Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A lot of fan boys that like to sound in the know.

Have had 1 rifle that had to be switched during a hunt due to a bolt handle not working. The smith that fixed the model 70 said he’s seen almost as many 70 classics with bolt problems as 700’s.

Fan boys are a funny lot.

Originally Posted by Ky221
What a fickle bunch.

Timney was never not a good trigger. Now TT is on the scene and a factory rifle coming with a Timney is debated. Lol.

I have both TT and Timney and cannot tell a difference in quality. Actually, come to think of it...I've had to send a TT back, haven't had to send a Timney in yet.

After owning 25 or so 700 I can honestly say that I've never had a bolt handle fall off or an extractor break....course anything is possible I reckon. But I did have a m70 that didnt function worth a dam, have returned two Sako 85s, etc.

Has anyone here actually seen a new model 700? They are some of the nicest rifles Remington has put out in years. The finish on the BDL models are reminiscent of the guns from the 70s and 80s.

If I can get a model 700 with a Timney with a fit and finish that's on par or maybe even a bit better with the guns of the past for 650$....I'll take two.

Sure makes it hard to beleive all of the claims of lousy 700 quality when they are now upgraded in every way possible and you guys are still unhappy.

HR IC

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by bluefish
I must say buying a Remington for a BB hunt or any other DG hunt strikes me as not unlike wearing sneakers to a black tie event.

Also wore sneakers to my wedding.
I'd do both again.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
online dice roller d6

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The truth of the matter is that 99% of the folks that slam Remington 700 rifles have more than likely never owned one. I've had dozens, maybe more, and if I were to buy a new rifle today, that's what I'd buy. Have they had some issues..........sure, I've had a bolt handle fall off, and a trigger go bad, but given the immense number of 700's that have been made, the odds say that some are going to be faulty.......just like any other product that man has ever made. I've seen a new Winchester 94 that was covered in rust so bad that it was practically worthless. I've seen a new Ruger 10-22, arguably the best semi-auto 22 rifle ever made, have a magazine that wouldn't stay in. I had a new Mossberg shotgun that had a safety that would freeze up. Chit happens, and that's just the way it is.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
So now an adl will cost $650?

Pass the vanguards...

Yup. All day, every day.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Hugh_W2
This is just another layer of protection from liability plaintiff attorneys. Remington is probably still wincing from the cost of all the Walker trigger law suits.

Why is it only Remington doing this? Because only Remington had the defective Walker trigger, which they refused to fix until the bean counters made them.

Remington should be wincing from their poor decision-making. Stupid should hurt. And Remington acted stupidly about their Walker trigger.

Glad Timney got the business. They are not ashamed of their Christian faith.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by plumbum
This is just another layer of protection from liability plaintiff attorneys. Remington is probably still wincing from the cost of all the Walker trigger law suits.

Why is it only Remington doing this? Because only Remington had the defective Walker trigger, which they refused to fix until the bean counters made them.

Remington should be wincing from their poor decision-making. Stupid should hurt. And Remington acted stupidly about their Walker trigger.

Talking about stupid while thinking the trigger was defective is hilarious.

That trigger suffered from one thing, and that was fiddle factor. That's it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To be clear, I'm a Timney fan, I just wouldn't want to pay a premium price for a rifle to include a Timney model that won't adjust to my meet my own requirements. How many others out there right now offer upgraded triggers over yesteryear's models that also include some method of adjusting the pull weight? Several.

Many hunters likely will be happy with a clean, non-adjustable 3.5lb Timney factory-installed for some extra $$$, I just happen to not be one of them. I want the ability to adjust down to the low 2lb range if I'm paying more than $50 for a trigger upgrade. If the rifle price only goes up $50 due to this new Timney, that's fine, as a guy can likely flip them for close to that on the used market.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ky221
Originally Posted by plumbum

As big of a Remington fan as I am, I have to say this……I had a trigger fail on a Model 7 that I bought new. Don’t know why it did, as I didn’t look into the issue any further, I just immediately replaced it with a Timney. I believe there were some problems and they were mostly due to people messing with the trigger. But it wasn’t all operator error.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Trigger is the last thing I'd worry about in a rifle. Pop out 2 pins and replace it. Big deal. Maching and squaring the action to the barrel is my deal. Put a trigger tech in a caddy ass wompus barreled action and you ain't got nothing. You can put a trued up barreled action in a 2x4 with a 12 pound trigger and get better results. Remington has done this with the rar models. Talked with a smith who was gonna blueprint one. He said his tool barely touched the receiver. Both lugs were at like 85 percent too. Said the rem actions now blow the old stuff away. So a trigger? Buy a gun, and if you want the 1/2 Oz trigger to hunt in minus 10 degree weather or whatever, then go aftermarket and grab a TT.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Going to Timney isn't a bad thing. The Timney being non-adjustable isn't a good thing.

