Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Guys,

Anybody have a Marlin 308 MX with the scout scope mount ? I've looked at the mount and not sure it will fit the 308. It does say that it will fit the 336. I measured the front scope holes on my 336 35 Rem and the 308 for comparison. It seems the 308 has a bit longer spacing between the front scope mount holes on the receiver to the rear sight slot. Any input ?

Ken

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had no difficulty mounting a Burris 4X Short Mag scope on my 308MX using a Weaver base and Millett Angle Loc Rings. It is a good combination.

Here is a link to a picture. About midway down the page is a picture of my 308MX

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=37467&page=3

Last edited by william_iorg; 12/04/07.

Slim
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
William,

That Burris Short Mag does look like it is right at home atop the 308 MX. The only reason that I thought about the scout mount was because I have a Rem 11/87 with a 21" smooth bore with an Imp Cylinder choke tube. Now this has a welded ramp on the barrel with a cantilever rail that you screw onto it for rgular eye relief scopes. It also came with a set of Rem scope rings that fit the cantilever and the welded ramp on the barrel. I used the rings on the welded ramp with a Burris 2 3/4 scout scope. I really like the way it swings on the shotgun so I thought I might be happy with 1 on the 308 MX. I have the weaver base on the 308 already and was toying with the idea of the scout mount. You just might have me sold on that short mag. Thanks.

Ken

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have poor eyesight. The Burris reticle is pretty quick for me eyes to center. The thick portion of the reticle stand out very well in shadow and at dawn and dusk. The thin portion of the reticule are good for target shooting. I am able to split a bulseye or line them up along a ratangle pretty well.
I don�t remember what this Short Mag scope weighs but it seems very light. The only thing I did not like about the scope was the adjustment knobs seem very stiff to me. Of course on a hunting rifle I don�t make very many adjustments�
I have a .30-30 Model 94 Trapper that was a truck gun before I got it. This rifle has a rusty handprint on the receiver and the wood has been refinished. I started out using the rifle for hunting in the chained brush where the game is in motion when first seen. I have tried out a number of front sights and now have the original flat top post installed up front. I used the Marbles flat top folding open sight for awhile and then switched to a Lyman No. 2 Tang sight when these were reintroduced. I got a good buy on a Burris forward scope mount a few years ago and installed it on this rifle just to try out the forward scope mount idea. As I intended this sight to be a short term installation I purchased a BSA 2X pistol scope on sale from Midway for $24.00. I like this outfit so well I have never considered removing it. The 16� Trapper handles a bit better with the weight of the scope and mount up forward. When the rifle is shouldered the low mount scope is at the correct height for my eyes. With both eyes open I am able to swing the rifle and to track and shoot a moving target quite easily with the forward mount scope and thick reticule. At distances greater than 150-yards the cross hairs pretty well cover the vital zone on our smaller West Texas deer. When shooting at targets beyond 150-yards I use big targets in order to quarter or align the cross hairs on bullseyes or black rectangles.
I have read complaints the forward mount scope is difficult to use in early morning or late evening light and this is true, but no more difficult than a receiver, tang or open sight in the same light. I have also read a complaint or two about sunlight coming over the shooters shoulder and washing out the scope and I have encountered this problem on the range but never in the field. This may be because I am hunting in brush with lots of shadow when using this rifle.
I like the forward mount scope but I would not want the forward mount on my only hunting rifle.
I believe I am pretty well alone these days in the use of low power variable and low power fixed scopes. I find them lighter and useful of deer and pigs out to 200-yards which is the extreme limit of my hunting area � 70-yards is my average for deer shooting.
I rambled around a bit here and hope I didn�t get too far off topic.

Last edited by william_iorg; 12/05/07.

Slim
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
William,

Ramble all you want because this is what I want to hear. Someone else who has or had a certain problem which could be similar to me. My shots in my slug only area are roughly out to 60 yards and the scout mount version on my barrel does seem to work fairly well. I do agree that at dawn & dusk it is hard to find the reticle. As daylight comes up so does the better sight picture with the forward mounted scope.

I had a doe step in to the picture with good early light and it's a good thing for her that it was a day after either sex. I could only shoot antlered deer. She did look good in that Burris 2 3/4 scout scope. I lowered the shotgun and she just looked at me and walked off. I stayed for 1/2 hour just to see if a buck was on her trail. No luck. It was an easy 20 yard shot by the way. Lucky her.

That short mag scope have enough room for other type rings ? I'd like to use the low quad-loc rings if there is enough room and I can still get proper eye relief.

Ken

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

221 members (22kHornet, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 320090T, 257 roberts, 3dtestify, 21 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 966 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,093
Posts18,522,161
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.