Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've heard for a long time that the accuracy/precision of a Ruger #1 can be iffy. I'd like to hear from you guys about how your #1 rifles shoot. Post pics if need be. Thanks!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The No. 1s made before 1990 were iffy, partly because of the barrels Ruger primarily used before they started hammer-forging their own barrels. The very early No. 1s featured Douglas barrels, and usually grouped well--but then Ruger switched to another barrel company where quality varied widely.

The was partly due to the often very long throats Ruger rifles often had back then--and not just in No. 1s but the 77 bolt rifles. My first No. 1 was a 7x57 with a throat so long that lead-cored 160-grain bullets had to be seated so long to come close to the rifling that they were barely held in the case.

But after 1990 the barrels not only improved considerably, but the chambering reamers had more normal throats. Since then I've owned a bunch of 'em that shot well out of the box--or if not, when I epoxy-bedded the tip of the forend.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for the info JB. Funny thing regarding the Ruger #1. A guy I know back in Oregon asked if I knew anything about accurizing a Ruger #1. I told him I never had one and he asked if I’ve heard of John Barsness. I said sure, and he went on about some of your accurizing tips regarding the #1. I told him you generally know your schidt, yet he struggled with his 25-06. One day he’d come to the shop waving a piece of paper in his hand with a 1” 5 shot group on it, saying I think I finally got this thing figured out. Then the next day he’d look like you kicked his dog. He’d show me some 3” groups from his temperamental 25-06. Now that I own one, I wonder if maybe his shooting style was a direct reflection of his group size? IE: put too much pressure on the forend and maybe it will string shots? Maybe the trigger was a little too heavy? I’m not overly happy about a 4.5 pound pull on my new rifle, but it’s pretty crisp, so I’m leaving well enough alone. I’m wondering if a Ruger #1 that shoots 1” 5 shot groups consistently at 100 yards, if that is average, or better than average with these rifles? Thanks

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve owned five #1s, and sold all of them. Yes slow learner. One of those I would call a 1” gun, the other four not even close to 1”. Two were 22ppc heavy varmint barreled guns.
I spent a lot on forend floating, pressure schemes and triggers, to no avail.

NRA Patron
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dale06
I’ve owned five #1s, and sold all of them. Yes slow learner. One of those I would call a 1” gun, the other four not even close to 1”. Two were 22ppc heavy varmint barreled guns.
I spent a lot on forend floating, pressure schemes and triggers, to no avail.

Thanks for your post dale. It’s because of reports like this that caused me to be overly cautious about buying a Ruger #1. Now the next guy is going to say he’s had 5 that all shot under an inch. One reason I started this thread. The Ruger #1 has an alluring side though. Probably why you kept buying them.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
1973 Ruger #1 in 270 Winchester

[Linked Image]

130gr Nosler BT and IMR 4320 (4 shots on the left) at 100 yards

[Linked Image]

140gr Hornady SST and IMR 4350 at 100 yards

[Linked Image]

i killed quite a few deer with it, including 12 feet to 365+/- yards. it is just a plain rifle and it shoots great. i bought it at a gun show used for $300 (2007 or 08).

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tdoyka
1973 Ruger #1 in 270 Winchester

[Linked Image]

130gr Nosler BT and IMR 4320 (4 shots on the left) at 100 yards

[Linked Image]

140gr Hornady SST and IMR 4350 at 100 yards

[Linked Image]

i killed quite a few deer with it, including 12 feet to 365+/- yards. it is just a plain rifle and it shoots great. i bought it at a gun show used for $300 (2007 or 08).

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. You did quite well. A great investment for sure. Now probably worth 4 times what you paid for it!! Looks like it shoots quite well too.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Not a lot of contributors to this thread. Thought there were more guys that loved these things. Here are the preliminary results of the new to me Ruger #1 that I started a thread on before I bought it. I had some questions regarding the rifle and you guys were very helpful. Much appreciated!! I wanted to thank you for helping me with this rifle. It turned out that the barrel had been replaced. Thus, as some of you guys suggested it may be even better than a factory barreled Ruger #1. From what I can garner from it's first couple range sessions, it is very consistent shooting. I'm running/loading a now discontinued Hornady bullet because that is all I could find locally. Besides some very light (80gr) TTSX. While it's not a 1/2 moa rifle, it's showing some very good promise with the small amount of load work up I've done so far:

I didn't adjust the scope. As you can see, the poi is pretty consistent. I'll take it:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Those first groups were shot on the 11th. I then retested a few of the best loads from that bunch yesterday and zeroed the scope. This was the last group fired yesterday, after zeroing the scope:

I'll keep working on loads, as soon as I find some different bullets. I think it's a keeper though.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Man, I can't see anything wrong with how it's printing those 120's at all.

I'd bet with a little seating depth adjusting you may do a little better, but if it's keeping 5 shots around MOA I'd hunt it all.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Great lookin rifle!

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have never had any accuracy issues with the #1. One I foolishly let go was a #1AB in 7X57 when I was having a 7X57AI built. My stable of #1's range from a 250 Savage to a 450/400 NE.
Try some 110gr Accubonds if you can find them.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I judge the accuracy of any rifle on how repeatably the groups are over time.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
This was a Prairie Dog killer right out of the box and it's repeatable accuracy has been shown in the P dog towns

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I would call all of the #1's I owned 1.2-2" guns. I had on old 06 that would usually shoot 1" but some days a bit more. Also a 7x57 that I could get some 1" groups. My expectations in general would be most loads will shoot 1.5-2" but you can tinker with loads to reduce that a bit.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I've heard for a long time that the accuracy/precision of a Ruger #1 can be iffy. I'd like to hear from you guys about how your #1 rifles shoot. Post pics if need be. Thanks!!

It varies wildly. Roughly in the order I kinda sorta remember owning them ...

#1H .375 H&H blued 3 moa.

#1B .25-06 2-3 moa

#1V .300 Win Mag (bought used) .. would shoot near quarter MOA for a group of cold bore first shots, similar for second shots, similar for third shots, etc, however that group of second shots would be 2 MOA above the group of first shots, the group of third shots 1.5 moa higher yet, and so on 'til when it was hot, it would settle in and shoot quarter to half inch groups which were about 12 MOA above the cold bore point of impact. Let it cool completely and it would return to original point of impact.

#1V .220 Swift .. MOA. I had to do a lot of work to get it there. Pushing patches or cleaning rod down the barrel, there was a loose spot about 2 inches long mid-barrel where stuff would jump with almost no resistance.

Somewhere in there I had a brief "encounter" with a #3 in .45-70. It was minute of watermellon, no better, no matter what I fed it.

The last one was a stainless / laminated .375 H&H. After doing the fore-end hanger tension screw trick it stopped stringing vertically and because a very reliable 3/4 inch shooter with 260 grain accubonds and RL 15.

I don't care how good a rifle looks, it has to shoot accurately. MOA is about my break point .. ok on a game rifle, not good enough on a varmint rig. 3/4 MOA makes me pretty happy.

I don't have any #1s at the moment.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks TOM and others. Very informative post TOM, I appreciate it! As for MicinColo, your post of you "judge the accuracy of any rifle on how repeatably the groups are over time.", that works well, but generally I can take a rifle out a couple times and know if it's a keeper. Group dispersion is not hard to read, nor is consistency. I look at POI as closely as I do group size. The cold bore group tells me a lot about a rifle, as does the first shot. If that first shot is out of the group by any discernable amount, I'm suspect of the true accuracy of the rifle. Generally there is a mechanical issue going on. Most times that can be corrected, but sometimes it can not.
Also group dispersion will tell you if your OAL is good. Like beretzs said, a little tweaking of that, may render better/smaller groups. On the targets I posted, the 54gr charge that I'm going with, shows a pretty round group with minimal 3 in 2 out, so I may not even mess with OAL.
Regarding POI: When you can lay a target over another one and the group covers the last one, that is a good sign. This new rifle is showing very promising results. Nothing wonky going on that I can see. Also, anytime you can take a new rifle out and it prints multiple 5 shot groups into less than an inch, that is a keeper in my book. The other day I shot 8 groups. I'll walk down to the target after each group, to help the barrel cool a little bit. Even on a 93 degree day, it helps just slightly. Doing this, it also tells me how the rifle/barrel reacts to heating up.
I'm glad guys like TOM and JB and others gave their input on these #1's because I've read some of JB's stuff regarding the #1. That was quite a while ago though, and like I said, I've heard many reports like TOM's to make me a little nervous about buying my first #1. It's funny because I've always admired the looks of the #1, as it seems many of you do as well.