Going to guess that Timney gave them a deal on a non adjustable trigger.

It needed to be flushed out with a rem oil and then blown out with compressed air occasionally.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hmmm... what's with what looks like 2-inch recoil pads on the CDL's when the chamberings only go up to 300 WM?

Did they have a bunch of short LOP stocks left over from the prior bunch that they then corrected with thick spacers?

The BDL's don't show that, only the CDL's.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Puddle
Hmmm... what's with what looks like 2-inch recoil pads on the CDL's when the chamberings only go up to 300 WM?

Did they have a bunch of short LOP stocks left over from the prior bunch that they then corrected with thick spacers?

those were the ugliest damn rifles.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Plumbum said, "Remington should be wincing from their poor decision-making. Stupid should hurt. And Remington acted stupidly about their Walker trigger."

IIRC, Remington didn't change the trigger because the change would have cost five cents more to slightly modify the Walker trigger to make it safe. I think Remington has made how many rifles with the Walker trigger, Seven million plus? A 7,000,000 rifles at five cents a pop, it would have cost "Big R" $350.000 in the long run, figure maybe another $100,000 tops allowing for cost of living increases. Chump change when one considers what the law suits cost them.

The only Remingtons having bolt handles come off were on those IIRC 588s. At least I think that was the model number. I think that when I was working with a gunsmith back in the late 70s and early 80s before he passed that we averaged about three or four a year of them having the bolt handles come off. A happening due to idiots and way too hot handloads most of the time. I have three M700, BDL 30-06, and two Classics, a 30-06 and .35 Whelen, and have never had a problem in any way, shape or form. On the other hand, my Remington M660 in .308 had trigger problems fixed by Remington and the extractor gave up the ghost after about 5,000 rounds of mostly cast bullet fun loads. Probably 20 percent of the ammo run through it was full power hunting load but the rest were definitely on the lighter side.

I might give one of the new Remingtons a try if they ever bring one out in either 7x57 or .280 Rem. A BDL, CDL or Classic would be just fine.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by blairvt
Originally Posted by Puddle

those were the ugliest damn rifles.

I don't know what they were thinking but I totally agree with you. NO way to fix it unless you wanted a shorter LOP.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If they would use the old 660 style that was adjustable and had the
Ultra Light style bolt locking safety, I'd be very interested.

Tikka, still has my focus.
Quality, good trigger. Safety locked.

Safety locks the bolt.

Last is controversial, I like 'em locked.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
So now an adl will cost $650?

Pass the vanguards...

Pass on both.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With so many different companies in the rifle game now that offer more than what Remington will be offering at the same price point it will be hard for Remington to compete. Especially with the bad reputation they have gotten in the past several years. It’ll be interesting to see if they can pull through this with the Model 700. I own a bunch of Remington 700 actions and do hope they will make it. With that being said most hunters will be content with a non adjustable Timney trigger. I wouldn’t be one of them though.

You ain't about that life.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Stock Rem 700 trigger is one component that I always replace on Rem 700 rifles when I purchase them. Always replaced with a Timney. The move to outsource Timney triggers and nicer composite stocks (AG Composites?) means that I may give Rem Arms a closer look in the future. At least it appears they are trying to clean up the mess.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Stock Rem 700 trigger is one component that I always replace on Rem 700 rifles when I purchase them. Always replaced with a Timney. The move to outsource Timney triggers and nicer composite stocks (AG Composites?) means that I may give Rem Arms a closer look in the future. At least it appears they are trying to clean up the mess.

I believe the AG composite stocks are only on the Alpha model, not the regular 700s, with pricing something like $1,700.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Hamrick
Looks like Remington may be trying.

https://www.remarms.com/
It's taken 'em HOW MANY YEARS to realize their triggers are horsebleep??? HELLO???

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,736
Posts18,495,014
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.