Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Tips are optional, last time I checked.
Right! Last time I was in the Portland Air Port there was a guy selling coffee off a little table. Don't remember how much but needed an extra dime to pay him so grabbed a dime from the cup on the table. Guy blew a gasket. He said hey, that's my tip's!. Have seen tip cups in 7-11 type stores for the cashiers! Tips are so far out of hand it is rediculas! A brother took his son and wife on a photo safari to Africa. Lodging and meals ect ran hin $640 a day. Trip not counting Air fare over cost him $64K. he didn't mention what tips were! I see no reason to tip anyone that does nothing other than a really good job! Wonder if the airline piolet going over got a tip. Imagine having to tip the cops for being decent while writting yous stupid ticket!

Last edited by DonFischer; 06/19/23.
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Geeeez.

Yep, about $1000 for a plains game hunt…….

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I was the only one in camp on my last hunt. It was $6000 for a week including 5 animals. I asked the PH for advice on tipping he gave me some suggestions for him, for an apprentice PH, for his wife, for the land manager, for the Cook and wait stuff, for house keeping, for the janitor, for 4 trackers for 4 spinners, and for the gardener. I never saw his wife do a thing, I didn't want an apprentice PH, I would have been OK with 1 tracker and 1 skinner.

If I'd have followed his guidelines it would have meant thousands of dollars, iirc the tip would have been more than the hunt. Plus I finished my hunt in 4 days after feeling pressured to take a few animals that I'd have preferred to wait for bigger ones. I ended up just leaving $1500 with the PH to divide up.

Overall it was a good hunt with good people but the tip suggestions caught me off guard and put me off a bit. When I came back to get my guns after vacationing around the country for 3 weeks a few of the staff asked if I wasn't happy with the hunt because they didn't get tips. I told them I left it all with the PH to divide up so talk to him.

It's best to get sorted in your mind how your going to tip and how much depending on what service you get. Being prepared mentally will keep you from having that feeling that they're trying to fleece you.

Bb

You should have told them you left 3500.00 with PH to divide up!!!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
So you should leave an almost 60% tip on a $6k hunt?? Don’t think so.

NTO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Always a good conversation. To the original post I think that rate is crazy for plains game hunt.

My outlook on it by being on both side of tipping. First off a tip is earned which any good guide and outfit will do so therefore they get a tip.

I send a lot of clients to africa and tipping is often a question I get before they go. I say the rule of 10-15% is standard for the PH. Staff $500 that includes cook, house staff, skinners, trackers. Now with probably the 100 or more hunters I have sent. Typically for my base package which is 6 animals 10 days all inclusive $5500 and they usually add a few extra animals. They leave $800-1000 for PH and 6-700 for the staff. I think those number fair for all.

I think the problem with africa especially SA and Namibia is the cheap outfitters cheap hunts they try to makeup their low profits with getting people to pay bigger tips. Because typically someone buying a cheap hunt the chance they return is low so they don’t care if they offend you and try to strong arm you into leaving a big tip.

Now when you get into dangerous game and 14-21 days in camp that’s a whole other can of worms.

But I will tell you if I am booking a personal hunt and on there website there is a big write up about leaving tip or they talk about it in conversation while getting info I cross them off the list. A quality outfit with quality guides doesn’t need to tell you to tip.

Last edited by NTO; 06/20/23.

North Texas Outfitters
www.huntexoticgame.com

R2BA Auction Company LLC
www.r2baauctions.com
IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,348
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.