-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Spent a week there with two friends. Accommodations were excellent, food was fantastic. Our guides were very very knowledgeable and helpful. Now for the important stuff, I caught close to 100 walleye a day averaging 20" with at least 100 between 25-28". Jigged for all of them, no trolling. Pike fishing was also fantastic, caught close to 100 with 7 being between 40 and 44". We chased one for an hour that was pushing 50", trolled a little but mainly casting spoons. Even caught a few grayling and whitefish. The shear volume of fish and the average size was like nothing I've ever seen in my life.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]postimage org browse

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
GB1

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good to hear, looks like great fun.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Cool pics! Glad you had a great trip.
That pike would have been awesome on a fly rod!
Thanks for sharing,
Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
mitchellmountain;
Good evening to you sir, I hope that the rest of the weekend went as well as your fishing trip.

Thanks for sharing the fishing trip photos with us, I'm glad you had decent weather and good fishing as well.

Being honest, I had to look up where exactly Cree River Lodge was and see that it's not super far from Stony Rapids.

Back in the summer of either '71 or '72 I spent a few weeks up in Black Lake which is just down the road from Stony Rapids. In those days they were both fly in only communities with a barge coming in once a year in summer to supply the bigger stuff, the rest coming in air or not at all.

We fished for Grayling on the Fond du Lac River just north of Black Lake and honestly I'm not sure we weren't the only people fishing it.

Thanks again for sharing the photos and story and for twigging the memories from long, long ago as well.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for taking the time to put up this report and great pictures. I have fished the area north of Cree several times and had great success. Really quality fishing.

Hugh
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BC30cal
mitchellmountain;
Good evening to you sir, I hope that the rest of the weekend went as well as your fishing trip.

Thanks for sharing the fishing trip photos with us, I'm glad you had decent weather and good fishing as well.

Being honest, I had to look up where exactly Cree River Lodge was and see that it's not super far from Stony Rapids.

Back in the summer of either '71 or '72 I spent a few weeks up in Black Lake which is just down the road from Stony Rapids. In those days they were both fly in only communities with a barge coming in once a year in summer to supply the bigger stuff, the rest coming in air or not at all.

We fished for Grayling on the Fond du Lac River just north of Black Lake and honestly I'm not sure we weren't the only people fishing it.

Thanks again for sharing the photos and story and for twigging the memories from long, long ago as well.

All the best.

Dwayne

I've honestly never been anywhere that remote. We flew from Saskatoon to Stoney rapids. Beautiful country for sure, seems like a whole lot of nothing goes on forever.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How come you weren't swarmed by a horde of Mosquito's, black flies and Bulldogs? lol

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
mitchellmountain;
Good morning once more, I hope the day looks promising so far and you're well.

For sure unless one has been in some parts of the world like northern Saskatchewan, it's tough to wrap one's head around how remote and unpopulated some places are.

When we were there that summer there was only road between Stony Rapids and Black Lake so what is that, maybe 15 miles or less?

There was an RCMP vehicle - Suburban maybe - and the nurses had a station wagon and then there were a couple other vehicles and that was it.

If I'm not wrong, the community was only started in 1952 so was only 20 years old when we were there, which makes sense as I recall the houses all looked new. There were maybe a few hundred people there in Black Lake then?

My eldest sister was one of the two or maybe there were three RN's there - no doctor - so they did everything until/if the doctor could fly in from Saskatoon or Prince Albert. Was all DC3's back then or smaller - NorCanAir was how we got there and back.

Oh, every family had at least 8 working sled dogs staked out in the back yard too. That's why the men would fish all summer and dry it for dog food.

In the winter, my BIL who taught up there would often have boys leave with their father for weeks at a time out on the trapline.

Imagine that now?

Likely it was a world that no longer exists anywhere truly and I'm aware I was blessed to witness and experience it personally before it was gone.

Again I'm glad you got to see it now as well, because indeed the north country is really something special.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Never used bug spray, lol. Towards dusk though the mosquitoes would make their presence felt.

Speaking of dusk, holy crap it never gets dark!!!

Last edited by mitchellmountain; 06/12/23.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (01Foreman400, 1minute, 007FJ, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,710
Posts18,513,974
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.