Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
For my Tracker 800sx the dealer suggest TRACKER OFF ROAD High-Temperature Formula ATV/UTV Full-Synthetic Oil utilizes a heavier-viscosity formula of the original, proven, synthetic 4-cycle oil.

Claims their oil is specially oil for UTV engines,

what are you using?

Ted
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm surprised no one has responded to this. Almost everywhere oil brands, change intervals, DIY vs. shops run pretty hot and 10 pages at least. 0w-40 seems extreme if you aren't in a polar region. I get the 40, my motocross bike runs 10w-50 and to use the recommended ester based synthetic is $22 a quart.m I don't run an ester syn anymore and save $6-7 a quart. It does add up changing oil every 10 hours. I suppose you could run any 0w-40 synthetic to save a few bucks at oil change time but you know the old saying, oil is cheaper than a new motor.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
When under warranty I use the manufactures recommended oils and filters. If your Tracker is like our Polaris in regards to oil recomended, I would just use their. Our Honda and Suzuki ATVs give better discriptions in the manuals on requirements. Things like JASO MA / MA2 requirements, weights and such. Things like the JASO MA/MA2 are a must for wet clutch operation. In our 4 wheelers, I use Honda 0W30 Semi-synthetic in the winter. I plow snow with the 4 wheeler. The Honda Rancher transmision performed well with it and both the Suzuki and Honda start easy and run great. I changed over to 10w40 when the temps start getting in the 50s. I started using 10w40 Mobile 1 Motorcycle oil rated MA/MA2 in the 4 wheeler, from Walmart because of cost and easy to get when I am there. The Honda Rancher shifted better with Honda oil so that's what I used in it before trading it in on this new King Quad. Bottom line make sure to use oil that meet or exceeds the manufactures specs. It will be on the container and marked it has been certified. The last time I looked Valvoline UTV/ATV oil does not show it is MA/MA2 certified so if you don't use the factory oil becareful. A lot of people say they use Rotella, but I never found where it had the certification I was looking for.

A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Amsoil atv/utv oil.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
PleaseTell me what certification is missing from Rotella

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've used the Mobil 1 0w40 in my 3 different Polaris Rangers going back to 2011, changed once a year, so around 1200 miles per change. I buy it in the 5 quart jug at Wally World, each jug does 2 changes.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Not a UTV, but in both my Honda four wheelers I use Shell Rotella 15W-40. It doesn't have the "energy conserving" certification which indicates the wetting agents that'll make the clutches slip. They've been running it a long time, if it wasn't great oil they'd be dead by now.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I generally use T4 or T5 Rotella 15W-40 in my various diesel equipment, including a Kubota RTV.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I am not saying Rotella won't work or there is anything wrong using it. There are many comments online in different forums stating how good it works. What I have not found is a rating for gasoline engine such as SG or SJ and an oil identification code for the JASO MA/MA2 rating. There is a website that has current JASO certified oils and you can use it to see if an oil you want to use has actually been certified with them. I imagine if a company makes an oil that meets those requirements but chose not going through the process with JASO could still say it meets the required data. Since I didn't use Rotella in anything I didn't see much reason to use it over Honda, Suzuki, or Polaris oil other than saving a few bucks. The problem now days there are to many choices and 2 much info on the internet. I can remember working at the Ford dealer in the 70s and if you used Standard Oil (AMACO now) it voided your warrant. A lot of farmers used it around here. I say use what works for you. Vehicle manufacture contract out to the oil companies just like they do for paint. Heck, the Suzuki dealer where I bought my new Kingquad didn't even carry Suzuki oils.

A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Apparently you didnt look at the image. it answers your question about all those certs

IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
You might read it one more time. Unless the original post was asking for oil that met certification for diesel application that label neither mention gasoline engines or show API SJ to current or past categories. Nor does it say what JASO ID" it is certified. I don't care if you use Marvel Magic Mystery oil. I do feel a person should be aware that some oils are bad for wet clutch applications, and what to look for and understand on the label should they choose not to use the manufactures oil.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Update to LeeC & OP. I was in Walmart today and made a trip back to automotive. The 1 gallon jug of Rotella T6 15w40 has a different label that the one posted here. Front has images of a motorcycle, passenger vehicle and HD Equipment and back label has SN listed last after CH along with the JASO MA/MA2 as the one posted. The bigger jug the stock does not have the SN listed and neither did the lighter weight T6. So, I agree and think it looks good to go. I think for some reason I read in a post a long time ago it used to be on the label but was taken off a people were concerned the formula had changed that were using it in their Goldwings. I also looked through the owners manual for the Tracker ATVs and it did not give specs for cross-reference to other oil options.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mobil one 20w-50 synthetic motorcycle oil. Works very well out here in AZ

