Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'll start it off:

For me, the most consistent shooting model 70 I own is probably going to be one of my newer rifles. One I bought at the beginning of this year. A fairly rare rifle that I need to shoot a little more. It is chambered in 308 winchester and drives tacks. This rifle was made for only a couple years. A heavy barrel varmint with its factory HS Precision stock, that I had to glass bed. I always love it when my Winchester model 70's shoot as well as my Tikka's. It's even better when they shoot better than a Tikka, but that rarely happens.

Post your most accurate model 70 and maybe some target pics. You guys have seen mine, but here it is again:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This was the first 5 shot group out of the rifle:
400 yards, but the load was a bit stiff..

Then after fine tuning the load I ended up with this. The 47gr charge was a bit stiff, so I had to reduce that and find the next node down:

Testing that load at 400 yards and it was hovering around an inch:

3/4" 3 shot group on my favorite yote target:

I also gave the 168's a try:

In the tests at 400 yards, the 175 worked a bit better, so I think I'm going to stick with that bullet and leave the 168's for my Tikka 308.

Post up your best shooting model 70. I love me some good shooting model 70 rifles.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Wait, we are supposed to shoot our model 70's? I have some I have had for 10+ years that I have never pulled the trigger on. Actually, I have quite a few that I have never even put glass on. I enjoy the rifles but I am just not much of a shooter even though I have a range and enclosed shooting shack here on the work farm.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
A Jack O'Connor tribute rifle. Loves both 130s and 150s flat based interlocks. I put 5 130s in a quarter with it one day. I seriously think they tried everything up on these guns and possibly used a little better barrels.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've owned a few m70s over the years. My most accurate is a m70 super grade made at the fn south Carolina location. 270win that shoots both 130gr and 150gr equally well.

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
My Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless .30-06 is my most accurate. A Douglas barrel has much to do with that I am certain.

I bought this rifle when I was 18. We’ve been hunting together for over 20 years now. It’s my favorite.

The three shot group on the man-sized silhouette measures just under 1”, and was shot off a bench rest at 300 yards. My load is 56 grains of IMR-4350 and Nosler 165 grain Accubonds.

Attached Images
IMG_4670.jpeg (20.59 KB, 569 downloads)
IMG_2792.jpeg (12.83 KB, 568 downloads)
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Easy answer based on reloading notes but no target pictures. It would be a Model 70 Featherweight in 270 Winchester born in 1955. It’s one of those rifles that doesn’t seem to care what you load it with, it shoots everything very well. Anything from 130-140 grain is the sweet spot with multiple powders. It is a honest working rifle and will never will be labeled as a collector since I sold the original stock. It now sets in a McMillan Edge stock at the front of the safe where it is easy to grab. Front of the safe basically tells you how I feel and that sentiment is based on reality.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
270 FN FWT. Not much competition in my safe as my only other M70 is my 375 H&H. Both are sub MOA but the FN is very accurate. It is as it came from the factory including the bubble gum bedding.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mine's a .264 I bought here on the fire. Makes a marksman out of me, and that is quite a trick

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
LH 270 WSM sporter but the 6.5x55 is right there with it. Both shoot sub 3/4 in

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
It was sort of amazing, but one of the most accurate M70s I've owned (and have had plenty of pre- and post-64s) was a pre-64 standard weight .30-06. Tried it first with some 150-grain Winchester Silvertip factory loads that were on hand, and the forend screw tightened firmly. It would consistently put three shots touching, or nearly so.

Also had a pre-'64 Featherweight .308 Winchester, first-year production in .308, that after I free-floated the barrel with a couple of plastic shims behind the recoil lug, would do almost as well with handloads featuring the 130-grain Barnes TTSX.

But overall the post-64s have grouped better.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Don’t reckon a Pre-64 with a 26” 6.5-284 Kreiger would be a fair comparison.

