-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve had one 375 H&H and still have a 375 H&H AI. I had a 416 Rigby and sold it when I realized I’m too old to Safari.

I like my 375H&H AI the best of the three, likely because the rifle fits me like a glove. The 416 gave me recoil headaches after about three rounds (Ruger 77). The 375 H&H I had, I think it was a Whitworth(??). The stock was evidently wrong and it went down the road before 20 rounds were fired. I’m afraid to say it hurt when I fired it.

My 375 H&H AI is a very nice pre-64. It’s recoil even with heavy loads is comfortable and I’ve shot tiny 5 shot groups with it. I’m sure that it’s capable for any game I’ll ever shoot. I suppose if I were to go to Africa and hunt hippo, elephant and cape, I’d look for something bigger, maybe the 416 Rem.

I think my 375 Whelen AI has it all over the 9.3x62.

If I were to buy a cartridge rifle in this category I’d be looking at stock fit and proper weight.

Last edited by Bugger; 07/13/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
If you can handle the recoil of a 375, you can handle a 416.

That might be your own experience, but is NOT the opinion of the PHs I've hunted with and know well. The majority would rather see a client show up with a .375 H&H than a .416--though some clients can handle a .416.

In fact, the PH I've hunted with most, now-retired Kevin Thomas, usually used a .375 to back up his buffalo clients. Kevin said he was frequently "seriously out-gunned" by his clients--but also ended up finishing off quite a few of their buffalo with his .375.

Kevin was not exactly inexperienced in killing Cape buffalo, having grown up in what was then Rhodesia, where his first job out of high school was as a "game ranger" who took tourists on walking tours in buffalo country. He killed his first charging buffalo not long after he started.

Later he also worked for one of the big Rhodesian cattle ranches, where one of his primary jobs was killing buffalo to make room for cattle. This was not done at night with head-shots, but by having them pushed by him by the ranch workers. I found this out when one evening around the campfire I asked Kevin what he considered the absolute minimum cartridge for Cape buffalo. He thought for a couple minutes, then said,
"The .30-06."

This was because he'd killed over 500 with the .30-06 and 180-grain Nosler Partitions, back when Partitions were lathe-turned had the "relief groove" around the partition. I then asked if he'd had any trouble with big bulls, especially on frontal shots. He said never.

But he knew how to shoot, and where to shoot 'em.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From what you stated in your initial post, you should get a 375. I think 375's have less recoil and are more pleasant to shoot. Will work great at the range and on bears/ elk.

I have owned 375's, 404's and both 416 Rem and Rigby.

Rigby gave me recoil headaches.
404 was fine, but went down the road. Did kill a buffalo with it.
375's were fine, shot some plains game and sold that one too.

All I have left is a Model 70 Classic in 416 Rem. It will stay, and go back to Africa if/when I go after buffalo again. 350gr TSX's at 2600 fps should work fine. I can shoot this rifle no problem. I have shot 50 plus rounds in day more than once. No recoil headaches, plus I really like the rifle. It fits me well and handles nice.

Arcus Venator
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

That might be your own experience, but is NOT the opinion of the PHs I've hunted with and know well. The majority would rather see a client show up with a .375 H&H than a .416--though some clients can handle a .416.

In fact, the PH I've hunted with most, now-retired Kevin Thomas, usually used a .375 to back up his buffalo clients. Kevin said he was frequently "seriously out-gunned" by his clients--but also ended up finishing off quite a few of their buffalo with his .375.

Kevin was not exactly inexperienced in killing Cape buffalo, having grown up in what was then Rhodesia, where his first job out of high school was as a "game ranger" who took tourists on walking tours in buffalo country. He killed his first charging buffalo not long after he started.

Later he also worked for one of the big Rhodesian cattle ranches, where one of his primary jobs was killing buffalo to make room for cattle. This was not done at night with head-shots, but by having them pushed by him by the ranch workers. I found this out when one evening around the campfire I asked Kevin what he considered the absolute minimum cartridge for Cape buffalo. He thought for a couple minutes, then said,
"The .30-06."

This was because he'd killed over 500 with the .30-06 and 180-grain Nosler Partitions, back when Partitions were lathe-turned had the "relief groove" around the partition. I then asked if he'd had any trouble with big bulls, especially on frontal shots. He said never.