I will admit, that it looks like I got extremely lucky on this one. Also, for those of you that don't know, the reason the price went down to $600 on this one was because the shop that had it could not get the trigger to work. It was not cocking. The shop owner and I get along very well and he knows I work on my own guns. I told him I'd risk it and buy parts if need be. As it turned out, it was a very simple fix that did not require parts. All in all, a very good deal on what looks like a decent shooting rifle. When I first looked at the rifle, I thought it would shoot well, considering the bore looked perfect and the crown is perfectly machined. In my mind, there was no reason this rifle would not shoot well. Unless there was some other reason Ruger #1's were inherently inaccurate. Such is not the case, from what I can see. I'm thinking the iffy accuracy/precision issues may actually be the Ruger barrels used. Not the platform.

Others that know more about them, please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!!

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
BSA, I forget what Ruger's stated accuracy guarantee is now but early on id was something like 2" at 50 or 100 yards. Sorry, I don't remember which. Of the many #1s I own, most will do one inch or slightly better A couple won't do better than 3.5" but I'll work on them when I find time. Except for the last few hunts I've done, all my hunts from 1975 to date were with a Ruger#1 in some shape or form. My last five elk hunts were on private ground and the ranch didn't allow single shot rifles. I got an elk on every one of those hunts with one shot from my custom Mausers, yet no one shooters allowed. They did cater to handicapped hunters for some hunts so I qualified there. Probably my favorite #1 is the "A" in 7x57 but there are 4 #1s chambered to the .300 Win. Mag. that shoot under a half inch with 200 gr. Speer Hot Core and stay near half inch with 200 gr. Nosler Partitions. Looks like your rifle is a decent shooter so I won't offer any suggestions other that what others have said about playing with the seating depth.

One thing I will say is remember that it basically a good weather rifle. Dunno how snow might affect the rifle but I got caught in a nasty rainstorm in Oregon on an elk hunt. I was hunting with my #1B in .300 Win. Mag. The rifle and I were thoroughly soaked and U had to take the rifle apart to dry out the insides. Never saw an elk. On the way home we stopped and a ranch up at King's River Nevada for some pheasant hunting before going on home to Tucson. While bird hunting we saw a coyote running off with a pheasant in it's mouth. I had a deer tag for the area so my .300 was in the truck. I shot several time, no hits and my buddies couldn't see where the bullets were hitting. Brother yote made a clean getaway. When I got home, the foreare was difficult to remove due to a lot of swelling. Took the rifle to the ranges and it was shooting at least six feet or more high. I removed the wood, tore the gun down again for another drying just in case and stared the wood in my shed. Get real hot in the simmer, roughly 120 and sometimes higher. Once a year I took that wood and put it back on the rifle, sighted in and checked things out. It took a bit over 6 years to get back to normal. This does lead me to wonder how changing humidity condition may affect Ruger rifles, especially in places with wide swings. Southern Arizona is pretty dry all year round and when I lived in Winnemucca humidity didn't seem to bother the two #1s I owned back then, a 30-06 and a .300 Win. mag. That .300 was the one caught in the storm.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PJGunner
BSA, I forget what Ruger's stated accuracy guarantee is now but early on id was something like 2" at 50 or 100 yards. Sorry, I don't remember which. Of the many #1s I own, most will do one inch or slightly better A couple won't do better than 3.5" but I'll work on them when I find time. Except for the last few hunts I've done, all my hunts from 1975 to date were with a Ruger#1 in some shape or form. My last five elk hunts were on private ground and the ranch didn't allow single shot rifles. I got an elk on every one of those hunts with one shot from my custom Mausers, yet no one shooters allowed. They did cater to handicapped hunters for some hunts so I qualified there. Probably my favorite #1 is the "A" in 7x57 but there are 4 #1s chambered to the .300 Win. Mag. that shoot under a half inch with 200 gr. Speer Hot Core and stay near half inch with 200 gr. Nosler Partitions. Looks like your rifle is a decent shooter so I won't offer any suggestions other that what others have said about playing with the seating depth.

One thing I will say is remember that it basically a good weather rifle. Dunno how snow might affect the rifle but I got caught in a nasty rainstorm in Oregon on an elk hunt. I was hunting with my #1B in .300 Win. Mag. The rifle and I were thoroughly soaked and U had to take the rifle apart to dry out the insides. Never saw an elk. On the way home we stopped and a ranch up at King's River Nevada for some pheasant hunting before going on home to Tucson. While bird hunting we saw a coyote running off with a pheasant in it's mouth. I had a deer tag for the area so my .300 was in the truck. I shot several time, no hits and my buddies couldn't see where the bullets were hitting. Brother yote made a clean getaway. When I got home, the foreare was difficult to remove due to a lot of swelling. Took the rifle to the ranges and it was shooting at least six feet or more high. I removed the wood, tore the gun down again for another drying just in case and stared the wood in my shed. Get real hot in the simmer, roughly 120 and sometimes higher. Once a year I took that wood and put it back on the rifle, sighted in and checked things out. It took a bit over 6 years to get back to normal. This does lead me to wonder how changing humidity condition may affect Ruger rifles, especially in places with wide swings. Southern Arizona is pretty dry all year round and when I lived in Winnemucca humidity didn't seem to bother the two #1s I owned back then, a 30-06 and a .300 Win. mag. That .300 was the one caught in the storm.
PJ

I love the story buddy. Thanks!! If I were still in Oregon, I'd definitely not hunt this one during elk season. You know from experience that it gets wet there. Sometimes the elk even look miserable when they are soaked. I swear I ran into a group of cows one year and they were so drenched that they just looked at me as if to say put me out of my misery!!! That same year, I ended up shooting a spike and it looked like a wet dog.
Well, I have a story to share with you. I was just at the range. One of my favorite places to hang out:
That thing just looks sweet, doesn't it? I'm glad you appreciate Ruger #1's. Its probably been a long time since you were in Winnemucca, but here it is:
Rifle pointed at the 400 yard berm^^^

Got lucky today, as it felt too windy to be shooting. You know how it is here. But I managed a 1.5" group. Can't complain about this custom barreled #1!!!

That is a flat based hollow point interlock, which I have never seen before. My book says the bullet is "discontinued". Maybe it blew up on game or something??? They shoot pretty damn good for a flat base.. That was a lucky group though. The others I shot were more in the moa range:

Not the best scope for shooting at 400 yards, but it is what it is... Zeiss 3-9x42 with RZ6 reticle. I look forward to trying some more stream lined bullets in this thing.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
For what it's worth the biggest mule deer I ever shot 30 1/4) was with an 06 #1. The biggest bodied elk I ever shot was with a #1 in 7x57.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have owned exactly 3 of them all made after 1990 and they all shot extremely well with no tinkering 2 1B's 280 rem and 30-06 and a 1A in 270. I wish I had the 1A back.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Have a 1B in 7mmRM, late 70's red pad. Awful trigger, then I installed a "speed" hammer. Now a nice, crisp but heavy 4lb trigger. Free floated the forend, and now will shoot 139gr Hornadys into a tight little cluster. With almost 1600 rounds fired, it's about ready for a new tube. Maybe a 6BR??

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a #1 in 338wm that will shoot factory Barnes TTSX right at 1" at 100 yards, and Winchester PowerPoints at about 1.5" at 100 yards. Problem is, I can't get handloads to shoot for crap in that rifle. Once I switched from Federal primers to Remington, the groups tightened up a bit, but still not there.

I have a #3 in 223 that will shoot some ammo right at 1", but it is picky. It shoots 65 grain Sierra Game Kings well enough that I will use it for deer.

I have a #1 that has a 6mm CM barrel. I have a Jard trigger and a speed hammer. The forearm is bedded and the hanger drilled and tapped with a screw to maintain constant tension between the barrel and hanger.

This is one group at 100 yards. 1" target

Then out to 300 yards. I think this was a 3" target

But again, somedays, it will shoot like this, and some days not. Been trying factory Nosler 95 grain Ballistic Tip ammo, only shot half a box so far and not excited yet.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice shooting rifle Scoony. Gotta love the 6cm.

BSA MAGA
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
My only example is a SS 1B in 7mm STW. It was a 3 moa rifle with everything I threw at it from 140 gr to 175 gr bullets seated as close to the lands as I could put them. Floating the barrel did not help.

Installation of a "Hick's Accurizer" cured all my problems. I settled on two loads, a 160 gr Sierra spbt, or the Hornady 162 btsp, either over the same charge of H 1000. I set the accurizer screw to contact the barrel, and then turned it in about another 3/4 of a turn. It turned the rifle into a .75 moa shooter with either bullet.

