Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I really have no need for a medium/big bore but just want one just to have it. Only real use outside of fun at the range would be elk and black bears.

I’m leaning towards either a 375 H&H or 416 Remington but open to other thoughts. Mainly just looking to see what others would choose and why.

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
In my opinion with mono metal bullets a 416 Remington with 350 grain bullets is as flat as the 375 with 270s and hits harder. The 416 all day over a 375

Last edited by jwp475; 07/12/23.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My vote goes for the 375 H&H. It is a true classic and goes back to 1912. You can use it on deer sized game with no issues. I have taken a lot of game in Africa with it and have also used it in the USA for mule deer, elk and black bear. I have also shot a few rabbits and spruce grouse with a solid for the pot. In my opinion everybody should own at least one 375 H&H in their lifetime.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have owned two and it does nothing the 9.3x62 does with less fuss and bother.

The way life should be.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have and use for hunting a 9.3x62mm, .375 H&H, and a .400 Jeffrey #1.

The 9.3 M77 is 8.5 lbs all up, the H&H M70 is 9.5 lbs all up, and the #1 is 10.5 lbs all up. At those weights they are all sweethearts to carry & shoot in the field.

I pretty much stick with 300 gr. bullets with the 9.3, 350 gr. bullets with the H&H, and (obviously) 400 gr. bullets with the #1. However, I've been known to bring 'em all on PD shoots and will adjust bullet weights accordingly. Amongst the 3 I've taken black bear, elk, Cape Buffalo, and a bunch of plains game.

I acquired them over a span of almost 25 years because they are interesting cartridges. The 9.3 was bought last, and if I had a do-over, and with the acquired hindsight, the practical side of me would cart around the 9.3. With that cartridge I'd just go forth and slay big game around the world without a whole lot of fuss.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
IC B2

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bluefish

Agreed. I have a CZ 550 American in 9.3 and love it. But the OP didn't ask about the 9.3.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My vote goes to the H&H as it’s a bit more versatile! If all shots will be of short to moderate ranges, or large dangerous game is on the menu …..the the .416 would be my choice!

With a competent gunsmith and a few hundred bucks, the H&H can be very easily converted to the AI or Weatherby versions and transform the H&H into a pretty darn good long range (well 700 to 800 yard) cartridge! Brass is usually available, the fire forming is as easy as pulling the trigger, and modern high BC bullets will make it pretty formidable at longer ranges ….And it still works great at short range! What’s not to like?

I’m presently running Barnes 250 grain TTSX’s in my AI @ 3130 mv, while giving me sub 2” 3 shot groups @ 300 yards! I will be building a load this summer with the Barnes 270 grain LRX….hoping for an accurate 3000+ mv! My only hunting rifle since February of 1990! 😉 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 07/12/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I vote 416. Can load for plains game and dangerous game.

A friend of mine did a trip to Africa and used the 416Rigby on plains game. He didn't get the opportunity for dangerous game but had the loads and set-up for the same rifle to do so. I think the 375 may be the legal minimum but the 416 gives a bit more confidence. American big game is not quite the same thing though.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I'm shooting the 350 grain Speer at 2757 FPS and the 350 grain TSX at 2715 FPS. This is like a 270ngrain 385 H&H with a heavier larger diameter bullet.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by jwp475

I'm shooting the 350 grain Speer at 2757 FPS and the 350 grain TSX at 2715 FPS. This is like a 270ngrain 385 H&H with a heavier larger diameter bullet.

Yeah, that's nothing to sneeze at. I forget exactly what my mate used for plains game but think it was similar. He's also got 450gn loads intended for the dangerous game.

I've clocked my 375H&H 270gn loads at about 2,850ft/sec out of a 26" barrel (CZ550), BTW.

Well?
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
80 grains of CFE223 Federal 215 primer and 270 TSX give me 2806 FPS from my 375 H&H

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you can handle the recoil of a 375, you can handle a 416. Other than Nostalgia, I can't see anything a 375 does better than a 416. 416 has the same trajectory and will create larger wound channels with the same penetration.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
I really have no need for a medium/big bore but just want one just to have it.

This is the precise reason I have a .375 H&H. I simply wanted a classic caliber even if other rifles I owned were adequate for the hunting I was intending to do. I like the energy that medium/big bore rifles deliver & I think they're versatile for a variety of game when many people only consider them for DG situations. In some of the locations I hunt, I would prefer to use "too much gun" than to do "too much tracking".

Mainly just looking to see what others would choose and why.

I would choose the .375 H&H again for one reason that many people would consider stupid: The .375 H&H is a classic that's more than adequate for anything I will ever encounter and the .416 Remington is too "new". I will confess to letting a certain amount of nostalgia drive my caliber selections. If the choices had been .375 H&H vs .416 Rigby, then that would have given me pause as I would have had to consider whether I wanted a companion to my .275 Rigby which I really like hunting with. But I would never try to convince anyone else that my choices are superior ones. I buy what makes me happy and reasonable people could point out legitimate flaws in my selection process.

Originally Posted by MAC
But the OP didn't ask about the 9.3.

But unrelated tangents are one of the bonus features of being on the 'Fire. I love my 9.3x74r!

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Buy both.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by bluefish

Agreed. I have a CZ 550 American in 9.3 and love it. But the OP didn't ask about the 9.3.

This is not your first post. C'mon man! I am the thread drift which invariably infects every topic on the 'fire. Just starting early!

The way life should be.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
No answer can be fully justifiable unless a book is written on it, and even then there must be a bunch of qualifiers! And then, each one who responds has their own preferences and opinions, even those who have never owned either!

But based solely on the OP's suggested impulse for choosing one or the other, I'd suggest the .375 H&H because, in my opinion, it is more versatile and perhaps easier to get along with than a .416 Rem or Rigby in recoil, weight and bullet selection. If a .416 Ruger was included in this discussion, then I might relent due to the handiness of a 20" barrel in tight quarters.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Bob

Do you see the 416 Ruger having legs longterm in the marketplace? Right now the 416RM is practically like an 06 in terms of general acceptance and availability.

The way life should be.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by CZ550
No answer can be fully justifiable unless a book is written on it, and even then there must be a bunch of qualifiers! And then, each one who responds has their own preferences and opinions, even those who have never owned either!

But based solely on the OP's suggested impulse for choosing one or the other, I'd suggest the .375 H&H because, in my opinion, it is more versatile and perhaps easier to get along with than a .416 Rem or Rigby in recoil, weight and bullet selection. If a .416 Ruger was included in this discussion, then I might relent due to the handiness of a 20" barrel in tight quarters.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

No way is a 375 H&H more versatile than a 416 Remington loaded with 350 TSX at 2715 FPS. That is a flat shooting hard hitter

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have both (M70's) and chose the 416 for a mixed bag hunt in Zimbabwe. I used the 350 gr TSX on game from a serval to buffalo shooting from 50 yards (serval) to 250 yards (kudu). My PH carried a 416 Rigby. Once he saw that I could shoot the rifle he was happy that I brought the 416.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
So⁸me obvious observations. I've e owned a couple 416Taylors, 375 H&H's, and 9.3x62 and x74's.
They are all devastating on deer and ground hogs. The bigger the case and the heavier and faster the bullet, the harder they kiss. The better the stock fits, the more pleasant the kiss. All shoot cast bullets well and can be a lot of fun at the range. I found that over time, I tended to shoot lighter recoiling loads more than full house.
416's with heavy loads can give you the jingles after about 20 rounds.
When you're looking, one will catch your eye and feel good in your hand, take it home. If you're not happy with it, send it down the road. There are lots of used guns out there and they are making new ones. The anticipation and search can be almost as much fun as buying.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve had one 375 H&H and still have a 375 H&H AI. I had a 416 Rigby and sold it when I realized I’m too old to Safari.

