Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
After the great thread “waterproofing boots”, I decided to try pure beeswax.
I treated my full leather Kennetrek boots with it by using a small pot on a single burner and applied it to the boot with a toothbrush. Then used a heat gun set on low to help melt it in. It was very messy getting it from pot to boot.

I recently treated a different pair of boots but tried a different method.

I stood my heat gun on my bench pointing up in the air and set it on low. Then grab the block of beeswax and hold the edge of it for a couple seconds in the hot air. Only takes a couple seconds to just soften the wax enough that I could rub the boot with the block and get a stiff waxy layer rubbed all over the boot with no dripping or mess. Then use the heat gun to help melt it into the boot. I kept repeating the process going back and forth on each boot until the leather seemed to be saturated. There was no mess and the boots didn’t seem to get as hot doing it this way.

Last edited by mod7rem; 07/14/23.
GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good way to ruin the leather. Ask me how I know.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I guess it depends on the tanning method used, but Sno-Seal was the gold standard for a long time. Haven't seen or used it in years, but I think it was high % beeswax.

Why is beeswax bad? Just want to know when i replace my current boots, which are about played out.

Dutch

"Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war."

Time to show your colors, MAGA.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Lot of this depends if your footwear has a liner or unlined or uninsulated. I wear tin cloth quite an bit of the year and make my own wax for my canvas. Mostly I've used Hubbard's or obendorfs boot conditioner for my boots in woods and my leather miner boots.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Use SNO-SEAL on all leather field items, tanned or suede.

Boots/slings/holsters...

Butter it up, bag it in a dark plastic bag, and put it on a hot dashboard for a few hours.

Repeat - until it quits takin' it in.

Then wipe off any excess with a paper towel.

You can also follow that up with a little household silicone spray.

GR

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
How do you know sir?

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Use SNO-SEAL on all leather field items, tanned or suede.

Boots/slings/holsters...

Butter it up, bag it in a dark plastic bag, and put it on a hot dashboard for a few hours.

Repeat - until it quits takin' it in.

Then wipe off any excess with a paper towel.

You can also follow that up with a little household silicone spray.

GR

This

M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by KC

Do you mean because of the beeswax or application method?
I don’t see any issues so far with my Kennetreks, but I haven’t had them in any really wet conditions yet to test how well the beeswax works compared to other treatments.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
mod7rem;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope your part of BC isn't too, too smoky today, that you're cooler than us and that your weekend is going well.

Thanks for sharing that method, I'm going to try it next time I do my boots with a coat of beeswax.

Like a yellow perch filleting video I watched a couple years back, I'm always amazed at how I seem to be capable of doing things the most difficult way humanly possible for decades. Then when presented with a better way, I must confess I'm a little ashamed I didn't think of it myself....

As you might or might not know, I've been running straight beeswax on my boots for years now, maybe 15?

I switched from Sno-Seal and believe the straight beeswax to both provide more water resistance as well as somewhat of a "slipperier" surface on the toes especially which help them last longer. I really noticed that in the steel toed work boots which I lived in back then.

Thanks much for the tip, I'll absolutely give that method a go.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by KC
I hope you are referring to the heat application and not the beeswax itself. If you are knocking beeswax on leather...you are knocking a thousand years of saddle and harness making tradition and flying in the face of generations of Pacific coast loggers that maintain their cork boots in a hundred inches of rain a year.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BC30cal
mod7rem;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope your part of BC isn't too, too smoky today, that you're cooler than us and that your weekend is going well.

Thanks for sharing that method, I'm going to try it next time I do my boots with a coat of beeswax.

Like a yellow perch filleting video I watched a couple years back, I'm always amazed at how I seem to be capable of doing things the most difficult way humanly possible for decades. Then when presented with a better way, I must confess I'm a little ashamed I didn't think of it myself....

As you might or might not know, I've been running straight beeswax on my boots for years now, maybe 15?

I switched from Sno-Seal and believe the straight beeswax to both provide more water resistance as well as somewhat of a "slipperier" surface on the toes especially which help them last longer. I really noticed that in the steel toed work boots which I lived in back then.

