Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by filmjunkie4ever
My Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless .30-06 is my most accurate. A Douglas barrel has much to do with that I am certain.

I bought this rifle when I was 18. We’ve been hunting together for over 20 years now. It’s my favorite.

The three shot group on the man-sized silhouette measures just under 1”, and was shot off a bench rest at 300 yards. My load is 56 grains of IMR-4350 and Nosler 165 grain Accubonds.

Thanks for posting pictures man. Sounds like a great rifle with a lot of sentimental value. Last year I bought a classic that had been used a lot by what I assume a guy that only had one rifle. Some rifles tell a story like that and this one was worn honestly, but taken great care of. Love that old rifle, but I spruced it up a bit. A 5 digit classic matte 7mm rem mag:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Like my newer purchase (pre 64 270 fwt), I managed a lucky 3 shot group with the rifle, but it has proven itself well beyond this group. ^^^

Was out testing a load on another rifle I bought for my birthday. The one that is in the OP. That rifle really impresses me. Thought I'd share one of the 2 groups I shot with the rifle the other day:

Got to love these old Winchester model 70's. I'm not too much of a stickler about the push feed model 70's anymore. They seem to be pretty good rifles.

Post up anymore you guys have. Thanks for sharing!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
That’s great shooting!

Like you I too don’t recoil in complete horror at a push-feed M70. In fact I know of several in our family and circle of friends that are great shooters.

The aesthetics of the Pre-64/Classic/Current Production M70’s though are the apple of my eye.

We have a push-feed .264 Win Mag that we recently rebarreled and restocked that had belonged to my grandfather. The first group I fired after barrel break-in shot sub-moa with good old H4831 and 140 grain Accubonds!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My Mashburn has been my easiest rifle ever. Just haven't found much it doesn't like an alot it loves.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
My Mashburn has been my easiest rifle ever. Just haven't found much it doesn't like an alot it loves.

I love it when model 70's shoot like that. Thanks for sharing Scotty!! I always liked that color scheme on that stock with the red pad.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I picked this one up for a donor but changed my mind. Needs a red pad.
And it needs to make meat in a few months!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sold this Pre-64 Fwt 30-06 a couple years ago. It’s a hole driller.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunnut308
I picked this one up for a donor but changed my mind. Needs a red pad.
And it needs to make meat in a few months!

That sure is a sweet ‘54 std weight buddy. Probably chambered in 270 Winchester. My smith used to tell me the 270’s were always the most accurate ones. I’m glad you posted in this thread because that reminded me that I sold you one of my most accurate rifles. A model 70 in form and heart, but with a FN name on it. You may have sold that one off, but hopefully you shot it before doing do. That FN PBR XP 300 WSM was really a sweetheart

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Embarrassing to me, being a pre 64 fan, I've had at least 3 post 64 push feeds that shot wonderfully without major tweaks or load development. Butt ugly the best of them, a .270, with some kind of Slobovian Piss Elm stock. Before I joined the fire I used to cruise the threads...time after time the Tikka was praised...so I bought one, in .308 no less...turns out, I'm the only guy on earth that ever had trouble with a Tikka, especially in .308. Sheesh.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Embarrassing to me, being a pre 64 fan, I've had at least 3 post 64 push feeds that shot wonderfully without major tweaks or load development. Butt ugly the best of them, a .270, with some kind of Slobovian Piss Elm stock. Before I joined the fire I used to cruise the threads...time after time the Tikka was praised...so I bought one, in .308 no less...turns out, I'm the only guy on earth that ever had trouble with a Tikka, especially in .308. Sheesh.

Oh no, say it isn't so!!! I love the stories about the awesome shooting push feed model 70's. I've had some damn good shooting pre 64's too, but the push feeds are sometimes sleepers. My 2 most recent model 70 purchases were damn good ones in terms of accurate rifles. They are both pre 64's. One a 1953 std and the other a 1956 fwt. Now, I've never been a 270 guy. My best friend growing up always had a 270 though, so we would argue back and forth which was better. The 30-06 or 270.

I remember a conversation I was having with Bobin and he loved both cartridges, but I told him I was just going to have to face it. The 270 seems like it's just a more consistent shooting cartridge. He agreed. Then he said if his pre 64 270's had good barrels, they usual shot just as good as a custom barrel.