I like my 375H&H AI the best of the three, likely because the rifle fits me like a glove. The 416 gave me recoil headaches after about three rounds (Ruger 77). The 375 H&H I had, I think it was a Whitworth(??). The stock was evidently wrong and it went down the road before 20 rounds were fired. I’m afraid to say it hurt when I fired it.

My 375 H&H AI is a very nice pre-64. It’s recoil even with heavy loads is comfortable and I’ve shot tiny 5 shot groups with it. I’m sure that it’s capable for any game I’ll ever shoot. I suppose if I were to go to Africa and hunt hippo, elephant and cape, I’d look for something bigger, maybe the 416 Rem.

I think my 375 Whelen AI has it all over the 9.3x62.

If I were to buy a cartridge rifle in this category I’d be looking at stock fit and proper weight.

Last edited by Bugger; 07/13/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
If you can handle the recoil of a 375, you can handle a 416.

That might be your own experience, but is NOT the opinion of the PHs I've hunted with and know well. The majority would rather see a client show up with a .375 H&H than a .416--though some clients can handle a .416.

In fact, the PH I've hunted with most, now-retired Kevin Thomas, usually used a .375 to back up his buffalo clients. Kevin said he was frequently "seriously out-gunned" by his clients--but also ended up finishing off quite a few of their buffalo with his .375.

Kevin was not exactly inexperienced in killing Cape buffalo, having grown up in what was then Rhodesia, where his first job out of high school was as a "game ranger" who took tourists on walking tours in buffalo country. He killed his first charging buffalo not long after he started.

Later he also worked for one of the big Rhodesian cattle ranches, where one of his primary jobs was killing buffalo to make room for cattle. This was not done at night with head-shots, but by having them pushed by him by the ranch workers. I found this out when one evening around the campfire I asked Kevin what he considered the absolute minimum cartridge for Cape buffalo. He thought for a couple minutes, then said,
"The .30-06."

This was because he'd killed over 500 with the .30-06 and 180-grain Nosler Partitions, back when Partitions were lathe-turned had the "relief groove" around the partition. I then asked if he'd had any trouble with big bulls, especially on frontal shots. He said never.

But he knew how to shoot, and where to shoot 'em.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From what you stated in your initial post, you should get a 375. I think 375's have less recoil and are more pleasant to shoot. Will work great at the range and on bears/ elk.

I have owned 375's, 404's and both 416 Rem and Rigby.

Rigby gave me recoil headaches.
404 was fine, but went down the road. Did kill a buffalo with it.
375's were fine, shot some plains game and sold that one too.

All I have left is a Model 70 Classic in 416 Rem. It will stay, and go back to Africa if/when I go after buffalo again. 350gr TSX's at 2600 fps should work fine. I can shoot this rifle no problem. I have shot 50 plus rounds in day more than once. No recoil headaches, plus I really like the rifle. It fits me well and handles nice.

Arcus Venator
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

That might be your own experience, but is NOT the opinion of the PHs I've hunted with and know well. The majority would rather see a client show up with a .375 H&H than a .416--though some clients can handle a .416.

In fact, the PH I've hunted with most, now-retired Kevin Thomas, usually used a .375 to back up his buffalo clients. Kevin said he was frequently "seriously out-gunned" by his clients--but also ended up finishing off quite a few of their buffalo with his .375.

Kevin was not exactly inexperienced in killing Cape buffalo, having grown up in what was then Rhodesia, where his first job out of high school was as a "game ranger" who took tourists on walking tours in buffalo country. He killed his first charging buffalo not long after he started.

Later he also worked for one of the big Rhodesian cattle ranches, where one of his primary jobs was killing buffalo to make room for cattle. This was not done at night with head-shots, but by having them pushed by him by the ranch workers. I found this out when one evening around the campfire I asked Kevin what he considered the absolute minimum cartridge for Cape buffalo. He thought for a couple minutes, then said,
"The .30-06."

This was because he'd killed over 500 with the .30-06 and 180-grain Nosler Partitions, back when Partitions were lathe-turned had the "relief groove" around the partition. I then asked if he'd had any trouble with big bulls, especially on frontal shots. He said never.

There is no doubt, to me, that my 416 thumps a fair bit more than my 375 with both being pretty light for chambering.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If I was buying/building one “just because” I would probably go with the .375 simply because there are cheap (relatively) bullet options. Pretty hard to find .416 bullets that can compete price wise with the 270 Hornady at well under $1 per and the Speer closer to $0.50.

Last edited by MedRiver; 07/13/23.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I really have no need for a medium/big bore but just want one just to have it. Only real use outside of fun at the range would be elk and black bears.

I’m leaning towards either a 375 H&H or 416 Remington but open to other thoughts. Mainly just looking to see what others would choose and why.

That would be a tough choice. I like .375's & .416's. I have 375 H&Hs, 375 Rugers, 416 Remingtons, and 416 Rugers. I use the Ruger cartridges almost exclusively for moose.

I am a sure the 375's give less calculated recoil in the same weight rifles. They usually send the same to higher bc bullets a bit faster. They seem to send the death message to moose that are hit in the vitals pretty dang quickly. As has the 338 Winchester.

I think visually the 416 hits a bit harder on target.

I went for a long time using my 375s, even though having a 416s. Then I began using the 416 and have used it more the past few years. Though for my purposes either will work very well. I will say I do not regret having both calibers. Both are fun, on the range, the field, and reloading bench.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm a BIG fan of the 375 H&H...and of the 416 Rigby (fully admitting the Remington version is far more practical). This past week I was at out place in PA and did a bit of testing with the 375 loaded with 300gr TSXs and Frames as well as the Rigby with 350 TSXs.

I have a 12" plates at 100 & 200 yards and one at 300. With the 350 TSX I could do everything that the 375 did only with a lot more power. If when I ever return to Africa for Buffalo/PG, my "light" rifle will be the 416 with 350 TSXs and my "just because I can" Buff rifle will be my 450NE Verney.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by ldmay375
[quote=MallardAddict]
I am a sure the 375's give less calculated recoil in the same weight rifles.

It's physics, the 416 will have more recoil, and more energy and frontal area, hitting harder in target.

The question to me is, at what point is one worth the other?

Being as close as they are, it's not a clear choice, hence a fun discussion. FWIW, I have a 375, and always think about a 404 Jeff or a 416 Rigby, neither of which I need.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi JorgeI,
Some years ago, after good success with the .308 and .338, I decided to skip the .375Mag entirely and use the .405 Win and .45-90 Win for all large and dangerous game. This was very successful in the USA and in Africa. The 45-90 also shoots 45-70 well and that was also a benefit that kept things simple.

Since the .405 turned out to be plenty of punch for Cape Buffalo, it should also be OK for larger game.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had both the 416 Rem and 375 H&H. The 416 was a Remington 700 and a viscous recoiler for me. The 375 kicks but not so much due somewhat to weight. It's time for the 375 to go now since I likely will never hunt with it again and there's nobody coming along in the family that would want it. For Washington elk, the 375 was just fine though totally unnecessary since a 257AI killed an elk just about asa quickly.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by CRS
From what you stated in your initial post, you should get a 375. I think 375's have less recoil and are more pleasant to shoot. Will work great at the range and on bears/ elk.

I have owned 375's, 404's and both 416 Rem and Rigby.

Rigby gave me recoil headaches.
404 was fine, but went down the road. Did kill a buffalo with it.
375's were fine, shot some plains game and sold that one too.

All I have left is a Model 70 Classic in 416 Rem. It will stay, and go back to Africa if/when I go after buffalo again. 350gr TSX's at 2600 fps should work fine. I can shoot this rifle no problem. I have shot 50 plus rounds in day more than once. No recoil headaches, plus I really like the rifle. It fits me well and handles nice.
Agree with .416 Rem.

