make him 6 and asked what he would charge for his arrowheads, he said "Your 18-year-old daughter to be his wife". Her name was Breasts Feeds Many and she was beautiful!

The Chief said why do your arrowheads cost so much, the arrowhead maker said "These are my Premium Arrowheads and they take a lot of time and skill to make!" The deal was struck, and the arrowhead maker increased his lineage by 8 more kids and he did live a very long and happy life with Breasts Feeds Many.

As folklore has it, this arrowhead maker was the first to use the word Premium and became famous for his Premium Arrowheads, and the number of wives he had, and all of the children he sired.

Sitting Bull was one of his direct descendants.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 06/28/23.

KB

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by keith
I am surprised that no one mentioned the Hornady 180 and 200g, they act like partitions.

... I like 180 grain Core-Lokts and Power Points because they act like 180 grain Core-Lokts and Power Points and kill moose dead on the first shot and leave enough money in my wallet so the wind won't blow it away

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
If ever there was a time for the 220 grain Core Lokt, this ought to be it.

I killed a cow moose a couple years ago with a 220 grain Hornady Interloc, Frontal shot at about 100 yards.

It was inpressive. Shook her to the core, she turned to walk away, a second through the ribs broadsie and she dropped straight down

S
S
I have used 130 grain accubonds in my .270 on Alberta Whitetails and mule deer for many years. 11 large body deer later I still have to recover a bullet.
All exits, mix of slightly diagonal and broadside positions.
Mv 3046 fps. What gives eh?

S
S
Yes, most likely.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I have used 150, 165, 180 , '06 bullets, vanilla and premium, on about half or the 21 or 22 moose I've killed. Not counting several road-hits I've finished with a .22Mag. (not mine - trooper finished that one with 12 ga)

It doesn't matter, used and placed appropriately. Personally, I prefer the 180, just cuz.

Calibers I've used, are .243, 30-30, 308 Norma mag, .338WM, 270, 30-06, and 12 ga with slugs. Used and placed appropriately, that too just doesn't matter all that much. Dead is dead.

I'll second pricedo above.

JJHack, who used to post here, and has far more experience with deading animals than I, stated that he thought the 165 is just about ideal in the 06, Won't/Can't argue with that - but I still like the 180. smile

Aaguard, shooting into wet newspapers I think, concluded the 180 had better penetration than the heavier bullets. Not sure how important that is (personally, I like blowing holes to daylight), and I also think that he did not test premiums at the time, only vanilla.

Don't overthink it - accuracy/placement with your rifle is more important than flavors or serving amounts, within reason.

Last edited by las; 07/18/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by las
JJHack, who used to post here, and has far more experience with deading animals than I, stated that he thought the 165 is just about ideal in the 06, Won't/Can't argue with that - but I still like the 180. smile

When I started Big Game Hunting with a .30-06 I was told that 165 gr. are the best rounds for a .30-06.

Like you, I went straight for the 180 gr, more oomph for the same money lol

My .30-06 loves them 180 gr., shoots them like a laser beam and whatever they hit is DOA.

KB

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’m a big fan of 180 Partitions in my .30-06. They’ve worked great for me on moose and all sorts of other game in North America, as well as 7 animals (including Eland) on my recent trip to Africa.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I shot 165's for a lot of years in 308 But never used a 30-06 until maybe five yeares ago. Only bullet I use in it is 180gr Hornady spire point. Always figured the 165 was perfect ib the 308 and 180 perfect in the 30-06. Three dead elk with three shots, not to bad!

Last edited by DonFischer; 07/18/23.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I’ve never drawn a moose tag, but I have taken several elk with my .30-06.

The 165 grain Nosler Accubond has been incredibly effective. It is my favorite “all-around” bullet in the .30-06.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pricedo
Originally Posted by abbydog
In the 70’s that’s all you can buy was 180 grain Core Lokt. I’m picking up some bullets today, hopefully the shop will have what I’m looking for in stock.

... and they did the job ... "THE DEADLIEST MUSHROOM IN THE WOODS" ... seemingly all the dead bear, deer & moose never knew that Core-Lokt is not a "premium" bullet ... Sssshh ... don't tell anybody
Critters die, but then you have to pick through the remains to decide what to keep to eat...

I have seen thousands of pounds ruined by Core-Lokt (will NEVER shoot them again) and Noslers... Not bad until you look at meat ruined...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Hint... Partitions kill very well... but ruin a LOT of meat in the process.

Your call...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Your call...

I rarely lost any meat with Winchester SuperX Power Points, but I never shoulder shoot which seems to be an American preference.

80+% of my shots are at the lungs or the heart, the balance neck, or head.

Last edited by KillerBee; 07/19/23.

KB

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Your call...

I rarely lost any meat with Winchester SuperX Power Points, but I never shoulder shoot which seems to be an American preference.

80+% of my shots are at the lungs or the heart, the balance neck, or head.

Same.

And most of that "blood shot" is usually trim able. The blood is mostly in the membranes and creases between the meat masses.

Shooting them through the meatier pieces, or much bone mass, tho, will blood shoot into the muscle for a fair distance around the hole.

Hint: you do not want to glove-fumble-fuq shoot a caribou through both hinds with an SST 150 Super-performance at 200 yards...... Everything forward was good tho.... Just take my word for it. frown

On the other hand, my wife shot a 3 year old bull moose with .243 100 gr., either NP, or Corelokt at 70-80 yds.. Probably NP.

Penciled thru, missed ribs both sides, lungs were just jellied with blood. He walked 30-40 feet, behind a screen of brush, stood there for a minute or so and tipped over. Meat loss was 4-6 ounces, basically 2 inches up and down from the hole between the two ribs on both sides. Almost identical to a caribou I shot at 413 yards with the 150SP several years ago.

I had minimal loss with a shotgun slug at @ 35 yards, through the big artery just under the spine. No bone hit, just a 12 ga hole perfectly centered through the artery. It was a quick running wing shot with just a front bead, and I took him high.... but I'll take it.

Lost about a 3 inch diameter circle of meat around the hole - half .lb maybe.

I'll take a couple pounds of meat loss per moose or caribou, if necessary. No quibbling. The % works for me.

Last edited by las; 07/19/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Looks like this week I’ll sight in the 06 with a variety of ammo recommended. The humidity finally broke this morning after a week or two of blah weather as experienced my many of you throughout the country.
We won’t have to bat the mosquitoes away!!

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1badf350, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,590
Posts18,473,439
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.