Now, I hang on to my 1956 30-06 fwt for multiple reasons. One being that my parents were born in 1956. The other is it's a damn tack driver:
I don't know if I have a better shooting 30-06 in the stable, but the 1956 270 fwt I recently purchased scares me. It just fell into my lap and it's a 1956 rifle. Had I been looking for one to keep this would be the one. However it is not all original. Someone replaced the aluminum butt plate with a recoil pad. They also cut the stock down a bit to keep the factory LOP. It was a prime candidate for a red pad at that point:

That was a great find at $729.00 with an old gloss Leupold vari-x III 2.5-8x36 on top. That and the '56 30-06 will probably be the last 2 rifles I ever get rid of.

The scary part about this rifle is how it shoots. I see major potential in it.. Shooting factory ammo. I've yet to even work up a load for this one. Call me still biased if you will!!!!:

100 yards:

200 yards:

300 yards:

400 yards:

I do that test and it separates the wheat from the chaff. 1 target set at each distance and see how it does. This rifle proved in a very short time that it's a keeper. The funny thing is that 270 actually outshot my buddies SWAT rifle that day, doing the same test.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Mine is a 1967 M70 heavy barrel 22-250 with my hand loads. I'll add a pic when I have time to figure it out...

Kansan

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Kansan
Mine is a 1967 M70 heavy barrel 22-250 with my hand loads. I'll add a pic when I have time to figure it out...

Kansan

I'll bet it's a shooter. Hopefully your new 300H&H is a good shooter too. The ones I've shot have been pretty sweet. I have a remnant of one, but it is now a 300WBY. Still has the original 300H&H barrel on it, but was rechambered for the WBY. Great shooting rifle that is now in a Brown Precision PoundR stock.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Butt ugly the best of them, a .270, with some kind of Slobovian Piss Elm stock.

That is so true!! 😂😂
Going to steal that, “slobovian piss elm stock.”

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
1965 .225 Win. Stupidly accurate with factory ammo and an antiquated old Weaver scope.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I presently am down to one Model 70. It’s a 1984 Model 70 push feed Carbine in 30/06 with a Redfield 2-7 scope. We had another identical Carbine that was my youngest son’s. His interests changed and we sold it and applied the money towards the purchase of a $2500 Jose Ramirez classical guitar. He progressed very quickly on guitar and was promised a full scholarship at University of Southern Mississippi at Hattiesburg. At age fifteen he competed in guitar competitions against college students and won. I also had a Model 70 Westerner in 30/06 but it was a bit heavy for my styles of hunting- stalking and climbing stands here in the South. It was another one I wish I had back. All mine have been very accurate when fed handloads of 57 grains 4350 and 165 grain Hornadys. I love a 30 caliber in 30/06, 30/30 and .308, I’m old school.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My pre'64 Super Grade .35 Whelen (Redman rebore) is the most accurate M/70 that I currently own. A Hornady 200gr. Inter-lok RN and IMR 3031 produce cloverleaf groups @ 100yds., recovered bullets typically retain 65-70% of original weight. Agree on the .30-06 load of IMR 4350 and 165gr. Sierra Game King, it was an accurate load in my pre'64 Featherweight and killed whitetails with authority.

Last edited by gunswizard; 08/22/23.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The one for sale here.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
My Pre-64' Featherweight .243 Win with 95 gr Nos. BT's. The rifle absolutely loves those BT's

Dave
Life Member NRA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dusty246
The one for sale here.

I've sold some accurate rifles too. Most, if not all, of my rifles shoot pretty good. Good luck with your sale. That Mcmillan stock that just sold here, for a little more than $400.00, would have been a great candidate for your rifle. Your FWT does appear to be a great shooter though..

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'll regret selling it for sure but time moves on. Still have my dad's deer rifles to use.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dusty246
I'll regret selling it for sure but time moves on. Still have my dad's deer rifles to use.

It seems like you may be more partial to the Remington 700? Never could warm up to them, after some extraction failures. When rifles take a dump on you, you learn real quick which ones you can trust. In my mind, your 1955 30-06 fwt is a diamond in the rough. The only tarnish is on the stock. The rifle seems to shoot better than any 30-06 fwt I have. That says quite a bit. Sorry you've had to deal with what you did on that rifle. The right buyer will come along and snatch it up. And I hope Scotty doesn't suggest re-boring it again!!!! That would be an ultimate sacrilege.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,447
Posts18,489,641
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.