Thanks much for the tip, I'll absolutely give that method a go.

All the best.

Dwayne

Hi Dwayne.
We’ve got nice warm weather here, but unfortunately the smoke is thick and harsh. Don’t have to be outside long before I really start feeling the affects in my sinuses and lungs. I’ve had to switch to my treadmill inside to help get ready for sheep hunting next month, so that kind of sucks.

Yes I know from the other thread that you and others prefer beeswax for your boots so that’s why I’ve been trying it. The new pair I just treated are actually a lightweight synthetic and leather mixed boot with a leather rand around the bottom. I thought if I saturate that leather with the beeswax, maybe it will stand up better to cuts and abrasion like you and others have said. Thanks Dwayne.

Trever

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
In general, I consider Sno Seal a slight downgrade from nothing. Obenaufs is decent, that's what I use on everything except boots. Beeswax will stiffen leather considerably, but you will not wear out the leather, unless you are walking on obsidian or something, and it stays waterproof for a long time. It also retreats easily. Generally I lose stitching, and that's what kills the boots.

I like your application method OP. I damn near burned the house down on my first attempt. I use a similar method for gloves, but gloves are a lot easier given that you just put your hands in them, heat them a bit and smear. Keep the heat low or use a hair dryer, as too much heat will make it easy to ruin leather.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Used Sno Seal and heat for years with great success.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used wax toilet rings with a heat gun on my work boots and hunting boots for years. No issues whatsoever and works well.

Melt the wax in a coffee can and brush it on with a toothbrush and then give the boot a light blast with the heat gun. It's amazing how much wax leather will absorb.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Ive been using SnoSeal since the early '70s. Works great. No need for anything else.

I heat the boots with a blow dryer, and paint on melted wax.i alternate till the leather won't absorb anymore. I wipe off excess while boots are hot, and once more when they cool.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Reading through this, it occurs to me we haven’t had a good “boot waterproofing” thread here in a long time. Used to be as common as chainsaw threads (and just as contentious.)

I like Obenaufs and Montana pitchblend, have used both with good results.

One caution for those who would use silicone sprays: don’t overdo it in the seam between the sole and the upper or you will soon have problems. Personally, I wouldn’t use silicone on leather at all. It’s not quite the miracle juice for outdoor gear it was considered to be sixty years ago.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I've used wax toilet rings with a heat gun on my work boots and hunting boots for years. No issues whatsoever and works well.

Melt the wax in a coffee can and brush it on with a toothbrush and then give the boot a light blast with the heat gun. It's amazing how much wax leather will absorb.

Done this before, works well

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I imagine you know, hanco?

Toilet ring used to be beeswax, but have been some sort of polyurethane “wax” for years now?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
From the Snoseal SDS, it’s only 10%-20% various waxes.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by ironbender

Toilet ring used to be beeswax, but have been some sort of polyurethane “wax” for years now?

Yes but it seems to work ok, they were free.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco

Yes but it seems to work ok, they were free.
Yeah, free for the used ones!

wink

Last edited by Sitka deer; 07/17/23. Reason: Typo

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cwh2
In general, I consider Sno Seal a slight downgrade from nothing. Obenaufs is decent, that's what I use on everything except boots. Beeswax will stiffen leather considerably, but you will not wear out the leather, unless you are walking on obsidian or something, and it stays waterproof for a long time. It also retreats easily. Generally I lose stitching, and that's what kills the boots.

I like your application method OP. I damn near burned the house down on my first attempt. I use a similar method for gloves, but gloves are a lot easier given that you just put your hands in them, heat them a bit and smear. Keep the heat low or use a hair dryer, as too much heat will make it easy to ruin leather.
You are being overly kind to Sno-Seal...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Lot of this depends if your footwear has a liner or unlined or uninsulated. I wear tin cloth quite an bit of the year and make my own wax for my canvas. Mostly I've used Hubbard's or obendorfs boot conditioner for my boots in woods and my leather miner boots.
I have been using plain beeswax for many decades on all sorts and brands of boots. Lined and unlined, makes zero difference aside from eliminating breathability.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sno Seal - before and after: Adirondack M7/M9 Leather Shoulder Holster

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from s8.postimg.cc]

GR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sno Seal or wax ring for real moccasins and leather climbing boots using the sun as heat source.