DF

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
1951 Standard Md 70 3o/06 in factory furniture. 165 Sierra GK over H4350, W760/H414 are consistently sub MOA with room to spare.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
For the last ten years or so, my M70 SS All Terrain FW has been. In fairness, it had an unfired .30-06 barrel installed on it by a USMC retired armorer. It was originally a .270 but I bought the peces as I wanted one in .30-06. It has the tighhtest chamber of any of my .30-06 rifles and three of them are Model 70's. It shoots 3 shot groups at 100 yards between 1/2 and 3/4 inch with 180 NPTs and 56 gr H-4350.

For about 40 years my 1937 Model 70 in .30 Govt '06 was. Unfortunately, the barrel has started to wear and 3 shot groups have gradually opened to about 1.5 inches at 100 yards. I have purchased a pre-64 FW unfired takeoff barrel for it and hope to get it installed within the year. It is an extremely comfortable rifle to shoot as it sits in a Pacific Research stock.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have only 6 model 70’s left. I have only really worked with my 338 Classic stainless and its a MOA rifle. The 338 sits in a Brown Precision stock.
My two most accurate rifles were aWin 670 30/06 I put in a Brown Prec stock. The barrel had some pitting and would group for 15-20 shots then needed cleaning and some JB compound. The other was a post 64 compact .270. That rifle put the shots in about a half in group wether the barrel was hot, cold or sizzling. I had bedded it in a Brown Prec stock also.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
80;s XTR .300WM with a Denver Redfield scope and rings. Shot .375 groups regularly with 168 gr Ballistic Silvertips. I put a Ziess Terra on and the groups opened to .75, so I put the Redfield back. My son has it now.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like you guys have some great shooting model 70's. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Some of you posts reminds me of some rifles I've had that were amazing shooters. Like JB, I had a std wt 30-06 that I sold to a member here. I pillar and glass bedded it and floated the barrel. Threw a dummy screw in the stock where the forend screw was supposed to go. It looked very original, but shot like a million dollars. The guy I sold that rifle to loves the rifle and hung on to it and sold his Tikka's. Saying the old pre 64 would outshoot his best shooting Tikka's. Miss that guy posting here!! He also bought a 270 std wt rifle from Roger Rule, and I guess that rifle is a shooter too. Like you guys, I've had a great shooting 270 fwt, and sold it, but now I have a new 270fwt and a 270 std wt that I need to play with some more. Both rifles shot some great promise, but I have not shot them enough to say they are some of my best shooting model 70's. One group fired recently had me walk down to the target to take a better look!!

What's nice about my new std wt, is it likes hitting the orange dot:
That SOB is like laser guided to that orange dot for some reason. Love its firey stock too:

My new 270 fwt has only shot factory ammo thus far, but that is going to change here shortly!!!

I think the reason I started this thread is because someone posted something about model 70's not shooting well. That has not been my experience with them. Even the fwt's seem to shoot very well. I love the model 70's and even though, I shoot a lot of Tikka rifles, I still enjoy nestling up to a good model 70. Thanks for the posts guys and enjoy those model 70's. Take them out shooting every once in a while!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Plumdog
80;s XTR .300WM with a Denver Redfield scope and rings. Shot .375 groups regularly with 168 gr Ballistic Silvertips. I put a Ziess Terra on and the groups opened to .75, so I put the Redfield back. My son has it now.

I love the XTR's. I have some chambered in 22-250 (a featherweight) and 300WBY. Both excellent shooters. Made very well and nicely finished. I rarely shoot the 22-250, as it's a first year short action and the value increases on that rifle every day. The 300WBY is sitting in a very nice Pacific Research stock. While it does not shoot nearly as well as my pre 64 300WBY in the Brown PoundR, it still shoots sub moa for 3 shot groups. Good enough in my book for a big magnum rifle.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
For the last ten years or so, my M70 SS All Terrain FW has been. In fairness, it had an unfired .30-06 barrel installed on it by a USMC retired armorer. It was originally a .270 but I bought the peces as I wanted one in .30-06. It has the tighhtest chamber of any of my .30-06 rifles and three of them are Model 70's. It shoots 3 shot groups at 100 yards between 1/2 and 3/4 inch with 180 NPTs and 56 gr H-4350.