There is no doubt, to me, that my 416 thumps a fair bit more than my 375 with both being pretty light for chambering.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If I was buying/building one “just because” I would probably go with the .375 simply because there are cheap (relatively) bullet options. Pretty hard to find .416 bullets that can compete price wise with the 270 Hornady at well under $1 per and the Speer closer to $0.50.

Last edited by MedRiver; 07/13/23.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
I really have no need for a medium/big bore but just want one just to have it. Only real use outside of fun at the range would be elk and black bears.

I’m leaning towards either a 375 H&H or 416 Remington but open to other thoughts. Mainly just looking to see what others would choose and why.

That would be a tough choice. I like .375's & .416's. I have 375 H&Hs, 375 Rugers, 416 Remingtons, and 416 Rugers. I use the Ruger cartridges almost exclusively for moose.

I am a sure the 375's give less calculated recoil in the same weight rifles. They usually send the same to higher bc bullets a bit faster. They seem to send the death message to moose that are hit in the vitals pretty dang quickly. As has the 338 Winchester.

I think visually the 416 hits a bit harder on target.

I went for a long time using my 375s, even though having a 416s. Then I began using the 416 and have used it more the past few years. Though for my purposes either will work very well. I will say I do not regret having both calibers. Both are fun, on the range, the field, and reloading bench.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm a BIG fan of the 375 H&H...and of the 416 Rigby (fully admitting the Remington version is far more practical). This past week I was at out place in PA and did a bit of testing with the 375 loaded with 300gr TSXs and Frames as well as the Rigby with 350 TSXs.

I have a 12" plates at 100 & 200 yards and one at 300. With the 350 TSX I could do everything that the 375 did only with a lot more power. If when I ever return to Africa for Buffalo/PG, my "light" rifle will be the 416 with 350 TSXs and my "just because I can" Buff rifle will be my 450NE Verney.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by ldmay375
[quote=MallardAddict]
I am a sure the 375's give less calculated recoil in the same weight rifles.

It's physics, the 416 will have more recoil, and more energy and frontal area, hitting harder in target.

The question to me is, at what point is one worth the other?

Being as close as they are, it's not a clear choice, hence a fun discussion. FWIW, I have a 375, and always think about a 404 Jeff or a 416 Rigby, neither of which I need.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi JorgeI,
Some years ago, after good success with the .308 and .338, I decided to skip the .375Mag entirely and use the .405 Win and .45-90 Win for all large and dangerous game. This was very successful in the USA and in Africa. The 45-90 also shoots 45-70 well and that was also a benefit that kept things simple.

Since the .405 turned out to be plenty of punch for Cape Buffalo, it should also be OK for larger game.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had both the 416 Rem and 375 H&H. The 416 was a Remington 700 and a viscous recoiler for me. The 375 kicks but not so much due somewhat to weight. It's time for the 375 to go now since I likely will never hunt with it again and there's nobody coming along in the family that would want it. For Washington elk, the 375 was just fine though totally unnecessary since a 257AI killed an elk just about asa quickly.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by CRS
From what you stated in your initial post, you should get a 375. I think 375's have less recoil and are more pleasant to shoot. Will work great at the range and on bears/ elk.

I have owned 375's, 404's and both 416 Rem and Rigby.

Rigby gave me recoil headaches.
404 was fine, but went down the road. Did kill a buffalo with it.
375's were fine, shot some plains game and sold that one too.

All I have left is a Model 70 Classic in 416 Rem. It will stay, and go back to Africa if/when I go after buffalo again. 350gr TSX's at 2600 fps should work fine. I can shoot this rifle no problem. I have shot 50 plus rounds in day more than once. No recoil headaches, plus I really like the rifle. It fits me well and handles nice.
Agree with .416 Rem.

I have a .375 H&H stainless classic cut to 21” and fluted. It has NECG irons, fiber optic front. It wears a Zeiss Victory 1.5-6x42 in QD rings.

I built a .404J on a .300 RUM M-70 stainless donor.

I worked up loads for good Bud’s .416 Rem M-70 that he killed a nice buff with.

Another bud killed a buff in Zim with his Ruger Safari Magnum .416 Rigby. PH said it was OK, just too heavy. He carried a PF M-70 .416 Rem.

Summary: My .404J went down the road, still have the .375. Bottom line, the winner, IMO, is the .416 Rem in a M-70.