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
SN is in Rotella T4...I assume since its marketed toward diesel, its more of an afterthought, but its there.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by LeeC; 07/29/23.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have been using Rotella T6 5w40 for years in my 2008 Honda Rancher. It works great and is safe for wet clutches.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I've always used Honda Oil in all the atv's thru the years, even my buddies that race use Honda oil, no matter what brand machine they ride. Recently went with Honda Full Synthetic, best move I ever made. Noticeably smoother through the gears, acceleration, etc...

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have a Kubota
So I use Kubota's Oil and Hydro Fluids
I do not have to change it very often so the extra expense is minimal.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Not a UTV, but in both my Honda four wheelers I use Shell Rotella 15W-40. It doesn't have the "energy conserving" certification which indicates the wetting agents that'll make the clutches slip. They've been running it a long time, if it wasn't great oil they'd be dead by now.
I also use Shell Rotella 15W-40 non synthetic in my Honda ATVs. The owners manual recommended 10W-40 non synthetic but that is hard to find so I just use the same stuff my old Ford tractor uses.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Mobile 1 5w20.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I use Yamaha oil (Yamalube). It’s worked perfectly in my Yamaha Viking. I also use Yamaha fluids in the front and rear differentials.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Just had my rzr 900 rebuilt (thanks little brother for running it out of oil and blowing it up). The new oil in it now is red. Is this special break in oil, or just standard before it gets "burnt" to black?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Amsoil atv/utv oil in them, and amsoil in everything.

UTV, ATV, truck....

Last edited by hicountry; 01/06/24.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Mobil 1 5-20

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
10w-30 synthetic.

Honda 420 fourtrax. 2009 model.

I have never used 4 stroke/marine oil in any of my atv's, and there have been at least four in the last 4 decades. I've never had an oil related problem in any of them.

I've owned 2 hondas. 1 Kawasaki. 1 Yamaha.

Last edited by johna1; 01/07/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had been using the Valvoline oil made specifically for atv/utv's but am switching to Rotella T6 on the next oil change on my Wolverine X2.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last i time changed it, i used royal purple.

The Polaris dealer wanted $50+ for a filter and 2 qts with Polaris on the label…

Advance have both the oil and filter for around $30.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Last i time changed it, i used royal purple.

The Polaris dealer wanted $50+ for a filter and 2 qts with Polaris on the label…

Advance have both the oil and filter for around $30.

That’s what I do, change twice a year. Oil looks new after 6 months, but I change it anyway.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my climate I been using Amsoil 0-40 year round in my ATV's
Many years ago I used Golden Spectro and I really liked that, been hard to find locally so don't buy it anymore
Yamaha, Honda, ect. oil is excellent too, just be sure to buy correct oil for intended use.
Allot of equipment does not have a separate oil bath from the engine to the transmission, so this will play into effect what oil specs you will choose.

Some things I have learned over the years, Royal purple has cleaning agents in there oil, on older equipment this can cause seals to leak. Valvoline oil seems to have additives that cause varnish build-up, which on older equipment will help with seals not leaking as much. Many store fronts such as Napa, Advanced auto, ect. have there own name brand of oil, which is often made by Valvoline with the store fronts brand label on it. Just some things to consider when buying motor oil.

hotrodusa.....N.R.A. Life Member
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
They tell us, no Synthroid

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Rotella T6 5W-40 in UTV, ATV, and metric motorcycles.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
10w40 in my side by side .

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I run 15 W 40 or 5 W 40 diesel oil in about anything I driver or any motor I run at home....

From my car to the lawn mower...its the toughest oil you can get... and yet I don't own a diesel at all.

But I've ran it for going on 40 years now. I do long drains and get some pretty high miles out of vehicles I have used over that period of time.... 350 to 400K out of numerous cars... 600K on my 88 4 Runner running Delvac 1 or 5w40 or 15 w 40 in regular diesel motor oil or synthetic.

You can't buy a tougher oil standard.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T6

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Getting ready to do another post engine rebuild break in oil change, I've got the Polaris PS4 oil on order.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Rotella T6 15w-40 in all my Polaris engines. Been running it for about 5 years since all 3 were new, no issues at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 54 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,567
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.