For about 40 years my 1937 Model 70 in .30 Govt '06 was. Unfortunately, the barrel has started to wear and 3 shot groups have gradually opened to about 1.5 inches at 100 yards. I have purchased a pre-64 FW unfired takeoff barrel for it and hope to get it installed within the year. It is an extremely comfortable rifle to shoot as it sits in a Pacific Research stock.

Can you start a thread on your 1937 after you get your fwt barrel put on? I'd love to hear more about it. Great stock choice too!! Love my Pacific Research that is on my XTR 300WBY. Very nice ergo's and they look great. I wish Floyd was still smithing in your area, I'd send you to him for the re-barrel. You may want to talk to Tim in Estacada and see if he will do the work on your rifle. If you don't have anyone lined up to do it.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Don’t reckon a Pre-64 with a 26” 6.5-284 Kreiger would be a fair comparison.

DF

Sure it would. For damn sure. Don't make me pull my 338wm out DF!!!

Funny thing is I know where a 25-284 pre 64 is. Looks all original, but has been rechambered. I think it was originally a 257 Roberts. The small shop has had the rifle for 6 months now, and the price keeps going down. It's one of those rifles where I will eventually go into the shop and buy for $600.00. Now that I have a 25-06, I may consider it. Since I did not load for any 25 cal rifles. I will have bullets on hand now. The rifle in this shop comes with brass, dies, bullets and some other stuff. At $600-650 it may be a good buy.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I was hoping to see some old target rifles or some cool old varmint rifles in this thread. Maybe someone else will chime in with just such a critter. Thanks for sharing!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by filmjunkie4ever
My Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless .30-06 is my most accurate. A Douglas barrel has much to do with that I am certain.

I bought this rifle when I was 18. We’ve been hunting together for over 20 years now. It’s my favorite.

The three shot group on the man-sized silhouette measures just under 1”, and was shot off a bench rest at 300 yards. My load is 56 grains of IMR-4350 and Nosler 165 grain Accubonds.

Thanks for posting pictures man. Sounds like a great rifle with a lot of sentimental value. Last year I bought a classic that had been used a lot by what I assume a guy that only had one rifle. Some rifles tell a story like that and this one was worn honestly, but taken great care of. Love that old rifle, but I spruced it up a bit. A 5 digit classic matte 7mm rem mag:

Like my newer purchase (pre 64 270 fwt), I managed a lucky 3 shot group with the rifle, but it has proven itself well beyond this group. ^^^

Was out testing a load on another rifle I bought for my birthday. The one that is in the OP. That rifle really impresses me. Thought I'd share one of the 2 groups I shot with the rifle the other day:

Got to love these old Winchester model 70's. I'm not too much of a stickler about the push feed model 70's anymore. They seem to be pretty good rifles.

Post up anymore you guys have. Thanks for sharing!!

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
That’s great shooting!

Like you I too don’t recoil in complete horror at a push-feed M70. In fact I know of several in our family and circle of friends that are great shooters.

The aesthetics of the Pre-64/Classic/Current Production M70’s though are the apple of my eye.

We have a push-feed .264 Win Mag that we recently rebarreled and restocked that had belonged to my grandfather. The first group I fired after barrel break-in shot sub-moa with good old H4831 and 140 grain Accubonds!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My Mashburn has been my easiest rifle ever. Just haven't found much it doesn't like an alot it loves.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
My Mashburn has been my easiest rifle ever. Just haven't found much it doesn't like an alot it loves.

I love it when model 70's shoot like that. Thanks for sharing Scotty!! I always liked that color scheme on that stock with the red pad.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I picked this one up for a donor but changed my mind. Needs a red pad.
And it needs to make meat in a few months!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sold this Pre-64 Fwt 30-06 a couple years ago. It’s a hole driller.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunnut308
I picked this one up for a donor but changed my mind. Needs a red pad.
And it needs to make meat in a few months!