I have a .375 H&H stainless classic cut to 21” and fluted. It has NECG irons, fiber optic front. It wears a Zeiss Victory 1.5-6x42 in QD rings.

I built a .404J on a .300 RUM M-70 stainless donor.

I worked up loads for good Bud’s .416 Rem M-70 that he killed a nice buff with.

Another bud killed a buff in Zim with his Ruger Safari Magnum .416 Rigby. PH said it was OK, just too heavy. He carried a PF M-70 .416 Rem.

Summary: My .404J went down the road, still have the .375. Bottom line, the winner, IMO, is the .416 Rem in a M-70.

DF

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by plumbum
Originally Posted by ldmay375
[quote=MallardAddict]
I am a sure the 375's give less calculated recoil in the same weight rifles.

It's physics, the 416 will have more recoil, and more energy and frontal area, hitting harder in target.

The question to me is, at what point is one worth the other?

Being as close as they are, it's not a clear choice, hence a fun discussion. FWIW, I have a 375, and always think about a 404 Jeff or a 416 Rigby, neither of which I need.

I am not sure of the balance/tipping point of one over the other. I do agree, the comparison can be a fun discussion.

For my use, I categorize my 375s as +338s and my 416s as -458s.

Jack O'Conner set a hook with the 416 Rigby, George Hoffman with the 416 Hoffman, Ross Seyfried and Phil Shoemaker with the 416 Remington. I resisted until Winchester came out with the 416 Remington in the M70 and that progressed into the 416 Ruger.

The 375 H&H bug was caught so long ago I don't recall the first written exposure. But this also led to the 375 Ruger.

Personally, I would grab a 416 for close quarters, larger animals with the potential to rearrange my body. Obviously the 375s have worked many times in those circumstances also.

For my moose hunting, I can flip a coin. My shots are under 250 yds and I like both. Two of my favorite rifles are 20" 375 & 416 Rugers.
To the nut cutting, I still prefer my 416 Ruger in the very limited visibility areas with grizzly/brown bear activity. I guess that is my mental tipping point. Though, I have not lost any sleep when with a 375 or 338. Not due to the cartridge choice anyways.

Pertaining to the original post:
General purpose cartridge for North American type game, between the 375's & 416's, my choice would be the 375 Ruger. The 250 & 270 grain bullets would be my choice. I like the Barnes 270 grain TSX & LRX.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my opinion with mono metal bullets a 416 Remington with 350 grain bullets is as flat as the 375 with 270s and hits harder. The 416 all day over a 375

Exactly. I had my Model 70 375HH rebarreled by Mark Penrod to 416Rem. Definitely hits buffalo harder. I would use this rifle for a one gun safari in a heartbeat.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My 416 Rem M70 is at Karl Feldkamp's shop (30 miles away) as I type. He will be fluting the barrel to help balance with the loss of eight oz when I swapped to the McM magnum fill stock from factory. Still sorting the hunt...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Come to think of it, another friend of mine had a Ruger Tropical model (is this correct?) in 416Remington. A lightist rifle but pleasantly easy to fire - good stock design maybe? A CZ550 in 416Rigby just pips the felt recoil compared with same rifle in 458WM but it may have been 450gn vs 400gn when I tried it.

Well?
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
What did you decide to get, MallardAddict?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
What did you decide to get, MallardAddict?

Still shopping rifles

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've used 9.3X62, 9,3X74R, 375 H&H, 375 Wby, and 416 Rigby. The 416 Rem and Rigby are ballistic twins.

The 9.3s and 375s are thumpers, but the 416 reaches Hammer status. Imo, the 416 is a significant step up.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"The .30-06."

I had plans to hunt buffalo with Kevin, but 9/11 knocked that in the head. He and I corresponded a bit, and he wanted me to use a 12/12/9.3X74R Simson drilling I owned back then. It had already taken a buffalo in Tanzania.

In the late 1980s I had an acquaintance who had worked for Rhodesia, culling elephants. He had used a circa 1970 Mdl 70 in 30-06. The really remarkable thing was he is an American who had gone to Rhodesia on a lark and loved the place. Doug was one of the most remarkable shots I've seen, especially with open sights. He sold me the Mdl 70, which I sold a few years later, having no use for a sixth '06.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

500 buffalo... wow! Voice of experience for sure.

The more I use the good ol' 30-06, the more I like it. However I've had so doggone much fun loading for, shooting, and hunting with that 375 you used to own... what a great rifle & cartridge. Critters killed with the 375 aren't any deader than the ones taken with the 30-06, but it is fun using that bigger cartridge. smile

Regards, Guy

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Both have there place for sure but obviously the .416 is a much better choice if having to be used as a stopper. As long as recoil isn’t a major issue the .416 gets my vote as a do all. I took my .416 Rigby to Zambia last October and used it from impala to buff. There is no such thing as too much gun.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Guy,

Glad you're still enjoying the No. 1 .375!

Probably have told you this before, but the one buffalo I shot with it was a big Botswana bull at around 65-70 yards, and the bullet the 300-grain Fail Safe at 2650 fps. It exited, leaving a hole the size of my fist--and we also found one "petal" on the edge of the hole.

Also used that rifle on "plains game" from impala to kudu on the same safari, though with 300-grain Nosler Partitions, which also worked just fine. Also used it on my first cull hunt in South Africa a year earlier, partly to "field" other bullets. But our group could also take "trophy" animals if we paid the standard fee--and took my biggest gemsbok bull, in both horn and body size. It was a very lucky rifle (I believe in them!) and it seems to have worked the same way for you.

Best,
John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Seems to me this is maybe more of a question about the shopper (buyer) than it is about a cartridge or rifle.

Historic/nostalgia oriented? 9.3x62 Mauser, .375 H&H, .416 Rigby, maybe .404 Jeffery...

Modern and/or efficiency oriented? .375 Ruger, .416 Ruger, maybe .416 Remington...

And then there's recoil tolerance and carrying issues. Light rifle for carrying, not so great for recoil... and vice versa.

And then there's the rifle itself. Some may be attracted to an historic (or even modern) M70, but there are boatloads of actions out there with varying pros and cons.

Elk and black bears don't really need all that much, although they can make a good excuse to shop on heavier rifles. smile

For a "what others would choose" answer, especially for non-horse elk hunts (as we did), I'd go with a lightweight rifle chambered for .264 or above. Or even .25, maybe. That probably doesn't help, though... and what I actually carried at the time was a .338 or a .348... which probably also doesn't help much...

-Chris

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Have a couple of hunting friends that go Buff hunting in Africa a couple of times, every year. They started with 375s and switched to the 416s after the first trip, been using the 416s evr since. So I asked or PH in RSA what he thought about the two cartridges in comparison. He said if you can hold your fire or crawl up, to get close enough, then place the shot exactly, the 375 is effective enough.
Later over a cold libation, I asked if he meant to stick the muzzle in their ear, he said, exactly.

If you want to try that on a big Buff, I will watch.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This thread has become a contest, or perhaps a comparison, over which of the two is "better" for African DG, which I don't think was the original intention by the OP. Limited to African DG, perhaps the .416 IS technically the better choice, but for the rest of the world for a one-rifle safari? I seriously doubt it! If I were going to Alaska for a big brownie or moose, if I already had a .375 H&H I wouldn't go out and buy a .416 Whatever for more assurance.... If I wanted to use a .416 out of curiosity, and didn't care about the wasted $$$, sure, why not? But for better results? That's nonsense! Perhaps for a guide who may need to do some nasty followups, I'd not disagree, but surely the .375 H&H under all circumstances has established a stirling reputation in Alaska as well as the rest of the world. Dead is dead!

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 07/21/23.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Rapier
Have a couple of hunting friends that go Buff hunting in Africa a couple of times, every year. They started with 375s and switched to the 416s after the first trip, been using the 416s evr since. So I asked or PH in RSA what he thought about the two cartridges in comparison. He said if you can hold your fire or crawl up, to get close enough, then place the shot exactly, the 375 is effective enough.
Later over a cold libation, I asked if he meant to stick the muzzle in their ear, he said, exactly.