Of course, by then I had about 2000 rounds down the tube, and it needs a trip to PacNor.

https://eabco.com/hicks-1-accurizer/

[Linked Image from cdn11.bigcommerce.com]

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Is that the range in Winnemucca? Looks good. I haven't been there on any kind od long or short term basis in years Left due to job transfer 31 August 1979 to Tucson AZ. Nice pay raise and wife was happy but I didn't care for it. Been back a few times to hook up with my hunting partner for trips to Washington and Oregon to hunt elk. Most of out elk hunts were in the John Day area. My hunt buddy still puts in for a cow elk hunt out of Ely as his family has property there. My other buddy lived in battle Mountain and his family owned or managed the local airport. There was an abandoned FAA building we called, "the Facility" that my WMC buddy and I used as a place to sleep. I do miss those those days. I'd take a road trip back up there if I could get away from all the damn dr. appointments and PT I have to endure.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have a Ruger No. 1A in 7x57 long throat Red pad that shoots most loads under 1.5" bullets seated short of throat shoot well also, neat rifle.

Last edited by kk alaska; 07/15/23.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
BSA, looks like you are on the road to perfection. Keep at it.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
BSA, looks like you are on the road to perfection. Keep at it.

Thanks buddy. I just loaded up some 120gr Sierra gamekings. Heard some of you guys like those in your 25-06's. Found a stash of them and bought 3 boxes, as well as 20 boxes of those discontinued Hornady 120gr H.P Interlocks. Only bought 4 boxes of those, since they seem to shoot decent in this rifle. The lady at the gunshop I rarely go to said everything was 10% off too, so $25-10% on the Hornady pills, $31-10% on the SGK, $33-10% on the box of 100 gr Nosler partitions was a score. By todays standards.

Originally Posted by kk alaska
I have a Ruger No. 1A in 7x57 long throat Red pad that shoots most loads under 1.5" bullets seated short of throat shoot well also, neat rifle.

That's a beauty. Looks a lot like mine. Sounds like it's a good shooter too.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Is that the range in Winnemucca? Looks good. I haven't been there on any kind od long or short term basis in years Left due to job transfer 31 August 1979 to Tucson AZ. Nice pay raise and wife was happy but I didn't care for it. Been back a few times to hook up with my hunting partner for trips to Washington and Oregon to hunt elk. Most of out elk hunts were in the John Day area. My hunt buddy still puts in for a cow elk hunt out of Ely as his family has property there. My other buddy lived in battle Mountain and his family owned or managed the local airport. There was an abandoned FAA building we called, "the Facility" that my WMC buddy and I used as a place to sleep. I do miss those those days. I'd take a road trip back up there if I could get away from all the damn dr. appointments and PT I have to endure.
PJ

Yep, that's the range there. They are working on extending that 400 yard range out to 1000 right now. The sad part is we will not be able to drive out to the 1000 yard steel, for safety reasons I guess. I have other ranges where I can shoot past 1000 though. This place has changed a lot since you lived here. I know it's even changed a lot since I moved back. I was away for 30 years!! If you ever do swing by, look me up. I know the areas in Oregon you mention as well. I know some guys that have property on the john day. Decent elk hunting over there, but they move from one property to the next pretty quickly. I hunt the hell out of them in the national forest, where the hunters success rate is low. Just my preference though, since I know the area and usually get a bull every other year there. Cows are a gimme, but still fun to hunt.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My mid-70s #1V shot consistent 5/8 inch 5 shot groups with preferred loads. That barrel had a very long throat. I couldn't reach the lands with a 55 grain bullet. My #3 shot 3/4 inch 5 shot groups consistently.

Last edited by LeonHitchcox; 07/16/23.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I shot my 300 H&H yesterday working up a load with the 200 grain Accubond. 63 1/2 gr of IMR 4350 and Federal 215 Magnum primers put three into one ragged hole. I believe I'm minute of Gemsbuck LOL.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That sounds like something I need to try in mine GSP.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Most folks should figure on getting MOA out of a #1. Ruger says they only guarantee that their rifles shoot 4" at 100. Can not imagine a 4" shooting single shot at 100 yards being what I need.

I have four Ruger single shot rifles, 218 Bee, 22 Hornet, 7mm RM, 300 WM, they all shoot well under 1" at 100, but all have barrels free floated, scope ribs removed and cut so as not to be touching the receiver, glass bedded, etc.

I would shoot a new purchase for group, if used I would strip the bore to brite steel, a new rifle,I would throughly clean, do a break in, if it does not hold as I would accept I would redo it.

You might send your Ruger, if you have a problem, to Eben Arthur Brown, EBCO , he makes the BF single shot actions, pistols and rifles, so, he can and does do a good job on single shots.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"Most folks should figure on getting MOA out of a #1. Ruger says they only guarantee that their rifles shoot 4" at 100. Can not imagine a 4" shooting single shot at 100 yards being what I need."

I concur. More than several years back when I had a #1A in 7x57 that was a lousy shooter, I called Ruger to send it back At that time I asked what their accuracy was for #1s and they said two inches. I forget if it was at 50 or 100 yards though. This was back abound 1980 or 81.
I've been hunting with #1s since my first one, a B model in 30-06 came my way. I looked for one ever since I saw the ads but never saw one. Ordered one many times and the various LGS I dealt with said they couldn't get one in any caliber. Finally in 1975, I found that one in 30-06 and bought it. It took a while to fine out what it liked but worked fine after that. Around 1981 or so I ordered a .300 Win. mag. in the "S" model and was sent a "B". My KGS raised hell with the distributor and was told that was the only one they could get, take it or send it back. I took it. It took years for me to even find one in the "S" configuration and it was in .300 Win. Mag. And a liberty model to boot. Since then I hav gotten two more "S" version, all in .300 Win. Mag. They all like the same load, a max charge of WMR powder with the 200 gr. Speer Hot core. I've found more than a few #1s for sale, A's, B's, V's and the RSI's but the "S" versions are scarcer than hen's teeth. I did see one more, another .300 Win. that was so beat up with gouges in the wood, plenty of rust on the barrel and action and looked like it was rode hard and put away wet. I might have bought it if the price had been right to save my four nice ones and use the beater in hunts but Cabelas and I couldn't come to an agreement on what was a fair price. I wasn't gonna go $1,800 on a beater and they wouldn't budge. I also wonder why so few of the "S" models have never seems to get west of the Rocky Mountains? Just glad I do have what I have.
PJ

MOLON LABE
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good info guys. It looks like most of the ones that are shooting sub moa have also had some work done to them. I checked my rib and there is about .015-.020" clearance between it and the receiver. I didn't measure it with a feeler gauge, just looks like about that much. The forend does not appear to be freefloated though and it is not bedded. I shot a few groups yesterday for some more load development with the new Sierra's I found. Here are the best 2 groups:

That load is still fairly dialed in, and closely matches the 120gr Hornady H.P interlock for POI. I may try a different powder and take it out again. See if I can get something a bit more consistent.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
"Most folks should figure on getting MOA out of a #1. Ruger says they only guarantee that their rifles shoot 4" at 100. Can not imagine a 4" shooting single shot at 100 yards being what I need."

I concur. More than several years back when I had a #1A in 7x57 that was a lousy shooter, I called Ruger to send it back At that time I asked what their accuracy was for #1s and they said two inches. I forget if it was at 50 or 100 yards though. This was back abound 1980 or 81.
I've been hunting with #1s since my first one, a B model in 30-06 came my way. I looked for one ever since I saw the ads but never saw one. Ordered one many times and the various LGS I dealt with said they couldn't get one in any caliber. Finally in 1975, I found that one in 30-06 and bought it. It took a while to fine out what it liked but worked fine after that. Around 1981 or so I ordered a .300 Win. mag. in the "S" model and was sent a "B". My KGS raised hell with the distributor and was told that was the only one they could get, take it or send it back. I took it. It took years for me to even find one in the "S" configuration and it was in .300 Win. Mag. And a liberty model to boot. Since then I hav gotten two more "S" version, all in .300 Win. Mag. They all like the same load, a max charge of WMR powder with the 200 gr. Speer Hot core. I've found more than a few #1s for sale, A's, B's, V's and the RSI's but the "S" versions are scarcer than hen's teeth. I did see one more, another .300 Win. that was so beat up with gouges in the wood, plenty of rust on the barrel and action and looked like it was rode hard and put away wet. I might have bought it if the price had been right to save my four nice ones and use the beater in hunts but Cabelas and I couldn't come to an agreement on what was a fair price. I wasn't gonna go $1,800 on a beater and they wouldn't budge. I also wonder why so few of the "S" models have never seems to get west of the Rocky Mountains? Just glad I do have what I have.
PJ

If I'm shooting "4" groups" with anything, it better be open sights, a muzzle loader or a slug from a shotgun. Just sayin..

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I bought a new 1V in 22-250 in 1982 primarily for shooting groundhogs. I am happy with the accuracy I get with handloads ( a bit under an inch). Other than a trigger job the rifle is as it came from the factory.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After owning and shooting a couple dozen of them, from .218 Bee to .475 Turnbull, I think I'd be annoyed with one that wouldn't do 1½ MOA or better with its best handloads. One like that was a 4 digit 1968 model in 6mm Remington. The barrel was burned to a crisp. Another is a .44mag, which I suspect just needs the right load.