10-12 applications for full waterproofing. Aids in scuffing instead of cutting leather.

Leather-soled moccasins. 18-19 miles in volcanic terrain. ~6 miles per trip. Still look like new for leather on pumice substrate.

Yes, I avoid ALL rocks!

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks great!

Minimal stitching.

Nicely done.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always rubbed snow seal on and sat them on the porch in the sun.
Repeat every evening until they quit absorbing it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
We used bear grease too, until we found something better

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
SnoSeal is great stuff if used where it doesn’t get wet.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Sno Seal or wax ring for real moccasins and leather climbing boots using the sun as heat source.

10-12 applications for full waterproofing. Aids in scuffing instead of cutting leather.

Leather-soled moccasins. 18-19 miles in volcanic terrain. ~6 miles per trip. Still look like new for leather on pumice substrate.

Yes, I avoid ALL rocks!
Beeswax, one application and tremendous durability...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
as a pole and tree climbing lineman for 35 years in northern Minnesota i and many others we cleaned our leather with saddle soap and then treated all our leather gear with Neets foot oil ,including our lineman boots .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing like some butter soft boots for backpacking.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I used some beeswax mix. Go to the Meindl USA website. They talk about using it (their version) as part of their boot care. I'll find out how good it works this winter...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Better padding for your ankle as it rolls! Duh!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not for moccasins, moron!

Guessing one coat would work for your mall walkers or your favorite: open-toed sandals!

Don't know why you show up here being a fn ignorant couch trekker.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

You another couch trekker? You sound like one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer a recliner. Didja notice the post of mine you quoted wasn't a reply to yours, dumbass?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I quoted it because you're a dumbass.

Thanks for playing, Tiny Dancer.

Now, go polident your cheeks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Guessing one coat would work for your mall walkers or your favorite: open-toed sandals!

Having met, hunted, fished, shot and more with hundreds of folks from the fire I am not very concerned about your appraisal skills. And even less impressed with your footwear selection skills.

But do go on.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad I stopped in down here.

Good reminder for while we have 95F weather to get the boots out and treat them now.

I've got a block of beeswax, might melt some and give it a try. Have been using SnoSeal for years, since at least '74 that I can recall. Have a couple of pairs of boots going on 20 years now, that's all they've had on them. Chippewa cap toe, unlined. No longer get worn daily as they did when new and I was working in them. Now used when I need a pair of boots for hiking or hunting instead of sandals or moccasins (or barefooted). Been resoled a time or three, more likely the latter.

Maybe I do a comparison, beeswax on one pair, the commercial stuff on the other. Probably should get the hiking boots out of the truck and do them again this summer too. Ah hell, probably get the Danners and Red Wings out too, although they are rarely worn anymore.

Maybe I get some pics to post. They sit on the trailer fender in the sun and get good and warm. I've used the hairdryer method, but Ma Nature gives us free heat this time of year.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Miss Sitka...hundreds? All in one day, then, otherwise little person, you're a lying mofo!

In case you don't understand...you're a lyin' mofo, missy.

You never post original material other than your Main Character Syndrome nonsense. Ask your grandkids for help. You could take lessons on internet comments, but you'd be better learning to function in the outdoors instead of being a leech. Steel wool, re tart!

Am at top of Ross Lake, WA (US Demarcation) for a month, starting 23rd. American Border Peak for two weeks and then Ross Lake again for a month. You can bring all of your 5'2" and both your limp wrists up there and ask around...you'll find me.

I'll be here...little missy. Can't wait!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Glad I stopped in down here.

Good reminder for while we have 95F weather to get the boots out and treat them now.

I've got a block of beeswax, might melt some and give it a try. Have been using SnoSeal for years, since at least '74 that I can recall. Have a couple of pairs of boots going on 20 years now, that's all they've had on them. Chippewa cap toe, unlined. No longer get worn daily as they did when new and I was working in them. Now used when I need a pair of boots for hiking or hunting instead of sandals or moccasins (or barefooted). Been resoled a time or three, more likely the latter.

