Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The trigger spring is so simple my dog, if I had one, could do it. I’ve used Ruger springs in Mausers and vice-versa. Get your calipers out, measure the diameter, length, and wire diameter. Buy ones with the same dimensions for the first two, but lighter in the third, and you’ll have a lighter pull.

The mag box trim is also easy-peasy. Open the floorplate, and if the box isn’t free in it’s recess, take a bit off the bottom with a file, then touch up the bare metal with cold blue. It only needs to be just clear of the bottom metal and the sides. I’ve not had one binding on the sides, only the bottom. My Hawkeye Predator .308 started shooting rounder groups once I filed the box and floated the barrel.

I did the internet fix on a 77/22 trigger, but only the spring was changed on a couple of Hawkeyes. If you’re the nervous type, content yourself with the changing the spring.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

C
ChanceD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

Already bought this one! Thanks for all the great responses.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The LC6 on the Hawkeye is different than the old MK2 trigger. It generally only needs a lighter spring. I've clipped them like Heath suggested, but a lighter spring is the easy button and only costs about 40 cents at Ace. I'd lightly polish the sear, so it's smoother though. No honing or filing, like you would on a MK2 trigger.

Here's what I'd do to the OP's rifle:

1. Glass bed. Leave the speed bump. Ruger designed the angled recoil lug and speed bump to work together.
2. Lighter trigger spring.
3. Check mag box for binding. If it is, fix it.
4. Polish the bolt and race ways. Make it run smooth like a model 70.
5. Work up a good load for it and hunt it.

These are things I would like to do but am a little afraid of dicking something up in the process.

There's real beauty in these rifles, but they do need some attention. Some are worse than others, but all of them need a good glass bedding job. Polishing out the raceways helps tremendously on how the action feels when you run the bolt. I always refer to them as being rough as a corn cob when new. Again, some are worse than others. I used to love buying the M77 MKII rifles, but knew I'd be working on them for a day to get them how I like them. The Ruger Hawkeye is better in some regards, and I've had many that shot lights out. Great robust rifles, that sure do work. Good luck to the OP, I'm sure he will like the rifle he bought. The stainless/walnut models are a great looking combo.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Some good suggestions so far.

I would add that there are, or were, some good directions online for performing trigger work on the 77. If you screw it up or it is still not to your liking, then you can still buy an aftermarket trigger but you might save some money doing the trigger job yourself.

The LC6 on the Hawkeye is different than the old MK2 trigger. It generally only needs a lighter spring.

Good point, bsa! My brain is still stuck on the older MKII. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 219DW, 204guy, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,865
Posts18,517,931
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.