If you want to try that on a big Buff, I will watch.

Always good to hear one PH's opinion--which in my experience, and those of the several PH's I've hunted with is BS.

Several of the PHs I've hunted with think the .375 is plenty--and with chest shots, not "ear" shots. There's also a long list of PH's who've spent their entire career using the .375 as their back-up rifle for buffalo, and long before today's list of "premium" bullets.

But whatever you (or he) wants to believe....

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Just watched Jim Shockey's Shock Therapy show. He and another fellow who worked for Jim said they didn't like the .375 H&H for big dangerous game like buffalo. You could see and hear the disgust coming from them when talking about this cartridge. This is the direct opposite of what people like Boddington and Mule Deer and others have said. It is interesting how people's experiences are different.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To each his own!

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I'm in the same situation of O/P Mallard re "need for either 375 or 416 as 'not'. Also here, a closet 'Bambi hugger'. But I've owned both a eighties era Sako 375 in full stock @ 20" Barrel and a Win 70 416 Classic about '94 vintage. Both rifles unpleasant recoil though the hearing protectors definitely go to the Sako. I don't handload but for decades I did pay attention to ammo availability and cost. Nowadays ammo is an "investment" and last time I checked the .375 was a bit less expensive and considerably more available. Can't say, Pandemic era plus, but in all the info/details I don't see much mention of either factor which is significant for many folks with these heavy chamberings. In a world today of high & unpredictably higher inflation, the kind of range/plinking time I used to do, 10 rounds downrange at $200-$400+ dollars, a deterrence and to extent possible a single 'buck a round dollar advantage, something to which I'd pay attention. Add that in my heyday collecting/shooting era, reloading dies & supplies for scores of different chamberings also wasn't worth while!
Just my take as strongly paying attention to fellow member here, perhaps not paying close attention to ballistics, etc.
Just my take!
Best!
John

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by iskra
I'm in the same situation of O/P Mallard re "need for either 375 or 416 as 'not'. Also here, a closet 'Bambi hugger'. But I've owned both a eighties era Sako 375 in full stock @ 20" Barrel and a Win 70 416 Classic about '94 vintage. Both rifles unpleasant recoil though the hearing protectors definitely go to the Sako. I don't handload but for decades I did pay attention to ammo availability and cost. Nowadays ammo is an "investment" and last time I checked the .375 was a bit less expensive and considerably more available. Can't say, Pandemic era plus, but in all the info/details I don't see much mention of either factor which is significant for many folks with these heavy chamberings. In a world today of high & unpredictably higher inflation, the kind of range/plinking time I used to do, 10 rounds downrange at $200-$400+ dollars, a deterrence and to extent possible a single 'buck a round dollar advantage, something to which I'd pay attention. Add that in my heyday collecting/shooting era, reloading dies & supplies for scores of different chamberings also wasn't worth while!
Just my take as strongly paying attention to fellow member here, perhaps not paying close attention to ballistics, etc.
Just my take!
Best!
John

I’m a pretty dim bulb, but I have no idea what point you are making.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Just watched Jim Shockey's Shock Therapy show. He and another fellow who worked for Jim said they didn't like the .375 H&H for big dangerous game like buffalo. You could see and hear the disgust coming from them when talking about this cartridge. This is the direct opposite of what people like Boddington and Mule Deer and others have said. It is interesting how people's experiences are different.

When watching TV personalities dump on the 'ol H&H I'm thinking "cool, that means more 300 grain A-Frames for me..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sort of like what the ‘bs’ one reads such as: “What are the ten best cartridges for deer hunting?” — “Opinions are like arse-holes. Everyone has got one.”
I won’t agree with most on what’s the ten best cartridges for deer hunting. Certainly not if I’m discussing these cartridges with someone who hunts in the swamps or the thick woods or possibly with the hunters that only hunt the mountains.

I’d like to have a 416 Remington, I’d probably put a suppressor on it. But truth be told, I’d mostly just shoot hard cast bullets in it.
I have a 375 Whelen AI and a 375 H&H AI so I guess a 375 H&H fits in between those two. My future holds less need for the 416 than the 375. Truth be told every year the need for a 375 is less, but the want might be permanent.
If I were protecting clients who were hunting elephants my pick might likely be in favor of a 416..

“Opinions are like arse-holes, everyone has one!”

Also, they may likely have a reason for their opinion.

Last edited by Bugger; 07/24/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Puddle

When watching TV personalities dump on the 'ol H&H I'm thinking "cool, that means more 300 grain A-Frames for me..."

One thing I have noticed since hunting/magazines have declined in numbers and circulation, and videos/TV show/YouTube have increased is that there's more schidt-stirring. Now, magazines used to run some SS articles, to get more "eyes on the page" (as the term used to be back then), but SS stuff tends to have quicker results these days.

Though not always, depending on who watches the stuff.....

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yes, but Shockey has done a lot of hunting and has received high praise from people on this site. I love my .375 for it accuracy alone since I have yet to shoot anything with it.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
One plainsgame hunting trip I decided to have some fun and brought 2 rifles, both launching A-Frames. One a .30-06 and the other the H&H. I think it was 180 grain vs. 270 grain IIRC...

Since both were the same basic action with the same trigger pull and safety and scope setup I would simply switch off between them each day. Pretty hard to screw up taking the wrong ammo between an '06 and the H&H. After 10 days or so it turns out I shot all the big stuff with the '06 and all the small stuff with the H&H. Just luck of the draw each day...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Something that I failed to mention earlier …..I use the H&H or a variation thereof for all of my hunting in NA. I believe that the .375 H&H will make a better “all around” than the .416! JMO memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What was the quote from our esteemed resident PH Mr. JJ Hack..........................The 375 is the most effective cartridge for the investment in recoil you will find. or something close to that. YMMV

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by memtb
Something that I failed to mention earlier …..I use the H&H or a variation thereof for all of my hunting in NA. I believe that the .375 H&H will make a better “all around” than the .416! JMO memtb

How is the 375 H&H a better all round than the 416 Remington?

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Lets start with a 210 gr X at 3000 fps, that shoots as flat as a 180 06'.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I’ll speak in generals here…..H&H develops recoil that most anyone (unless they have physical issues) can easily handle, the .375’s are also slightly heavier helping mitigate felt recoil, ammunition is a bit more available and a bit less expensive, and the H&H seems (at least to me) to be a bit more practical for everyday use on small (Whitetails, Pronghorns, ect.) game up to and through dangerous big game, and lastly…..the 375 H&H shoots slightly flatter than the .416 REM with a 350 grain bullet.

You can go lighter than 350 grains with the 416 and increase velocity whereby flattening the trajectory……but, that can be always done with the H&H as well! 🤔😉 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 07/24/23.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I have 350 grain spear loaded to 2757 FPS and 350 grain TSX loaded to 2715 FPS (both loads are with PP 2000MR) I'm not sure the 375 H&H can shoot flatter than that. My 416 is an Interarms Whitworth that is stocked perfectly for me and is very shootable for me.

I also own a Whitworth in 375 H&H and can't see where the 375 H&H can equal the the 416 for any purpose.

I have loaded the 300 grain Hammer bullet to 3000 FPS and the 375 can push a 250 grain to the same speed.

In my opinion for a 1 gun Safari the 416 is head and shoulders the better choice.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You “may” be right, especially if that “one gun safari” is in Africa…..my “ one gun Safari” I here in NA.