The .22-250 in my avatar frustrated me for years, putting 3 in one hole, then tossing the next one an inch away. I finally fire lapped it, and it immediately settled down, and became a reliable 1/2" rifle.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks Tex. That looks like a beauty! Shoots damn well too. Hard to beat that.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scoony
I have a #1 in 338wm that will shoot factory Barnes TTSX right at 1" at 100 yards, and Winchester PowerPoints at about 1.5" at 100 yards. Problem is, I can't get handloads to shoot for crap in that rifle. Once I switched from Federal primers to Remington, the groups tightened up a bit, but still not there.

I have a #3 in 223 that will shoot some ammo right at 1", but it is picky. It shoots 65 grain Sierra Game Kings well enough that I will use it for deer.

I have a #1 that has a 6mm CM barrel. I have a Jard trigger and a speed hammer. The forearm is bedded and the hanger drilled and tapped with a screw to maintain constant tension between the barrel and hanger.

This is one group at 100 yards. 1" target

Then out to 300 yards. I think this was a 3" target

But again, somedays, it will shoot like this, and some days not. Been trying factory Nosler 95 grain Ballistic Tip ammo, only shot half a box so far and not excited yet.

Nice, whose barrel?

Had a factory 270 1B, 2 - 2.5" out the box, bedded, trigger work, came down to 1.5. Shot 7/8" with factory 25-06 in another 1B, a 243 1 RSI shot 5/8 - 3/4" and a 1a did 3/8 first group. All 3 shot groups. My custom 1V - 26" Pac-Nor 8t, in 6BR shot sub 1/2" at 330 yds....105 Amax.

They can and will shoot, but not if they have a bad barrel. That BR I had was glassed by PN to the barrel, not floating. Kepplinger trigger.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
PacNor

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I own 6 (.280 Rem, .338 WSM, .257 Rob, .35 Whelen, .338-06, .30-06). ALL are sub MOA. Several have had crappy triggers that were upgraded. The .257 and the .30-.6 remain "factory. The others began life as something else. These were customized out of desire not necessity. They were bought strictly as project guns and never intended to be shot as purchased. So, my sample size for factory spec guns is small, but one can say that over several platforms the gun is capable of very good accuracy. Many here are aware, but OP or others may not be, hanger bolt torque is important. Many people over torque that bolt and blame the gun for poor accuracy.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I own 6 (.280 Rem, .338 WSM, .257 Rob, .35 Whelen, .338-06, .30-06). ALL are sub MOA. Several have had crappy triggers that were upgraded. The .257 and the .30-.6 remain "factory. The others began life as something else. These were customized out of desire not necessity. They were bought strictly as project guns and never intended to be shot as purchased. So, my sample size for factory spec guns is small, but one can say that over several platforms the gun is capable of very good accuracy. Many here are aware, but OP or others may not be, hanger bolt torque is important. Many people over torque that bolt and blame the gun for poor accuracy.

Thanks Doc. I was thinking that hanger bolt torque may be critical. I tightened it like I normally would any other bolt on my guns. She's shooting pretty well IMHO. I have been having fun with the old girl. I probably won't mess with anything on the rifle. It's shooting well enough for my needs. Just curious about other's experiences regarding accuracy on these #1 rifles. As I said earlier, I've always heard they can be finicky and have witnessed it on a couple occasions. Glad mine doesn't seem to be finicky at all and that is without any mods, except for an aftermarket barrel. Thanks for all the comments guys. much appreciated!!

BSA MAGA
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I had six Number One rifles over the past 40 years or so, and all have been good shooters, some exceptionally.

Two of the exceptional ones were a .300 H&H 1S from the Boddington series, and an early ‘80s vintage 1B 7mm Rem Mag. Both of these routinely are .75 MOA, with the 7 Mag often pushing .5. On both, just snug up the fore arm screw and have at it.

A couple of the 1As, these in .270 and 30-06, shot right at MOA with a rubber washer under the fore end screw. The rest involved no tinkering.

If your rifle shoots, thank the gods and leave it alone.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
my most accurate out of the box Ruger #1 shot under 1/2 inch 5 shot groups with my handloads off a cement bench ,now i have had others i rebarreled and they now shoot excellent too . last winter i purchased a used decent 257 Roberts Ruger #1 - 1B it shot 1 - 1 1/4 inch groups so i glass bedded about 3 inches of the forearm and cleaned out and floated the rest of the barrel , recorowned barrel and now with my handloads it shoots 1/2 -5/8 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yds. using a 75 gr. Hammer hunter bullets in my handloads. this is a hunting rifle so i could care less anymore how well it would do with 5 shot groups , i have some bench rifles to worry about better 5 shot groups . Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pete53
my most accurate out of the box Ruger #1 shot under 1/2 inch 5 shot groups with my handloads off a cement bench ,now i have had others i rebarreled and they now shoot excellent too . last winter i purchased a used decent 257 Roberts Ruger #1 - 1B it shot 1 - 1 1/4 inch groups so i glass bedded about 3 inches of the forearm and cleaned out and floated the rest of the barrel , recorowned barrel and now with my handloads it shoots 1/2 -5/8 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yds. using a 75 gr. Hammer hunter bullets in my handloads. this is a hunting rifle so i could care less anymore how well it would do with 5 shot groups , i have some bench rifles to worry about better 5 shot groups . Pete53

Of course they are not benchrest guns pete. That's not what this thread is about. I appreciate everyone's input on how their Ruger #1 rifles shoot. Like I thought, though, we can see some rifles shoot well and others not so much. I always appreciate a good shooting rifle though. Hunting rifle or otherwise, does not make any difference to me. The ones I really like are the lightweight rifles that shoot lights out. Ones you can lay down 10 shots in a row and keep them inside 1 moa or less consistently. Tikka's tend to be like this because they have superb barrels and very rigid actions. These Ruger #1 rifles also have very rigid and strong actions, but may be lacking in other areas which may be why they do not always shoot lights out. The mechanical difference and beauty of these rifles have always interested me. Sounds like you may have them figured out, with the glass bedding and re-barreling of some of these rifles to make them shoot well. Hopefully those rifles do not shift groups though, or they are pretty much worthless in my book. Or limits how far your range would be. Just fine for a 100 yard rifle, but not so much if you have to shoot 4-500 yards.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
[quote=pete53]my most accurate out of the box Ruger #1 shot under 1/2 inch 5 shot groups with my handloads off a cement bench ,now i have had others i rebarreled and they now shoot excellent too . last winter i purchased a used decent 257 Roberts Ruger #1 - 1B it shot 1 - 1 1/4 inch groups so i glass bedded about 3 inches of the forearm and cleaned out and floated the rest of the barrel , recorowned barrel and now with my handloads it shoots 1/2 -5/8 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yds. using a 75 gr. Hammer hunter bullets in my handloads. this is a hunting rifle so i could care less anymore how well it would do with 5 shot groups , i have some bench rifles to worry about better 5 shot groups . Pete53

Of course they are not benchrest guns pete. That's not what this thread is about. I appreciate everyone's input on how their Ruger #1 rifles shoot. Like I thought, though, we can see some rifles shoot well and others not so much. I always appreciate a good shooting rifle though. Hunting rifle or otherwise, does not make any difference to me. The ones I really like are the lightweight rifles that shoot lights out. Ones you can lay down 10 shots in a row and keep them inside 1 moa or less consistently. Tikka's tend to be like this because they have superb barrels and very rigid actions. These Ruger #1 rifles also have very rigid and strong actions, but may be lacking in other areas which may be why they do not always shoot lights out. The mechanical difference and beauty of these rifles have always interested me. Sounds like you may have them figured out, with the glass bedding and re-barreling of some of these rifles to make them shoot well. Hopefully those rifles do not shift groups though, or they are pretty much worthless in my book. Or limits how far your range would be. Just fine for a 100 yard rifle, but not so much if you have to shoot 4-500 yards.[/quote some

some handloaders have better skills at reloading precision ammo , shooting ability ,better scopes and use bench equipment off a cement bench ,so when you talk accuracy a sand bag off a old wood bench won`t give that good of accuracy , there is more to it than just pulling the trigger. i can figure out how to make a Ruger #1 too shoot well somehow even if i need to put a new Brux barrell or Krieger barrel on the rifle , then glass bed / float the forearm . Ruger #1 actions are a very strong action Federal Cartridge uses these actions for pressure testing that my hunting /fishing partner Jonny Bell designed at Federal Cartridge many years ago. i do have some Ruger #1`s that will shoot like a bench rifle with my equipment and my handloads .

Last edited by pete53; 07/19/23.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Mine were all older guns...a 1B in .270 I bought used. Two 1Vs in .223 and .22-250, along with a !H in .375 H&H I bought new. I got nice tight groups with all of them, but not consistently. The .375 held a zero, not perfectly, but better than the others.

