Print Thread
Hop To
#18571732 07/10/23
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
The thread about old Ruger M77 bringing high prices jogged my memory about a M77 I have in the back of my safe. It is a stainless, short action 7mm SAUM in a laminated Compact stock with a Limb Saver pad. It would be sold with 200+/- once fired brass, a set of Hornady dies and the original stock and box.

Any ideas on what would be a fair asking price?

Thanks in advance!!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
D
$850

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Deere_Man
$850

More than $850.00. That's actually funny. How much do you know about his particular rifle? Did you know they only made it for one year? Do you know what year? The rifle in question is worth about $1,200.00 actually, if in really good condition. It's a rare bird and collectors are always looking for rare rifles. Hell, the boat paddle Ruger m77 mk2's sell for more than $850.00. What is "fair" asking price depends on how much the op is willing to let it go for. More than fair would be roughly $1,000.00. IMHO..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
D
But it’s no boat paddle stock is it? $850 seems like a fair price. That’s all I would pay for it, but only if that cartridge was what I was after. Sight unseen. Lucky for me, I don’t need a 7mm SAUM. I only went up to $850 because he has reloading supplies and an extra stock. It may be worth more to a collector of semi-obscure M77’s.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It's a cool rifle. No idea what it's worth. Seen them go for decent money and then seen then sell real reasonable. Depends on the buyer I'd think for that one.

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Deere_man -
Don't sweat Mr. Passive Aggressive – your logic was sound.
Without the brass, you're likely not far off but it sure makes it more attractive to a potential buyer with the brass included.

JD -
If for some strange reason a buyer doesn't want the brass, I'll buy it. blush blush

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I can't speak for the real world but one of our local shops had one similar on consignment. It sat for over a year with a hang tag of $900. It was gone the last time I was there but I do not know if it sold or not.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Barrel length?

Good rifle of course, but the cartridge is a dead duck. Read all the threads about troubles finding ammo and you’ll understand what you’re up against with buyers that don’t handload. OTOH, 200 cases, presumably fired in that rifle, makes it attractive for those that roll their own.

There’s probably some collector out there looking to fill a void that also would be interested, but that may take time.

Can’t say for certain what it would bring, only that if I needed a rifle (!) I wouldn’t go over that $850 mark. My son recently picked up a nice Montana .270 for $900, with a SWFA 10x on top. Ain’t a seller’s market in this region now for certain.

EDIT: Checked ammoseek and the only available was HSM, $114 a box!

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Please keep in mind that you're asking for an opinion and you'll certainly get them here! Lol! My opinion, the cartridge will hold this back some, but with all you stated, +/- $1000. All you can do is put it out there at what you're willing to sell it for and consider how fast you want to sell it. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do with it.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your kind help!! Now for the rest of the story…

This afternoon, I talked to an old friend of mine who goes thru guns like a hyper 3 y/o looking for the toy in a box of breakfast cereal. I had talked to him about selling my old Browning Superposed Broadway and he was pretty interested in the little Ruger. He shot me a price which put the Ruger at about $850-$900. I took it AND I kept the brass, bullets, dies etc. so, I’ll list that and some other stuff in the classifieds in the near future.

Once again, Thank You for the advice!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There you go, congrats!

And SKane has already expressed interest in the brass too.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Deere_Man
$850

That would go quick with all the accessories.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your kind help!! Now for the rest of the story…

This afternoon, I talked to an old friend of mine who goes thru guns like a hyper 3 y/o looking for the toy in a box of breakfast cereal. I had talked to him about selling my old Browning Superposed Broadway and he was pretty interested in the little Ruger. He shot me a price which put the Ruger at about $850-$900. I took it AND I kept the brass, bullets, dies etc. so, I’ll list that and some other stuff in the classifieds in the near future.

Once again, Thank You for the advice!
Went for just about what I said it would. Like I said, $1,000 would be very fair. That was with everything you listed. Your brass and dies and bullets probably worth another $150. If you would have listed the rifle on gunbroker, it probably would have sold for $1,100.00

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The brass will likely bring $200+ just by itself, maybe even $250-300....its not exactly easy to find right now.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Barrel length?

Good rifle of course, but the cartridge is a dead duck. Read all the threads about troubles finding ammo and you’ll understand what you’re up against with buyers that don’t handload. OTOH, 200 cases, presumably fired in that rifle, makes it attractive for those that roll their own.

There’s probably some collector out there looking to fill a void that also would be interested, but that may take time.

Can’t say for certain what it would bring, only that if I needed a rifle (!) I wouldn’t go over that $850 mark. My son recently picked up a nice Montana .270 for $900, with a SWFA 10x on top. Ain’t a seller’s market in this region now for certain.

EDIT: Checked ammoseek and the only available was HSM, $114 a box!

I know of a dealer that has conservatively at least 20 boxes of Remington Ammo that has sat on the Shelf since that round was first introduced. He will not ship FWIW. If you want info on it PM me

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
What is the LOP on such a rifle?

Conduct is the best proof of character.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,823
Posts18,516,764
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.