Plus I cheat a little bit….my .375 will be pushing 270 LRX’s a bit over 3K mv, if my load development comes to fruition! That should make it a pretty good “all around” performer even if I have to stretch it out to around 600 yards! I suspect that, while the .416 REM is a darn good cartridge……it may come up a bit short in that aspect! memtb

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the interesting things about this conversation is that many tend to ignore the long record of the .375 as a dangerous-game round. There's plenty of information out there, from professionals who USED it as their primary round, either for commercial hunting or back-up on dangerous game--even long before we had so many wonder-bullets.

Among those sources I would list the books by African PHs and sometimes market hunters. The older ones would include John Taylor's African Rifles & Cartridges, and Harry Manner's Kambaku. Manners hunted both commercially for ivory and meat for decades before becoming a PH later in life, using a Winchester Model 70 with Winchester factory solids for buffalo, rhino and elephant--and of course a lot of other game.

He preferred the then Winchester solid--with a gilding metal jacket--to "softs" because it tended to expand some, which some hunters think is a sin, especially since monolithic flat-noses appeared. Manners found it penetrated and expanded more reliably than existing "softs" back then.

I also heard this same opinion on my first African safari 30 years ago, from a long-time "control" hunter and PH born and raised in what was then Rhodesia, who killed hundreds of big animals (mostly buffalo, but not all) with Winchester's gilding-metal solids. He called them "wizard," due to their combination of expansion and penetration.

There are also more contemporary writers, such as Finn Aagaard, who not only used his Winchester M70 .375 for personal buffalo hunting, but as back-up on buffalo hunts--or loaned it to clients. He never found it to fail--and his widow Berit used it to take both Cape and water buffalo with no problems while hunting in Africa and Australia with her second husband, the late Bill Pace. And Berit's success came with slightly loaded-down 300-grain handloads that Bill put together, at around 2400 fps.

The PH I've hunted with most, the now-retired Kevin Thomas (who was also born and raised in Rhodesia, and did a lot of buffalo culling back then) is a .375 fan as well. His book There's Something About Buffalo contains not only chapters by him on the subject of buffalo rifles, but some of his contemporary PHs as well. None of them bad-mouth the .375 H&H.

Then there's Craig Boddington, who's probably taken more Cape buffalo than any American gun writer. In one of his Safari Rifle books, Craig says he considers it "marginal" for buffalo--but on the "right" side of the margin. He's killed bulls cleanly with the 300-grain Sierra GameKing--which isn't his top choice as a buffalo bullet, but worked very well for broadside shots in herds, killing quickly but not exiting and possibly wounding another buffalo.

I would bet that between all those guys they have far more experience with the .375 on dangerous game than Jim Shockey and his buddy. I also know Jim, and years ago hunted with him in his black bear camp at the northern end of Vancouver Island. He obviously has plenty of hunting experience--but I sincerely doubt he and his associate have nearly the experience with the .375 H&H on dangerous game as the hunters listed above.

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Don't ya reckon the old .375 H&H has killed more DG over the years (with a 76 yr. head start) than the .416 Rem. The .416 Rigby was introduced in 1911 and for sure has whacked it's share.

I don't hunt DG, but reload DG ammo for one bud, the other loads his own. Those two like and use .416's, which seem to be getting more and more popular for DG.

I have a .375 H&H. Seems the 250 TTSX has some ballistic advantage over the more popular 270 gr. TSX. But, the 270 TSX has such a good track record over the years, guess it's hard to displace.

Quoting a sage from the cold North, "It's the boolet more than the head stamp".

One bud killed a nice buff in Zim with his .416 Rigby Ruger Safari Magnum. One 400 gr. TSX did the trick but the buff traveled a good ways. As I've posted before, his PH thought that gun was too heavy, carried a well worn PF M-70 in .416 Rem. Not as cool as the RSM, but at least to him, more practical.

Another bud killed a buff in S.A. with his PF M-70 .416 Rem. His PH recommended the 400 gr. SAF, so that's what he used, He hit that buff three times (all fatal hits), piled him up in sight before he could run very far. So, guess the old PF M-70, in the right hands, can be cycled pretty slick and fast.

People get fixated on a bullet that works, which I understand. But, the Loony in me, I'd be looking at some of the newer bullets, like Cutting Edge and Hammer, just to see how they'd work. Not sure I wouldn't take my .375 H&H, loaded right. To me the .416 Rem isn't harder to shoot than the .375 H&H. They both kick. I use a standing bench, which helps.

I kinda like the idea it's the "boolet" more than the head stamp. Of course, how well the shooter performs is a key factor.

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My 416 Rem M70 was purpose built years ago for at least one buffalo hunt. It has done that well and will likely do it again. My SS 375 H&H M70 was purpose bought for at least one brown bear hunt. It has done that though unsuccessfully. It will try again in Alaska next year.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
If bigger didn't have some advantage then Phil Shoemaker wouldn't use a 458 win mag

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
jwp,

Phil uses his .458 as a "stopper" when following up brown bears wounded by clients. That's a different thing than hunting brown bears.

He willingly guides brown bear hunters who use FAR lighter cartridges, as long as they use deep-penetrating bullets, including the .270 Winchester and .30-06 Springfield. That's because he's guided too many brown bear hunters who are "over-gunned," or over-excitable, so don't put the bullet in the right place.

He does NOT advise his clients to bring a .458.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
jwp,

Phil uses his .458 as a "stopper" when following up brown bears wounded by clients. That's a different thing than hunting brown bears.

He willingly guides brown bear hunters who use FAR lighter cartridges, as long as they use deep-penetrating bullets, including the .270 Winchester and .30-06 Springfield. That's because he's guided too many brown bear hunters who are "over-gunned," or over-excitable, so don't put the bullet in the right place.

He does NOT advise his clients to bring a .458.

I.understand that. Which validates my point " bigger hits harder" I also realize that Cape Buffalo have been and still can be taken with small bore rifles like the 7 mauser as well as others

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jwp,

Phil has posted and published magazine articles about all this many times--including that he firmly believes bullet placement is the major factor in "killing power."

He does NOT use his .458 exclusively as back-up on brown bears, as he's a long-time experimenter. Over the decades he's used a number of cartridges from the .30-06 to .505 Gibbs. His definition of a "stopping" round is not a cartridge that immediately drops charging animals, all the time, but one that even if it doesn't immediately kill them right there, stuns them enough to shoot again before they "recover." Which is why he decided the .505 was too much--he couldn't recover from the recoil quickly enough to shoot temporarily stopped bears before the bears started coming again. Having fired a .505 myself I can understand why. (Oh, and he's also killed a charging, mature brown bear with a 9mm handgun--partly because he could keep shooting it very quickly.)

But this discussion is about the .375 H&H and .416 Remington. Of course the .416 "hits harder" though I am also convinced that more recoil and the louder sound of the bullet hitting game have as much to do with how hunters perceive "hitting harder" as how the animal reacts.

But it also hits hunters harder--which is why so many of the PHs I know firmly believe in the .375 H&H for their clients: It kills buffalo very well if the bullet land in the right place, which in their experience happens more often with the .375 than harder-kicking cartridges. And many of them use the .375 as a back-up rifle themselves, partly because they can shoot repeat shots faster and more accurately if needed.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Jwp,

Phil has posted and published magazine articles about all this many times--including that he firmly believes bullet placement is the major factor in "killing power."

He does NOT use his .458 exclusively as back-up on brown bears, as he's a long-time experimenter. Over the decades he's used a number of cartridges from the .30-06 to .505 Gibbs. His definition of a "stopping" round is not a cartridge that immediately drops charging animals, all the time, but one that even if it doesn't immediately kill them right there, stuns them enough to shoot again before they "recover." Which is why he decided the .505 was too much--he couldn't recover from the recoil quickly enough to shoot temporarily stopped bears before the bears started coming again. Having fired a .505 myself I can understand why. (Oh, and he's also killed a charging, mature brown bear with a 9mm handgun--partly because he could keep shooting it very quickly.)

