Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
T
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Chambering/bore size doesn't matter for [bleep].

Bullet construction though does, and makes all the distinction one would need.

This I suppose is the line of thought I was thinking on. Ill feel better about a 6x45 with a 85 grain Nosler partition for whitetail deer large & small, over a 30-06 shooting rubber bullets or a 110 grain V-Max.

In the zone between the far extremes, where chamberings can and will fill both roles, bullet manufacturers do a pretty fair job stating the intended purpose of any particular bullet.

Some bullets do well with both. The 6mm 85 grain TSX (not tipped), for example, has fed four 243's here and has done a stellar job with more whitetails than I care to count, turkey, coyote, and groundhogs. Excellent dual purpose bullet. One day when I get around to building one I'll find out how it does launched from an ultra featherweight 6x45.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I've shot plenty of Fallow deer with a 243 and a Sierra 85gn HPBT. The whole discussion often involves what you have in your hand when a target of opportunity Pops up. So if you're out after varmints and deer wanders into your arc of fire, it would be nice to know the bullet in your varmint rifle was up to the job. If it's a 220 Swift shooting a 40gn bullet at over 4,000fps, not a good idea. But the same rifle with a decent 55gn bullet, you may be tempted.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
The only place I hear the term”big game” is here or in other media stories.
Most people I hunt with just take up the gun they believe will get the job done, noting the critter, conditions, and expected shot.
Where I hunt this time of year the cow elk season is going and a .223 or .243 are the gun of choice. Either one placed behind the eye means zero waste and good eating. During bull season of course it’s different. The shots or expected to be as tight.
The same light calibers carry easy and works very well on coyotes, Fox, badgers, cats, and also dispatch busted up horses and cows.

The only serious breakdown of caliber designation for me is game versus dangerous game/stopping power. Some places a 30-30 or 35 Marlin is an excellent choice for deer in the bush, while 1/2 mile down the road a guy can stretch out a 25.06 or similar over a large clear cut or ag area.

Dangerous game, game, rimfire, and handgun hunting. Gun up accordingly.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
young lady in our deer hunting group used my 220 Swift Ruger #1 with my handloads bullet used was a Nosler Partition 60 gr. at around 3500 - 3600 FPS this little bullet worked great.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
I still can't identify a turkey as a big game critter.

That one always made me laugh as well. It's a bird ,customarily ground sluiced with a shotgun during mating season. How people get so worked up about it is wayyyy beyond me.

^This!

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Seafire
if ya wanna use a 458 Win mag on ground squirrels/ sage rats... feel free to... I don't think many folks would suddenly call that a varmint rifle.... If you can shoot crooked politicians with it, then you can call it a varmint rifle.

^And This!!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by TheKid
Mostly what steps in front of the rifle is what makes it a varmint or big game rifle.

I’ve never shot anything bigger than a mean old pig or ten with a 25gr .17 Remington or any smaller than a pesky pine squirrel with a 458Win.

Can’t honestly say I ever lost an animal because my rifle was too small or ruined one because it was too big.

Placement is KING

Yup. My varmint rig is usually whatever I have when I see a varmint.
If I had to pick, 243 win. 8 twist. All day.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Mostly what steps in front of the rifle is what makes it a varmint or big game rifle.

I’ve never shot anything bigger than a mean old pig or ten with a 25gr .17 Remington or any smaller than a pesky pine squirrel with a 458Win.

Can’t honestly say I ever lost an animal because my rifle was too small or ruined one because it was too big.

Placement is KING

Yup. My varmint rig is usually whatever I have when I see a varmint.
If I had to pick, 243 win. 8 twist. All day.

Good choice

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I would tend to think that any rifle chambered for the 14's, 17's, 19's or 20 cal. could be labeled as varmint rifles.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Well, when I originally brought up this subject the 6mm ARC as a deer cartridge & or duel purpose chambering with deer & coyotes in mind. No doubt some folks for whatever reason find a 6mm caliber insufficient for that task. If some find a 6mm caliber insufficient, I can only question how the cartridge is being implemented. Been a favored caliber for me for going on 40 plus years now with whitetail deer being my primary focus.

Select good hunting bullets; Make good shots at reasonable distances & reliable terminal results, are realised.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Seafire
Been following this thread, and after 3 pages, still have the same initial thoughts....

Why do we even differentiate between a big game rifle or a varmint rifle?

WE probably didn't come up with those terms. I would bet it's just another clever marketing ploy by the gun & ammo companies to sell more product.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Touching on this thread, for the first time in a while... been back home on the east coast for 6 or so weeks.

