Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
As the title asks: I thought this was a pretty good deal on this stock. Anything that says otherwise? Thanks for your opinions:

Winchester model 70 short action stock

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm no expert on B&C stocks but seems to be a very good deal to me. A shop near me has a Winchester 70 SA in 223 with what appears to be the same stock. I don't need a heavy barrel 223 but at $500 I am very tempted.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The answers to the 'why' are there in the pics. Nothing that can't be addressed though. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by LEADMINER
I'm no expert on B&C stocks but seems to be a very good deal to me. A shop near me has a Winchester 70 SA in 223 with what appears to be the same stock. I don't need a heavy barrel 223 but at $500 I am very tempted.

I'd be tempted as well. I'm loving my heavy barrel 308w I bought at the beginning of this year. That rifle is a tack driver. A heavy barrel 223 would be a no brainer. This stock may go on one of my buddies short action 300 wizzums. We'll see.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bsa1917hunter;
Top of the morning to you, I hope whatever section of the planet this finds you that it finds you well.

If my less than perfect memory is right - and it might well not be - I've worked on 3 B&C stocked rifles in the shop over the years. They were all older so likely mid 90's as a guess?

They seemed quite stiff to me which is a good thing and I can't see the Varmint one with it's beefy fore end not being stiffer than the lighter ones I worked on.

In the photos it appears that someone has put in a rear pillar which again is a good idea in my mind with any foam core stock. If there's not a front pillar that'd be something I'd do if it was mine.

The B&C stocks I did got pillars front and rear put in, I know one was a Weatherby Vanguard so Howa, one was a 700 long action and so help me what the 3rd one was is gone now, sorry.

They were fairly thick in the wrist as I recall, rather like the older pre 64 Model 70 in that regard which is good for most folks with normal sized hands, but being a smaller fellow I don't mind a bit of a thinner wrist myself.

Off the top of my head that's my memory of the B&C stocks which isn't much admittedly but perhaps somewhat useful to someone out there.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BC30cal
bsa1917hunter;
Top of the morning to you, I hope whatever section of the planet this finds you that it finds you well.

If my less than perfect memory is right - and it might well not be - I've worked on 3 B&C stocked rifles in the shop over the years. They were all older so likely mid 90's as a guess?

They seemed quite stiff to me which is a good thing and I can't see the Varmint one with it's beefy fore end not being stiffer than the lighter ones I worked on.

In the photos it appears that someone has put in a rear pillar which again is a good idea in my mind with any foam core stock. If there's not a front pillar that'd be something I'd do if it was mine.

The B&C stocks I did got pillars front and rear put in, I know one was a Weatherby Vanguard so Howa, one was a 700 long action and so help me what the 3rd one was is gone now, sorry.

They were fairly thick in the wrist as I recall, rather like the older pre 64 Model 70 in that regard which is good for most folks with normal sized hands, but being a smaller fellow I don't mind a bit of a thinner wrist myself.

Off the top of my head that's my memory of the B&C stocks which isn't much admittedly but perhaps somewhat useful to someone out there.

All the best.

Dwayne

Thanks Dwayne. I always appreciate your insight. I hope you are having a great day! This stock may be slightly different than some you've worked on. It actually has an aluminum bedding block. It may be hard to see in the pictures, but the gray is aluminum. I do agree with you about some B&C stocks. I remember messing with one that was a nightmare!! But I figured I'd give one a try. I sold that one shortly after taking it on it's first hunting trip. Didn't like how it balanced. This one in question does not appear to be too thick through the grip, like the one I had on a classic model 70. Plus I like the checkering panel on the grip. I will say that the one B&C I have right now is a very good stock, but it is on one of my Tikka's. It's actually a good stock, but does not feel as good as my Mcmillans. I figured for the price on this one, it will suit my buddies needs very well. It is similar to my HS Precision stock on my heavy barrel varmint rifle. We will see how it feels and handles. I'm thinking for $107, it's really hard to go wrong.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

225 members (308xray, 16penny, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 338Rules, 32 invisible), 1,959 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,613
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.