Maybe I do a comparison, beeswax on one pair, the commercial stuff on the other. Probably should get the hiking boots out of the truck and do them again this summer too. Ah hell, probably get the Danners and Red Wings out too, although they are rarely worn anymore.

Maybe I get some pics to post. They sit on the trailer fender in the sun and get good and warm. I've used the hairdryer method, but Ma Nature gives us free heat this time of year.

Once SnoSeal has contaminated the leather the beeswax does not work nearly as well. It has trouble penetrating through all the solvent pockets. The wax and SnoSeal are far more viscous than water or slovents.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Miss Sitka...hundreds? All in one day, then, otherwise little person, you're a lying mofo!

In case you don't understand...you're a lyin' mofo, missy.

You never post original material other than your Main Character Syndrome nonsense. Ask your grandkids for help. You could take lessons on internet comments, but you'd be better learning to function in the outdoors instead of being a leech. Steel wool, re tart!

Am at top of Ross Lake, WA (US Demarcation) for a month, starting 23rd. American Border Peak for two weeks and then Ross Lake again for a month. You can bring all of your 5'2" and both your limp wrists up there and ask around...you'll find me.

I'll be here...little missy. Can't wait!
Thanks for the extra inch, at 5'1" every inch counts!

Just a hint for you... comprehension, reading, aural, or other, is a gift. Sadly you appear to have missed your package when it arrived. Read it again and see if you can figure out where you made so many mistakes.

After five years at CWU I do have a fair grasp of WA. I assume you are staying at the resort. Would be tough if you broke a toenail and they did not have a pedicure specialist on hand for your trauma management!

There have been lists generated a bunch of times here. I said over 200 and stand by that number easily. More than a few commented on what an idiot you are today. But do carry on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Miss shi tka qweer,

Nice try. No, only pontificating Main Character Syndrome elitists (an fn LIB teacher! I knew it) I knew it. I knew it! go to resorts. You use so many words to say nothing, your non-ness.

Yeah, get lessons in internet commenting as only a woke limpwrist as yourself would actually try to defend themselves online!

Wow! Your gay teacher barrel buddies will protect you. It's a teacher "class" thing.

You and that other little smokespoles are done with the Wilderness, huh...age, flab and ignorance has confirmed your couch trekker elitist status.

Your college inspired gender re-assignment surgery healing? You do provide a feminine view, shi tka qweer.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sh it ka Qweer,

I KNEW you were a little bitty teacher he/she/they/it. YOUR LIB elitist attitude. Not my fault that your hippie Mommy had a failed abortion and you're still Lib angry about it.

Do people start yawning after your the second pontification sentence? Try using one of the grand kid's laptops...they have newer stuff on 'em these days.

Grow the beard, missy...it is the one thing that reminds you of your former maleness during your San Francisco sojourn.

C'mon out...leave your guides back in sissyland, but don't be surprised if everyone here doesn't notice a little bitty couch trekker.

I KNEW you were a little saw-ed off elf. Betting the children's sizes saves you $$ at Main Character Syndrome - Clothing for Non-Binaries!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, you really got me...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I swear to gawd this place is like the movie Ground Hog Day whenever the topic of boot conditioning comes up. And with the same lead actor.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SKane
I swear to gawd this place is like the movie Ground Hog Day whenever the topic of boot conditioning comes up. And with the same lead actor.
In large part because people exactly like you say really stupid stuff based on zero experience, knowledge, or facts. Like one of the last threads were you asserted that beeswax was beeswax, no matter what else was in it.

Added nothing, and like this post of yours, is only to take a potshot at me. Now, tell me one thing, anything, that I have wavered on. One thing that was not tested and tested hard personally. And you just want to make noise.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Having met, hunted, fished, shot and more with hundreds of folks from the fire I am not very concerned about your appraisal skills. And even less impressed with your footwear selection skills.