Best looking hunting rifle ever, but I'd never buy another. Got rid of my #1s and miss none of them. Gunwriter C.E. Harris, one of the best from years ago worked for Ruger, in the '80s (I thinK). He said back then if you had a #1 that would consistently shoot groups of 1.5", you had a good one. I must agree.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by lotech
Mine were all older guns...a 1B in .270 I bought used. Two 1Vs in .223 and .22-250, along with a !H in .375 H&H I bought new. I got nice tight groups with all of them, but not consistently. The .375 held a zero, not perfectly, but better than the others.

Best looking hunting rifle ever, but I'd never buy another. Got rid of my #1s and miss none of them. Gunwriter C.E. Harris, one of the best from years ago worked for Ruger, in the '80s (I thinK). He said back then if you had a #1 that would consistently shoot groups of 1.5", you had a good one. I must agree.

i will stick up for Ruger #1`s i can make most #1`s shoot well some with a 5 shot 1/2 - 3/4 inch groups at 100 yds. with my handloads and my equipment . but for a deer - antelope rifle with certain cartridges like a 257 Weatherby mag. i have shot large bucks from 30 feet to a measured 700 yards in one shot , this Ruger #1 257 Weatherby mag. shoots under 3/4 inch at 100 yards all day long with a speed of around 3700 FPS i don`t think i need to ask much more out this rifle for hunting. > accuracy is kinda of a person`s ability too i have also helped people to learn to shoot better with many different types of actions.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Thanks lotech. I appreciate your comment. This reminds me of the guy I was talking about back in Oregon. I just didn’t want to be that guy. That rifle was never consistent, even after the accurizing tricks he read about and tried.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Thanks lotech. I appreciate your comment. This reminds me of the guy I was talking about back in Oregon. I just didn’t want to be that guy. That rifle was never consistent, even after the accurizing tricks he read about and tried.

I've always looked at the #1s as if they were British sports cars or motorcycles. If you like to tinker and work on stuff, they are the certainly the best.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've always looked at the #1s as if they were British sports cars or motorcycles. If you like to tinker and work on stuff, they are the certainly the best.

In that case you definitely want a good back up rifle or 3. At one time I was driving and maintaining both an XKE and Triumph. The only transportation I could rely on was my Honda CB900F...

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
in rugged ruff cold wet freezing country but have never had trouble with my Ruger #1`s , Ruger 77 or my Winchester model 70`s with the claw , but i have had some trouble with Remington model 700`s freezing up and the bolt falling open too. no need for a back up rifles with the 1st 3 brand rifles i listed but yes bring different brand rifle with if your using a 700 unless you hunt close to your pickup as many do. you might feel butt hurt a little now but changing to a different brand rifle might save your life in big bear country , i learned my lessons with 700`s .

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I recently picked up this 280 AI but have yet to shoot and won't until September. A special run with a 25" A weight barrel. I had a 45-70 a number of years ago that I swapped to a guy when I lived in Calgary. It was a 2" rifle with the 350 gr Hornady.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
I recently picked up this 280 AI but have yet to shoot and won't until September. A special run with a 25" A weight barrel. I had a 45-70 a number of years ago that I swapped to a guy when I lived in Calgary. It was a 2" rifle with the 350 gr Hornady.

Nice! Is it a Leupold offset rear ring? is it a 30mm ring?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
someday i might have to play with 280 AI in a Ruger#1 just finished with a 257 Roberts waiting for a new toy to glass bed , reload and shoot a 35 Whelen Ruger #1 rebore from Jess now. wish me luck ,Pete53

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by EdM

Nice! Is it a Leupold offset rear ring? is it a 30mm ring?

Yes and no. I do not believe anyone makes an offset 30mm ring.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Geesh - other than the ones I mentioned on page 2......

Had a K-1A, 6.5x55 SS, shot 1.1" at 200 yds, 3 shots, out the box, 130 ABs in Lapua brass.......so there's that one. Wood was phenomenal....
Someone else has it now........I know, I know...SMH.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I actually emailed Ruger today, and asked them to make 30mm offset rings. Told them I'd buy several pairs. Ya'll feel free to follow suit smile

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
[quote=tex_n_cal]I actually emailed Ruger today, and asked them to make 30mm offset rings. Told them I'd buy several pairs. Ya'll feel free to follow suit :

^^ this is a great ideal ^^ i would buy a few pairs too !

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Anybody shooting their Ruger model #1's lately? A friend of mine sent me some old Noslers to try. He only had 25 pills in this old box, so I shot them up:

I should have used better/newer powder, but this discontinued AA3100 was cheap:

Just messing around, but I think it proves this rifle is not one that has any issues. If you are not out shooting, don't make any excuses. Grab a rifle and head out to the range. Don't want to be getting rusty..

From the other day with some 120gr SGK's I found:

And then the 120gr Hornady H.P Interlock that is a discontinued bullet I didn't think I'd find more of:

I'm glad I found more of those things!!!

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i bet the groups would get even better if you glass bed 3 inches of the back of the forearm and then open up the rest of the channel some so the barrel is floated ,seal that part of the wood channel you floated with Tru-oil or something . it can make a difference with better groups ,use the jel type glass bedding. your Ruger #1 is a great shooter , i have always had good luck myself with my handloads with groups / accuracy with my #1`s when i glass bed the back of the forearm and float the rest of the barrel. if you look real close at the wood barrel channel many rifles are not cut the well and barrel leans towards one side more thats why they need to be inspected in all brands new and used. i purchsed a Tikka with a laminated wood stock that barrel was touching one side right out of the new box. i glass bedded this Tikka rifle and floated the barrel right away and the rifle does shoot well .

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had 3 #1's and a #3. With work they all shot sub MOA. Out of the box, not so good. The fix was found in modification of the forend hanger and a touch of bedding.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by kk alaska

A rifle that purdy gets a pass at 2 MOA.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
👍

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
👍
Thanks buddy.

I basically have a 1 moa (for 5 shots) rifle. Rather than disturb what's left of its originality, I'm leaving it as is. I appreciate everyone's input on how to bed them and stuff. I could see doing that, if it was shooting 2+" groups. However, with that being said, if someone wants to post pics of how their bedding jobs look and how it's done, I'd love to see them. Pete53, that means you buddy. Thanks guys!!

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
BSA,

I fitted a synthetic stock set to a #1 and had to bed all contact surfaces. For the forearm, that entails prepping. I used modeling clay, then had a gunsmith point out that plumber's putty does the same thing, but removal is much easier. The main point of fitting is the front of the hanger. I used Apoxie Sculpt as it is easy to work with, and will not run.

This is the prep I did since I was doing the entire bedding operation.

After the hanger area was bedded, I used the Apoxie Sculpt at the junction of the receiver front - rear of forearm. One layer of tape ensures a slight gap to prevent binding.

I used Marine Tex to finish the bedding job. The forearm makes contact with the hanger, but the barrel and front of receiver is free floated,

As a side note, the forearm needed some work before I could even start to fit it. I had to build up some fiberglass on the left side, then hog out material on the inside to where I had a nice fit to the receiver. You can see on the left, the dark area is the original material, and the lighter, is the material I added.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by scoony
BSA,

I fitted a synthetic stock set to a #1 and had to bed all contact surfaces. For the forearm, that entails prepping. I used modeling clay, then had a gunsmith point out that plumber's putty does the same thing, but removal is much easier. The main point of fitting is the front of the hanger. I used Apoxie Sculpt as it is easy to work with, and will not run.

This is the prep I did since I was doing the entire bedding operation.

After the hanger area was bedded, I used the Apoxie Sculpt at the junction of the receiver front - rear of forearm. One layer of tape ensures a slight gap to prevent binding.

I used Marine Tex to finish the bedding job. The forearm makes contact with the hanger, but the barrel and front of receiver is free floated,

As a side note, the forearm needed some work before I could even start to fit it. I had to build up some fiberglass on the left side, then hog out material on the inside to where I had a nice fit to the receiver. You can see on the left, the dark area is the original material, and the lighter, is the material I added.

Nice work scoony. I appreciate that!! I can see doing that with a plastic stock, but I don't think I want to mess with my wood stock set. Now, if it shot 3" groups, hell yes I'd probably be trying something. Never been afraid to mess with epoxy, as long as a good release agent is used. Thanks for the pics

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BSA,
Nice find on that No.1. I've had a yearning for a No.1 in 25-06 for a while just haven't scratched that itch yet.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i put in some bids on a gun auction was lucky i got the bid on a used custom 6 Br ss with real nice wood Ruger #1 once i glass bed part of the forearm i will see how well this new to me rifle shoots ?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
i put in some bids on a gun auction was lucky i got the bid on a used custom 6 Br ss with real nice wood Ruger #1 once i glass bed part of the forearm i will see how well this new to me rifle shoots ?