That sure is a sweet ‘54 std weight buddy. Probably chambered in 270 Winchester. My smith used to tell me the 270’s were always the most accurate ones. I’m glad you posted in this thread because that reminded me that I sold you one of my most accurate rifles. A model 70 in form and heart, but with a FN name on it. You may have sold that one off, but hopefully you shot it before doing do. That FN PBR XP 300 WSM was really a sweetheart

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Embarrassing to me, being a pre 64 fan, I've had at least 3 post 64 push feeds that shot wonderfully without major tweaks or load development. Butt ugly the best of them, a .270, with some kind of Slobovian Piss Elm stock. Before I joined the fire I used to cruise the threads...time after time the Tikka was praised...so I bought one, in .308 no less...turns out, I'm the only guy on earth that ever had trouble with a Tikka, especially in .308. Sheesh.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Embarrassing to me, being a pre 64 fan, I've had at least 3 post 64 push feeds that shot wonderfully without major tweaks or load development. Butt ugly the best of them, a .270, with some kind of Slobovian Piss Elm stock. Before I joined the fire I used to cruise the threads...time after time the Tikka was praised...so I bought one, in .308 no less...turns out, I'm the only guy on earth that ever had trouble with a Tikka, especially in .308. Sheesh.

Oh no, say it isn't so!!! I love the stories about the awesome shooting push feed model 70's. I've had some damn good shooting pre 64's too, but the push feeds are sometimes sleepers. My 2 most recent model 70 purchases were damn good ones in terms of accurate rifles. They are both pre 64's. One a 1953 std and the other a 1956 fwt. Now, I've never been a 270 guy. My best friend growing up always had a 270 though, so we would argue back and forth which was better. The 30-06 or 270.

I remember a conversation I was having with Bobin and he loved both cartridges, but I told him I was just going to have to face it. The 270 seems like it's just a more consistent shooting cartridge. He agreed. Then he said if his pre 64 270's had good barrels, they usual shot just as good as a custom barrel.

Now, I hang on to my 1956 30-06 fwt for multiple reasons. One being that my parents were born in 1956. The other is it's a damn tack driver:
I don't know if I have a better shooting 30-06 in the stable, but the 1956 270 fwt I recently purchased scares me. It just fell into my lap and it's a 1956 rifle. Had I been looking for one to keep this would be the one. However it is not all original. Someone replaced the aluminum butt plate with a recoil pad. They also cut the stock down a bit to keep the factory LOP. It was a prime candidate for a red pad at that point:

That was a great find at $729.00 with an old gloss Leupold vari-x III 2.5-8x36 on top. That and the '56 30-06 will probably be the last 2 rifles I ever get rid of.

The scary part about this rifle is how it shoots. I see major potential in it.. Shooting factory ammo. I've yet to even work up a load for this one. Call me still biased if you will!!!!:

100 yards:

200 yards:

300 yards:

400 yards:

I do that test and it separates the wheat from the chaff. 1 target set at each distance and see how it does. This rifle proved in a very short time that it's a keeper. The funny thing is that 270 actually outshot my buddies SWAT rifle that day, doing the same test.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Mine is a 1967 M70 heavy barrel 22-250 with my hand loads. I'll add a pic when I have time to figure it out...

Kansan

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Kansan
Mine is a 1967 M70 heavy barrel 22-250 with my hand loads. I'll add a pic when I have time to figure it out...

Kansan

I'll bet it's a shooter. Hopefully your new 300H&H is a good shooter too. The ones I've shot have been pretty sweet. I have a remnant of one, but it is now a 300WBY. Still has the original 300H&H barrel on it, but was rechambered for the WBY. Great shooting rifle that is now in a Brown Precision PoundR stock.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Butt ugly the best of them, a .270, with some kind of Slobovian Piss Elm stock.