But do go on.
So there are hundreds of members here who don't mind hanging out and hunting with a known thief. I'm shocked I tell ya, just shocked ! I won't hang around with thieves myself. Nor do the words of a thief carry any weight with me as it's been my experience that they're liars as well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Blackheart

But do go on.
So there are hundreds of members here who don't mind hanging out and hunting with a known thief. I'm shocked I tell ya, just shocked ! I won't hang around with thieves myself. Nor do the words of a thief carry any weight with me as it's been my experience that they're liars as well.
Just keep preaching what you know nothing about.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thief, huh...?

Rare for someone to throw out that accusation without corroborating evidence.

Both of you...I want to hear the details before I leave down range.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thief, huh...?

Rare for someone to throw out that accusation without corroborating evidence.

Both of you...I want to hear the details before I leave down range.
I suggest you cantact forum member "splattermatic". He knows all the details as it was his stock that was stolen. All of us who were here at the time saw Splatt's side of the story spewed out on these pages, along with his practically begging Art to just please send his stock back while all Art ever did was refuse to give any explanation as to what happened to Splatts stock and/or why he steadfastly refused to return it to it's rightful owner.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oooohhhh...report generated? Location name and we can access it.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have been using Sno-Seal for five decades.
It works for me.
I have hiked countless miles in slushy snow, dew soaked meadows and through shallow creeks, all day long with dry feet.

MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Epishemore, I am with you. Been using Huberds for quite a while and it works!

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

But do go on.

Old guy fight old guy fight!!!!

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S

But do go on.

Leave Blackshart alone, he is miserable enough.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 79S

But do go on.

Leave Blackshart alone, he is miserable enough.
Not much I hate worse than a thievin scumbag.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KC
Well…..how bout it guru??

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Obenauf’s Heavy Duty LP here

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Montana pitch blend has worked for me for many years https://www.montanapitchblend.com/

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, and while I'm not going to go back through the entire thread, believe this already came up here. Have been using it for probably at least 15 years.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I didn’t title the thread very well I think. The reason I started the thread was to describe the method I used for applying the Bees wax to a second pair of boots.

The first method I used was very messy and seemed to transfer a lot more heat into the boot (melted in pot, applied liquid with toothbrush, finish with heat gun).

My second attempt worked out a lot better.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mod7rem
I didn’t title the thread very well I think. The reason I started the thread was to describe the method I used for applying the Bees wax to a second pair of boots.

The first method I used was very messy and seemed to transfer a lot more heat into the boot (melted in pot, applied liquid with toothbrush, finish with heat gun).

to have Leather Boots to last many years > NEETS FOOT OIL and applied with a small paint brush . i work outside all my life tried other oils when young then when i became a pole climber /Lineman for 35 years that worked in all kinds of weather in Northern Minnesota my leather boots lasted at least 2 years before i had to have the boots resoled but the leather never wore out once treated with Neets Foot oil.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
I have been using plain beeswax for many decades on all sorts and brands of boots. Lined and unlined, makes zero difference aside from eliminating breathability.

Exactly my experience also. The standard breathable, waterproof membrane in the guts of boots today is GoreTex or a GoreTex clone. If you use beeswax on the outside of the boot (and I did for my AK and wet climate, cold weather boots) the boots no longer breathe. However, they are waterproof as long as the membrane is intact. My new boots required almost 1/4 pound of beeswax, and I used a heat gun carefully.

If you think beeswax or Snoseal will waterproof a full leather boot, you are in for a damp awakening. Best you'll get is a degree of water resistance. In cold weather this is a non-starter for me. In AZ I don't use waterproof boots 95% of the time. AK gets the beeswax/Goretex leather boot. Fortunately Thinsulate is minimally impacted by dampness. I think for full-winter hunting Micky-type boots would be better, or snow machine boots, because my existing beeswax leather ones wouldn't be warm enough for high mileage snow machine or ATV work in temps well below zero.

After 5 decades of hunting, crocs with good socks and woodstove proximity have been the best hunting footwear smile

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by mod7rem

to have Leather Boots to last many years > NEETS FOOT OIL and applied with a small paint brush . i work outside all my life tried other oils when young then when i became a pole climber /Lineman for 35 years that worked in all kinds of weather in Northern Minnesota my leather boots lasted at least 2 years before i had to have the boots resoled but the leather never wore out once treated with Neets Foot oil.
I love neatsfoot oil….for softening old, dried, neglected, leather that I need softened.

