Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Rossimp
When it comes to potent chambers the 300 Wby with 180 gr loading is all that. It’s design intent was always to house a 26” barrel and a heavy piece of Claro walnut. All dressed up with scope and rings at about 9 lbs having about 38 ft-lbs of recoil with a potent charge weight of IMR 7828. Drop the same to a 7.25 lbs rifle and you’re being hit a whopping 47 ft-lbs of recoil energy. At that weight your ability to shoot well is in a mode of diminishing returns. It depends on the person and the dedication to handle the recoil. For comparison a typical 375 H&H with 300 gr full house load puts out around 45 ft-lbs in a 9 lbs rifle weight. Just a thought.

It would most certainly have to be braked for most shooters at that weight. I had a fluted MK V that probably came in at 8.5 lbs or so with a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40. It took a while to get used to it with no brake.

My pre 64 is 8 pounds all up and does not have a brake on it.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Good stock design and good recoil pad helps. YMMV. I can't stand brakes on rifles, but to each their own.

And I said Most shooters

You are right. You also said 7 1/4 pound. You are also right about that. That is damn light for a 300wby. Fotis is showing some damn good groups with his 7 pound rifle, but it has a brake and is he shooting it in that weird looking contraption?? Come on guys, these rifles are more than likely going to be shot off a pack when hunting, or if lucky enough a close shot where you'll be shooting offhand. I understand the want for a high powered rifle for a long shot, if one has to do that. The 300WBY magnum is a prime candidate, if you can handle it. The OP said he shoots well, so that should not be an issue. The 7 pound all up 300WSM, I mentioned earlier, is one I was putting together for my buddy that is about 10 years younger than I am. I remember the days when I was crazed with the 300 magnums. Anymore they just give me a headache!!! I hope the OP finds what he's looking for.

I am going to lose sleep over the fact Big Stick hates the round.

He can't shoot/control anything with more than 65 gr h20 capacity and larger than .284" diameter bullets
It's a personal handicap that he uses to apply to everyone else

The old Fudd line of stank "If I can't .. then no should"

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
HR IC

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Some just can't waddle their lazy asses anywhere remotely close to animals, so fairyland high bc numbers is their crutch

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
300 Bee is 300 Weather-bee! LOL

Read my signature.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You gals should have a Crying Kchunt Showdown,to make formal declaration upon who thinks about me the most often and greatest duration(s)...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

It is Fascinatingly HILARIOUS,how very fhuqking few actually shoot,or have a FIRST fhuqking clue. Hint.

Whine away ladies,espite it being your ONLY "move". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I hunt with a 300 Weatherby. I just shoot and watch the animals drop dead. Drive the truck to them and load them up. No following wounded into the briars and thickets and having to drag them out. I load my own and can afford to buy the powder. Mine is a Vanguard so it isn't light. I don't notice the recoil shooting at game.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hogchild,

Cite the projectile and velocity of same,which swoons you most. Pics will help and COAL will "slip by" for now. Hint.

Such things are easily correlated and typically on a NON Lineal Scale,as noise,recoil and performance go. The connection of those dots,is unsettling to most and never not funnier than fhuqk. Hint.

Just sayin'.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Who gives AF when you have a dead animal on the ground.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tuna,

I'll feign my GREAT "surprise!",that the only thing you can "do" is ask questions...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The fhuqks you give,exceed your capacity to formulate same. Rest ASSURED,that not all wares are "equal",nor even close. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". HINT.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Sweetheart if I had genuine questions, I'd ask those who actually hunt instead of just troll the shoreline.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tuna,

I was Trolling 2.1 knots here,quartering into wind,with a slightly following Sea. 930 fathoms of wire out,the head rope and foot rope playing nicely,but steel doors,good rolling gear,tickler chains and extry floats arrange same. Pretty good tow...though I'd rather be Mid-watering,because playing Singer Sewing Machine,ain't as fun as it looks. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". HINT.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Originally Posted by Fotis
The 300 Bee rocks! Here is my load.

I just worked up a load in a buddy's lightweight 300 Bee.

It is the new Wyoming cowpoke elevation 7220. The name is derived from the University of Wyoming football stadium altitude of 7220 feet.

https://weatherby.com/store/mark-v-cowpoke/

Anyway with a maven 2-10 scope we managed to keep it just over 7 lbs. Gun shoot lights out and with the accubreak it feels like a 270 Winchester.

His load I worked up is 180 TTSX with IMR 4350. Just under 3200 fps and .55" at 100 yards. Gotta love them criterion barrels they use.
Great performance and have to admit, I'm not very familiar with that round. What case is it based off?
I think that is coolspeak for Weatherby....

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hey guys. Looking for a light weight rifle in 300 wby. Been searching for a while, but really havent seen many options. Im sure im missing some rifles. Anyone know of anyone making one that isnt 3k+?