That is so true!! 😂😂
Going to steal that, “slobovian piss elm stock.”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1965 .225 Win. Stupidly accurate with factory ammo and an antiquated old Weaver scope.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I presently am down to one Model 70. It’s a 1984 Model 70 push feed Carbine in 30/06 with a Redfield 2-7 scope. We had another identical Carbine that was my youngest son’s. His interests changed and we sold it and applied the money towards the purchase of a $2500 Jose Ramirez classical guitar. He progressed very quickly on guitar and was promised a full scholarship at University of Southern Mississippi at Hattiesburg. At age fifteen he competed in guitar competitions against college students and won. I also had a Model 70 Westerner in 30/06 but it was a bit heavy for my styles of hunting- stalking and climbing stands here in the South. It was another one I wish I had back. All mine have been very accurate when fed handloads of 57 grains 4350 and 165 grain Hornadys. I love a 30 caliber in 30/06, 30/30 and .308, I’m old school.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My pre'64 Super Grade .35 Whelen (Redman rebore) is the most accurate M/70 that I currently own. A Hornady 200gr. Inter-lok RN and IMR 3031 produce cloverleaf groups @ 100yds., recovered bullets typically retain 65-70% of original weight. Agree on the .30-06 load of IMR 4350 and 165gr. Sierra Game King, it was an accurate load in my pre'64 Featherweight and killed whitetails with authority.

Last edited by gunswizard; 08/22/23.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The one for sale here.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
My Pre-64' Featherweight .243 Win with 95 gr Nos. BT's. The rifle absolutely loves those BT's

Dave
Life Member NRA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dusty246
The one for sale here.

I've sold some accurate rifles too. Most, if not all, of my rifles shoot pretty good. Good luck with your sale. That Mcmillan stock that just sold here, for a little more than $400.00, would have been a great candidate for your rifle. Your FWT does appear to be a great shooter though..

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'll regret selling it for sure but time moves on. Still have my dad's deer rifles to use.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dusty246
I'll regret selling it for sure but time moves on. Still have my dad's deer rifles to use.

It seems like you may be more partial to the Remington 700? Never could warm up to them, after some extraction failures. When rifles take a dump on you, you learn real quick which ones you can trust. In my mind, your 1955 30-06 fwt is a diamond in the rough. The only tarnish is on the stock. The rifle seems to shoot better than any 30-06 fwt I have. That says quite a bit. Sorry you've had to deal with what you did on that rifle. The right buyer will come along and snatch it up. And I hope Scotty doesn't suggest re-boring it again!!!! That would be an ultimate sacrilege.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This thread reminds me of the rifle I've been eyeballing for the last 5 months. It's at a small, "hole in the wall", shop I know of. I checked on it yesterday, and it's still there. The rifle has been rechambered to 25-284. The bore is immaculate, very sharp rifling and good crown. It also has a very nice chamber, so that has been done right. I believe the rifle was made in 1955 and used to be a 257 Roberts (a shame they rechambered it). As I have said before, this rifle is on consignment and I know the price will go down more before it sells. Now, they are at $700.00 for the complete package: Scoped rifle, brass, ammo, dies, etc. I told the shop that they have had the rifle for a long time now and that the guy will probably go down on the price again before it sells, and they agreed with me.

This rifle looks like it is going to be a shooter. However, it may be a dick move to go in and buy it at $600.00??

I also have to add this: Since there have been a few threads regarding the FN m98 rifles. I saw one (a very nice one in fact), sporting a $500.00 scope on top. Or at least that is what I could easily sell it for on ebay (where they range from $500-$700.00). Rifle and scope was $500.00.. Good shooting, I couldn't say. Good deal? Maybe.. and yes, the rifle was clunky. No comparison to a pre 64 model 70.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
This thread reminds me of the rifle I've been eyeballing for the last 5 months. It's at a small, "hole in the wall", shop I know of. I checked on it yesterday, and it's still there. The rifle has been rechambered to 25-284. The bore is immaculate, very sharp rifling and good crown. It also has a very nice chamber, so that has been done right. I believe the rifle was made in 1955 and used to be a 257 Roberts (a shame they rechambered it). As I have said before, this rifle is on consignment and I know the price will go down more before it sells. Now, they are at $700.00 for the complete package: Scoped rifle, brass, ammo, dies, etc. I told the shop that they have had the rifle for a long time now and that the guy will probably go down on the price again before it sells, and they agreed with me.