Never for waterproofing boots.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I appreciate that we are back to exchanging polite views on boot care. I like to mix a little pine tar into commercial mink oil and beeswax preparations. Good for the leather and gives a bit of water resistance.
I should just by a tub from the same folks Mule Deer does but you know; a tinkerer tinkers…

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
On boots I like to keep I follow the manufacturer’s directions on boot care.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just take them out of the box, then wear them. Oil makes leather soft and attracts dirt. In my experience Oil or wax or whatever just makes them break down faster and weakens them. I don't see how people can get boots to last so long. If I get 2 years, I'm happy. But I Quail hunt and call coyotes 90 percent and big game 10 percent. Schnees beartooths last good as do danner rainforest. But in my case, grass and dead weeds are super abrasive.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Hubards boot grease here. Treating the boots as needed. I'm not sure, but I think Montana pitch blend, is real similar to Hubards. Hubards is all I have used on my smokejumpers. Of the three pair I have, one pair was purchased in 1990. Rebuilt once and resoled three times. I'll stick to Hubards. We all have our favorite products.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Just take them out of the box, then wear them. Oil makes leather soft and attracts dirt. In my experience Oil or wax or whatever just makes them break down faster and weakens them. I don't see how people can get boots to last so long. If I get 2 years, I'm happy. But I Quail hunt and call coyotes 90 percent and big game 10 percent. Schnees beartooths last good as do danner rainforest. But in my case, grass and dead weeds are super abrasive.
Grass and dead weeds are abrasive on leather? Try crossing shale scree. I have literally worn through leather boots in a single hunt.

Wax keeps the water out and reduces wear like nothing else.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Funny.. you obviously learnt a few things... like the FACT you are an idiot POS. Like the fact I an in the 99.9% for height. Yet you had me pegged at short.

You pegged me at "short" because it means a lot to you. I am in the 99.9% metric.

That proves several things...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Funny.. you obviously learnt a few things... like the FACT you are an idiot POS. Like the fact I an in the 99.9% for height. Yet you had me pegged at short.

You pegged me at "short" because it means a lot to you. I am in the 99.9% metric.

Sheriff Joe is a retard and you're seven feet tall?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

A whannnbulance has been dispatched to your location. Until it arrives, continue screaming at the sky.

Obvious, it doesn't take much to trigger you, little guy. Neighbors put red flags on your trailer, yet?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SKane

Have you tried intermittent fasting?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
smokepole;
Good afternoon, almost getting to be evening I suppose and regardless I hope that today treated you acceptably thus far and that you're healthy.

Regarding intermittent fasting, I've got a couple family members who've found that to be helpful as it reduces their evening impulse eating. Unless I'm misunderstanding what intermittent fasting is and then that'd render the statement moot..... blush

However, when I met the new neighbors across the gully the other morning - a couple other neighbors had hazed a pair of recalcitrant 3 year old black bears up a tree in the new folks' place, I was wearing Zamberlan's that I'd waxed.

Oh and the new neighbors have bees, so promised me some beeswax this fall when they harvest the honey. grin

But I don't believe that the bees, the new neighbors or either of the bears practiced intermittent fasting.

Pro tip of the day is DO NOT stand underneath black bears who are stressed out smokepole, most especially if they've been raiding the neighborhood vineyards all night. The velocity and volume of the grape excrement was impressive.

Anyways sir, I've now lost all semblance of staying remotely on topic and will end with a sincere wish for a good season for you in all your hunts.

The eldest daughter and I were out once together so far but only saw a trio of Nuttall's Cottontails which are fairly rare here and a small adult bobcat which aren't rare exactly but it's been years since we've seen one.

Again good hunting, regardless of your boot dressing.. wink

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 09/14/23. Reason: schpell czech broked

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Pro tip of the day is DO NOT stand underneath black bears who are stressed out smokepole, most especially if they've been raiding the neighborhood vineyards all night. The velocity and volume of the grape excrement was impressive.

