Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Here's a few that we have. I would much prefer to buy over build. The Sportsman Condo is the best bang for the buck. When I have built, I find out that it costs me more than originally expected and doesn't last as long. The only caveat to buying is the Muddy blind. While it is well-insulated, it leaks and the heat has warped the insulated walls. I would never buy another Muddy. By the time you put it up (2 days), your left with a situation of a lot of work for a warranty claim.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Cool blinds and some great ideas. Thanks to all for sharing.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
The above are nice blinds but none are accessable To a disabled hunter, no matter the size of the blind if your hunting partner can't get in it, it's of no use to you or them, read the O.P.

Rio7

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JLimbo
I've been in this one a couple of times. Only bad part was sharing it with about a hundred yellow jackets.

Fogger's are your friend. Quite portable, handy and will do the trick in a couple of hours. Go out the day before and throw it in. It's a lot better for them to be under your feet than over your head.

A Yellow Jacket can scramble faster than an F-16.

Last edited by Reloder28; 07/12/23.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
[Linked Image from blynd.com]

Bought this back in 2005. It survived hurricane Ike & Harvey. It is beat up a bit from Ike. Had it home during the storm. I looked out the window and it was rolling around the yard like a pinball. None the worse for wear. It is still my handgun blind and I really enjoy it. It is currently tied to a big Oak at thew lease. Weighs 83 lbs.

https://www.blynd.com/deer-hunting-blinds/ground-blinds

Last edited by Reloder28; 07/12/23.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by JLimbo
I've been in this one a couple of times. Only bad part was sharing it with about a hundred yellow jackets.

Fogger's are your friend. Quite portable, handy and will do the trick in a couple of hours. Go out the day before and throw it in. It's a lot better for them to be under your feet than over your head.

A Yellow Jacket can scramble faster than an F-16.

So can the Red MFer’s

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We have 3 homemade plywood blinds with metal roofs on our 125 acres. For windows we used Pella sliding basement windows and they are built on platforms from 6-12’ off the ground using treated 6x6 posts. Insulation is 1” foam board and heated with Buddy propane heaters. Smallest is 5’x5’ and biggest is 6’x8’. Here during Central NYS late November-December deer season they are like five star accommodations.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I like to build stuff. So, I'd build them. The pre-built, plastic ones don't turn my crack for what they cost. However, those I think you can move around a lot easier than than a site built blind.

One thing that I've seen in WI and MN lately is a platform with a pop-up blind on them. That's something you could consider as well.

We use Mr. Buddy heaters in almost all our pop-up blinds in WI and they work pretty well.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Also at least one that's easily accessable by someone with restricted mobility.

Come on Dude...I'm fat but I can get in a stand. laugh

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by hanco
Build the stand out of plywood, keep paint on it and it will last 25 years. Insulate with foam board, build windows with glass panes. A small heater will keep you warm.

What do you need foam board insulation for? Those cold mornings when it gets down to 35*F? grin

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My hunting buddy's wife liked to go with him at times and was big pregnant one fall. She couldn't make the big strides between the rungs of our homemade ladder (floor was 5' off the ground). He showed back up with a set of fiberglass swimming pool steps. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by hanco
Build the stand out of plywood, keep paint on it and it will last 25 years. Insulate with foam board, build windows with glass panes. A small heater will keep you warm.

What do you need foam board insulation for? Those cold mornings when it gets down to 35*F? grin

It gets down to 34 sometimes. I built that, sold to son in law. He put the foam in there, don’t know why either. I recently bought it back. He painted it that ugly chocolate color.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Always build our own since we hunt mostly open ground and canyons to accommodate a few grandkids now and then..keeps the wind off so they can hang out longer with grand paw..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I was driving through Eastern, NC ( Hyde and Pitt counties ) I was looking to photograph old wood tobacco drying houses. In a few fields I noticed camo painted porti-potties like you see on construction sites. They were along the timber edges of bean or corn fields. Stopped in a diner and asked about them and got a good laugh and the ‘ you’re not from around here ‘ talk. Anyway they were deer and bear blinds. Farmers bought old ones steam cleaned them out and cut shooting slits in the sides. I thought it was a clever and probably cheap. I was told some were spra foam insulated mostly for noise. Food for thought
Rick

Last edited by Woodpecker; 07/13/23.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Lordy,Lordy, I grew up working in & around those old flue curing tobacco barns. That hard work made the rest of my life a breeze !!

"not too grumpy"
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Old Woody I for the life of me cant imagine working inside one of those tobacco sheds in the NC heat. You know the Japanese had similar contraptions in WWII for prisoners and I read where a lot guys died in them especially Aussies caught in the Philippines. I lived in Tarboro, NC for a year and had a house in Belhaven, NC and the Summer heat was ferocious. Did you actually work the field priming tobacco with those ugly tobacco worms. You must be tougher than a hard boiled owl

Rick

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I "was" pretty tough !! I'm old & tired now & "I'm not as tough as I once was". Later when in the Air Force, in the New Mexico sun working inside B-52's on the Flight Line in boiling heat other guys said "I'm dying", I'd say nope, nor yet, this won't kill you. The Tobacco fields might, but they are hotter !!! Oh, the Tobacco worms won't hurt you, & they make outstanding Bass & Catfish bait !!

"not too grumpy"
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Woodpecker
I was driving through Eastern, NC ( Hyde and Pitt counties ) I was looking to photograph old wood tobacco drying houses. In a few fields I noticed camo painted porti-potties like you see on construction sites. They were along the timber edges of bean or corn fields. Stopped in a diner and asked about them and got a good laugh and the ‘ you’re not from around here ‘ talk. Anyway they were deer and bear blinds. Farmers bought old ones steam cleaned them out and cut shooting slits in the sides. I thought it was a clever and probably cheap. I was told some were spra foam insulated mostly for noise. Food for thought
Rick

Paid $150 for mine at the local poop truck yard. Built a new skid that wasn’t soaked in that overpowering deodorant. It hunts great.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Rick

Paid $150 for mine at the local poop truck yard. Built a new skid that wasn’t soaked in that overpowering deodorant. It hunts great.
Rick

Ah ha so you’re the guy

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

Always build our own since we hunt mostly open ground and canyons to accommodate a few grandkids now and then..keeps the wind off so they can hang out longer with grand paw..

My granddaughter grew up, miss those days!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 01Foreman400, 160user, 49 invisible), 2,261 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,664
Posts18,512,923
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.