But this discussion is about the .375 H&H and .416 Remington. Of course the .416 "hits harder" though I am also convinced that more recoil and the louder sound of the bullet hitting game have as much to do with how hunters perceive "hitting harder" as how the animal reacts.

But it also hits hunters harder--which is why so many of the PHs I know firmly believe in the .375 H&H for their clients: It kills buffalo very well if the bullet land in the right place, which in their experience happens more often with the .375 than harder-kicking cartridges. And many of them use the .375 as a back-up rifle themselves, partly because they can shoot repeat shots faster and more accurately if needed.

I realize all of this as I have read it from Phil.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
When I had hopes to go to Africa I wanted to take my 2 pre 64s along. One in .300 H&H for general game and the other in .375 H&H for Cape Buffalo. It just surprised me that Shockey had such a low opinion of the .375. What is also interesting is Shockey used muzzleloaders on the same animals without vocal complaint that he condemns the .375 for.

Since I will never be able to match the hunting experiences of Boddington, Barsness and Shockey I need to rely on their expertise to pick and choose what to use.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Jwp,

jwp475, I don’t think that everyone is “ganging-up” against the .416…..it’s a great cartridge!

However, I and apparently many others, see the .375 H&H as a bit more flexible as an “all around”, for the average hunter/shooter ….especially those of average means that do not do not handload! memtb

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Jwp,

Through many hunts and switching sticks with others I've learned what my limits are - .400J @ ~2,100 and the .404J @ ~2,200, both weighing 10 - 10.5 lbs all up. Really just as easy to hunt with as the H&H IMHO. Just love those two cartridges. The problem is those two are pretty much NOT off-the-rack rifles - one in a double and the other a turnbolt.

I went down the rabbit hole one time with a builder costing out a .404J build and what I learned was I could have one hell of a good time somewhere in Africa for the price of that rifle.

Of course, there's always the chance my son could decide to quit college...

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Jwp,

jwp475, I don’t think that everyone is “ganging-up” against the .416…..it’s a great cartridge!

However, I and apparently many others, see the .375 H&H as a bit more flexible as an “all around”, for the average hunter/shooter ….especially those of average means that do not do not handload! memtb

I am fully aware that the 375 H&H has and still can take buffalo effectively. I am also aware that buffalo can be taken cleanly with smaller bore rifles and even handguns.

My statement that the 416 hits harder isn't subjective it is, fact. I have no idea why anyone wants to argue that point
The 458 hits harder than a 416

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jwp,

Did you read this in my post?--"Of course the .416 'hits harder'..."

But in my experience that doesn't mean it always kills buffalo any quicker than the .375 H&H, especially with typical heart-lung shots. Which is also my experience with a lot of smaller cartridges on big game smaller than buffalo.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Jwp,

Did you read this in my post?--"Of course the .416 'hits harder'..."

But in my experience that doesn't mean it always kills buffalo any quicker than the .375 H&H, especially with typical heart-lung shots. Which is also my experience with a lot of smaller cartridges on big game smaller than buffalo.

I didn't say it kills quicker with heart and lung shots as I know it doesn't.
I've taken Asian Buffalo and Bison with a revolver. I know that a 475 or 500 hits harder than a 44 and I've seen them taken with 475, 500 and 44

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Puddle,

Another fine round in the class of the .404 Jeffery is the .450/.400 Nitro Express, which also recoils similarly to the .375. In fact I almost bought a nice double in .450/.400 maybe 15 years ago, after I'd tried it out--but came to the same conclusion: I could go on another safari for that kind of money. Which is what I did....

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Before I began hunting buffalo I was convinced that one of the 416’s was needed. Then I started shootings them with a 375 H&H. Hit in the right place a buffalo usually runs and then keels over, kaput. They run away because they are usually found in the presence of other buffaloes which always run away upon hearing a shot.

Now, after shooting many buffalo I have concluded the 416’s (and bigger) are an obstacle to marksmanship. A well placed first shot is the most important thing.

Incidentally, in many of the tv shows I have watched, the hunters take pretty marginal first shots.

Last edited by RinB; 07/25/23.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
MD,
My friend.
The Campfire is filled with opinions that are not supported by any experience.
A closed mind can’t understand the importance of the phrase “I don’t know.”
R

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Quote from OP!

I’m leaning towards either a 375 H&H or 416 Remington but open to other thoughts. Mainly just looking to see what others would choose and why.😙😉
Jwp,

I am fully aware that the 375 H&H has and still can take buffalo effectively. I am also aware that buffalo can be taken cleanly with smaller bore rifles and even handguns.

My statement that the 416 hits harder isn't subjective it is, fact. I have no idea why anyone wants to argue that point

jwp475, At the top of this post is a quote from the OP!

He was merely asking for opinions as to what and why! He didn’t ask which would hit harder! And, without reading through all of these posts, I suspect that “no one” suggested or stated that the .375 H&H will “hit harder”!

The OP also stated that it may be used for Black Bear and/or elk……putting down one of Africa’s Big Five wasn’t on the agenda!

So essentially, IMO…..your issues are unfounded! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 07/25/23.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Quote from OP!

I’m leaning towards either a 375 H&H or 416 Remington but open to other thoughts. Mainly just looking to see what others would choose and why.😙😉
Jwp,

jwp475, At the top of this post is a quote from the OP!

He was merely asking for opinions as to what and why! He didn’t ask which would hit harder! And, without reading through all of these posts, I suspect that “no one” suggested or stated that the .375 H&H will “hit harder”!

The OP also stated that it may be used for Black Bear and/or elk……putting down one of Africa’s Big Five wasn’t on the agenda!

So essentially, IMO…..your issues are unfounded! memtb

I have a 375 H&H and find my 416 just as shootable, because it fits me very well.
What issues do you think I have? What is it that make you and others think the 375 H&H is versatile?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I was fairly detailed in “my” reasoning in a prior post!

I will reiterate ….the .416 is a great cartridge, but I feel that the .375 H&H better answers the OP’s desires based “only” on the information given! memtb

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I was fairly detailed in “my” reasoning in a prior post!

I will reiterate ….the .416 is a great cartridge, but I feel that the .375 H&H better answers the OP’s desires based “only” on the information given! memtb

I think the 416 fits the OP criteria just as well as a 375 H&H

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
From Buffalo Bore

"moose, I’d not use the solids but would fill my rifle only with these TSX expanding loads.

We were able to engineer this load to be full power +, but not to exceed factory (SAAMI) pressure limits. You’ll note that my test gun, which was made to my specs almost 30 years ago, only has a 20-inch barrel as I designed this rifle to be more of a guiding and handy take everywhere rifle than a hunting rifle. Depending on barrel internals, longer barrels will probably give higher velocities…….this is a good place to read my article on “Velocity Versus Barrel Length.”

Dangerous Game ammo is best designed to be lower pressure to ensure that unfavorable conditions (such as hiking in a rainstorm in AK and getting rainwater in your barrel, etc.) will not raise pressure enough to hinder the reliability of proper cartridge and rifle function. Cartridge pressure can be your enemy, so keep it low as possible without affecting velocity, which is all about proper powder and bullet selection."

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=575

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
416 Remington 97 grains 2000MR under 350 grain Speer 2757FPS

93 Grains 2000MR under 350 TSX 2715 FPS

96 gr. Power Pro Varmint, 300 gr. Shock Hammer 3001 FPS

All are chronographed velocities and all grouped under 1 MOA at 100 yards

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will reiterate ….the .416 is a great cartridge, but I feel that the .375 H&H better answers the OP’s desires based “only” on the information given!

I think y'all are right: The OP should buy both. wink

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Puddle,

Another fine round in the class of the .404 Jeffery is the .450/.400 Nitro Express, which also recoils similarly to the .375. In fact I almost bought a nice double in .450/.400 maybe 15 years ago, after I'd tried it out--but came to the same conclusion: I could go on another safari for that kind of money. Which is what I did....