Keep us posted pete. Thanks!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
BSA,
Nice find on that No.1. I've had a yearning for a No.1 in 25-06 for a while just haven't scratched that itch yet.

Thanks buddy. I kind of lucked into this one. Glad it fell into my lap though. It's been a fun rifle to mess around with. I was a little worried at first, before I shot it. The reason I started the thread: Have heard some stories about the ones that don't shoot well. I'm pretty happy this one is not like the one in Oregon. That poor guy was ready to pull his hair out over that rifle.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I always like posts like this. I asked pretty much the same question after I had bought two #1's on sale at Cabelas. Read it here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...er-1-accuraccy-expectations#Post12054042

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by meddybemps
I always like posts like this. I asked pretty much the same question after I had bought two #1's on sale at Cabelas. Read it here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...er-1-accuraccy-expectations#Post12054042

Thanks for posting the link. Pretty interesting read there.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My #1, a 7x57 from the late 70’s. It isn’t bedded, it’s always shot very well. But I believe the load I’m using now is a good one.
I think it is load that BSA posted for his 7-08 with Hunter powder. My rifle likes it and is very consistent with it.
It is my only #1 but of a sample of one it is a very good one.

Last edited by SS336; 11/28/23.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
not sure if i posted this but one of the Ruger #1`s i got off the auction was a 6BR s.s. ,trigger was change , has a HIcks forearm screw system and completely glass bedded forearm , varmint s.s. match grade target barrel slow twist , so it shoots 70 gr. bullets in a hole. i did change scope put a big target Nightforce scope on this rifle . i need to shoot it much more yet had a deer season interruption. but this Ruger #1 6 BR shoots under 3/8 groups at 100 yds. 5 shot groups i expect this rifle too shoot 2`s and 3`s this winter this 6 BR #1 is impressive to shoot . i always wanted one these 6 BR rifles ! Pete53 " paid $1300.00 total "

Last edited by pete53; 11/28/23.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SS336
My #1, a 7x57 from the late 70’s. It isn’t bedded, it’s always shot very well. But I believe the load I’m using now is a good one.
I think it is load that BSA posted for his 7-08 with Hunter powder. My rifle likes it and is very consistent with it.
It is my only #1 but of a sample of one it is a very good one.

For some reason I'm not seeing the pictures. Would love to see it though. A good shooting ruger #1 7x57 would be damn cool. I'm glad I saw this thread yesterday after meddybemp bumped it to the first page again. I was out and about looking at some gunshops and ran across one a week ago for $749 and another yesterday for $850. The one yesterday was a nice looking red pad 30-06. The stock was nicely figured, but I think the LOP was shortened. The original recoil pad base was ground on, making me think it was altered. It had irons, a schnabel forend tip like my rifle has and a skinny barrel. Appeared to be about 22" long. I was thinking yesterday that it may not shoot well, configured as such, but I may be wrong???

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My late hunting partner nigh obsessed over a Ruger #1 for about 5 years going the whole nine yards - swapping barrels, re-chamberings, bedding, free floating, a new trigger and a couple more professional adjustments before he realized his dream of a genuine "one-holer" rifle, in the end chambered in 22 PPC.

The target with which he was most pleased were three successive 3 shot groups of 25, 50, and 100 thou. groups at 100 yards at the Twin City Rifle Club. When viewed by the reserved "Alfie" Janzer, formerly of Northland Firearms in Waterloo he stated, "Hey - that's pretty good."

I'll need to bother his daughter for the load data and targets.

That was the most accurate Ruger #1 I ever shot.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by olgrouser
My late hunting partner nigh obsessed over a Ruger #1 for about 5 years going the whole nine yards - swapping barrels, re-chamberings, bedding, free floating, a new trigger and a couple more professional adjustments before he realized his dream of a genuine "one-holer" rifle, in the end chambered in 22 PPC.

The target with which he was most pleased were three successive 3 shot groups of 25, 50, and 100 thou. groups at 100 yards at the Twin City Rifle Club. When viewed by the reserved "Alfie" Janek, (sp?) formerly of Northland Firearms in Waterloo he stated, "Hey - that's pretty good."

I'll need to bother his daughter for the load data and targets.

That was the most accurate Ruger #1 I ever shot.

Sounds like your buddy knew how to tune them. That is pretty damn good.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
No. 1H 375 H&H, 1-4x scope at 100 yds:

Last time shot on paper:

No. 1S 24" 30-06, 1-4x scope at 100 yds:

No. 3 22 K-Hornet, 4.5-14x scope at 100 yds, (5 &10 shot groups):

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Man, nothing wrong with them 1's!

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ruger #1`s not accurate ? i think the guys that can`t shoot a Ruger #1 accurate probably can`t shoot any rifle very accurate ?

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
My only experience with the No. 1 was a stainless/laminate version in 25-06 that I had for my extremely left eye dominant wife. I taught her to shoot lefty w/ it and she shot it great. I ultimately sold it here as she didn’t want to hunt.

That particular rifle shot roughly 1.25 MOA. More importantly it landed the first cold bore shot centered and 1.75” high every single time w/ Fed Premium 115 Partitions. I used the gun on 3 hunts that I recall and it was a buck magnet! On all three trips I had a buck run in front of me inside of 20 yards. 2 of them met the criteria of the day and got a ride in my truck.

It is one gun I regret selling from time to time.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by strosfann
My only experience with the No. 1 was a stainless/laminate version in 25-06 that I had for my extremely left eye dominant wife. I taught her to shoot lefty w/ it and she shot it great. I ultimately sold it here as she didn’t want to hunt.

That particular rifle shot roughly 1.25 MOA. More importantly it landed the first cold bore shot centered and 1.75” high every single time w/ Fed Premium 115 Partitions. I used the gun on 3 hunts that I recall and it was a buck magnet! On all three trips I had a buck run in front of me inside of 20 yards. 2 of them met the criteria of the day and got a ride in my truck.

It is one gun I regret selling from time to time.

Sounds like an awesome rifle. I bet you regret selling it!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had three Ruger No.1's, all were red pads (in the 1980's into the early 1990's).

1.) A No. 1A in 7X57. It was a nice trim rifle in a round that was ever so pleasant to shoot. The best I could get it to do was a load with Nosler 160 grainers that would shoot into 1 1/2 inches. I loaded a 160 grain Nosler spitzer 'barely' in the case neck... and they never touched the lands due to the freebore - which I blamed for the 'inaccuracy'... If a rifle wouldn't shoot an inch or less it went down the road. Sold it to a friend for his left handed wife... In spite of the poor showing from the bench - somehow she managed to kill several deer with it.

2.) A Ruger No. 1S in 45-70. I shot nothing but paper patched 400 grain pure lead bullets (that I cast), put several hundred through the gun. This rifle, with my maximum handloads would shoot into an inch (often less), but I would sometimes get fliers that would bring it out to 1 1/2 inches (2 would be touching and the third would be out)... Not sure but I felt this might be from (internal) casting irregularities. However it was brutal off the bench... which may have accounted for some of the flyers.

3.) Another trim and handy little No.1A in 30-06. As I recall it shot pretty much everything into an inch. In a moment of stupidity I traded it for another gun. Why oh why did I let this one go?

I've read of accuracy issues with the No.1's, read articles by Ross Seyfreid and others on cures... forearm hangers, forearm bedding, etc. But except for the 7X57, never had an issue... and I still believe that was due to the excessive freebore.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Here’s one I KNOW is super accurate…

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1024571142

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Ruger #1`s not accurate ? i think the guys that can`t shoot a Ruger #1 accurate probably can`t shoot any rifle very accurate ?

I Know a couple good shooters that had verified Ruger #1 problems. They also had other good #1s.
Also know of one rifle, new, that shot poorly, but was good after Ruger rebarreled it.

Stuff happens.

Last edited by hookeye; 12/16/23.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Ruger’s were never known for being accurate, I’ve owned a few 77’s and moved them on down the line quickly, no more for me.

Fück Joe byron
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GF1

Sounds like it shoots pretty good. But how consistent is that?

Originally Posted by Hammer2506
Ruger’s were never known for being accurate, I’ve owned a few 77’s and moved them on down the line quickly, no more for me.

77's can be made to shoot. If you don't know the ins and outs of them, they need to be passed on to someone else that knows them.

I've had far more good shooting model 77's than I've had poor shooting ones. However, this thread is about Ruger #1's, not model 77's.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by GF1

77's can be made to shoot. If you don't know the ins and outs of them, they need to be passed on to someone else that knows them.

I've had far more good shooting model 77's than I've had poor shooting ones. However, this thread is about Ruger #1's, not model 77's.

#1’s are the worst, exactly why I never owned one.

Fück Joe byron
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I owned a #1V in .22-250 for many years that would shoot five shot five-eights inch groups consistently with my handloads. That is with a very long throat as was common in the mid-seventies #1s. My son currently has the rifle and it still shoots well. I also had a #3 that would shoot consistent three-quarter inch five shot groups, again with favorite handloads.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by GF1

If you've never owned one, how do you know they are "the worst"?