This rifle looks like it is going to be a shooter. However, it may be a dick move to go in and buy it at $600.00??

I also have to add this: Since there have been a few threads regarding the FN m98 rifles. I saw one (a very nice one in fact), sporting a $500.00 scope on top. Or at least that is what I could easily sell it for on ebay (where they range from $500-$700.00). Rifle and scope was $500.00.. Good shooting, I couldn't say. Good deal? Maybe.. and yes, the rifle was clunky. No comparison to a pre 64 model 70.

Do it!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I only have two, both BACO S. Carolina Featherweights. One is chambered in 7-08 and the other is a Shot Show 257 Robts. Both manage 3/4"-1". Not the most accurate in my safes, but fine for my 300 yd max limit on game.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 08/26/23.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

That 70 25-284 sounds like a decent deal if it’s clean and you get it for what you feel comfortable giving.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

That 70 25-284 sounds like a decent deal if it’s clean and you get it for what you feel comfortable giving.

Thanks Scotty. It's in about the same condition my 300wby was when I bought it. I paid $499 for that rifle on Aug 29, 2019:
That rifle shoots pretty good too:

I think one of the reasons I started this thread was because someone was saying Winchester model 70's don't shoot. Well, I've seen just the opposite. It's been hard for me to find one that doesn't shoot well.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Agreed, no issues from the majority of mine as well.

Semper Fi
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pre-64 Westerner in 264 WM.

Without going into the MOA details, let’s just say that it’s not hard to hit medium size pumpkins at 550 yards.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most probably a pre-war 30-06 in a custom stock.
That said, they all including a 338-06 -with the original barrel-shoot well.
Hunting habits die hard: from a NM prong horn, to CO elk, AK moose-all taken within 100 yards.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Does a Pre-64 6.5x284 with 26” Krieger count?

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

DF

Absolutely

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

Absolutely
Well not much is Winchester, just the action.

It’s been blueprinted and sleeved with Borden’s bumps. Doubt many Pre-64’s are set up like that. Has a Jewell trigger.

DF

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I used to have a prewar model 70 with a 2.5X Lyman Alaskan and a rough bore that would shoot under an inch with whatever I fed it. Currently my best shooting Model 70 is a custom in 257 Weatherby, she likes the discontinued Weatherby factory ammo loaded with 120 grain partitions @ 3275 fps. My first 3 shot group was under a half inch.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Speaking of Borden's Bumps....

Check this out.

DF

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Check this out.

DF

Not bad for no barrel. 😀

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Check this out.

DF

Not bad for no barrel. 😀

Looks like he jabbed the bolt into the paper to me. Whatever floats your boat, I guess??

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Gunsmith sent me that photo while doing the work to show the Bordens Bumps. He obviously staged the target for the picture.

But, the gun shoots that good, even some tighter groups than that.

The post was to show an unusual Pre-64 set up, the target not so much.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gunsmith sent me that photo while doing the work to show the Bordens Bumps. He obviously staged the target for the picture.

DF

Greg Tannel?

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by MikeS

DF

Greg Tannel?
No, it was John Van Dyke, Plainville, KS. John was a gifted gunsmith, building precision rifles. He developed health issues around 2010, got some bad press not taking care of business.

I see a 2017 obit. Don't know exactly what happened to him. All I know, he was great to work with and turned out some fine rifles while he was able.

Obit says he was 58 when he passed. Anyone knowing more than that, please let us know.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry to hear that. I thought of Greg as I have not heard of any doing that type of high level work on M70s. Not sure even he does.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It's kinda cool. I was wondering how one could use "Borden's Bumps" just like that without stepping on toes or crossing lines. But, I guess it's OK.