Yea, I just got tired of saying ".450/.400 NE 3 inch" and just refer to it as the .400J (Jeffery). I got to use a Manton built .400J on a hunt and ended up wanting one of my own ever since.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The .400 S. Jeffery was actually the first ever "Nitro Express" done in 1897 as a single-shot Farquharson
a few months before Rigby got the .450 S. Rigby to survive proof in a set of double rifle barrels.
Later renamed respectively the .450/.400 Nitro Express 3" and .450 Nitro Express 3.25".
I think Rigby did the heavy lifting and Jeffery got a jump on him by industrial espionage.

Anyway, I first went to Africa with both a .375 H&H and a .416 Rigby.
Could not split that baby so I came up with the .395/.375 H&H and .395/.416 Rigby 20-degree-shoulder,
.395/.338 Lapua Magnum, .395/.375 Ruger, and .395/9.3x74mm,
the latter known as the .400 Nitro Express Aboriginal, like the Purdey .400 Light Rifle Express that might have been an inspiration for Rigby and Jeffery.
The .395/.416 Rigby was called the .395 Tatanka, and killed well in Africa,
one shot on everything it was pointed at, up to zebra size,
except one warthog gutshot in the brush requiring a finisher.

I tried using a caliber midway between .375 and .416,
but I still could not split the baby.
Actually all three performed about the same.

So I just moved on to the .458 Winchester Magnum with high-BC, monometal copper, 404-gr bullets at 2500 fps.
And I shall never look back at the rat calibers.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by odonata
I will reiterate ….the .416 is a great cartridge, but I feel that the .375 H&H better answers the OP’s desires based “only” on the information given!

I think y'all are right: The OP should buy both. wink

Yep! Which is exactly what I did, more than once--along with a .416 Rigby, which when loaded to "traditional" pressures is the same basic thing as the .416 Remington. Though the Rigby can also be safely heated up to .416 Weatherby velocities.

But the .375 is versatile enough that I've used it both as the "heavy" and "light" rifle on safaris.

Another more obscure advantage of the .375 is that just about every PH has some spare ammo, usually left behind by clients. That's generally not true of the .416s, and in fact on one my early safaris the PH told a story about how a recent safari client had brought a .416 Remington--with one 20-round box of ammo. Exactly why he didn't say, but between hunting and checking the scope occasionally the guy ran out before the end of the safari. The closest store that had any was a 120-mile drive, one way--and when they got there the ammo cost more than twice as much a box as the guy had paid in the U.S. Plus he lost a day of hunting.

If he'd had a .375 the PH could have supplied plenty of ammo--partly because his main backup rifle was a .375 H&H.

Oh, and on that safari I brought a .375 as my only rifle--but had enough ammo.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I won’t argue one way or the other. On my recent trip to Zambia our PH’s loved the 375, and the 270 for plains game. However, they said most Americans bring 300’s for plains game, and I was shooting a 300wsm. We shot a .416 Rigby for buff, and youll never hear me say it won’t work. My first shot was broadside at about 100 yards, and the buff turned and ran. He layed down with 30 yards. I thought my 2nd shot was a cluster f&$k u til they skinned the buff. I couldn’t understand why I hit him so far back, until ai realized how much if a racking shot it was. The .416 is no joke. It drove a 400gr TSX midway through the stomach, way through the boiler. The big hole is from the bullet.

Attached Images
IMG_3408.jpeg (17.11 KB, 344 downloads)
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I ended up buying the stainless win 70 .375 listed here last weekend.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Congratulations on the rifle. I am sure you will be plenty satisfied.
If not, those rifles make a great platform for the 416 Remington.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My Ed Brown LH 416 Rem should be here soon. Got a can coming as well. My options were limited and I thought I got a good deal. Lots of great info on this thread. Now to figure out ammo and see what my father has left over. He's got one as well. Figured if my boy wants to go DG hunting we could share the same ammo if he uses my dad's gun.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Based on what the OP described I'd say a .375 is more appropriate. It sounds like he's not planning on hunting in Africa and a .375 has more than enough power for anything in North America. In addition, although I've never shot a .416, most people who have say they recoil considerably more than a .375. The ballistic recoil calculators say the same thing.

I find my CZ 550 .375 H&H quite pleasant to shoot, which makes it easier to shoot accurately. And a .375 can shoot pretty flat with 250-270 grain bullets so it can be useful where shots run longer.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bowmanh
Based on what the OP described I'd say a .375 is more appropriate. It sounds like he's not planning on hunting in Africa and a .375 has more than enough power for anything in North America. In addition, although I've never shot a .416, most people who have say they recoil considerably more than a .375. The ballistic recoil calculators say the same thing.

I find my CZ 550 .375 H&H quite pleasant to shoot, which makes it easier to shoot accurately. And a .375 can shoot pretty flat with 250-270 grain bullets so it can be useful where shots run longer.
The .416 does kick more, but not a lot of difference if the .375 is shooting heavier bullets at full speed.

I use a standing bench for big boomers per Elmer’s advice. The .416 does jump such that you need to be holding onto it. But I didn’t find it objectionable, was able to shoot some good groups.

Those big guns seem to be pretty accurate generally.

DF

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Indeed I ended up with a stainless model 70 that is currently at Kampfelds getting bedded into a Bansner stock.

Somehow I also had a 1979 vintage ruger 458 WM follow me home. Not sure why I bought it but will play with it a while. Still thinking I want a 416 Rem just because.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Indeed I ended up with a stainless model 70 that is currently at Kampfelds getting bedded into a Bansner stock.

Somehow I also had a 1979 vintage ruger 458 WM follow me home. Not sure why I bought it but will play with it a while. Still thinking I want a 416 Rem just because.

Same here MA. Have a P64 375 in a Legend and a M70 Classic 458 and still have an itch for the 416 myself.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by beretzs

Same here MA. Have a P64 375 in a Legend and a M70 Classic 458 and still have an itch for the 416 myself.
I like the Legend. Here's a .404J I built on a 300 RUM, SS M-70 action. And, of course, never shoot the donor... I didn't.

D'Arcy is easy to work with. Some say magnum fill is the way to go. D'Arcy said std. fill would work with that round, but did suggest pins thru the stock.

I Steel Bedded it and D'Arcy was right.

To me, the .404J is an interesting round, but I'd go .416 Rem now, looking back on it. The .416 case will be easier to feed, you won't need a RUM action to accommodate the fatter .404J round.

Here's a link to my .404J build. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7846376/3

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For plinking and general hunting a 375 H&H is perfect. If you hike in areas with bear a 416 RM is entry level into stopping cartridges.
In WA, 416 or heavier would be my choice.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Some of this schitt is hilarious!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Very hilarious!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Why isn't the 375 Ruger in the selection mix?

Can run the 375 Ruger on a standard "long" action for a shorter stroke. Don't need the longer "magnum" length action for the 375 H&H.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by buttstock
Why isn't the 375 Ruger in the selection mix? Maybe it hasn't'achieved "classic" status? (and the 416 Rem mag has?).

Can run the 375 Ruger (and 458 Win mag if you want another option) on a standard "long" action. Don't need the longer "magnum" length action for the 375 H&H.

But, you didn't ask about the 375 Ruger. I get it. Just my 2c, I just don't like belted cases. whistle

I would guess partly because the .375 H&H has been around so long it's easy to find brass and ammo. In fact just every dangerous-game PH I've known in Africa has a good supply of .375 H&H ammo, whether factory or handloads, left behind by clients.

Another factor might be that the .375 Ruger only gets about 100 fps more than the H&H. This is about as much velocity as the .375 Ruger loses in the first 45 yards with a typical 300-grain spitzer. It's difficult to see any difference in the field--and yes, I have seen the .375 Ruger in action.