Have posted this before, perhaps even on this thread:

The early No. 1s had Douglas barrels, and grouped well. I know this partly due to owning an early .300 Winchester Magnum, which would regularly put five shots (not just three) under an inch at 100 yards.

The big problem with No. 1s for many years was Bill Ruger buying barrels from other companies than Douglas. One of them made some good barrels, and some that weren't so good.

This changed in the early 1990s when Bill Ruger decided it was time to start making barrels, and after considerable investigation bought a hammer-forging setup from a company in Germany. The first No. 1 I owned that had one of those barrels was a .300 Weatherby 1B--and like that Douglas barreled .300 Winchester would put five shots (not just three) into less than an inch.

Have owned 15-20 No. 1s since that change, and all have grouped very well--including a .22 Hornet that with its best load consistently put five into less than half an inch at 100 yards.

But always "interesting" to hear from those who have zero experience in what they're talking about....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by GF1

The early No. 1s had Douglas barrels, and grouped well. I know this partly due to owning an early .300 Winchester Magnum, which would regularly put five shots (not just three) under an inch at 100 yards.

The big problem with No. 1s for many years was Bill Ruger buying barrels from other companies than Douglas. One of them made some good barrels, and some that weren't so good.

This changed in the early 1990s when Bill Ruger decided it was time to start making barrels, and after considerable investigation bought a hammer-forging setup from a company in Germany. The first No. 1 I owned that had one of those barrels was a .300 Weatherby 1B--and like that Douglas barreled .300 Winchester would put five shots (not just three) into less than an inch.

Have owned 15-20 No. 1s since that change, and all have grouped very well--including a .22 Hornet that with its best load consistently put five into less than half an inch at 100 yards.

But always "interesting" to hear from those who have zero experience in what they're talking about....

Had a friend who owned several, none of them were under 1” guns, he sold or traded them off, and that is why I never owned not one.

Last edited by Hammer2506; 12/20/23.

Fück Joe byron
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have at least 8 #1's and a tang safty M77 all of which shoot well some exceptionally well like the #1 in 250 Savage.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"#1’s are the worst, exactly why I never owned one."

"Had a friend who owned several, none of them were under 1” guns, he sold or traded them off, and that is why I never owned not one."

Well, since around 1975 I've bought and collected about 20 Ruger #1s in various configurations from .22 Hornet to .416 Rigby. Only one was bad enough that it had to go back to Ruger. They rebarreled it at no charge. A good shooter now.

I guess a lot of this conversations has to be based on what on considers good. While tiny groups thrill me to no end I consider rifles that do not deliver tiny groups to be just fine if I can get them to at least be a 1.5" gun or less on a consistent basis. I have two out of the 20 something in my collection that fail the test. I have since learned of a few more tricks that just may bring them into line.

I don't hunt varmints on a regular basis other than the occasional jackrabbit of coyote s a target of opportunity so just about any cartridge works just fine for me. I stopped hunting with my #1s in 2021 as the ranch where I did my guided elk hunt would not allow the use of single shot rifles. Not my choice but if I wanted to do the hunt, I had to use a "repeater". Funny thing, that's funny peculiar not funny haha but every elk (6) I took off the place was taken with one shot.

Disregarding dangerous game which I'll probably never hunt, I'm quite comfortable using my Ruger #1s or my one and only Browning B78 on just about any animal that walks the earth

PJ

MOLON LABE
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GF1

JB, in another thread, you said that either the black pad or red pad #1 rifles shot better. Can't remember which one it was. Thinking the black pad ones?

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
"#1’s are the worst, exactly why I never owned one."

"Had a friend who owned several, none of them were under 1” guns, he sold or traded them off, and that is why I never owned not one."

Well, since around 1975 I've bought and collected about 20 Ruger #1s in various configurations from .22 Hornet to .416 Rigby. Only one was bad enough that it had to go back to Ruger. They rebarreled it at no charge. A good shooter now.

I guess a lot of this conversations has to be based on what on considers good. While tiny groups thrill me to no end I consider rifles that do not deliver tiny groups to be just fine if I can get them to at least be a 1.5" gun or less on a consistent basis. I have two out of the 20 something in my collection that fail the test. I have since learned of a few more tricks that just may bring them into line.

I don't hunt varmints on a regular basis other than the occasional jackrabbit of coyote s a target of opportunity so just about any cartridge works just fine for me. I stopped hunting with my #1s in 2021 as the ranch where I did my guided elk hunt would not allow the use of single shot rifles. Not my choice but if I wanted to do the hunt, I had to use a "repeater". Funny thing, that's funny peculiar not funny haha but every elk (6) I took off the place was taken with one shot.

Disregarding dangerous game which I'll probably never hunt, I'm quite comfortable using my Ruger #1s or my one and only Browning B78 on just about any animal that walks the earth

PJ

PJ, that is commendable. Using a single shot makes you focus more on making that 1 shot count. Something most of us should be doing anyway. I also agree. I draw the line at a consistent 1.5" for a hunting rifle. Sometimes I'll drive myself crazy getting far better than that, but as long as your rifle puts that bullet close to where you are aiming every time, it's all good. I would not deal well with a rifle that has multiple different points of impact though. That schidt just doesn't fly with me. I think I already told the story here, but a few months back I had a nice older gentleman watching as I shot my Ruger #1. I didn't realize he was watching as I shot my groups for load testing. Later he comes up to me and said, "that has got to be the best shooting Ruger #1 I've seen". He said the one he has will start stringing shots when the barrel heats up, by as much as 4 inches!!. He said it's fine for hunting, but he can't shoot groups like I was doing. He really looked baffled too, as my rifle was laying them in there. All in the same area respectively. There was a slight variation in POI due to the differing charge weights, but still pretty respectable.

I need to get out and shoot my #1 again. One of my buddies was asking if I could bring it out the next time we go shooting. He's always wanted a Ruger #1, and always tells me the story about him missing out on a $700.00 #1 270 winchester. He kicks himself in the azz over that one quite often. I'll let him shoot mine, but that may make him go out and buy one. ha ha..

BSA MAGA
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by GF1

It is very consistent, and isn’t picky about bullet weight. Shot several groups .5 MOA and under, don’t recall one over MOA. And zero stays the same.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GF1
Originally Posted by GF1

It is very consistent, and isn’t picky about bullet weight. Shot several groups .5 MOA and under, don’t recall one over MOA. And zero stays the same.

That's a keeper in my book. Thanks for sharing!!

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I need to get out and shoot my #1 again. One of my buddies was asking if I could bring it out the next time we go shooting. He's always wanted a Ruger #1, and always tells me the story about him missing out on a $700.00 #1 270 winchester. He kicks himself in the azz over that one quite often. I'll let him shoot mine, but that may make him go out and buy one. ha ha..

Haha! I'm still kicking myself 50 years later for walking away from a bunch of #1's at a LGS, barreled actions only, that were priced at $200 or a little less. Back then Ruger marketed a few barreled actions to "the trade", but to a kid making around 10K a year with a new wife and a fresh mortgage it wasn't gonna happen for me. Still and all, if I could hike back there in Mr. Peabody's WayBack Machine I would sell the wifie-poo, tell the bank manager to get stuffed, and sell the Jaguar I was driving (c'mon, it was a ratty rotten XK-150 that I bought for a whopping $900), and bought 'em all and snicker today while guys cry about how things have become.

As it is I'll whine along with y'all! grin

Last edited by gnoahhh; 12/21/23.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Had a friend who owned several, none of them were under 1” guns, he sold or traded them off, and that is why I never owned not one.

Gee whiz! Did it ever occur to you that the problem might not have been with the No. 1s?

As noted in my earlier post, have owned plenty of sub-1" No. 1s, both early and from the 1990s onward....

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Might add that around 20 years ago went on a prairie dog shoot with several people in the rifle industry, including Allan Hall, the well-known benchrest gunsmith. (https://hallmfg.com)

One of the rifles I brought was a Ruger No. 1B in 220 Swift, which grouped very well. Allan wasn't surprised, and said that he can fiddle with the forends of No. 1s and often get the factory barrels to group into .25 or less at 100 yards. This was a decade or so after Ruger started hammer-forging their barrels.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Gee whiz! Did it ever occur to you that the problem might not have been with the No. 1s?

