Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I've only used Sierra's Hp Gamekings in 7mm Mag and 7 x 57mm. I've killed a couple of cow elk with them in the 7mm Mag, they worked.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
160 grain HPBT Gameking in 7mm REM Mag for years. Very effective no complaints even when breaking significant amounts of bone. The 160 grain SPBT I found to be too “soft” for my likings.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I had loaded a couple of boxes for my son's .270 when he first started hunting with a mild load. Worked perfectly well on his first couple of deer.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have shot the 165 since it came on the market in both the 06 and several .300s. We have killed all manner of big game with it from antelope, right up thought moose and elk. I have also used the 85gr in various 243s and 6mms. Right now it is my favorite in my 6mm for antelope, deer, coyotes, what have you. I also used it in my old 7mm Weatherby. There it was mostly 160 and it worked on coyotes right on up. Currently, the 140 is my favorite for my .270. I have only used it on coyotes through mule deer. They work. I know folks worry about the bc, but they have killed several elk for me over 600 yards. For me that is long range, and I don't shoot that far anymore. Elk aren't that necessary to a balanced budget.

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I have shot the 165 since it came on the market in both the 06 and several .300s. We have killed all manner of big game with it from antelope, right up thought moose and elk. I have also used the 85gr in various 243s and 6mms. Right now it is my favorite in my 6mm for antelope, deer, coyotes, what have you. I also used it in my old 7mm Weatherby. There it was mostly 160 and it worked on coyotes right on up. Currently, the 140 is my favorite for my .270. I have only used it on coyotes through mule deer. They work. I know folks worry about the bc, but they have killed several elk for me over 600 yards. For me that is long range, and I don't shoot that far anymore. Elk aren't that necessary to a balanced budget.
What flavor is the 7mm Weatherby?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Killed some with the 165gr .308s. Big burping exit holes. No tracking required. Keep ‘em away from the steaks.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I shot some of the 85 HPBT in a heavy barrel 6mm. They shot accurately. I think I only killed one coyote with them before the rifle went down the trail. Killed it just fine but at 100 yards and 6mm speeds the damage was a little heavier then I like. I don't remember the exact placement but do remember sewing for a while smile I am in the process of building a 6x45. This bullet is on my short list for potential contenders as I think it would work great at those velocities on coyotes and deer.

Originally Posted by beretzs
The 225 from the 358 or Whelen is pure good stuff. It expands wide and man if they move from the impact the blood trails are horror movie like.

I will second the 225 on deer and bear. I keep mine a little over 2600 and from a fairly small sample size they look to be hammers. This one was full broadside and took one through the heart. Full penetration/exit at 175 yards and looked like someone spilled a gallon of red paint on the ground.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This next one was shot into a doe muley at about 75 yards. She was quartering to and the bullet impacted the nearside shoulder point and I found it under the hide of the offside hindquarter.

I used the 100 grain SPBT in a .257 AI and it killed everything but I found it a little soft. Sometimes big entrances and no exits or small exits. This little deer my son killed went straight down and did some significant damage.

Same rifle, same day, same bullet...this doe took one quartering away through the ribs. She ran about 75-100 and was stone dead but no exit and not much of a blood trail.

Hit one little antelope buck quartering to at just over 100 yards. Hit the shoulder point and he dropped. We were working on some others so I shifted my attention and when I refocused on him a while later he was still kicking. I don't remember the details from the necropsy but I am thinking the core did not make it to the vitals although there was enough damage from the fragments to get the job done. I do believe I lost a good portion of that front quarter if I remember correctly.

I do like the 100 grain SPBT in the .243 and have had good luck with them on coyotes and antelope. Probably a few deer as well. My daughter and I stalked into this one while he was bedded. At just under 300 yards we had to wait quite a while for him to wake up from his siesta. When he did he stretched forward and she put one right in the boiler room. He stayed on his feet and she had a second round in him before he could take another step. The second was totally unnecessary as both rounds did extensive lung damage and exited.

Originally Posted by GRF
160 grain HPBT Gameking in 7mm REM Mag for years. Very effective no complaints even when breaking significant amounts of bone. The 160 grain SPBT I found to be too “soft” for my likings.

