Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ngrumba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Can anybody recommend a good book about the history of the Rhodesian Bush War?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fire Force, the Selous Scouts start with those two. I have quite a few more, but I'm not at home

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Several good ones, my two favorites are:

Selous Scouts Top Secret War

A Handful of Hard Men (Rhodie SAS)

If you're looking for something more literary, MUKIWA, A White boy In Africa is great.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 for the Selous Scouts, you talk about some guys who were tough.....

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I had a good customer that used to stop by my shop frequently. He had a bad stutter but he was a very smart guy with a tremendous knowledge of various topics. After getting to know him I found out that he was a former Selous scout and saw a lot of crazy stuff in Rhodesia back then. I always wondered if he stuttered as bad before Rhodesia or if Rhodesia and his time in Africa made it worse. He saw and did things that I am sure lived forever in his head.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TimZ
+1 for the Selous Scouts, you talk about some guys who were tough.....

I stayed at one of their former officer's house near Chinoi for a couple of weeks in 2000. Rory Hensmen was one tough SOB. He eventually saw the writing on the wall and moved his family and trained elephants to SA. In SA the elephants were used to track down and run down poachers.

Now SA is falling apart under black tribal rule. Graft and corruption there is just like it is in our major US cities. The same culture and lack of any moral sense will destroy both.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I would also recommend one of the books written by Kevin Thomas, the PH I've hunted most with in Africa, Shadows in an African Twilight. The book isn't all about the Selous Scouts, but Kevin was one of the originals, and also went back and forth between PH'ing and military jobs through a stint as an "advisor" for the U.S. in the Middle East. (www.kevindthomas.com)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
As others have said, The Selous Scouts is very good.

One other book I really enjoyed and recommend is See You in November by Peter Stiff. It deals with the later stages of the war, Mugabe’s ascension to power and the British plot to assassinate Mugabe in a very creative way, but their plot being vetoed by the U.S. when Jimmy Carter objected to the Brits killing Mugabe. Just another in the long line of really bad decisions by Carter.

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
...A HANDFUL OF HARD MEN, Hannes Wessels. THE RHODESIAN WAR, fifty years on, Paul Moorcraft and Peter McLaughlin. PAMWE CHETE, Lt.Col. R.F.Reid-Daly. SELOUS SCOUTS, Lt.Col. Ron Reid-Daly (as told to Peter Stiff) THE ELITE, Rhodesian Special Air Service, Barbara Cole. BRITAIN'S REBEL AIR FORCE, Roy Nesbit & Dudley Cowderoy with Andrew Thomas. RHODESIANS NEVER DIE, Peter Godwin and Ian Hancock.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
The Great Betrayal by Ian Smith is also a great read.

The reason why Rhodesia became Zimbabwe is because the British Government and Queen Elizabeth thought they could deal with Mugabe easier than Ian. They wanted Rhodesia for themselves, so Harold Wilson sold Ian down the river at the cost of both the nation and thousands of White Rhodesians.

Asshats one and all.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a friend that was in the SAS and spent some time during that period in Rhodesia.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
The Great Betrayal by Ian Smith is also a great read.

The reason why Rhodesia became Zimbabwe is because the British Government and Queen Elizabeth thought they could deal with Mugabe easier than Ian. They wanted Rhodesia for themselves, so Harold Wilson sold Ian down the river at the cost of both the nation and thousands of White Rhodesians.

Asshats one and all.

Great read, as is Selous Scouts

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Ngrumba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks everyone for your recommendations

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I'd add two more.

The Rhodesian Civil War by John Frame which not only covers the Bush War but events going back to 1899 that led to it.

The second is Three Sips of Gin by Timothy Bax. He was a Canadian who became an officer in the Rhodesian Army and then was in the Selous Scouts.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
tag

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you have a Kindle? Or a Kindle app on your phone or tablet? I have read a dozen or more I purchased from Amazon.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
What they gonna name the U. S. when we give it all over to them?

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WAM
What they gonna name the U. S. when we give it all over to them?

North Venezuela

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 43 invisible), 2,329 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,228
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.