DF

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by plumbum
Originally Posted by ldmay375
[quote=MallardAddict]
I am a sure the 375's give less calculated recoil in the same weight rifles.

It's physics, the 416 will have more recoil, and more energy and frontal area, hitting harder in target.

The question to me is, at what point is one worth the other?

Being as close as they are, it's not a clear choice, hence a fun discussion. FWIW, I have a 375, and always think about a 404 Jeff or a 416 Rigby, neither of which I need.

I am not sure of the balance/tipping point of one over the other. I do agree, the comparison can be a fun discussion.

For my use, I categorize my 375s as +338s and my 416s as -458s.

Jack O'Conner set a hook with the 416 Rigby, George Hoffman with the 416 Hoffman, Ross Seyfried and Phil Shoemaker with the 416 Remington. I resisted until Winchester came out with the 416 Remington in the M70 and that progressed into the 416 Ruger.

The 375 H&H bug was caught so long ago I don't recall the first written exposure. But this also led to the 375 Ruger.

Personally, I would grab a 416 for close quarters, larger animals with the potential to rearrange my body. Obviously the 375s have worked many times in those circumstances also.

For my moose hunting, I can flip a coin. My shots are under 250 yds and I like both. Two of my favorite rifles are 20" 375 & 416 Rugers.
To the nut cutting, I still prefer my 416 Ruger in the very limited visibility areas with grizzly/brown bear activity. I guess that is my mental tipping point. Though, I have not lost any sleep when with a 375 or 338. Not due to the cartridge choice anyways.

Pertaining to the original post:
General purpose cartridge for North American type game, between the 375's & 416's, my choice would be the 375 Ruger. The 250 & 270 grain bullets would be my choice. I like the Barnes 270 grain TSX & LRX.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwp475
In my opinion with mono metal bullets a 416 Remington with 350 grain bullets is as flat as the 375 with 270s and hits harder. The 416 all day over a 375

Exactly. I had my Model 70 375HH rebarreled by Mark Penrod to 416Rem. Definitely hits buffalo harder. I would use this rifle for a one gun safari in a heartbeat.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My 416 Rem M70 is at Karl Feldkamp's shop (30 miles away) as I type. He will be fluting the barrel to help balance with the loss of eight oz when I swapped to the McM magnum fill stock from factory. Still sorting the hunt...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Come to think of it, another friend of mine had a Ruger Tropical model (is this correct?) in 416Remington. A lightist rifle but pleasantly easy to fire - good stock design maybe? A CZ550 in 416Rigby just pips the felt recoil compared with same rifle in 458WM but it may have been 450gn vs 400gn when I tried it.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
What did you decide to get, MallardAddict?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
What did you decide to get, MallardAddict?

Still shopping rifles

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
I really have no need for a medium/big bore but just want one just to have it. Only real use outside of fun at the range would be elk and black bears.

I’m leaning towards either a 375 H&H or 416 Remington but open to other thoughts. Mainly just looking to see what others would choose and why.

I've used 9.3X62, 9,3X74R, 375 H&H, 375 Wby, and 416 Rigby. The 416 Rem and Rigby are ballistic twins.

The 9.3s and 375s are thumpers, but the 416 reaches Hammer status. Imo, the 416 is a significant step up.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"The .30-06."

I had plans to hunt buffalo with Kevin, but 9/11 knocked that in the head. He and I corresponded a bit, and he wanted me to use a 12/12/9.3X74R Simson drilling I owned back then. It had already taken a buffalo in Tanzania.

In the late 1980s I had an acquaintance who had worked for Rhodesia, culling elephants. He had used a circa 1970 Mdl 70 in 30-06. The really remarkable thing was he is an American who had gone to Rhodesia on a lark and loved the place. Doug was one of the most remarkable shots I've seen, especially with open sights. He sold me the Mdl 70, which I sold a few years later, having no use for a sixth '06.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

500 buffalo... wow! Voice of experience for sure.

The more I use the good ol' 30-06, the more I like it. However I've had so doggone much fun loading for, shooting, and hunting with that 375 you used to own... what a great rifle & cartridge. Critters killed with the 375 aren't any deader than the ones taken with the 30-06, but it is fun using that bigger cartridge. smile

Regards, Guy

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (10gaugemag, 22250rem, 160user, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 72 invisible), 2,721 guests, and 1,480 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,609
Posts18,492,450
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.