How light?
Would like the rifle to be less than 7lbs. Currently have a weatherby but with a zeiss z4 its over 8.5lbs. No need for that much weight.

Look for a Model 70 in 300 weatherby sported, SS or push feed . They are out there from time to time

Thanks gunchamp. I have an extra 300wby that is very nice. I decided to keep my pre 64 300WBY, but the XTR may go on the chopping block. It weighs 7 pounds bare though, so may not be what you are looking for. My pre 64 weighs the same. For me, that is about perfect for that cartridge, housed in a rifle with a good stock. However, I was out shooting a 7 pound all up 300WSM the other day and it was not that bad.. Good luck with your search.. Oh and the 300WBY is a damn fine cartridge, as a lot of guys already know.
Thanks for the info and heads up. What stock is on your XTR?

Pacific Research:
Awesome shooting!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fotis
300 Bee is 300 Weather-bee! LOL

Read my signature.
Haha damn, my bad.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
gunchump,

Bullets matter wayyyyyyyyy more than headstamps,if only to the chagrin of the 300 Wby. You'd do well to slow your roll and simply connect mechanical dots,by literal default. Hint.

You've been led to water.

Thank me later.

Hint.................
I know they do. Ive been hunting for 34 years and ive killed many animals with many calibers. I just enjoy all different kinds of rounds and have currently decided i want to play/hunt with the 300wby. Not because i believe it has some magical killing power

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
gunchamp, if you like rifles, I think you will love the .300 Wea. My pal has one made in Grices in the early 80s. Beautiful rifle. He uses it for Pa. deer. No chasing wounded ones. But he is a pretty good shot. The only thing I will say the recoil is not bad, but I guess you would call it the whip from that light rifle is something else. Mine is made along the lines of the old timers in Pa. 26" number 5 barrel on a 700 action. This one is a real tack driver. However, I do prefer my old .300 Win. built along the same lines. I intended to go with the Weatherby, but since the magazine was only long enough for ammo loaded to factory specs, I went with the Win. I can seat the bullet out in the long Rem. action to touch the rifling, or just short of it. Also as the barrel wears I can keep moving the seating out farther. Enjoy what ever you select. I can't see trying kill game with the smallest possible caliber. That is stunt shooting.

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
gunchump,

Bullets matter wayyyyyyyyy more than headstamps,if only to the chagrin of the 300 Wby. You'd do well to slow your roll and simply connect mechanical dots,by literal default. Hint.

Thank me later.

Hint.................
I know they do. Ive been hunting for 34 years and ive killed many animals with many calibers. I just enjoy all different kinds of rounds and have currently decided i want to play/hunt with the 300wby. Not because i believe it has some magical killing power

gunchump,

NOBODY that actually shoots or Hunts,says schit THAT fhuqking Stupid. Hint...................

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
gunchump,

Thank me later.

Hint.................

gunchump,

NOBODY that actually shoots or Hunts,says schit THAT fhuqking Stupid. Hint...................

You do all the time , what is your excuse? SPLENDID you tube videos. Content is [bleep]-ing unreal.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
gunchump,

Thank me later.

Hint.................

gunchump,

I dont know what to tell you other than you can f uck off lol. Ive tried the nice game with you, but you obviously want to play captain dickhead. Ill shoot what i like. You do whatever the f uck your retarded ass wants. Simple. Hint

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
gunchamp, if you like rifles, I think you will love the .300 Wea. My pal has one made in Grices in the early 80s. Beautiful rifle. He uses it for Pa. deer. No chasing wounded ones. But he is a pretty good shot. The only thing I will say the recoil is not bad, but I guess you would call it the whip from that light rifle is something else. Mine is made along the lines of the old timers in Pa. 26" number 5 barrel on a 700 action. This one is a real tack driver. However, I do prefer my old .300 Win. built along the same lines. I intended to go with the Weatherby, but since the magazine was only long enough for ammo loaded to factory specs, I went with the Win. I can seat the bullet out in the long Rem. action to touch the rifling, or just short of it. Also as the barrel wears I can keep moving the seating out farther. Enjoy what ever you select. I can't see trying kill game with the smallest possible caliber. That is stunt shooting.
Thank you for posting. Ive killed deer with 300 win mag and 300 wsm. Havent used the wby on game yet. Plan to this fall.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
gunchimp,

I get it,that you are a Retarded CLUELESS Day Dreaming Brokedick...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Your inability to cite particulars,are due the fact they do NO exist. HINT.

It is funnier than fhuqk,that you Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqks start with questions pinpointing your HILARIOUS Fhuqktardation and then you "magically" can answer same. Hint.

Bless your heart for TRYING.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (AnthonyB, bbassi, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, beefan, 6mmbrfan, 11 invisible), 1,287 guests, and 970 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,230
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.