Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Or at least heard from a barstool....

In any sort of reading about a certain subject, I tend to read as many sources as possible. Which is why I have too damn many books--and also tend to distrust anybody who claims XYZ book is the "best" or "only."

This has also been tempered by my own experience in several trips to Africa--along with that of several PHs I've hunted with, including the excellent author Kevin Thomas. This is partly because he published the book There's Something About Buffalo a few years ago, which is not only about his experiences but several other professional hunters (https://www.kevindthomas.com/. And Kevin's experience is not just as a PH, but as a culler on big ranch in what was then Rhodesia--and also a professional soldier, one of the original Selous Scouts. His latest book is about his experience as a "consultant" for the U.S. in Iraq.

A lot of Kevin's writing is far more relevant to hunting in today's Africa than older books, whether written by PHs or "visiting" hunters. But as is often said these days, whatever....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go to Abebooks.com and search for Oswald, Cummings, Harris, Akley, Baldwin, Hunter, Selous , Bell, Johnson, Patterson, Rosevelt and Africa, and then surf up additional references from those books.

Some of these folks were there long before LandRovers and modern cartridges were invented and mucked about for years.

Been filling my shelves for the last few years, and many of these are best read twice.

Capstick borrowed heavily from others who were around before his grand parents were born.

Several advise the continent was pretty well shot out by the late 1700's, but rinderpest was largely responsible for a lot of the decline.

When one gets to volumes drafted in the mid-1700's they can get expensive and may have to be sourced from Europe.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/10/23.

1Minute
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
"Hunter" was riveting and I dog-eared many pages with passages that I highlighted. I liked that he returned to Africa after feeling claustrophobic in Scotland. Kind of the opposite of what I believe WDM Bell ended up doing. I am reading "White Hunters" now and am about halfway through it. I'm consumed by these books, I have been neglecting my own handloading and shooting time at the gun club for weeks now! We did a "Women On Target" event a couple of Saturdays ago and I volunteered at that, but otherwise I have just been rushing home to sit outside at sunset and get lost in tales of the golden days of safari hunting. Last night I forced myself to shoot a Ruger Air Magnum pellet gun from my front porch for awhile just to get a little exercise for my trigger finger!

I'm so appreciative of you all for sharing your recommendations. I'm sure I will return to this thread many times for guidance on my future readings. I still have a good ways to go in "White Hunters" but I'm already thinking I want to read some Bell next. I like the Era before the automobile showed up better I think. Although the author that Mule Deer suggested looks very interesting, especially since I love reading about military special operations and history too. I watched a documentary on the Selous Scout's and I would like to learn more.

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." --Matthew 6:33 KJV

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." --Col Townsend Whelen
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
I would HIGHLY recommend " White Hunters" by Brian Herne

This!

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
"White Hunters" is awesome. I'm over halfway through it and I'm loving every page. I ordered a copy of Frederick Courtney Selous' "Wanderings Of An African Hunter" and a friend loaned me a copy of "The Man-Eaters Of Tsavo". I'm not sure which one I'll read next, but it will be one of those two.

Since I read the chapter in "White Hunters" on the silver screen I also watched the movies "King Solomon's Mines", "The Macomber Affair" and last night "The Snows Of Kilimanjaro". I like the classic movies so I thought they were all pretty good. I read "The Short Happy Life Of Francis Macomber" before I watched the movie and thought they did a good job of it.

I'm still wanting to read Bell and others, but the Selous book was so cheap I couldn't pass it up.

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." --Matthew 6:33 KJV

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." --Col Townsend Whelen
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by azsixshooter
"White Hunters" is awesome. I'm over halfway through it and I'm loving every page. I ordered a copy of Frederick Courtney Selous' "Wanderings Of An African Hunter" and a friend loaned me a copy of "The Man-Eaters Of Tsavo". I'm not sure which one I'll read next, but it will be one of those two.

Since I read the chapter in "White Hunters" on the silver screen I also watched the movies "King Solomon's Mines", "The Macomber Affair" and last night "The Snows Of Kilimanjaro". I like the classic movies so I thought they were all pretty good. I read "The Short Happy Life Of Francis Macomber" before I watched the movie and thought they did a good job of it.

I'm still wanting to read Bell and others, but the Selous book was so cheap I couldn't pass it up.
The one thing you quickly learn in White Hunters is that most of them met a tragic, sudden fate. I mean just look at the Cottars, dad gets it from a rhino, son is Cape Buff, and grandson is all but killed by a Buff

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Anything written by Boddington. It is mostly current, at least within the past 20 years. I love the old stuff but for a Nimrod headed to Africa, lots of stuff is way way way different than what it was even in the 1950s.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
A more modern book is “Tall Tales” by Buzz Charlton. Great African dangerous game stories sprinkled with some humor.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BulletBud
A more modern book is “Tall Tales” by Buzz Charlton. Great African dangerous game stories sprinkled with some humor.
Buzz Charlton has a reputation for dangerous game hunts and seems to be well respected. Sounds like an interesting book.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
It's been a few years since I wrote about my time with Capstick when he worked for Luangwa Safaris in Zambia. I can think of nothing new to add. I will repeat, he wrote a good story and never let the truth get in the way. He did catch a lot of the flavor of safari if not the facts of any particular day. And he was a nice guy at the time.

Well okay, one new story. After he had published several of his books I happened to run into him at his booth at an NRA convention. He was speechless and actually turned pale when he saw me. I was not there to embarrass him so just said "Hi," asked how he'd been and moved on.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Kambaku - by Harry Manners . Amazing story of an amazing individual , the setting is Portuguese East Africa, now Mozambique. Harry shot his first elephant as a teenager and used that experience to become a pioneer of safaris in Portuguese East Africa , land that was little hunted. He built his own roads and bridges to get to new hunting locations. He was a professional elephant hunter until 1953 when ivory hunting was closed in Mozambique , he went to become the first PH at Safarilandia and later served on the National Parks Board of SA. Tragic event at the end effects his personal life.

The Last Ivory Hunter , The Saga of Wally Johnson by Peter Capstick . Wally was a hunting partner of Harry Manners. So I recommend reading both books. Wally is one of the few people to survive the bite of a Gaboon Viper. Wally lost his home and all his possessions in the revolt in Mozambique . The photos in the book were supplied by his daughter who had moved to the US.

Lastly, anything by Robert Ruark. Horn of the Hunter is a good start .

Last edited by swaincreek; 07/08/23.
S
S
If interested, I have several numbered collector issues of Peter's limited edition books....personalized to me.
PM for details.
Best
Spike

Last edited by Spikefrb; 07/08/23. Reason: Misspell
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
After three chapters, I’m liking Thunder Without Rain by Thomas McIntyre pretty well. It’s sure not one that can be read quickly, not by me anyway; too much meat in his writing for that.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My favorites Aagaard’s Africa by Finn A and Horn of the Hunter by Ruark.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd imagine that if, the campfire members who had hunted Africa were to write a chapter each on their experiences...that would be a great read...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by RinB
My favorites Aagaard’s Africa by Finn A and Horn of the Hunter by Ruark.

Rick,

Have you read the later edition, which includes Berit's additions? They add considerable interesting info.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Selous and Baker, among others, can be found in e-form for free online. Some are OCR versions and full of errors and other annoyances, but the PDF scans are better, with the dog-eared, whiskey-stained pages “intact”. Only the musty, flea market smell is missing. Libravox.org is a good source, but there are others.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (10Glocks, 17CalFan, 160user, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,835
Posts18,478,075
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.