For those who don't know what we're talking about, groves are machined around the bolt body, SS halves (probably from SS barrel pieces) are milled to fit in these grooves. They are JB welding in place, milled so the oblong long axis runs down the race ways with bolt open, cams into a snug up and down fit when the bolt is closed. The bolt face is made to be perfectly perpendicular with the chamber. That, plus not much bolt movement, helps with accuracy. And, the action is blueprinted so that surfaces are true and everything is plumb.

This set up isn't that unique on high end bench rest rifles, not so much on a hunting rifle. And, for sure not of a Pre-64 Winchester, more likely on tricked out 700's. Now, is this overkill on a Pre-64 hunting rifle? Probably, but I thought it was cool. And, it does shoot really well.

And, by now if you're curious what it looks like, here it is. I fitted, glassed and free floated it in a laminated birch Jon Sundra Boyd Classic. I finished it with Custom Pro Oil, stained the finish (not the wood) with Fiebings brown leather dye, then more coats of Pro Oil (tung oil and urethane). I sent it to Errol Case in MO for "Winchester" type checkering. The current Boyd Classic is not the same as the Jon Sundra and I don't like it as well. Jon knows his stuff.

Scope is a Z5 3.5-18 x44 with elevation turret. BTW, Errol's web site is no longer active, so he may have retired, hopefully he hasn't gone the way of John Van Dyke.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good write up on a neat rifle. Might add that they minimize the bolt tilt that occurs in rifles with angled sear faces commonly used with bolt actions. Mostly BR type technology.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very sharp rifle DF.

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

DF

I was just having fun and didn’t mean for it to be taken otherwise, sorry. 👍🏼

I know you were illustrating the “bumps” and that picture was a good example.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
All in fun. The Fire way.

Like Benjamin Disraeli was famous for saying, “I never complain, I never explain”. He was Jewish PM of Great Britain in the mid 1800’s.

Henry Ford II, caught coming out of a hotel, a young woman not his wife on his arm. Reporter ask him to explain. Mr. Ford replied with that famous quote. They got in their waiting car and drove off.

So you don’t have to say you’re sorry. Never complain, never explain.

Ha!

DF

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I own one M70 in 7x57, re-bedded, trigger tweaked, Tubb firing pin and spring, getting groups about 2x larger than that moa $400 Walmart Rem 770, unmodified.

It ain't the model, apparently ! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A South Carolina BACO 30-06 Super Grade that averages about a half inch for three shots C2C with its preferred load.

In the light-heavy weight division, a SC 375 H&H Alaskan that will do 1/2 to 3/4 inch with its favorite 270TSX load.

Neither has had anything done but bedded and had the trigger adjusted down.

I need to drag them out and shoot them more, but where's the fun in that?

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Got a South Carolina BACO stainless 2012 in 243 and a Classic New Haven stainless 1993 (5 digit) in a 308...both were bought new in the box....both will shoot 1/2" with handloads. Trigger pull set at 2.8 lb on the 243 and 2.3 lb on the 308. Really can't tell any difference other than the 243 does not kick as hard.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Winnie70
Got a South Carolina BACO stainless 2012 in 243 and a Classic New Haven stainless 1993 (5 digit) in a 308...both were bought new in the box....both will shoot 1/2" with handloads. Trigger pull set at 2.8 lb on the 243 and 2.3 lb on the 308. Really can't tell any difference other than the 243 does not kick as hard.
It’s nice when you have different eras of model 70’s that shoot and function well. Sounds like you need a great shooting pre 64 now, so you will have ultimate unbiased feelings towards them. I’ve had some sweet shooting BACOs as well, but couldn’t quite warm up to them.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
People often sniff at push feed M-70’s. IME, they shoot pretty well, are generally good guns.

Aesthetically they may be a bit behind pre-64’s and classics, but deserve more credit than they often get.

