Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
When it comes to potent chambers the 300 Wby with 180 gr loading is all that. It’s design intent was always to house a 26” barrel and a heavy piece of Claro walnut. All dressed up with scope and rings at about 9 lbs having about 38 ft-lbs of recoil with a potent charge weight of IMR 7828. Drop the same to a 7.25 lbs rifle and you’re being hit by a whopping 47 ft-lbs of recoil energy. At that weight your ability to shoot well is in a mode of diminishing returns. It depends on the person and the dedication to handle the recoil. For comparison a typical 375 H&H with 300 gr full house load puts out around 45 ft-lbs in a 9 lbs rifle weight. Just a thought.

HR IC

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Rossimp
When it comes to potent chambers the 300 Wby with 180 gr loading is all that. It’s design intent was always to house a 26” barrel and a heavy piece of Claro walnut. All dressed up with scope and rings at about 9 lbs having about 38 ft-lbs of recoil with a potent charge weight of IMR 7828. Drop the same to a 7.25 lbs rifle and you’re being hit a whopping 47 ft-lbs of recoil energy. At that weight your ability to shoot well is in a mode of diminishing returns. It depends on the person and the dedication to handle the recoil. For comparison a typical 375 H&H with 300 gr full house load puts out around 45 ft-lbs in a 9 lbs rifle weight. Just a thought.

It would most certainly have to be braked for most shooters at that weight. I had a fluted MK V that probably came in at 8.5 lbs or so with a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40. It took a while to get used to it with no brake.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sounds unpleasant to me. I have a fairly light .300 Win Mag and it is definitely less fun to shoot than my .338 Win Mag or my .375 H&H which are both heavier. A .300 Weatherby would have even more recoil in a light rifle. But maybe you're very tolerant of recoil.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
FWIW I use a Mark V Ultralight in .300 Weatherby for moose and Dall sheep in Alaska in 2009…….worked great and packed it for 14 days during the hunt. Used 180 grain Nosler Accubond at roughly 3180 fps. Weighed right around 8 lbs all up. Not sure how I killed those animals, considering little stick’s assessment🤣

PennDog

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the answers so far guys. Recoil is not an issue. Ive owned or shot just about every caliber there is in just about every platform out there. All my hunting rifles are light. I dont enjoy lugging around more weight just to save a little in the recoil department. Knees arent the greatest, but the shoulder and ability to shoot is more than fine. Thanks again

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 300 Bee rocks! Here is my load.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I just worked up a load in a buddy's lightweight 300 Bee.

It is the new Wyoming cowpoke elevation 7220. The name is derived from the University of Wyoming football stadium altitude of 7220 feet.

https://weatherby.com/store/mark-v-cowpoke/

Anyway with a maven 2-10 scope we managed to keep it just over 7 lbs. Gun shoot lights out and with the accubreak it feels like a 270 Winchester.

His load I worked up is 180 TTSX with IMR 4350. Just under 3200 fps and .55" at 100 yards. Gotta love them criterion barrels they use.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Hey guys. Looking for a light weight rifle in 300 wby. Been searching for a while, but really havent seen many options. Im sure im missing some rifles. Anyone know of anyone making one that isnt 3k+?

How light?
Would like the rifle to be less than 7lbs. Currently have a weatherby but with a zeiss z4 its over 8.5lbs. No need for that much weight.

Look for a Model 70 in 300 weatherby sported, SS or push feed . They are out there from time to time

Thanks gunchamp. I have an extra 300wby that is very nice. I decided to keep my pre 64 300WBY, but the XTR may go on the chopping block. It weighs 7 pounds bare though, so may not be what you are looking for. My pre 64 weighs the same. For me, that is about perfect for that cartridge, housed in a rifle with a good stock. However, I was out shooting a 7 pound all up 300WSM the other day and it was not that bad.. Good luck with your search.. Oh and the 300WBY is a damn fine cartridge, as a lot of guys already know.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ladies,

Your Dumbfhuqktitude,never ceases to fhuqking AMAZE...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint.

It'll only come as a "surprise!" to you gals,that noise and recoil,are NOT lineal barometers of performance. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

The .308" 180 AB wears a Goat Fhuqk .507 BC and even funnier yet,the TTSX of like weight a .484 BC. Starting velocity,ain't impact velocity and yet another fact that will only "surprise!" you gals. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

It is EASY to slap that level of "performance" around in a Short Action,if only for starters. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
When it comes to potent chambers the 300 Wby with 180 gr loading is all that. It’s design intent was always to house a 26” barrel and a heavy piece of Claro walnut. All dressed up with scope and rings at about 9 lbs having about 38 ft-lbs of recoil with a potent charge weight of IMR 7828. Drop the same to a 7.25 lbs rifle and you’re being hit a whopping 47 ft-lbs of recoil energy. At that weight your ability to shoot well is in a mode of diminishing returns. It depends on the person and the dedication to handle the recoil. For comparison a typical 375 H&H with 300 gr full house load puts out around 45 ft-lbs in a 9 lbs rifle weight. Just a thought.