I took a deer this season with a 6 x 45, shooting a 95 grain Ballistic Tip, with 24 grains of powder, in a 1 in 7 twist barrel.

so would this be considered a varmint cartridge? or a deer cartridge? The deer was bang flop, but it was shot at 50 yds or less. Heart shot...

a few age rats shot with it, using a 70 grain TNT, or a 75 grain HP, blew those things apart and provided red mist, a lot better than the same cartridge in 22 caliber.

so once again, a caliber that either one.. depending on how you load it and what you are shooting with it.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
T
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Chambering/bore size doesn't matter for [bleep].

Bullet construction though does, and makes all the distinction one would need.

This I suppose is the line of thought I was thinking on. Ill feel better about a 6x45 with a 85 grain Nosler partition for whitetail deer large & small, over a 30-06 shooting rubber bullets or a 110 grain V-Max.

slow that vmax or a ballistic tip of that weight in an 06, down to say 2500 to 2600 fps MV. You'd be surprised how lethal they can be. have your MV in the speed a particular bullet functions in, and you'd be surprised what they can do..

Each bullet style has a window it functions best in...

At 100 yds, a 100 grain partition out of a 260 can pass thru a blacktail, before it opens up with an MV or 3300 fps MV.

Yet take a 90 grain Varmageddon bullet, out of a 260 with an MV of 2500 fps or so, at a 100 yds, and in the vitals, it will drop it like a sack of potatoes.

Ya learn alot about stuff like this, working with 12 and 13 yr old Boy Scouts, with their first rifle or their first hunt.

a 90 grain VG Nosler works real well for deer out of a 6.5 Grendel and its speeds. At least on blacktails.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
No expanding bullet passes through an animal before it has time to expand. That isn’t how hydraulics work.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
If you are shooting at big game it’s a big game rifle, at varmints, a Varmint rifle!

You couldn’t be wronger.

All this “shoot it with a rifle, it becomes what you shot with it” is still wrong. Killing a grizzly bear with a 22 makes 22 a big game rifle, is a crock. Certainly you can kill big game with a varmint cartridge, but that doesn’t change the cartridge, or its intended purpose.

The Campfire is full of people singing the virtues of a 223, fast twist and heavy bullets has become a big game cartridge, when it is still a varmint cartridge that has been modified and used to kill big game.

Arguing the use of a certain cartridge does not change what it is, it just describes what has been done with that cartridge…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SchitSmell,

You are an Amazingly CLUELESS Fhuqk and a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit to boot. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Bless your heart for trying so hard.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING1............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by hanco
If you are shooting at big game it’s a big game rifle, at varmints, a Varmint rifle!

You couldn’t be wronger.

All this “shoot it with a rifle, it becomes what you shot with it” is still wrong. Killing a grizzly bear with a 22 makes 22 a big game rifle, is a crock. Certainly you can kill big game with a varmint cartridge, but that doesn’t change the cartridge, or its intended purpose.

The Campfire is full of people singing the virtues of a 223, fast twist and heavy bullets has become a big game cartridge, when it is still a varmint cartridge that has been modified and used to kill big game.

Arguing the use of a certain cartridge does not change what it is, it just describes what has been done with that cartridge…
Actually, the 223 is a military cartridge known by another name. Are people small or big game?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
These 223 arguments always deteriorate to stupid, It doesn't take too much to kill a man if you don't care how humane you do it, just ask the boys in Chicago.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It doesn’t take much to kill an animal either. Put a 2” hole through his lungs and nothing will go far. Contrary to what Remington advertised a cartridge as back in the 60’s there are projectiles that can be and are loaded in 22 caliber cartridges that are fully capable of penetrating big game animals and leaving a substantial wound channel through their vital organs.

No animal can live with its heart/lung area scrambled. No animal knows or cares what cartridge did the scrambling. Starting diameter is probably the least important aspect of bullet performance.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It doesn’t take much to kill an animal either. Put a 2” hole through his lungs and nothing will go far. Contrary to what Remington advertised a cartridge as back in the 60’s there are projectiles that can be and are loaded in 22 caliber cartridges that are fully capable of penetrating big game animals and leaving a substantial wound channel through their vital organs.

No animal can live with its heart/lung area scrambled. No animal knows or cares what cartridge did the scrambling. Starting diameter is probably the least important aspect of bullet performance.

Pretty much my contention all along. A .223 will put a hole in a woodchuck you can stick your fist into. Put that same hole in the vitals of a deer and presto! You have venison.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (16penny, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.