Print Thread
Hop To
I
Idbob Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Looking for an approximate value on this 3rd Model 1866 carbine in .44 rimfire. Any help would be appreciated. I have pictures in the image gallery.

Last edited by Idbob; 05/19/23.

SGT. USMC 72-75
DAV
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
One sold at local auction up the street from me for 3800 IIRC a few years back.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
I
Idbob Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Thanks

SGT. USMC 72-75
DAV
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Looks to be All original and very good working condition as far as pictures show. It's hard to evaluate $$$ from pics as we'd be stabbing in the Dark so to speak! I'm assuming it's a .44Caliber Henry Rim Fire and not .44 Cal. Center Fire Conversion. The .44 Flat cartridge was a Black powder cartridge with less pressures compared to the smokeless powder which sustained higher pressures. Easily identified by close up illuminated Chamber pics. with out glare. The Brass Yellow Mustard Patina color looks original and not doctored.(VERY IMPORTANT in evaluation) 3rd Model average condition Saddle ring carbine's are desirable as the earlier Saddle ring Carbines. 20 inch barrel were standard for a carbine. Good bluing finish appears to remain according to pics. Not sure what the Dark marks are on the side of the brass receiver are but don't clean it or try to improve on looks in any way! The Brass receiver actually contains a percentage of bronze as to harden the metal. Many worn marks of use and scratches throughout are also pretty common with these older Antique vintage firearms. The so called Rare ones that are in HIGH CONDITION are the ones you see more often bringing higher $$$ at Auction. These average Condition Model 1866's are more common at Auction when presented. The pitting at the barrel very probably caused by the Corrosive black powder and possibly some poor storage corrosion. Looks to be a very nice Honest Carbine and not buggered up. A fine representation of an Era gone by. Oliver Winchester's First Rifle bearing the Winchester Brand. With approximately 170,101 total production mfg. 1866-1898 it's always nice to see good old original Guns. If newer knock off originals are going for approx. $1000-$3000 U.S. Dollars, an Original carbine capable of still firing in good working condition will command more than that Naturally as a true collector piece added to a Winchester collection. If placed in the right Auction and your lucky enough to get more than one bidder going against each other it could go up considerably. After the Auction House juice of app. 20% and S/H charges including Ins. you'll still wind up with a nice profit as you said it was inherited and no up front costs were accrued.

HS 58

Last edited by HunterShooter58; 05/20/23.

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Don’t even wipe it down, leave it just as it is

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Don’t even wipe it down, leave it just as it is

Absolutely!!! I agree!

HS 58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
I
Idbob Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Thanks, I appreciate the info.

SGT. USMC 72-75
DAV
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
bob, you can go over to the WACA site and on their Forum a member can post you pics as a visitor and you'll get some more information and maybe even some $$$ appraisals.
I did forget to add that the bore in the barrel is probably pitted due to the corrosive Black Powder which was pretty common back in the day. That never stopped me from buying a true collectable Antique. Some are picky about that though!

HS 58

Last edited by HunterShooter58; 05/20/23.

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,714
Posts18,475,547
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.