Bud had an old PF converted to .416 Rem. It was a gift with sentimental value. He was able to hit a cape buff 4 times before it could get out of sight, all potentially fatal hits. Dead buff walking.

So I guess a PF can cycle pretty fast.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Agreed DF.. They’re good rifles and I think the USRAC XTRs might’ve been better built than the later parts in a box Classics.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Agreed DF.. They’re good rifles and I think the USRAC XTRs might’ve been better built than the later parts in a box Classics.
Yeah, those are nice.

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I really have no idea. I own three pre-64's in 270 Win, 358 Win and most recently 6.5x55, all custom wood stocked rifles, and two NH post 64's in 375 H&H and 416 Rem. In general I head to Barnes and load at about their max data at .050" - .070" with the bullet weight I desire. I have never had much trouble getting in and around 1", the 416 1 1/2". Short of the 375 and 6.5 they have killed game just fine here and in Africa. The 375 has chased brown bear unsuccessfully and will do so again next spring. The annual hog hunt next year will be the first for the 6.5 though the PPU factory load seems to be a 1 1/2" shooter so it will likely see service.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a PF that shoots really well. Wayne York took it from .243 to 35 Remington by removing the barrel and installing a rebored 223 FW barrel. I'm satisfied with it and look forward to killing deer with it this year.

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Most accurate current Winchester is a recent win m70 super-grade that groups amazing 2.5" groups on a good day, 3.5-4" is the norm though. Gotta love those accurate Winchesters. Went through two scopes to try and iron out the issues. Scopes were fine, mounts secured/tight, action screws all good. Tried several types of ammunition. From basic budget to premium. Nothing shot very well with the best groups going to the federal power shok 180gr sp. All this was done on a proper rest with a couple mins between each shot for 5 shot groups then let the gun cool for 10-15 mins before trying other loads.

Joking aside, I am having a warranty center look into it, so I'll see what happens.

Not sure what's happening at Winchester quality control line....I also had a new super grade made in Portugal get bore scoped and it had micro pits half way down the barrel for about 6-8 inches. Not impressed with my last two rifles compared to my Alaskan I foolishly sold.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 8MMX57JS
Most accurate current Winchester is a recent win m70 super-grade that groups amazing 2.5" groups on a good day, 3.5-4" is the norm though. Gotta love those accurate Winchesters. Went through two scopes to try and iron out the issues. Scopes were fine, mounts secured/tight, action screws all good. Tried several types of ammunition. From basic budget to premium. Nothing shot very well with the best groups going to the federal power shok 180gr sp. All this was done on a proper rest with a couple mins between each shot for 5 shot groups then let the gun cool for 10-15 mins before trying other loads.

Joking aside, I am having a warranty center look into it, so I'll see what happens.

Not sure what's happening at Winchester quality control line....I also had a new super grade made in Portugal get bore scoped and it had micro pits half way down the barrel for about 6-8 inches. Not impressed with my last two rifles compared to my Alaskan I foolishly sold.

You are talking about a Browning, for all intents and purposes. However, there are some that believe they are the best rendition yet. Probably Remington 700 shooters, truth be known.

I’ve seen some really poor shooting BACOs. Some copper fouled horribly. Rather than monkey around with them, send them back to Browning.

With this being said, not all of them are bad. I’ve had some early (2008) FN’s that shot exceptionally well.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Not to hijack the thread but I would love to take one of the shinier post ‘64 long action push-feed rifles and build it into a .284 Winchester. A nicer synthetic stock, 24” sporter tube with deep throat and a faster 1-7 or 1-8 twist. Put a good timney trigger set at 3 lbs and load the Hornady 162 and 175 grain ELDX out to 3.150-3.200” OAL. I have always felt like Winchester’s .284 would be just as if not more popular than the 7mm-08 if the ignorant sacks would’ve added it to the Model 70 lineup.

I bet that would be an accurate Model 70!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10Glocks, 22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,976
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.