LOL, thanks for the laugh Dwayne. I just got back from a muzzleloader hunt, no elk this year with the smokepole. One morning I was back in camp and had a fair sized black bear come straight in from downwind. No flying grape excrement, but he was disappointed to find a human there and was in no hurry to leave.

Of course, I had neglected to get a bear tag.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
smokepole;
Thanks for the reply and hunt report therein.

Too bad about not packing a bear tag for sure.

When we first moved to BC, I wanted to shoot a bear or three and did just that and subsequently quick packing a bear tag.

All the bears I ran into after that ran away like good bears and the sun was sunny and the skies were not cloudy all day, until one morning this little idiot 4 or 5 year old didn't run away like a good bear.

Somehow it thought it could take the little fellow in the cowboy hat smokepole, despite me casting aspersions upon it's parenthood, lack of personal hygiene, overall appearance, etc. I'm told I'm loud for my size and had the volume at 11 as one might imagine, all the while pointing a .308 Norma at the thing, explaining that there were only 3 in it so the next sound it'd hear was going to be loud and terminal.

Anyways smokepole, after that little episode on the mountain I ponied up $15 for a BC resident bear tag, the theory being it's easier to notch a tag rather than have to call the CO over some fruitcake bear.

So a bear tag is the first tag I buy each spring when I renew my hunting license and even when cutting firewood in spring, there's a noisemaker or two in the pickup.

I want to say this year in the yard and immediate neighborhood we've had at least 3 single bears, the two that were treed the other day one of which might have been one of the three previous, then a honey sow with a cinnamon cub and this past Monday chocolate with cinnamon tips sow with 3 black cubs.

I do believe I'm close to suffering from some sort of bruin fatigue from them all.

All the best once more and again good hunting.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 09/15/23. Reason: more information

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, if only I'd cast aspersions, he might have run off sooner Better to have bear problems and bear fatigue than to live someplace where there aren't any.

Cheers Dwayne.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Raferman

Yes and no. Joe is a short retard with serious insecurities about his height. I am not 7' tall, but I am in the 99.9th percentile.

Attacking anyone on the internet over physical measures you do not know is ridiculous. It also means you believe it to be an insult. Only retards with a little man complex would insult someone over their height.

Then the moron went off on me for never doing anything. Linking a few prior threads should have settled that for him...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

A whannnbulance has been dispatched to your location. Until it arrives, continue screaming at the sky.

Obvious, it doesn't take much to trigger you, little guy. Neighbors put red flags on your trailer, yet?

Whatever you say Runt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
(({whanh whanh}))

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Somebody please check on the crying baby. IT will be easy to identify... maybe 36" long with a full beard and a fuller diaper...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I used a mink oil /beeswax mix on my last pair of boots (Scarpas). After ten years the leather was starting to crack a bit on one boot but they have remained fairly waterproof. The Vibram soles are worn nearly smooth.
My new Asolos are being treated the same way, and if I get ten years out of them, I'll probably be good. They have a gortex liner, so they are a bit different as far as waterproofing goes. GD

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
always even if the boots are gortex. It keeps the leather from getting wet and cold

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would suggest the wifeys hair dryer instead of a heat gun they don't need to be 350 degrees just warm them up, I used a standard applicator brush (new) that you use for putting kiwi on.

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Didn't read the whole thread, but a Kenetrek retailer recently told me that any warranty was void unless their products were used to treat the boots.

This made me wonder a few things like-how do they test it and are their leather products just rebranded obenaufs and nikwax ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tripod3
Didn't read the whole thread, but a Kenetrek retailer recently told me that any warranty was void unless their products were used to treat the boots.

This made me wonder a few things like-how do they test it and are their leather products just rebranded obenaufs and nikwax ?
I believe it's rebranded this:
[Linked Image from media.farmstore.com]
[Linked Image from media.farmstore.com]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Apply bi-weekly.

LOL

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Apply bi-weekly.

LOL
If a bi is applying it, weakly is an understatement...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KC

When I got my Kennetrek boots, I asked what the best leather treatment was. They told me Nikwax and no heat. Why mess with a $500.00 pair of boots with a $10.00 treatment?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by KC

When I got my Kennetrek boots, I asked what the best leather treatment was. They told me Nikwax and no heat. Why mess with a $500.00 pair of boots with a $10.00 treatment?
Because it actually works...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by KC

Because it actually works...