I have a co-worker that has loaded that bullet in his 7mm Rem mag for years...just as his father has done forever. They are mostly elk hunters but use it on everything from antelope to deer to elk with little drama and their freezers stay full.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great bear Med and cool recovery. I feel lucky I have 4-5 boxes of them since they shoot so well in my Whelen's.

Semper Fi
E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by MedRiver
I shot some of the 85 HPBT in a heavy barrel 6mm. They shot accurately. I think I only killed one coyote with them before the rifle went down the trail. Killed it just fine but at 100 yards and 6mm speeds the damage was a little heavier then I like. I don't remember the exact placement but do remember sewing for a while smile I am in the process of building a 6x45. This bullet is on my short list for potential contenders as I think it would work great at those velocities on coyotes and deer.

Originally Posted by beretzs
The 225 from the 358 or Whelen is pure good stuff. It expands wide and man if they move from the impact the blood trails are horror movie like.

I will second the 225 on deer and bear. I keep mine a little over 2600 and from a fairly small sample size they look to be hammers. This one was full broadside and took one through the heart. Full penetration/exit at 175 yards and looked like someone spilled a gallon of red paint on the ground.

This next one was shot into a doe muley at about 75 yards. She was quartering to and the bullet impacted the nearside shoulder point and I found it under the hide of the offside hindquarter.

I used the 100 grain SPBT in a .257 AI and it killed everything but I found it a little soft. Sometimes big entrances and no exits or small exits. This little deer my son killed went straight down and did some significant damage.

Same rifle, same day, same bullet...this doe took one quartering away through the ribs. She ran about 75-100 and was stone dead but no exit and not much of a blood trail.

Hit one little antelope buck quartering to at just over 100 yards. Hit the shoulder point and he dropped. We were working on some others so I shifted my attention and when I refocused on him a while later he was still kicking. I don't remember the details from the necropsy but I am thinking the core did not make it to the vitals although there was enough damage from the fragments to get the job done. I do believe I lost a good portion of that front quarter if I remember correctly.

I do like the 100 grain SPBT in the .243 and have had good luck with them on coyotes and antelope. Probably a few deer as well. My daughter and I stalked into this one while he was bedded. At just under 300 yards we had to wait quite a while for him to wake up from his siesta. When he did he stretched forward and she put one right in the boiler room. He stayed on his feet and she had a second round in him before he could take another step. The second was totally unnecessary as both rounds did extensive lung damage and exited.

Originally Posted by GRF

I have a co-worker that has loaded that bullet in his 7mm Rem mag for years...just as his father has done forever. They are mostly elk hunters but use it on everything from antelope to deer to elk with little drama and their freezers stay full.
👍👍

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Never been a fan of any Sierra products.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
10 ga. It was a 700 bdl I had rebarreled to 7mm Wea. I loved that rifle, but gave it to a very good friend. He loves it for shooting long range whitetails.

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I used the 168s in both 7 and 308 successfully but i also had a couple of fail to perform.
On the other hand. I am a big fan of the tipped match kings. They seem to be very reliable and shoot great.
The 95 grain 6mm has killed a few deer and pigs for me from my 6x47L

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
We call them cookie cutters. We shoot them in 7mm and 6.5 for deer hunting. They do a great job and never have recovered one to check the weight retention.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I like the 85 grain 6mm in my slow twist 243. Doesn't always exit on deer but it has killed well for me.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I’ve shot a lot of the 85 grainers out of a 243 and 6x45 and never lost a deer and are accurate as hell. Knocks the crap out of Md sika deer.

E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
What’s the recovery like on the 243 versions as far as running after shot distance?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by earlybrd
What’s the recovery like on the 243 versions as far as running after shot distance?
Example of 1, but I shot an average sized whitetail doe at about 15 yards with an 85 gr HPBT Sierra Gameking over a max load of IMR4350. She was DRT to a shot right behind the shoulder, but the bullet pretty much came apart. I don't recall finding much more than fragments.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The last cow elk I shot with the 165 in my 308. I thought it did well.

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” Tolkien
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The last cow elk I shot with the 165 in my 308. I thought it did well.

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” Tolkien
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I like the 165 and have shot it at 308 and 30/06 velocities with good performance. GD

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 78 invisible), 3,576 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,635
Posts18,533,322
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.