Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
My Dad, though still alive, is past the age of shooting a firearm. Dad had a stroke a few years back and it altered his mental capacity where he is no longer able to shoot the rifles he collected. Dad is also 83 and can't do a lot physically. He has an additional heart condition and so any exertion really taxes him, so even if he could mentally handle shooting, I don't think he could do it physically any more. I just finished moving my parents into a new senior apartment this past weekend from their house that my Dad built about 60 years ago. As such, we had to clear out their house, which was a truly monumental task. My Mom also wanted me to help distribute the guns among their four children, me included. So...all of us kids received some of Dad's firearms. A few that I received were a M69 .22 that had previously belonged to my Grandfather. I don't know much about the M69 or when my Grandpa bought it, but the rifle is in really good shape with a peep sight installed. The second Winchester was a pre-64 M88 in 308. This was the first high powered rifle my Dad ever purchased and he shot many a deer with it and a few elk also. He really loved that rifle. It came with the original scope he put on, a Weaver (I believe) with a post & crosshair reticle. I shot the M88 when I was first old enough to handle a rifle, but that was all. I never hunted with it. The third Winchester firearm I received was a Model 12 shotgun in 12 ga. It is just a plain jane model, I don't know much about them, but nothing fancy. Most likely built in the 40s or early 50s. The interesting thing about this shotgun is that it originally belonged to my Mom's Dad, my Grandpa on my Mom's side. He gave the shotgun to my Dad before he passed away back in 1967. I remember my Dad shooting grouse with that gun back when I was a kid. The ventilated recoil pad is now deformed and degrading from standing on its butt for so many years in the safe, but it is still in excellent shape. I've written before here how my Dad gave me his pre-64 M70 in .264 WM back before his stroke and I actually got to take a pronghorn with that rifle when my Dad was with me on that hunt. So, now I am the proud owner of four older Winchesters that have been in my family for over half a century. Guess I just wanted to brag. I would much rather have my Dad returned back to his functioning self over receiving these guns, but I know he'd be proud that I will continue to use them as they were meant to be used. And, I'll think of him every time I put them to use.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That’s pretty darned neat. Glad you’re honoring your dad with continuing to use some of what sounds like is his prized rifles and shotguns.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That’s all we can do. I have a couple of my grandpas firearms and some of my dads as well. Cherish and use them for as long as you can! You will make more memories and then when it’s time you can pass them down to your kids and grandkids.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
This pulls at my heart strings a bit. Had a love of firearms from a young age, and can remember thinking, wish grandpa was a collector and I got one or two, lol. Before my dad passed, he asked what I wanted, and I gave him my list. He actually said, "I'm surprised with what you picked". I already had a few "family guns", and they've all been passed to my kids. Unfortunately, due to family dynamics, I've never seen any that were earmarked for me, with the exception of his highly prized browning sweet sixteen. You felt lucky if you even got to hold that shotgun he loved it so much. I promptly gave that shotgun to my youngest daughter with the caveat that I got to hunt it once! Guess all I can say is brag it up, use them, cherish them, and pass them on, the memories are worth more than the guns!

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks, PSH! Yes, these rifles and shotguns that once belonged to my family mean more to me than the ones I purchased for myself.

I still remember when my Dad gave me his pre-64 M70 .264 WM. I knew he loved that gun more than any he owned. He held onto it for years after he quit hunting and shooting. One day, he asked me to follow him into the basement where he had his gun safe. He pulled the M70 from his safe and handed it to me and said that he wanted to give me it. I suppose I had a dumbfounded look on my face and then I asked if he was serious. He said, yes, he was serious and that I better take it and get out of the house with it before he changed his mind. I took it and left his house, thanking him repeatedly. I told him that I would use it to hunt with and proceeded to do so. I shot an Antelope buck with it on a hunt where he was with me and then I took a Muley buck the next year. He appreciated that I was using it, just as he had used it. He also gave my his 83 CJ5 that we always hunted in right before he had his stroke. Told me he knew I would use it to continue hunting in it and he didn't want to just sell it to someone for a few bucks. Both of those things made me feel like a million bucks. Those are times I will never forget and I think of all the good times we had together whenever I use things that he owned previously.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I opened this thread with trepidation thinking it might be another "I inherited some family heirlooms, how much can I sell them for". Good on you for keeping and using them as intended and seeing their value as more than money.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I love this thread, sorry I Missed it before

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 75 invisible), 3,146 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,354
Posts18,487,934
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.