Exactly and beeswax and poultice is a not the answer, yet everyone is trying to fix a problem with the wrong solution…

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Yes and no. Joe is a short retard with serious insecurities about his height. I am not 7' tall, but I am in the 99.9th percentile.

Attacking anyone on the internet over physical measures you do not know is ridiculous. It also means you believe it to be an insult. Only retards with a little man complex would insult someone over their height.

Then the moron went off on me for never doing anything. Linking a few prior threads should have settled that for him...
Yeah and 99.9% of adults are between 4' and 8' tall so you can still be a really shrimpy little thief and be within that range.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We all were hoping your testicles install surgery would have been successful.

Unfortunately, it was not and you'll remain a woman...
...and still a deliberately stupid weak poster.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SuperCub

I did the same but now my toilet wobbles.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Yeah and 99.9% of adults are between 4' and 8' tall so you can still be a really shrimpy little thief and be within that range.

A little remidial arithmatic course would really help you. After that, try a basic Logic course...

Last edited by Sitka deer; 12/19/23.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

A little remidial arithmatic course would really help you. After that, try a basic Logic course...
It's completely logical as well as factual that 99.9% of adults are between 4' and 8' tall. I learned how not to be a thief when I was just a kid, which is something you obviously missed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

It's completely logical as well as factual that 99.9% of adults are between 4' and 8' tall. I learned how not to be a thief when I was just a kid, which is something you obviously missed.
Dunning-Kruger lives. You are an idiot. IF and I mean IF you know anything you should stick to it, and stop talking about stuff you know nothing about.

You obviously do not understand the basic concept of "percentile."

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Dunning-Kruger lives. You are an idiot. IF and I mean IF you know anything you should stick to it, and stop talking about stuff you know nothing about.

You obviously do not understand the basic concept of "percentile."
You talk percentile and I'll talk percentage. Makes no differnce in what you are and that's a loud mouthed, know it all scumbag thief. The fact that anybody here will talk to you, much less hunt with you or list you as a friend proves what was recently said to me in a PM from another member is the plain truth and I quote " This site is full of the worst pieces of shyt that call themselves outdoorsmen on the entire planet". You can make up all the excuses and bullshyt stories you want Art but it won't change the fact that you're nothing more than a common lowlife thief.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Blackshart, you are not worth the electrons... may your life continue to be as miserable as it currently is.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
But, but…someone sent him a PM!
😂

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
But, but…someone sent him a PM!
😂
Anonymous haters will Anonymous!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Obenauf's.

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. Winston Churchill.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Blackshart, you are not worth the electrons... may your life continue to be as miserable as it currently is.
My life is fabulous you fuuckin clown.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
WDF dose this have to do with beeswax on boots ? . ya'll need to get a room and work this out

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beeswax is becoming the new Wiggy's in the Backpacking forum... laugh

Last edited by pointer; 12/21/23.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The manufacturer of the boots I have now recommend Obeneaufs LP. That is what I use. My boots are lasting well and are water resistant.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Miss shi tka qweer,

Nice try. No, only pontificating Main Character Syndrome elitists (an fn LIB teacher! I knew it) I knew it. I knew it! go to resorts. You use so many words to say nothing, your non-ness.

Yeah, get lessons in internet commenting as only a woke limpwrist as yourself would actually try to defend themselves online!

Wow! Your gay teacher barrel buddies will protect you. It's a teacher "class" thing.

You and that other little smokespoles are done with the Wilderness, huh...age, flab and ignorance has confirmed your couch trekker elitist status.

Your college inspired gender re-assignment surgery healing? You do provide a feminine view, shi tka qweer.

This is disappointing, I thought all this kind of bullschitt was limited to the “campfire forum”, I guess times are a changing everywhere.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
When you turn “beeswax on boots” into a demonstration of “poop for brains”, it’s a clear sign of much need for help.
Very sad.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 44mc, 2500HD, 35, 15 invisible), 1,619 guests, and 985 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,119
Posts18,483,570
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.