As noted in my earlier post, have owned plenty of sub-1" No. 1s, both early and from the 1990s onward....
Yep had a few.(2) 22-250’’s ,25/06, 257 Rob, 220 swift, 45/70, 300 Wm, 30/06,270,375h&h,223. #3 in 22 Hornet and 30/40. Also had a 45/70 but never shot it.
Still have the 223,257,30/06,300,375.( need to shoot the 375, 30-06.
Never had one that wouldn’t shoot under a inch. Some took some forend work.
Also has been my experience with 77’s still waiting for a bad one. Im sure eventually I will find one.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I had 2 R#1 in 45-70. Both shot well enough. Would blow a large hole thru a deer chest.
But they kicked like a mule and both moved on. Not sure why I got the second one.

then I acquired a long throated #1 in 7x57. I relieved the wood on rear of fore end from touching
the action, put some bedding in the front of the fore end and forced a fairly solid piece of plastic
between the hanger and the barrel. It shoots one moa and holds zero from session to session.

Did the same to a R#3 in 223 and it shoots well also. Both have killed deer.
Both are a little choosy on bullets they like.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My biggest regret regarding a #1 was selling a AB model in 7X57. This had very nice wood (one of the main reasons I bought ) and shot very well. I took it to Africa for my light rifle. I had commisioned a custom 7X57AI on a Sako action and didn't figure at that time I needed two 7X57's (now I have three) and sold it. That was probably 40 years ago and I still miss that rifle and have never seen another one.
I love hunting with a single shot be it with a #1, B78 Browning or a Winchester High Walll. Aim small miss small.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Hi guys.
I’ve come into possession of I think 3 #1s in my life and sent them all along. Being primarily a control shooter a single shot is not really the ticket.
The last I had I sold last summer was a swift, manufactured in 96. The guy I sold it to is a good bench shooter and said it was pretty good as was. Better than most out of the box and making bug holes.
For what it’s worth as far as timeline on the barrels.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had three #1’s, a .45-70, .300 Win Mag, and a .30-06. I couldn’t get the ‘06 to shoot well, but I didn’t tinker with it.

Two #3’s, a .30-40 Krag that was a good shooter and a .22 Hornet that got the best of me. Those were mid to late 70’s.

Never got the urge to buy any more.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Some great info in this thread. I appreciate it!! As luck would have it, I've been seeing more Ruger #1's for sale, when out and about. About 3 different rifles I can think of. Some ranging in price from $750 to $1,400.00. Chambered in 30-06, 280, and 7mm rem mag.. The 30-06 being the least expensive, but it's also had its stock shortened a bit!!!! Retains the red pad though.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I've had 3 #1's and a #3. With work they all shot sub MOA. Out of the box, not so good. The fix was found in modification of the forend hanger and a touch of bedding.

I traded for a 6mm #1 here on the Fire. Bad mistake. At least so far. I love the looks of the #1’s and so far lost money in ever buy and sell of #1’s because I won’t sell a [bleep] shooting rifle for what I paid for them.

But, after much encouragement from others, I’ll do like DD and mess with fore-end hanger etc. I might send it to a #1 expert. I’d really like to have a great shooting #1. I might even have it bored and chambered to something bigger???

My brother bought a #1 in Tulsa a few years ago in 223AI and it’s very accurate.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
not sure if i posted this but one of the Ruger #1`s i got off the auction was a 6BR s.s. ,trigger was change , has a HIcks forearm screw system and completely glass bedded forearm , varmint s.s. match grade target barrel slow twist , so it shoots 70 gr. bullets in a hole. i did change scope put a big target Nightforce scope on this rifle . i need to shoot it much more yet had a deer season interruption. but this Ruger #1 6 BR shoots under 3/8 groups at 100 yds. 5 shot groups i expect this rifle too shoot 2`s and 3`s this winter this 6 BR #1 is impressive to shoot . i always wanted one these 6 BR rifles ! Pete53 " paid $1300.00 total "

been working with Tac powder lately i kinda getting mixed results but i really like how Tac powder runs thru my Redding bench rest volume powder measure , Varget powder so far still groups the best and most consistent , i am going to try a more max loads with Tac powder if the wind ever quits.

Last edited by pete53; 01/15/24.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Might add that around 20 years ago went on a prairie dog shoot with several people in the rifle industry, including Allan Hall, the well-known benchrest gunsmith. (https://hallmfg.com)

One of the rifles I brought was a Ruger No. 1B in 220 Swift, which grouped very well. Allan wasn't surprised, and said that he can fiddle with the forends of No. 1s and often get the factory barrels to group into .25 or less at 100 yards. This was a decade or so after Ruger started hammer-forging their barrels.

Great words. I sold that same rifle, same caliber to a good guy here in Montana. The rifle had never been fired. He said it was good as is but he tweaked a bit inside the forearm and now that swift is a one holer.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bumping this thread along, as I watched this video that this guy posted earlier today. I don't think he gets it. He wants to throw stupid bs into it, like correlations between numbers and velocity figures. Like I say a lot of times, leave the chrono at home, shoot the rifle and let it tell you what it likes. He has a mechanical issue with his rifle. Will he get it? Probably not.

Interesting video, nonetheless.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
my main Ruger #1`s i use and play with many times its the wood forearm, so i glass bed 2-3 inches of the back of the forearm and float the rest forearm barrel channel has always helped. but i did buy a used 6 BR Ruger #1 that had a Hicks forearm system and the entire forearm channel was nicely glass bedded and this rifle shoots excellent too.
> one year ago i purchased a nice used Ruger #1 1B 257 Roberts without doing any stock work and just a medium handload this rifle shot 1 1/2 inches so i rework the forearm got the groups down to 1 inch i then purchased some 75 GR. Hammer Hunter bullets because this rifle has a slower barrel twist and started using Reloader 17 after trying other powders and the groups were under 3/4 inch and i decided that`s good enough groups and with low recoil for my 11 yr.old grandson Alex and Alex does shoot the rifle good kill a deer on his 1st shot . i am convinced many accuracy problems with a Ruger #1 is the forearm more than the barrels. > almost forgot to mention this once i have barrel channel opened up so barrel is floated past the glass bedding i always use true oil to seal the wood about 2 coats of true oil. i always check once rifle is back together with a thin piece of paper that the barrel is floated past the bedding too.

Last edited by pete53; 03/11/24.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had one in .280 Rem. back in 1997. Bought it for $340 used at a gunshop. Shooting only factory 150gr. Partitions, it would group under 2" at 200yds. everyday. It never had any work done to it.

They are such nice rifles and well made. But it didn't suit my type of hunting. It was too heavy and that lever liked to stab my leg when sitting in a tree stand. I couldn't find a reason to keep it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JD45
I had one in .280 Rem. back in 1997. Bought it for $340 used at a gunshop. Shooting only factory 150gr. Partitions, it would group under 2" at 200yds. everyday. It never had any work done to it.

They are such nice rifles and well made. But it didn't suit my type of hunting. It was too heavy and that lever liked to stab my leg when sitting in a tree stand. I couldn't find a reason to keep it.

yep Ruger #1`s are more difficult to move around with , i hunt mostly either out west and watch ravines with a bi-pod or in Minnesota in my green fiberglass stand in a swamp so i am not moving as much , but i still shoot my share of decent bucks . mine is a Ruger #1 257 Weatherby mag. Brux barrel that shoots 103 gr. Hammer hunter 3680 FPS average so trying to get close i don`t have too , i snipe those bucks .

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

300 weatherby. Paid $750 for it, I’m guessing that’s a decent deal?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bought an old Ruger #1 in 30-06 with an old 3x9 Leupold. Took it to the range about two weeks ago with some 167 gr Scenar reloads. The old guy I bought it from complained he shot it once a number of years ago and could not get under a four inch string. I shot it to 300 meters and put five shots on a 2x2 piece of paper taped to a six in metal plate so yes I think at least that one shoots well...Best 500 bucks I have spent in a while.. It looks like brand new...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
[Linked Image]

Very nice. Good score. Do you load for that cartridge? That is a hammer right there.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JD45

Makes sense. I'm a bolt gun guy myself. Have always loved the looks of the Ruger #1 though. They have a good following and really retain their value.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
[Linked Image]

Very nice. Good score. Do you load for that cartridge? That is a hammer right there.

I have a stainless classic in a 300 Weatherby so yes I load for it.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I just traded for my third Ruger #1 in 25-06. I'll report back after I shoot it as to how it groups.
I've owned at least one Ruger 25-06 (most model 77's) everyday since my first one 52 years ago. Yep, you can say I'm a fan of that manufacturer and that cartridge.

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 03/11/24.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
I just traded for my third Ruger #1 in 25-06. I'll report back after I shoot it as to how it groups.
I've owned at least one Ruger 25-06 (most model 77's) everyday since my first one 52 years ago. Yep, you can say I'm a fan of that manufacturer and that cartridge.

good for you ! i am going to Africa in a couple of months but because of my enjoyment for my Ruger #1`s i own i won`t take any of them to Africa for fear of damage and /or it could be lost or stolen. yes Ruger # 1`s are very dear to many of us and i have other rifles i can take on a trip like this. enjoy those #1`s ,Pete53

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 64 invisible), 2,161 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,486
Posts18,508,976
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.