It would most certainly have to be braked for most shooters at that weight. I had a fluted MK V that probably came in at 8.5 lbs or so with a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40. It took a while to get used to it with no brake.

My pre 64 is 8 pounds all up and does not have a brake on it.

Good stock design and good recoil pad helps. YMMV. I can't stand brakes on rifles, but to each their own.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bowmanh
Sounds unpleasant to me. I have a fairly light .300 Win Mag and it is definitely less fun to shoot than my .338 Win Mag or my .375 H&H which are both heavier. A .300 Weatherby would have even more recoil in a light rifle. But maybe you're very tolerant of recoil.

We were having a nice discussion until that short necked bastid showed up. ^^^^

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love mine!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Good stock design and good recoil pad helps. YMMV. I can't stand brakes on rifles, but to each their own.

And I said Most shooters

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Hey guys. Looking for a light weight rifle in 300 wby. Been searching for a while, but really havent seen many options. Im sure im missing some rifles. Anyone know of anyone making one that isnt 3k+?

How light?
Would like the rifle to be less than 7lbs. Currently have a weatherby but with a zeiss z4 its over 8.5lbs. No need for that much weight.

Look for a Model 70 in 300 weatherby sported, SS or push feed . They are out there from time to time

Thanks gunchamp. I have an extra 300wby that is very nice. I decided to keep my pre 64 300WBY, but the XTR may go on the chopping block. It weighs 7 pounds bare though, so may not be what you are looking for. My pre 64 weighs the same. For me, that is about perfect for that cartridge, housed in a rifle with a good stock. However, I was out shooting a 7 pound all up 300WSM the other day and it was not that bad.. Good luck with your search.. Oh and the 300WBY is a damn fine cartridge, as a lot of guys already know.
Thanks for the info and heads up. What stock is on your XTR?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fotis
The 300 Bee rocks! Here is my load.

I just worked up a load in a buddy's lightweight 300 Bee.

It is the new Wyoming cowpoke elevation 7220. The name is derived from the University of Wyoming football stadium altitude of 7220 feet.

https://weatherby.com/store/mark-v-cowpoke/

Anyway with a maven 2-10 scope we managed to keep it just over 7 lbs. Gun shoot lights out and with the accubreak it feels like a 270 Winchester.

His load I worked up is 180 TTSX with IMR 4350. Just under 3200 fps and .55" at 100 yards. Gotta love them criterion barrels they use.
Great performance and have to admit, I'm not very familiar with that round. What case is it based off?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

And I said Most shooters

You are right. You also said 7 1/4 pound. You are also right about that. That is damn light for a 300wby. Fotis is showing some damn good groups with his 7 pound rifle, but it has a brake and is he shooting it in that weird looking contraption?? Come on guys, these rifles are more than likely going to be shot off a pack when hunting, or if lucky enough a close shot where you'll be shooting offhand. I understand the want for a high powered rifle for a long shot, if one has to do that. The 300WBY magnum is a prime candidate, if you can handle it. The OP said he shoots well, so that should not be an issue. The 7 pound all up 300WSM, I mentioned earlier, is one I was putting together for my buddy that is about 10 years younger than I am. I remember the days when I was crazed with the 300 magnums. Anymore they just give me a headache!!! I hope the OP finds what he's looking for.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
gunchump,

Bullets matter wayyyyyyyyy more than headstamps,if only to the chagrin of the 300 Wby. You'd do well to slow your roll and simply connect mechanical dots,by literal default. Hint.

You've been led to water.

Thank me later.

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

And I said Most shooters

You are right. You also said 7 1/4 pound. You are also right about that. That is damn light for a 300wby. Fotis is showing some damn good groups with his 7 pound rifle, but it has a brake and is he shooting it in that weird looking contraption?? Come on guys, these rifles are more than likely going to be shot off a pack when hunting, or if lucky enough a close shot where you'll be shooting offhand. I understand the want for a high powered rifle for a long shot, if one has to do that. The 300WBY magnum is a prime candidate, if you can handle it. The OP said he shoots well, so that should not be an issue. The 7 pound all up 300WSM, I mentioned earlier, is one I was putting together for my buddy that is about 10 years younger than I am. I remember the days when I was crazed with the 300 magnums. Anymore they just give me a headache!!! I hope the OP finds what he's looking for.

I am going to lose sleep over the fact Big Stick hates the round.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

How light?

Thanks for the info and heads up. What stock is on your XTR?

Pacific Research:

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Heck, that's a selling point!!

My 45/70 shoots bullets with a dang near negative BC, according to bacon neck's ramblings, it must take amazing prowess to kill anything with that kinda handicap.....

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by goalie

Heck, that's a selling point!!

My 45/70 shoots bullets with a dang near negative BC, according to bacon neck's ramblings, it must take amazing prowess to kill anything with that kinda handicap.....

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

Ask yourself why someone that lives in a jungle in Alaska needs a high BC bullet if not to just bullshit everyone. Not to mention the useless reticles his poorly maintained equipment sport. Clownshow

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,840
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.