Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
J_Rid Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thought some folks might enjoy knowing Hal Waugh had a 1971 Land Rover Series 2A. Sadly he passed away a year or so after buying it, but his wife Julie apparently kept it for many years afterwards while still living in Alaska. Here are a few attached pics of it, along with the original Land Rover dealer book...(click on them for larger size, etc).

Attached Images
IMG_9704_b.jpg (34.26 KB, 328 downloads)
Hal & Julie Waugh's Land Rover Series 2A 88"
IMG_9753_b.jpg (35.75 KB, 319 downloads)
Hal & Julie Waugh's Land Rover Series 2A 88" (b)
Chassis and Engine no's_b.jpg (35.88 KB, 318 downloads)
Hal & Julie Waugh's Land Rover Series 2A 88" (c)
IMG_9815_b.jpg (38.81 KB, 311 downloads)
Hal & Julie Waugh's Land Rover Series 2A 88" (e)
IMG_9751_b.jpg (36.91 KB, 290 downloads)
Hal & Julie Waugh's Land Rover Series 2A 88" (d)
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool 4x4s. My dad had a 1973 model for a while in the early 80s. I remember it had 3 spare tire mounts along with the "tropical roof" like the one in the picture. The one featured in the movie The one in Gods must be Crazy movie was appropriately nicknamed "The Antichrist" in my opinion. smirk

Last edited by MikeS; 07/01/23.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
J
J_Rid Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by MikeS
Cool 4x4s. My dad had a 1973 model for a while in the early 80s. I remember it had 3 spare tire mounts along with the "tropical roof" like the one in the picture.

Fun memory. Sounds like it had a hood tire mount, rear door, and inside bulkhead mount... nice to be able to choose where you want it/them. Hal's roof is almost a 'tropical' version, but it's just a hard top. The tropical has the extra sun shield sheet on the roof, and the upper 'alpine' viewing windows, and, the main roof has vents. I'd love to have one of those... they came on the Station Wagon model as standard but could also be ordered optionally. So many versions of these trucks... a bit like VW buses!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oops, I was looking at it on my cell phone the first time and misidentified the roof. Fonder memories of it now perhaps than at the time. The clutch hydraulic cylinder on the left hand drive models is very difficult to access due to the steering column. Access is important on an English vehicle with their problematic hydraulic systems. On a right hand drive you could rebuild the cylinder and bleed on the trail if needed. Drove from the northern AZ woods back to Phoenix twice without an operable clutch, at least the transmissions were tough! I liked the throttle/idle speed detent adjuster on the floorboard. It came in handy rougher rock crawling in low range as well as the PTO. We had the larger diameter tires from a 109 that were narrow but taller than the 88s, IIRC.

Last edited by MikeS; 07/03/23.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A couple of pictures from 1983. Elk hunting south of Flagstaff.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I am sometimes amazed how much interest still resides in Hal by many folks. I just learned who has his shotgun and my father owned Julie's hunting rifle for a few years. I do not know who he sold it to or if they even know who owned it.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Old photos are certainly nice to look at.
And having any of those older vehicles will for sure get you noticed.
But thats about where it all ends, as for comparison with the modern day (good) off road vehicles.

J
J_Rid Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by MikeS
A couple of pictures from 1983. Elk hunting south of Flagstaff.

Thanks for sharing the pics. Looks like your dad's truck top had the much desirable sun shade, and a monster winch. Hal's has a factory installed Koenig winch running off the PTO... powerful beast!

Originally Posted by yobuck
Old photos are certainly nice to look at.
And having any of those older vehicles will for sure get you noticed.
But thats about where it all ends, as for comparison with the modern day (good) off road vehicles.

Agreed about the utilitarian aspect of these old rides. They'll get you there but bring the repair manual, your tools, fluids, and an extra seat cushion...

J
J_Rid Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by FNWhelen
I am sometimes amazed how much interest still resides in Hal by many folks. I just learned who has his shotgun and my father owned Julie's hunting rifle for a few years. I do not know who he sold it to or if they even know who owned it.

Nice to hear. I imagine with Hal's guns (and Land Rover), as with many old things, the history/provenance slowly fades between each owner. I stumbled upon knowledge of Hal simply by Googling his name as it appeared in his Land Rover owner's manual after I bought the truck. I love the history of things, so I've enjoyed reading his book and other bits on him, and learning there's a mountain named after him, too.

Question for you... perhaps a longshot, but I'm keen to keep Hal's legacy alive in connection with his truck and a photo of him (and or Julie) by it would be wonderful. Might you know how to be in touch with Hal's son, Dan Waugh? He's likely the best source for such a photo I reckon...

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I would think Phil Shoemaker might be a good source of info. I never met Hal or Julie myself but my sister and BIL lived in Eagle Alaska for a number of years and got to be friends with Julie there. This is how my father met Julie and ended up buying her rifle and Big Nan from her.

IC B3

J
J_Rid Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by FNWhelen
I would think Phil Shoemaker might be a good source of info. I never met Hal or Julie myself but my sister and BIL lived in Eagle Alaska for a number of years and got to be friends with Julie there. This is how my father met Julie and ended up buying her rifle and Big Nan from her.

Many thanks for replying. I've seen his name in relation to making a replica of Big Nan, so your suggestion seems perfect. I'll give it a shot (no pun intended).

J
J_Rid Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Been asked for a few more pics, including interior (5 attachments allowed per post). I'm not a great photographer but here you go.

It's well preserved in quite original condition, including majority of the paint. Seats were redone.

All thanks to Hal (then Julie ~30 yrs) for being kind owners until these trucks increased in popularity and became a 'classic collectable'.

Click on pics for larger size as I can't seem to paste them into the thread.

Attached Images
IMG_3781.jpg (38.84 KB, 74 downloads)
IMG_3782.jpg (37.49 KB, 74 downloads)
IMG_3792.jpg (37.28 KB, 74 downloads)
IMG_3793.jpg (38.57 KB, 74 downloads)
2022-08-23 Blackies c.jpg (35.86 KB, 74 downloads)
Hal Waugh's 1971 Land Rover Series 2A, 88"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

235 members (257 mag, 160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 257robertsimp, 24 invisible), 1,810 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,154
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.