Another factor is there are quite a few "standard long actions" that work fine with the .375 H&H, including the Remington 700.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My FN 375 H&H is a greatly lightened standard length action rifle, built by an old Reno gunsmith my dad knew many years ago. I knew of the rifle and blundered into it at a local auction ten years ago. Nobody knew that it was a 375, and it went cheap. It had no chambering designation. It had been used extensively as an elk rifle for years. I've put around 60 rounds through it. The old Kollmorgan Bear Cub 4X is still bright and clear.

As to the 375 vs 416, I killed buffalo with the 416 Rigby (same velocities as the 416 Rem) and with a 9,3X74R. Had I the funds to do it again I would take one of my 375 H&H rifles, this one pictured and a pre-war Mdl 70.

Even with the radical lightening and years of use it's still properly headspaced and slick chambering.

Photos of when I took it apart. I found this:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by luv2safari
My FN 375 H&H is a greatly lightened standard length action rifle, built by an old Reno gunsmith my dad knew many years ago. I knew of the rifle and blundered into it at a local auction ten years ago. Nobody knew that it was a 375, and it went cheap. It had no chambering designation. It had been used extensively as an elk rifle for years. I've put around 60 rounds through it. The old Kollmorgan Bear Cub 4X is still bright and clear.

As to the 375 vs 416, I killed buffalo with the 416 Rigby (same velocities as the 416 Rem) and with a 9,3X74R. Had I the funds to do it again I would take one of my 375 H&H rifles, this one pictured and a pre-war Mdl 70.

Even with the radical lightening and years of use it's still properly headspaced and slick chambering.

Photos of when I took it apart. I found this:

Cool old rifle. Looks like the mg box was lengthened entirely at the front end for the .375. My 8x68S is like that. Clean work.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Very nice rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
8X68S is a honking round! It's the long version of the 325 WSM. cool cool

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hadn't thought of it that way, but you are correct. 😃

I'm using brass I bought from Buffalo Arms that is reformed from 300 Ultra cases.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
[quote=buttstock]Why isn't the 375 Ruger in the selection mix? ...

MD/JB, your points are certainly valid, and I agree with them. My reply was based more on the issue that it may be easier for the OP to find a 375 Ruger to fill his itch for some "shoulder jolt fun at the range" with a .375-.416 bang stick, and he was open to other thoughts. He wasn't planning on going to Africa (as per his post). I don't think an elk or black bear would notice much difference between a 375 Ruger, 375 H&H or 416 Rem. Does the 375 Ruger have the same history as the 375 H&H, no. Does the bullet come out the muzzle about the same from each? Yes. An itch can be scratched multiple ways.

OP's comment:
"...but just want one just to have it. Only real use outside of fun at the range would be elk and black bears.
...I’m leaning towards either a 375 H&H or 416 Remington but open to other thoughts."

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It a been a while since we had a good ol’ 30-06 or 270 type thread!

In my opinion, which has no basis in experience, I’d pick the 416. Simply because if I’m going bigger than something based off an 06 case, I’d just as soon go .40 +. Not that I think one will do much of anything the other won’t given similar shot placement and projectiles.

Since Phil Shoemaker was brought up, what does his daughter use as a do all rifle? Pretty sure she uses it on everything from goats to moose, and of course bear.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

Let's see here, long list, More versatile, can be loaded down for deer or smaller, big enough to crush anything on the planet, bigger bullet selection, easier to find brass, easier to find ammo, more popular, loaded in a larger variety of rifles, and on and on and on..........

Forget the past the past is gone forever, right now is where it's happening.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bonecrusher338

Let's see here, long list, More versatile, can be loaded down for deer or smaller, big enough to crush anything on the planet, bigger bullet selection, easier to find brass, easier to find ammo, more popular, loaded in a larger variety of rifles, and on and on and on..........

None of your claims are valid. I have the 300 gr. Hammer bullet loaded to 3000 FPS, the 350 TSX loaded to 2715 FPS.
THE 375 H&H can only do 3000 FPS with a 250 grain bullet.

I have 400 gr. TSX bullets doing 2450 FPS.

The 375 is not more versatile and can not hit game as hard as the 416 Remington can

416 Remington cases can be fire formed from 375 H&H cases

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

None of your claims are valid. I have the 300 gr. Hammer bullet loaded to 3000 FPS, the 350 TSX loaded to 2715 FPS.

The 375 is not more versatile and can not hit game as hard as the 416 Remington can

Your saying the 416 is more popular, and easier to find ammo for than the 375? Ya, OK lol.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Your saying the 416 is more popular, and easier to find ammo for than the 375? Ya, OK lol.

I didn't say that at all. I never committed on popularity in any shape or form

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

I didn't say that at all. I never committed on popularity in any shape or form

You said "None of my claims were valid", then you went off on how the 416 hits harder and so on. I have to hand it to you, you're loyal to the 416. Almost as much as I am to the .338, which by the way is better than both of them........

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Having M70s chambered in both cartridges and having used both in the field, I'd have to agree that the .375 H&H is the more commonly available one. Definitely easier to find in Africa should you lose your ammo than the .416. My Dad's bag with his 375 ammo in it didn't arrive when he went to Africa and it was easy enough to locate enough ammo to hunt with. I took my .416 Rem as my heavy, which is what my PH used as well. I can't say my PH begged me, but he hinted strongly that he sure would like for me to leave him my reloads when I left, which I did. Reason being, it was tough for him to find ammo to feed his .416. I have a great affinity for my .416. I think I shoot it better than most other rifles, so I would always take it when in Africa. I'd love to take it to Alaska, but know what that environment would do to that beautiful rifle. So, when I head up north, I take my S/S .375 H&H for bears. I don't really consider the 416 to be a bruiser compared to the 375, but it does have slightly more recoil. But, as most everyone knows, it's more in how your rifle fits you as to whether the recoil will be a problem or not. With the M70 Safari Express, that stock seems to fit me just right and the recoil is not objectionable. At least not for up to 10 rounds in a range session. More than that and the recoil does start to affect me.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've owned 375 H&H in CZ and Winchester M70. I've owned 375 Ruger in the Ruger hawkeye. I've owned 416 Rigby in CZ. I've owned 416 Remington in the Winchester M70. I've owned 458 Win Mag in the Winchester M70. I've owned 458 Lott in the CZ.

Guess which one I still have. 416 Rem in the Winchester M70.

I don't know why people think the 416 recoils so much more than the 375 H&H. To me the jump from 338 win mag to 375 H&H was a bigger jump in recoil than from 375 H&H to the 416's. When I first tried the 416s, My thought was, "wow this really doesn't kick much more than the 375." When I jumped to the 458 is when recoil actually got uncomfortable and was a big jump in recoil. Going from a 375 to 416 is like going from a 270 to 30-06 in recoil.

Both calibers are great calibers, but nothing penetrates like a 416. I have found my sweet load of 350gn TSX at 2650fps. It shoots as flat as a 308 and can be used from squirl to buffalo with this 1 load. I give the nod to the 416 as slightly better performance but the 375 is still damn good.

For the original poster, you picked a great starting caliber to get into big bores. The 375 H&H ammo is widely available and sometime the only available big bore caliber in many North American shops. For reloading, it is slightly cheaper to reload than the 416 and brass and bullets are easier to find.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Both, though i dont have a 416 Remington, but a 400 H&H, the 375 with 300gr AFrames and Partitions at 2680 and 300gr BBW#13 solids at 2700 and 400 H&H with 400gr AFrames and BBW#13 solids at 2400, both have their place, i used the 400 in Tanzania as my light rifle, plains game from Leopard to Zebra at 77 to 287 yards were easilly taken with one shot each, i will admit hits with the 375 would have been easier with less concern for 'exact' range calcs due to drops, cant think of a reason on that hunt that the 375 wouldn't have done just as well.

IMHO You cant go wrong with your choices.

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 204guy, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,460 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,608
Posts18,492,399
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.